Dark Angels

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shadow Ranger

Dark Angels

#1 Post by Shadow Ranger »

I'm thinking of doing dark angels. So far I have: 1 Chapter Master with Powerfist and Plasma Pistol, 1 10 man tactical sq and 1 dreadnought with a multi-melta and power claw. I'm completely new to them and do not have the codex. Any help with the fluff or army composition + tactics. Any useful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :D
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.
Giladis
The Merlord

#2 Post by Giladis »

Hello

For background look here http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Angels

Well just like any marine army they are jack of all trades masters of none but thanks to their characters can have some of the best troop choices in the games supported with Tactical squads.

What you have is a good start and would suggest developing from there on your own. As much as getting info from veteran players helps, it is far better from what I have seen to start playing with what you have and slowly add things to your force you like the look of or you feel are lacking from your force.

Cheers
Caladaidoomblade

Re: Dark Angels

#3 Post by Caladaidoomblade »

Hi, I play dark angels and it's always nice to see someone else turn to the 'dark' side!

What you have is a good start indeed. The commander doesn't have the best equipment in the world, but it'll do. With Dark Angels you have some options to field different armies, like all-terminator or all-bikes/landspeeders, but that requires the use of 'special characters' and I wouldn't recommend starting like that.

As far as what you need for a basic army? An additional tactical squad is a must. Since these are your troops and therefore your game-winners in most battles, 2 10-man squads is a good start.

After that, you have to decide what you want. To start with, you should probably make some choices between the following units:
-tanks (predators/whirlwinds/landraiders) or devastators or landspeeder squadrons
-assault squads or ravenwing bikes or terminators

now I'm not saying these units perform the same roles, but if you choose one of the units from each category to start with, you won't need the rest immediately.

I have a 1500 points dark angels force that I use, with only 'normal' marines, so no vehicles, bikes or termies. It looks like this:

Chaplain with jump pack (goes with the assault squad)

5 veterans with close combat weapons as a backup assault unit or distraction unit
10 tactical marines with plasma weapons
10 tactical marines with plasma weapons
10 tactical marines with flamer and heavy bolter
10 assault marines with a power fist
10 devastators with 2 plasma cannons and 2 heavy bolters
10 devastators with 2 missile launchers and 2 lascannons

Now I already own a 2000 points Deathwing army and 1500 points of ravenwing, so I have the option to switch things out, but the army above performs pretty well in my book. It has a lot of firepower and some hard-hitting counter-assault units.
[quote="Tyrion Reaper in a topic about murder"]I would therefore be very careful of ever annoying Caladaidoomblade as he has thought this out and you might go missing without a trace
[/quote]
[b]Hell is other people
- Sartre[/b]