Elegant house rule for fielding army

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...

Would this work

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 14

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Elegant house rule for fielding army

#31 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel an elf is largely an elf at the end of the day. I have armies of 1980's models that I use at tournaments with no problem. Similarly with Dwarfs, Orcs etc.. Many independent manufacturers sell similar models that fit in fine. There might be a problem with the much smaller figures of the 70's/early 80's.

But I suspect they won't fit AoS so well.

As far as getting more of the existing stuff goes, there will always be a ton second-hand on the net. I also feel there are so many independents, classic-style stuff will continue to be made.
AD8899

#32 Post by AD8899 »

I think we are just going to disagree on aesthetics, then - which is not a terrible thing, to be honest. No two people will see the look of things exactly the same way.

For me, if you put a Mantic Elf next to a GW Elf, the difference is striking - to the extent I'd not have them in the same collection (or give Mantic ones house room, but that's another issue).

Personal taste, though, is just that.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#33 Post by SpellArcher »

There are limits, I agree. But the main thing I believe, is consistency within each army. I have a few LOTR's models in my army of 80's Jes Goodwin elves and they fit in just fine, despite being slightly smaller, where Island of Blood elves wouldn't. But I recently played a guy whose army had a mix of IoB and 90's elves and that worked just fine.
Loriel

#34 Post by Loriel »

I considered another niche house rule.

Let the opponent do the choices of your unit / model count... That mechanic would be really interesting ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Azaireal

#35 Post by Azaireal »

I feel that the best approach would be to apply `Supply`and `Support`policy to army construction.

Its more of self imposed narrative restrictions where army composition is representative of the availability of troops based on the current location of the battle.

Is there enough food for the soldiers?
Does the army provide enough 'gold' to keep the ranks together?
Can the political factions backing the army maintain control over the force?
Will the force inevitable turn on itself during battle (For slave, gold, personal vendetta, political assassinations)?
How well re-enforced is the army? Can it maintain military strength after the attrition of the march/natural harshness of the environment?
Does the army contain the necessary engineers and technical support to keep the 'machines' going forward?
Are the giants/dragons/hydras/ogres eating all the other soldiers?
Did Jon Snow just decide to lead a volunteer force to preemptively strike against Roose Bolton's Winterfell resulting in unexpected political change in the camp?

Does the army "make sense"?

My approach is fall back to more or less a campaign based game where each person would have territory to back up their army and supply lines and troop movements representing how and where they could defend/attack in a turn base 'total war' situation.

I like total War.

I hope that game can replace WHFB for me.