Non High Elf Battle Report: Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Live_waaaaagh

Non High Elf Battle Report: Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

#1 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Had a super fun battle between Tomb Kings & Wood Elves. 1250 pts, all the way to turn 6 and some unexpected MVPs.

http://www.livewaaaaagh.com/home/2017/6 ... wood-elves
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Non High Elf Battle Report: Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

#2 Post by Prince of Spires »

Fun battle! And some really wild dice swings in there. I think the post match analysis was correct. A BSB really helps increase reliability. You can always fail a LD 9 roll. But failing two in a row is a lot harder. Some of the combats also had interesting results. I had expected more from the Treeman then 1 wound per combat round on the chariots. Not his ideal target for sure, but not impressive either.

Thanks for sharing.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Live_waaaaagh

#3 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

Prince of Spires wrote:Fun battle! And some really wild dice swings in there. I think the post match analysis was correct. A BSB really helps increase reliability. You can always fail a LD 9 roll. But failing two in a row is a lot harder. Some of the combats also had interesting results. I had expected more from the Treeman then 1 wound per combat round on the chariots. Not his ideal target for sure, but not impressive either.

Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Thank you for reading! fun battle for sure. Already am converting a model to become the BSB, though it needs painting now :)
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

Great game!

Wood Elves are on of the few good match-ups for Tomb Kings. Its the shooting that usually does the trick but here there were some surprising heroes in hand-to-hand.

There were some dreadful leadership rolls on the Forest Spirit side, but the win was very much earned.

The Scorpion did exceptionally well, which is surprising. The chariots were on fire as well - the impact hits really help against ASF.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree, good, close, game.

Shooting was quite modest for a WE list. Normally, I'd give them the edge in combat but their best troops, Wild Riders, were absent.The TK's brought stronger magic through the Casket.

I would definitely have deployed the Scouts further back from the Chariots. They have 30" range, best to use that. On the other flank the trick might have been to get a unit quickly past the Tomb Guard's charge arc and into the Casket. Being rapidly vapourised by Light of Death would have been a risk of course, especially with no Dispel Scroll.

Treekin are Forest Spirits so are Immune to Psychology and do not take Panic tests. It was definitely more important to stop Dessication on the Treeman than Cursed Blades on the Chariots, I'd have thrown six dispel dice at it. When the Dryads destroyed the Warriors they probably should have Reformed at the end of the Combat phase to face the Tomb Guard and charged them in the flank next turn.

I agree a BSB could have helped here but that's because the army was so combat-heavy. Normally at this points total I'd bring more shooting and definitely more magic. The Wood Elf spells here just weren't dangerous enough.