The rules

All discussions related to games of fantasy battles such as AoS, T9A, KoW, MESBG, WAP, Warmaster, etc go here, including army construction, comp creation, campaign and scenarios design, etc...
Crymsonn

Re: The rules

#61 Post by Crymsonn »

Firstly, I was the same when I thought about balance. But considering you don't need to reveal you army list you can simply keep adding or finish deploying at any time balances itself. Due to sudden death rules means you have to pay attention and accomodate for your opponents choices.

Secondly, we will find certain weaker units useless. Competitively yes but it open it up for new players or scenarios, even agreed rules.

Thirdly on the anal movement, No part of the model can move more than the movement would mean: to run backwards to take the further most point of the model measure in the direction of travel and that's where that further most point finishes in the new direction. Simple.

I think without added rules it would be a fun comp but will be weird initially until we sort how we choose what to play, as you need to counter each decision and not leave them open to saying I'm done and get a sudden death regardless of what you do now. I only see it being stupid if your playing spearman first for some reason then your opponent only plays archaon and 2 chimeras for example.
matrim

#62 Post by matrim »

Played a couple of games so far and rules seem to be alright but bit ambiguous at times. I won't go into how to balance lists discussion because if your opponent wishes to be a d!ck s/he will find a way to be one...

Having said that in both of my games my opponents 'attempted' to summon all sort of shenanigans and were on the receiving end of the ruling finger. [-X

On a separate note can you tell how do you interpret multiple wound (damage) attacks? In my opinion if you have 5 d3 wounding attacks you can only kill 5 models. However the rules are not clear on that and one of my opponents insisted on distributing the wounds to whole unit (i.e. 5 attacks, 3 hits, 2 wounds, 4 dead LSG - in my mind it should be 2 dead regardless of d3 roll since only 2 attacks were successfully landed).

And one of the stormcast heroes has a rule, cannot remember exact wording but the unit he buffs can heal a wound on a 'save roll of 7'... How is that possible???
Chracian

#63 Post by Chracian »

I would say each model loses d3 wounds until it is dead, so only 2 dead lsg in your example.

The stormcast hero you are talking about adds one to the saving roll, so a roll of 6 becomes 7.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Mentheus of Chrace

#64 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

It states in the rules for determining damage that you do the full amount of damage from multi wound attacks, there are no 'wasted' Wounds as there are in Warhammer:
Age of Sigmar, pg 4 wrote:Most weapons have a Damage characteristic of 1, but some can inflict 2 or more wounds, allowing them to cause grievous injuries to even the mightiest foe, or to cleave through more than one opponent with but a single blow!
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Chracian

#65 Post by Chracian »

Thanks for the correction! Even with only four pages of rules, I can still miss stuff!
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
matrim

#66 Post by matrim »

thank you for the clarification. I was reading with 8th Ed at the back of mind #-o I won't be surprised by it next time though.

Still not convinced with the +1 makes it 7 explanation though. Nothing against you, it is just a weird round about way of saying 'on a roll of 6'. New paladins have a rule that says on a roll of 6 they'll inflict d6 wounds. I read it as a natural roll of 6 not buffed up 5...

But hey it is only a month old give it a year or two and we'll see how they get on with updating warscrolls and misprint/ambiguity/contradiction etc.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#67 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

But hey it is only a month old give it a year or two and we'll see how they get on with updating warscrolls and misprint/ambiguity/contradiction etc.
Given that is the GW I expect that in a year the situation will only be worse...