Warscrolls

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Mentheus of Chrace

Warscrolls

#1 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

The Compendium is now live.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/age ... ompendiums

New Highborn Aelf Prince Althran, anyone seen that character named before?
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Warscrolls

#2 Post by Giladis »

Isn't that the guy from the Island of Blood?
Mentheus of Chrace

#3 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

You're spot on, he's wielding "Stormrider's Sword" so that's a match.

But he's also on foot, not on a sweet griffon model.

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Giladis
The Merlord

#4 Post by Giladis »

That is the one you can get in finecast.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#5 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I like how these special rules sound, I like all these re-rolls from banners, musicians and leaders abilities. It is very nice to see that monsters have their abilities dependent on the number of wounds. Good to see that the best save is 3+ (at least this is my impression after looking at WoC and Empire scrolls).

It is the first time I actually am willing to give it a try.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Mentheus of Chrace

#6 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

There's a lot of hilarious rules too, check out the Dragon 'theme list' special rules for example. (Settra is also a favourite of mine).

I too was going to give the game a try and see how the new army plays. And then I realised it's just missing one little detail that is kind of important.... and looks like it was omitted on purpose.

So it looks like I'll just follow the fluff this edition.

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#7 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It's not a game. It's playing with toys. The "special" rules confirm it. Look at the grail knights, settra, nagash etc...

The one for Longbeards would happen naturally- and part of me wonders if it's GW taking a shot at it's long time supporters.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#8 Post by Galharen »

Let the children play with their toys and let us, WFB players, stick to 8th edition. Seems reasonable by far.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#9 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Yep. We'll be staying far away from this. Except maybe when the kids want to play.

We've gone back to 3rd over 8th (with house rules to cover new things we want), but to be honest 8th with 3rd ed formations and movement rules might actually be better. Either one is miles better than AoS.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#10 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ Mentheus of Chrace

Which detail do you have in mind?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Mentheus of Chrace

#11 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

@ Swordmaster

Points costs.

I sort of understand why they have chosen to discard them - they figure the tournament community will just comp whatever they print anyway - but now there is no way to play the game out of the box at all unless you don't care if most of your games are Joffrey's Teachable Moment.

I don't want to be a downer so I will not belabour the point. If people can have fun playing AoS more power to them, I just see too much wrong to fix.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#12 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Yes, I thought so but decided to ask to be sure :)

This game can go wrong in so many ways but I guess we have already experienced that. The funny thing is that I had problems with competitive players (in terms of attitude rather than where I met them). They simply wanted to win too much and looked for loopholes or didn't want to agree on a solution if it didn't fit them.

I am not saying AoS is a great product, I have a lot of doubts. For example, I still expect the existing ranges and models to be systematically replaced by new ones. And I am sure new war scrolls will make them more awesome and cool than the old ones. We have experienced a power creep many times so far. There is no reason we are not going to see it again.

But I also know that if I were to play any game with a person who sees the things from the similar point of view and is flexible enough to talk over any ambiguous situations then we will have fun for sure. And since I got intrigued by the way these new rules sound I would like to give it a try. I might even write a report from such game :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#13 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

If this was just a side game they were putting out in addition to Warhammer I'd actually be fairly excited about it. It provides a way for quick games, the rules are simple to learn, and so unspecific that they aren't confusing. It's a way to use models you might otherwise not, and entry cost can be as low as you want. All of those are positive things. And I'm sure it would have helped them sell some more models.

As the new warhammer it's awful.

I can't figure out why they didn't just do both. I mean seriously, how long do you think it took them to make up these rules?
Malossar
Something Cool

#14 Post by Malossar »

I think with Point values this game could be great. Sure its not warhammer 8th edition but AoS seems fun and exciting. something new for GW and I can't wait to try.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
aquietfrog

#15 Post by aquietfrog »

It seems that the swordmasters have more survivability than the white lions in the shooting phase.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#16 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

aquietfrog wrote:It seems that the swordmasters have more survivability than the white lions in the shooting phase.
And clan rats will tear either the shreds.
Bolt Thrower

#17 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Bolt throwers with 2 crew can fire 12 bolts? That's crazy talk.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#18 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Bolt Thrower wrote:Bolt throwers with 2 crew can fire 12 bolts? That's crazy talk.
I mean, I guess. But since it all costs the same nothing it's hard to say anything is strong/weak.
Davariel
Chronicler

#19 Post by Davariel »

Having glanced over the warscrolls for the two armies (Brets and HE) I own, I don't think this is too bad at all. On the whole it looks like GW have done a decent job of capturing the identity/playstyle of each unit, still don't see how anything can really work without some sort of points system, but other than that I can see a lot of potential!

My first impressions (good and bad):

- Monsters losing effectiveness as they take wounds is a brilliant idea, love it
- Magic seems really bland... hoping it gets expanded on later
- Phoenix Guard still have a special ability to ignore wounds on a 4+, happy to see there's still more than one sort of save
- I still don't like the idea of wounding everything with equal ease
- Bretonnian Lords have a higher bravery than High Elf Princes :shock:
fransotto

#20 Post by fransotto »

I quote "Spiney Norman" on warseer as I think he summarize it perfectly (sorry if its the wrong topic);

Originally Posted by Hoffa

The target audience is not 12 year olds it is 10 year olds is what I make of it. These warscrolls are comedy gold. I'm starting to belive that someone at GW does not like the death of the old world one bit and is taking these scrolls as an opportunity to be passive aggressive of it.
I fundamentally disagree, IMHO these will be some of the worst people to play this game with.
Age of sigmar seems to be design for people who don't take their games too seriously, are prepared to extensively self-moderate, and aree looking for something different to the classic straight-laced wargames that oversaturated the market, does that sound like a child to you? Based on most of the responses so far I'd say vast swathes of the warseer community don't have the maturity to deal with AoS, let alone ten year olds.

This game is not for WAAC players and I just love it. It will be very interesting to see how the community will be developing.

"Synergy-hammer" they say, some say "Deck-building-hammer", for me it sounds like the pound is deeper than first glance... Anyway, my hobby-mojo is back and I am happy. :)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#21 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

But warhammer was always best played that way as well. And it offered more as far as complexity.

This game has it's place, it's just very sad that it's a replacement instead of an addition.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#22 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

We're already looking at it at club, using the wounds as a kind of points.
I made a fluffy Sea Patrol list;
Mage.
Sea Helm.
23x Sea Guard.
Eagle Claw with two crew.
5x Shadow Warriors.
5x Reavers.
Will try and have a game tomorrow at club.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
RogueSun

#23 Post by RogueSun »

The thing is...this actually looks REALLY fun. I mean, OK, take out the weird rules that have people riding imaginary ponies or whatnot, but the rules are clear, the idea behind each model and army is still there quite honestly, every unit seems good. Like, EVERY unit. You can now use those sweet models you like because you think they look cool and not be laughed at. I understand why you don't have the points value, but it is somewhat difficult to gauge how many models to bring. If I build a fluffy Caledor army that has lots of dragons I shouldn't have the same number of models my opponent has, but it's hard to tell their power vs. numbers. I'm sure with time the larger community will work out some kind of system.
Nyeave

#24 Post by Nyeave »

The lack of any decent way to balance armies is a little disturbing. I mean in theory i can bring 3 dragons against 5 spearmen and i'll apparently be the underdog and get a sudden death roll...
Appart from that it looks interesting although magic seems very bland and there is no incentive not to stack a character with any possible upgrade either.
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Teledor

#25 Post by Teledor »

I've read everything and I just don't know what to make of it.

Magic is effectively gone. Magic made it fantasy... Ugh. The winds of magic were wild but this system is awful.

What makes the game balanced is purely down to coming to agreement or house ruling the game prior to a game. So 15-30 minutes of discussing lists and haggling before even playing - FUN!

I dunno. No flee baiting or complex strategic movement just seems lacking. It really does seem like GW's intent is mash your units towards each other and roll dice!

Others have said it, but do you just get upgrades... Why even bother with making them options if there isn't some rhyme or reason to take or not take.

I'll have to play it but it seems unentertaining.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#26 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I dunno. No flee baiting or complex strategic movement just seems lacking. It really does seem like GW's intent is mash your units towards each other and roll dice!
The sad part is this game will have it's own "tactics", and after a year or two people will think they are just as good.
HERO

#27 Post by HERO »

I want to sell everything I have right now. :(
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#28 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

HERO wrote:I want to sell everything I have right now. :(
Nah, 8th will be around for a long time yet.
HERO

#29 Post by HERO »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
HERO wrote:I want to sell everything I have right now. :(
Nah, 8th will be around for a long time yet.
I'm not interested in a fan-supported game. Official or bust.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Teledor

#30 Post by Teledor »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
The sad part is this game will have it's own "tactics", and after a year or two people will think they are just as good.
Also, some of the special rules are just ridiculous, almost like GW's trolling veteran players.

For Greasus in Ogre Kingdoms:

commAnd Ability
Everyone Has Their Price: If Greasus Goldtooth uses this ability, select an enemy unit anywhere on the battlefield and choose one of the effects listed below:
- The unit cannot move in its next turn. - The unit cannot move, attack or cast
spells in its next turn.
- All models in the unit immediately flee. - The unit changes sides and immediately
comes under your control.
Then, offer your opponent a bribe (this
can be anything you want to offer). If your opponent accepts your bribe, the chosen effect takes place – otherwise, nothing happens. Players are free to haggle over the offered bribe, or propose a counter-offer...

Bribe your opponent IN REAL LIFE...

W.
T.
F.

GW - this is supposed to be escapist hobby, not blending of the real world (Real World: Age of Sigmar?) with the tabletop world... come on. There's a night goblin one where if the player is wearing a hoodie... Etc.

Wow.
Last edited by Teledor on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.