Non-High Elf Battle Report: Orcs & Goblins vs Dwarfs

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Live_waaaaagh

Non-High Elf Battle Report: Orcs & Goblins vs Dwarfs

#1 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

A dwarfen throng led by an experienced Runesmith clashed against Grom The Paunch and his Goblin horde in a 2000pt game for control over the Dwarfen Highlands near Black Fire Pass.

Red the full report:
http://www.livewaaaaagh.com/battle-repo ... cs-goblins
RE.Lee

Re: Non-High Elf Battle Report: Orcs & Goblins vs Dwarfs

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Great report, as always! The O&G army was especially nice - Grom is a very characterful choice and his army was quite unlike the "green dwarfs" we sometimes see in competitive play.

The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde. Some lucky rolls helped here - those turned out to be some really brave Goblins (and Trolls!).

The notorious Grom will return, I'm sure!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Live_waaaaagh

#3 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

RE.Lee wrote:Great report, as always! The O&G army was especially nice - Grom is a very characterful choice and his army was quite unlike the "green dwarfs" we sometimes see in competitive play.

The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde. Some lucky rolls helped here - those turned out to be some really brave Goblins (and Trolls!).

The notorious Grom will return, I'm sure!
Thank you for taking the time to read it! I'm you enjoyed it :)

His army is incredibly well-painted, and both of us are a bit more into fluff than competitive play, so look for more battles in the future!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm just going to post after reading the lists, not the report proper or RE's thoughts.

I can see the idea behind the O&G list, wrongfooting the Dwarfs. The magic and shooting defences are indeed largely wasted. However, these are not hugely expensive and the Dwarf list remains balanced. The shooting phase is solid and the melee, while maybe lacking against a hardcore combat list, looks OK here, helped as it is by army-wide Hatred.

The O&G list actually states three Arachnaroks, illegal of course. That would be dangerous. But just one should be dealt with by the runed-up war machines. I just don't think the O&G list is packing enough hard, fast threats here. You always get an extra turn against chariots (they can't march) and these ones are lightweight. If the Dwarfs pick their targets properly, the Big Boss, Trolls etc should get shot up just as they are getting into range. Maybe the Stubborn blocks should be bigger (Engineers and Runes cost points) but I still think the Dwarfs have enough here.

Lovely battlefield by the way. The unfilled Dwarf trays look a bit odd but the O&G army especially looks great!
Live_waaaaagh

#5 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

SpellArcher wrote:I'm just going to post after reading the lists, not the report proper or RE's thoughts.

I can see the idea behind the O&G list, wrongfooting the Dwarfs. The magic and shooting defences are indeed largely wasted. However, these are not hugely expensive and the Dwarf list remains balanced. The shooting phase is solid and the melee, while maybe lacking against a hardcore combat list, looks OK here, helped as it is by army-wide Hatred.

The O&G list actually states three Arachnaroks, illegal of course. That would be dangerous. But just one should be dealt with by the runed-up war machines. I just don't think the O&G list is packing enough hard, fast threats here. You always get an extra turn against chariots (they can't march) and these ones are lightweight. If the Dwarfs pick their targets properly, the Big Boss, Trolls etc should get shot up just as they are getting into range. Maybe the Stubborn blocks should be bigger (Engineers and Runes cost points) but I still think the Dwarfs have enough here.

Lovely battlefield by the way. The unfilled Dwarf trays look a bit odd but the O&G army especially looks great!
The Arachnorok was a typo - he only brought 1.

I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending :wink:

The O&G army is a sight to behold, for sure! Much better than mine. I need to invest in two-rank trays :oops:
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde
Very much on target.
Live_waaaaagh wrote:I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending
You yourself pointed out LW that you probably deployed too far forwards. This likely cost most of your units a crucial round of shooting. They also looked too spread out, the Thunderers especially were too isolated. These two factors let the Trolls in particular in to mess up your gameplan.

It has to be said though that those Trolls passed some very cheeky Leadership tests! It was also difficult to redeploy the Dwarf units that got out of position. Another reason why deployment is so critical for this army.

Thanks for a nice report!

:)
Live_waaaaagh

#7 Post by Live_waaaaagh »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde
Very much on target.
Live_waaaaagh wrote:I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending
You yourself pointed out LW that you probably deployed too far forwards. This likely cost most of your units a crucial round of shooting. They also looked too spread out, the Thunderers especially were too isolated. These two factors let the Trolls in particular in to mess up your gameplan.

It has to be said though that those Trolls passed some very cheeky Leadership tests! It was also difficult to redeploy the Dwarf units that got out of position. Another reason why deployment is so critical for this army.

Thanks for a nice report!

:)
Very much correct on the deployment aspect. I made 2 mistakes during deployment that likely cost me the game - aside from his very fortunate dice rolls.
1 - I deployed way too forward. Right on the line actually and underestimated his movement.
2 - I misplaced my irondrakes (fire damage) very far from his Trolls. So anything that connected was regened very quickly and the 'drakes were out of range of them.

But hey! you learn! :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice battle report. I have a soft spot for goblins so I'm happy to see them win :) It was a close game and fun to read. Interesting (and characterful) to see that most goblins "died" from being panicked by other O&G units being destroyed :)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.