Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:40 am 
Pendragon

My first battle in years took place yesterday using Kings of War starter rules, 500 points with no limits on the force organization (so we could learn the rules) versus Orcs. I have to say I quite like the rules, and fielding the Host of Lionstone (even in such a small force) after all this time felt rather good. Anyways, onwards!

The summer had been peaceful, if cold. No raiders had violated the shores of Chrace and even the monsters from the Annulii had been fewer in number. Cariel considered himself fortunate that his service had fallen on such a good year. When he had been assigned the small troop of young archers he had had his doubts of their readiness, but their aim had proven true in training and without serious threats on the horizon, their inexperience was less of a problem. "Even if they are green as the leaves" he thought to himself. Then, an owl. Cariel picked up his bow and jumped up, moving silently to alert his wards. And owl's call was the agreed upon warning signal that something was approaching.

When the older Hawkeye reached the lookouts, he was shocked by what he saw. Surrounded by his bodyguards, his Prince stood there, flanked by his great pet lion, talking with the obviously smitten archer. Lord Deral Lionbane was known for his interest in the hunt, but still, seeing him out like this was a surprise. "Hail, Cariel. All's well I trust?" the taller elf asked, patting the archer on the shoulder. "Yes my lord. There's been nothing to report, the woods are quiet." Deral was about to respond when a second owl call pierced the air, then another. The lookouts on the other end of the camp had seen something, and soon everyone heard it. A ruckus that could only be caused by greenskins.

My army:
Deral Lionbane (Elf King)
- Sabretooth Pussycat

White Lions (Palace Guard Troop)

Archers (Kindred Archers Troop)

Lion Knights (Stormwind Cavalry Troop)

My opponent's:
Warboss (Krudger)
- Goblin Stabby Sneak
- Goblin Zappy Sneak

Ork Boyz (Ax Regiment)

Ork Boyz (Ax Regiment)

Arrer Boyz (Skulk Troop)

I was outnumbered, but never outclassed!

High Elf Turn 1

We couldn't find the scenery (we were playing at his place, and since he recently moved the scenery is packed somewhere), so deployment was pretty straight-forward and I won the first turn. I decided to advance along his flank, since it was unlikely that I was going to win any head-on fights against his larger units. The White Lions moved towards the center to challenge the center unit of Boyz and hopefully lure one unit to expose its flank to the Lion Knights. Archers were out of range, so they couldn't shoot.

Orc Turn 1

Very little happened, the center unit of Boyz moved slightly forward, as did the Arrer Boyz, right into range with my archers. Young and untested they may be, but they are far better at shooting than their green counterparts!

High Elf Turn 2

(I really need to base and finish these guys)

I did my first big mistake of the game and marched straight forward to the Boyz' flank. I'm not sure what I was thinking, probably the lack of practice. The White Lions and my Elf King moved closer to support, but especially the White Lions were too far to do anything particularly useful for at least one turn more, unless I wanted to risk being charged.
The shooting phase was fairly uneventful, with the Archers managing one wound on the tough Orcs Boyz on the flank. They passed their Nerve test easily.

Orc Turn 2

The Orcs shuffles around to face the Lion Knights in order to charge them next turn with the Warboss moving in to support. The Arrer Boyz shuffled slightly forward and the Boyz in the center of the line pivoted and moved to threaten the White Lions. At this point I realized just how poorly I had played the game so far. To add insult to injury, the Arrer Boyz managed to cause a wound on my Archers, causing them to Waver. No shooting from them next turn! The Orc Warboss tried to summon a lightning bolt to hit the Knights, but snake eyes saved them from any damage.

High Elf Turn 3

My Knights pivoted to face the charge coming their way (turns out I wasn't a complete idiot, the orc boyz ended up being 9" away. Two more inches to the right and I would have been fine!). The White Lions hoofed it out of the charge range of the other unit of Boyz, exposing themselves to the Warboss, but I was confident that my opponent wouldn't go for them.
Shooting phase was less than thrilling due to the young archers having wavered (and Cariel undoubtedly cursing and tryign to get his troop under control). My Elf King also commanded his Sabretooth Pussycat to charge at the boyz, hoping that it would manage a bunch of wounds on the unit and hopefully at least waver them. Alas it was not to be, and the great feline only managed a further three. My opponent easily made his Nerve test without even needing the reroll.

Orc Turn 3

(Doesn't look good)

The Boyz charged the knights and the center boyz moved forward to once again threaten the White Lions, this time ready to charge them in the rear.
The Arrer Boyz once again caused some wounds on my Archers who once again wavered. The Warboss' Lighting Bolt was once again ineffective, though this time it was aimed at Deral.
First combat of Kings of War! The orcs' attacks were honestly frightening, since with Crushing Strength my Knights were dangerously vulnerable. But the flower of elven chivalry overcame, taking only three wounds and passing their Nerve test! They would be disrupted, so no Thunderous Charge next turn, but as a result it was far better than I had hopes (or even deserved).

(Live, fight, die for Lionstone!)

High Elf turn 4

Charge! Ready to take the fight to the enemy, my proud elves charged their respective enemies, Deral charging the Warboss and the Knights charging the Orc Boys. The White Lions charged the Warboss, not quite managing to get out of the Boyz' charge arc. I hoped for a quick Rout of the Warboss, so they could overrun into the other Boyz and out of the charge range. Shooting was nonexistant, so straight to combat we went!
First off the White Lions wailed on the Warboss. 8 attacks needing 3's to hit, rerolling ones, and 4's to wound ended up as...one wound. Less than stellar show from the elites. Still, I had my elf king with his five attacks, and he managed to cause two more. With three wounds there was a chance that he would Rout, but no, the bugger held fast. And now my White Lions were going to be butchered by a rear charge next turn.
All was not lost though, since my Lion Knights showed their mettle! Even without the Thunderous Charge and thus needing 5's to wound, they hacked the green menace apart, causing 4 wounds. A pair of 10+ rolls later the greenskins broke and ran, allowing the Knights to pivot to face the Warboss. Maybe all was not lost!

Orc turn 4

(Ouch)

The turn was quick and brutal. The Boyz predicably charged the White Lions and the Warboss charged my Elf King. Things looked up for a moment as the Arrer Boyz missed everything for the first time, allowing my Archers to pull themselves together and re-enter the fight! The White Lions were wiped out by a big bucket of dice, and I didn't manage to roll double 1's to hold. But now the orcs were open for a counter charge! The Warboss swung hard and fast and caused three wounds. No doubt shaken by the loss of his bodyguard, my Elf King was wavered. No supporting charges next turn, but at least he lived.

High Elf turn 5

The Lion Knights, seeing that their lord was in danger, charged the Warboss. With luck, they would Rout him and overrun into the Boyz. I figured that I had taken enough risks in this game, one more wouldn't hurt.
The Archers on the hill fired at the Arrer Boyz, causing two wounds. It was a delightful change of pace not having to roll against Defense 5+. Most satisfyingly though, that meant that the Arrer Boyz wouldn't be able to shoot! Revenge!
In combat, the Lion Knights swung mightily indeed, and caused five wounds. Even with his 14 Rout value, the Warboss couldn't stand against such ferocity, and was cut down! The Knights then overran straight into the Boyz, routing them as well!
(Revenge!)

It was then that my opponent bowed out, having only the Arrer Boyz left, which my Archers could keep suppressed fairly reliably until my Knights and King could make their way to them. All in all the game was pleasantly quick and fun, the rules being very intuitive and easy to learn/remember. The Host of Lionstone made its triumphant return to the field of battle!

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am 

=D>

Thanks for the report - both armies look great and I hope the table gets and undercoat and quick drybrush by next time :wink:

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 am 
Pendragon

RE.Lee wrote:
=D>

Thanks for the report - both armies look great and I hope the table gets and undercoat and quick drybrush by next time :wink:

Thanks! It's on the agenda, along with painting the rest of our armies :D

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:27 pm 

Nice report! I really like the Lion Riders :D

I have a question, you mention "They would be disrupted, so no Thunderous Charge next turn", but they were already in combat. How does this work in KoW? I have never played it so I am curious :)

"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:33 pm 
Pendragon

elendor_f wrote:
Nice report! I really like the Lion Riders :D

I have a question, you mention "They would be disrupted, so no Thunderous Charge next turn", but they were already in combat. How does this work in KoW? I have never played it so I am curious :)

Thanks! In Kings of War you only ever attack on your own turn, after combat is resolved the attacking unit is pushed back 1", allowing the other unit to countercharge. If a unit is Wavered (fail the equivalent of an LD check) they can't countercharge. Hence why charging on KoW is very important

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:34 pm 

Sounds like an interesting mechanic, thanks!

"They thought the Library was a dangerous place because of all the magical books, which was true enough, but what made it really one of the most dangerous places there could ever be was the simple fact that it was a library."
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

I only half follow what's going on (not knowing kings of war all that well). But it reads like it was a fun battle

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:01 am 
Pendragon

Had the good fortune to get two games on this Saturday, one 1k against The Herd and one 1,5k against the Orcs. Reports will follow today or tomorrow, but first, the setup.

It had been two days since the elven expeditionary force had landed in the Old World. Back in Ulthuan the seers had located artefacts from during the War of the Beard near the forest of Athel Loren, the home of their reclusive kindred, the Asrai. Prince Deral Lionbane, always adventurous, had volunteered to lead the expeditionary force, also reasoning that his previous dealings with their forest dwelling cousins could avoid any serious altercations from leading an army so close to their borders. The Bretonnians were not to be contacted, and ideally the sons of Gilles would not know that the Asur were ever here. They were fast approaching the area where the artefacts had been found, and the elves were in good spirits. Over the hills however rode the scouts Deral had sent ahead of the main force, and behind them the braying horns of Beastmen followed. The Chracian prince wasted no time in ordering his forces to battle, the vile servants of the Ruinous Powers couldn't be allowed to defile the precious treasures. "Onwards, sons and daughters of Chrace. For Ulthuan!" he shouted, and the clarion calls of Elven horns and battle cries rose to challenge their enemies.

The scenario was Loot with 3 counters that we placed more or less on the center line of the board. My opponent was using the Herd list:
Shaman
- Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart
- Heal (5)

Tribal Totem Bearer
- Kevinar's Flying Hammer

Horde of Spirit Walkers

Regiment of Lycans

Regiment of Centaur Longmanes
- Blade of Slashing

Brutox

My list was:

Elf King
- Ensorcelled Armour

Elven Mage
- Bane Chant (2)
- Myrddin's Amulet of the Fire-heart

Horde of Therennian Sea Guard
- Brew of Keen-eyeness

Regiment of Palace Guard
- Brew of Strength

Regiment of Stormwind Cavalry
- Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar

So my opponent had the edge in speed, maneuverability, and (arguably) hitting power. Not a great balance of forces for the scenario to begin with...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm 
Pendragon

(I know our Hordes look a little small, but we agreed that its ok, since we were both lacking some figures and just wanted to play. Solemn promise that they will be up to strength in the future!)

Deployment - Beastmen

My opponent deployed in a rather wide line, with a single unit to claim each Loot marker. Since the objective was to capture more than your opponent and he had faster units that ignored hindering terrain and some of which were nimble, his strategy was sound: rush the objectives, weather the one turn of combat I could offer in the protection of the woods, and make it back to his table edge with at least two of the loot markers.

Deployment - High Elves
(I didn't think to take pictures of my own deployment...)
I decided to go for a favorite deployment tactic of mine, refused flank. I knew this meant that I was yielding one of the Loot markers before the game had even begun, but if I managed to get the other two, I would still win, and this way I had local superiority in numbers. I deployed the Maiden Guard (Therennian Seaguard) towards the back, my Silver Helms (Stormwind Cavalry) to face off against the Centigors (Centaurs), and my White Lions (Palace Guard) to take on the Lycans (who were played expertly by a group of trolls, I could hardly tell the difference).

Turn 1 - Beastmen
My opponent won the roll to go first and moved everything straight forward, with one unit reaching all of the three Loot markers (The Brutox on the left, the Lycans in the middle, and the Centaurs on the right). The Brutox was out of my threat range in any case, and the other two were sitting comfortably in their woods, meaning that I would be suffering -1 to hit if I attacked them. Bummer. On the bright side, the Shaman also moved At the Double, meaning that he couldn't cast spells this turn.

Turn 1 - High Elves'

Since I didn't have time to waste, I declared charges with anything that could: The White Lions charged the Lycans aand the Silver Helms charged the Centigors. The Mage moved forward to be in range for Bane Chant, and Deral (my Elf King) moved up to be Inspiring, should things go wrong.

Shooting phase was tremendous. The Mage got the Bane-chant off, meaning that the White Lions were now at Crushing Strength 3 (+3 to Wound in Warhammer terms). Even with the -1 to Hit and their relatively few attacks, I was confident that they would do some damage, and that the Lycans would be at least Disordered, maybe even Wavered. First blood went to the Maiden Guard however, as their arrows killed the Shaman before he could achieve anything in the game. Not necessarily the best use of 25 attacks, but I didn't have other targets.
(Fear the Maiden Guard!)

Combat started with the White Lions cutting into the Lycans like a hot knife through butter. 12 attacks turned into 8 wounds, which in turn utterly Routed the giant wolf/troll creatures. Even with the reroll from the Tribal Totem, they needed a 5 or less on two dice to survive, and the dice just weren't with them. The White Lions advanced further into the woods and recaptured the marker. 1-1!

The other combat sprung another nasty surprise on my foe: His Centigors were not safe at all! Thanks to Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar (I kept calling it the Banner of Ellyrion, and my opponent was confusedly looking through the rulebook telling me there was no such item), my Silver Helms charged through the thick woods as if they were an open field. The Centigors are frightening on the charge, but they take punches like baby sheep, and 16 attacks hitting on 3s, rerolling 1s, and wounding on 2s made short work of them! Unfortunately I didn't overrun far enough, and the marker was just out of reach. Next turn!

Turn 2 - Beastmen
The momentum had shifted heavily in my favor with 40% of my opponents points gone in the first turn. He did still have a dangerous Horde and the Brutox however, both uninjured and now at my flank. The Brutox turned and prepared to make a run for it back to his table edge, but the Horde moved closer, ready to charge my White Lions if they tried to move anywhere. It seemed the situation was a stalemate, as the Spirit Walkers were horrifying (35 attacks!) and very reliable. The situation was interesting.

Turn 2 - High Elves

I moved the Silver Helms to take the second marker, meaning that I now controlled two, but one was stuck under threat from the Spirit Walkers. I had a Horde of my own however, and I could force my opponent to come to me. The Maiden Guard pivoted and advanced, getting in position to shoot at the beasts with the rest shuffling slightly to get in position. Needing 6's to hit wouldn't accomplish much, and indeed it didn't as I forgot to cast Bane-chant so the hail of arrows hit with all the force of a handful of wet noodles. Still, it demonstrated that I could keep shooting, and as I was now in position I would be hitting more and more (and wouldn't forget to cast my Really Good Spell again).

Turn 3 - Beastmen
After measuring and making templates, we both agreed that the Spirit Walkers couldn't charge my White Lions this turn, so they moved sideways, trying to get away from my arrows. The Brutox hoofed it full speed, ending up exactly where it had started the game, and these both suited me just fine.

Turn 3 - High Elves
With the Spirit Walkers now out of position, the White Lions broke from the woods and made their way towards my table edge, as did the Silver Helms. In case my opponent decided to give chase, the Maiden Guard moved up to offer covering fire and fired off a few shots, accomplishing nothing important. At this point my opponent conceded, seeing how he could not win the game unless I chose to be stupid (which I promised him I would not do). We shook hands and that was that.

Victory! Glory to Ulthuan!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 am 
Auctor Aeternitatum

Luna Guardian wrote:
(I know our Hordes look a little small, but we agreed that its ok, since we were both lacking some figures and just wanted to play. Solemn promise that they will be up to strength in the future!)

You have to start somewhere. :)

That was one brutal game. Looked pretty good and lots of fun. You picked your fights well I think. Though there were lots of 1-on-1 combats, which I generally don't like since they are too fair. I prefer the odds heavily stacked in my favour. ;)

Rod

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:15 pm 
Pendragon

It really was one of those "Everything went better than expected" situations. I also prefer to engage with multiple units, but a) I didn't have enough units and b) I didn't have enough time for the maneuvering that would have needed. Hey diddle diddle straight up the middle, but this time it worked :)