War of the Ring

A forum for all other games which don't fit into the other gaming forums. Elves (and other races) in other tabletop wargame systems. The place to discuss systems like, Mordheim, Warmachine, Infinity and Warthrone. But also topics that relate to any other game such as 40K, Dropzone Commander, board games or PC/Console gaming belong here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Ogrob Returns

War of the Ring

#1 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

My interest in GW games recently re-emerged at random, first with plans towards Warhammer again. 'Twas more then two years since I shelved my dwarves, and a lot of things have been in the way of me playing.

When researching possible birthday presents for a certain person, I stumbled over the upcoming War of the Ring game, and it looks like everything I want. Right now, I'm painting some wood elves in preparation.

If you havent heard of it, WotR features larger battles with the LotR models, mounted on movement trays to make formations more like in Warhammer Fantasy. Heroes either act as movable unit upgrades, or on some occations like monsters.

And there's lots of dice to roll.

I was at my local indie game store, and they told me they'd be running demos at the sci fi con here in Gothenburg next weekend, so I'm going to try to get a closer look.

As far as I understand, most GW stores are already running demos, and what I've read, it seems largely positive. Tactical, lots of killing, and lots of dice.

Any one else anticipating this game?
We must not remind them that [b]giants[/b] walk the earth.
Shadow Ranger

#2 Post by Shadow Ranger »

Yea, i had a practise game the other day. Its really good and quite simple too. Make sure you bring a wizard though - they are battle winners. I had khamul the easterling in a unit of haradrim raiders (i used my harad army) , they stopped right infromt of 24 easterlings, were shot at by 16 easterling archers. Any wound which is taken on khamuls unit, on a 5+ can a) be discounted or b) can be put onto another unit within 12 inches. He caused 4 wounds with the shooting, i rolled 3 5+'s, one haradrim raider fell and 3 of his easterling warriors! Its a good game, i came away with £12 worth of movement trays. BTW as u collect dwarves, could you comment on my LotR Dwarves article plz.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne.
The Ogrob Returns

#3 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

Oh, my Dwarves are the warhammer variety. I never played the other LotR game.
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#4 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

Ogrob! is that you?! Oooooooooo >>>>>HUG<<<<<< Welcome back :D

I'm interested to see what happens with WotR too. I'm collecting Rohan warriors and horsemen at present.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
Raukov

#5 Post by Raukov »

I'll be expanding my Mordor SBG forces into a WoR army, but it'll be a slow process, since it takes me forever to paint even rank & file models, and I procrastinate a lot (thanks internet)

I'll also be starting an Angmar army specifically for WoR at some point - Angmar has always interested me, but I didn't like having to rely on orcs (which I have in all my mordor armies) as troops, and specters just don't cut it; the ghosts in the WoR Angmar list finally offer me the undead host I wanted, and with exquisite new models to boot.

(of course, the promise of SBG statlines for the new WoR units and characters in White Dwarf could well mean my ghostly legion will be able to wreak havoc in both games, too? Who knows!)
[size=75][b]Azreghai Wormkin, Ghöl of the North, Eater of the Dead, Plague-Wight of Onogal[/b]

30/4/5 : 387 kills

[i]Maggot Fetus, rapture of the conqueror worm,
Blackest Venom, the ghost in the carcass womb
Teeth like thorns, carrier of plague and filth
Spine crawler, plague-bearing virus-child[/size][/i]
The Ogrob Returns

#6 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

Thanks Si, nice to see you around.

I'm painting Wood Elves now, they'll be allies and might get some play as a solo army if my lovely girl wants to try. For now, I think she just wants to play with them. LotR fanatic that one....

My main plan is a rohan force, probably under Eomer and Eowyn, but I haven't gotten any models for it yet. Need to finish those elves first...
The Ogrob Returns

#7 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

Played a very quick demo game, but it was set up to be very quick in deed. And to be an easy win for Good. But anyways.

Wasn't able to try any manouvering really, just get a look at the combat system, which I like. It's fast, pretty easy, and invovles lots of dice, which makes luck play a little less role in combat.

Overall, I like what little impression I got of it. The rulebook is gorgeous, I got some quick looks at armies and scenarios.
choclatecruncher16

#8 Post by choclatecruncher16 »

i had a tru the other day. its not bad. everything is done quickly and speeds up battles dramaticaly. having elves im building up my high elf army, but even if i didnt have them i would get them just because they finally reflect their background. and they are awsome allround. though i cant help think its all just a con to get us to spend more money on plastic soilders lol. but wotr gets my aproval. :D
- Human

#9 Post by - Human »

War of the Ring looks fantastic. I've only heard good things about it so far regarding the rules, and the new models look superb. I like how they've designed heroes to work, adding effectiveness on the whole as opposed to acting more individually like in Warhammer.
- Human
The Ogrob Returns

#10 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

I have the book, and it is awesome!

Full color, nice pictures and all that. The only part I don't get any 'wow'-moments from is the hobby section, but well... I spent the last two months practising my painting skills in preparation for the game so meh there.

Rules are awesome, it's everything I want from a warhammer-style game. I'd say it's faster, more tactical, better balanced, and easy to learn.

And another plus, my local game shop has at least a couple of players painting armies for WotR. All is good.
Shadow Ranger

#11 Post by Shadow Ranger »

I have the book now too and I agree that it is awesome. It has just become my favourite game! I played games in my local GW on saturday from 9am to 5pm! The rules are better and the book is pretty good as now, you don't need to buy separate sourcebooks. My only concern is the Mumakil who kill much more of your own troops than the enemy! Magic is much better and makes more sense and I am a big fan of the ringwraiths as you are forced to choose a wraith for them to be e.g. the Betrayer or Khamul the Easterling. Thumbs up for GW!
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#12 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

I had a look through this and I'm awfully tempted. It looked amazing, and I have enough plastic models to play this. The problem is that there is no one else around here who'd play, I can't really afford the book, and I have no time anyway.

I really like the individualised Ringwraiths too. I'm very curious to see if they match up at all with the old individual Ringwraiths as designed by Iron Crown Enterprises back when they had the RPG and CCG licence for Tolkien, they had names and backgrounds for all of them.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
The Ogrob Returns

#13 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

My local store has some interest in this, so I'm happy there.

But I now encountered a new problem: I need to make a list! I haven't made army lists since the "new" dwarf book came out for Warhammer. Which should be a solid three years ago.

My in-game wants and my funding do not agree. Somehow, my vallet can't seem to understand that 65 hobbit archers is a splendid idea.
Raukov

#14 Post by Raukov »

The Ogrob Returns wrote:My in-game wants and my funding do not agree.
This is the very essense of GW and will never, ever not be true.

My army's slowly taking shape - it's 4 companies of morannon orcs and a troll, plus characters, so far. Having trouble getting enough Mordor Uruks (metal) and black Numenóreans (metal, only 3 models) together to make companies, though.

Also having trouble getting them painted since I'm working on three painting-contest entries and also doing up 20 dwarves for someone else... stunty lil' bastards.
[size=75][b]Azreghai Wormkin, Ghöl of the North, Eater of the Dead, Plague-Wight of Onogal[/b]

30/4/5 : 387 kills

[i]Maggot Fetus, rapture of the conqueror worm,
Blackest Venom, the ghost in the carcass womb
Teeth like thorns, carrier of plague and filth
Spine crawler, plague-bearing virus-child[/size][/i]
The Ogrob Returns

#15 Post by The Ogrob Returns »

I settled on some rangers instead of hobbits in the end, and my outriders and elite riders will all be converted, so I'm looking at all plastic beside the heroes.

Building the army will take me some time though, I'm keeping a pretty tight budget, even if I have cash to spare. Sometimes (like this week), I seem to hit a string of unexpected expenses, and I'm a student without a job, so I'm not exactly flowing over with cash.
Rhawtir

#16 Post by Rhawtir »

I must agree that I am very tempted to try this new game out :D
I've always loved the minis for lotr, but I was very dissapointed in the rules for the skirmish game, so this seems like what I've been looking for.

I am thinking of either an elven host, or a moria/angband army :O
Look and see the sky turn red.
Like blood, it covers over me.
And soon the sea shall give up her dead.
We'll raise an empire from the bottom of the sea.
Shadow Ranger

#17 Post by Shadow Ranger »

I do think the skirmish game is good but War of the Ring is really worth a try the models are amazing, and the rules match that too. As an added bonus you don't need to buy any sourcebooks. Im planning on getting a Dwarf, an Elf, an Isenguard army as I already have lots of haradrim. Go have a practise game down at your local store it's really worth it.
Original Dragon Prince

#18 Post by Original Dragon Prince »

I havn't played lotr in over a year since I've always had trouble finding opponents. But this new game has finally sparked interest at my lgs and it seems like I have enough painted models to make at least 4 companies of second age elf warriors led by Elrond. I havn't seen the book yet though, how exactly do heroes work and is Elrond still a beast?
Warhammer, at it's core, is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. As long as all choices in an army book fall under these categories, with their inherent strengths and weaknesses, there is balance. Imbalance occurs when the designers make a Rock that is immune to Paper. Daemon Princes, Ironblasters, etc.
Shadow Ranger

#19 Post by Shadow Ranger »

Elrond is still a beast in combat, but he can inspire and heal other units. Heroes can perform Heroic Actions if they spent a might point, e.g. Epic Defense which allows a formation to have a +2 Defense bonus for a turn. There are two types of heroes: Epic Heroes (Gandalf, Gothmog) and Upgrade Heroes (Haradrim Chieftan, Captain of Gondor) Epic heroes can peform the heroic actions, each hero has a set of different ones and can move about between different formations the upgrade heroes; let the formation use its might, courage and the command company can use his might. Try it its worth it! d