High Elf Unit Ranking

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Azaireal

High Elf Unit Ranking

#1 Post by Azaireal »

Easy exercise, list the high elf units in the order you would select them for a Highlander army (Assume you may only take one of each unit). How would you rank the armies?

Tyrion/Etharion/Imrik/Frostheart Caradryan
Prince on Dragon/Archmage/Dragonmage
Bolt Thrower/Maidens
Seahelm(w/wo Skycutter)/Alarielle/Anointed/Caradryan/Mage/Loremaster/Handmaiden/Teclis/Pheonixes
Eagles/Lionchariot/Pheonix Guard/Reavers/
Sword Masters/White Lions/Dragon Princes/Prince /Korhil
Shadow Warriors/Alith Anar
Lothern Sea Guard/Skycutters
Tiranoc Chariot/Spearmen/Archers/Silverhelms

On a side note, the switch to AoS is a lot like the transition of traditional Napoleanic armies to trench warfare in WW1.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

Re: High Elf Unit Ranking

#2 Post by Elithmar »

Azaireal wrote:On a side note, the switch to AoS is a lot like the transition of traditional Napoleanic armies to trench warfare in WW1.
Everyone knows that the Allies won because they had Caradryan on a frostheart phoenix. :lol:
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
gromo

#3 Post by gromo »

Eh, this totally depends on how you balance your games. If you read the thread "easy balance" you will see what I do to make my core more effective. Spearmen can be right up with phoenix guard.

Just for kicks, I would put swordmasters on the same tier as PG. They are great blenders, however since White lions try to do the job of both PG and swordmasters but neither job well, I'd say that alone kicks them down a notch.

Imrik is only good if you have other dragons, otherwise Prince on a Dragon with the shield all day.

Shadow warriors can be very good, especially with cover and alith anar. I wouldn't put them so far away from maidens. And Tyrion is good, idk about the top though.

This game really is more about synergy though, I wouldn't say that any troop is necessarily better than another if your army needs something to fill the purpose.
Azaireal

#4 Post by Azaireal »

"There can be only one" Warscroll is balance enough.

Tyrions/Etharion/Imrik/Frostheart Caradryan are most effective per space. Any synergy with these models is a priority over other unit synergy. All other synergies are lower priority so they are placed lower in the list. Contingencies are welcome of course, but some units are initially better for synergy bonuses so they rank higher in the list.

Objectively, what order would you place models shows how you value "traits". I value damage per inch (Wound roll- rend - Number of wounds).

Spears can have decent values but without rend most of their damage potential is moot. Consider Sigmarines to be the basic unit (Pretty sure they will have Nine or ten variants soon enough), so being unable to get past there armour is bad.

That being said, Dragon Prince character allows you to use any three other character traits making them the most effective general (when applicable) so Imrik should almost never be in charge. Prince on Dragon is my fifth choice because of this, but it doesn't really matter which Dragons you take anyway as they will have similar results. Taking one of each might be better than only taking Princes marginally, depending on how much magic defense you end up needing. I wish I modeled mine with the halberd.

That being said, FROST-Caradryan is so powerful it's the only model I've seen with an inbuilt army camp restriction (there is no rule saying you may only take one of each named character).
gromo

#5 Post by gromo »

Azaireal wrote: That being said, FROST-Caradryan is so powerful it's the only model I've seen with an inbuilt army camp restriction (there is no rule saying you may only take one of each named character).
I agree. He also brings along another one of our most powerful units, the PG. Those two units will likely be the start of our most powerful lists.

You may not be a huge fan because they don't rend, but their durability along with the free buff from the Frostheart I believe more than makes up for it.

I am also curious why Imrik over a Prince on a Dragon? The damage output is essentially the same but the Prince has a 4+ re-rollable.
gromo

#6 Post by gromo »

Azaireal wrote:
That being said, FROST-Caradryan is so powerful it's the only model I've seen with an inbuilt army camp restriction (there is no rule saying you may only take one of each named character).
And I'm also going to have to disagree with you there. There can be many anointed on a phoenix but there can ONLY be 1 Caradryan. It states it under the Frosthearts rules.