The power of Bel-Alid - Djinn of Air.

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sackree

The power of Bel-Alid - Djinn of Air.

#1 Post by Sackree »

There are powers on this earth that corrupt the mind and bend the wills as much as chaos, strong enough to erase the calls of the maw from an ogre replacing them with thoughts of something more sinister.

With the massive changes to fantasy wargaming, following the discontinuation of 8th and the release of Age of Sigmar and Kings of War 2ed I decided it was time for a change for me as well. I have played Elves since I picked up warhammer again 5 years ago so I am excited to begin building and playing a new army with a new feel to it. The best part about a new army is that it means that there is a new lore and a new backstory to go with it.

This story starts in Araby, which is one of the lesser discussed places in the old world.

Little is known about Araby compared to the Old World, though its sultans and caliphs are said to be wealthier than Dwarfs and its large coastal commercial cities rich in spices, gold and slaves. The merchants of this land have also been known to trade with both the Empire and the Chaos-worshipping tribesmen of Norsca. They have the reputation of being most cunning. The Sultan of All Araby claims to rule the whole peninsula, but has little real power over the independent coastal city-states or over the fierce nomad tribes who wander the Great Desert of Araby. The principle cities of Araby are Lashiek, the Corsair City; Copher, the Spice Port; Martek; and Al-Haikk, the City of Thieves and Bel-Alid. Bel-Alid is a desert ruin in Araby close to the land of the Dead Once the capital of a proud civilisation, it was destroyed by the Undead forces of Arkhan the Black in -1149 IC, never to be rebuilt. It is said that within these ruins are hidden the treasures of the ancient glory of Araby, though few adventurers return to tell the tale.

Half a world away from the maw, the Al-Jabbar tribe have amassed wealth, honour and reputation as a feared mercenary army, serving slavers, caliphates and on more than one occasion the sultan himself. So long have they been settled in Araby that they have forgotten the tales of the maw told by their ancestors, they are not a mountainous cave dwelling clan but are suitably adapted to the harsh nomadic live of the desert. Without the call of the maw in the back of their minds another power in the world is able to make its presence known to the ogres of Al-Jabbar. A yearning call and the promise of power can be felt from across the vast expanses of Araby. In the current year of 2522IC, after enough accumulation of slaves and supplies, the chieftain Touma Dunesplitter led his tribe on an expedition to the source of the power. After countless days and endless expanses the tribe finally reached the ruins of Bel-Alid. Already ransacked and beyond disrepair the city held little wealth and no life or water for the weary clan. One by one though the ogres were drawn from their pillaging to a small chamber beneath what used to be the palace. Inside were four pedestals, a old brass lamp placed in each one. The longer the ogres stared at the lamps the more they forgot their purpose for being there, unaware of the thick smoke coming out of each lamp, until nothing could be seen and everything was black.

TLDR; I have started an Ogre army and cannot wait to start playing with it. I've started this blog to give them a more detailed history and lore as well as keeping me motivated with my painting and collecting and to document my progress.

I really like the mantic line of Ogres so the majority of my force will be made up of them, they look more muscular and lean which is how I always imagined an ogre to look, not like sumos.

So far I have picked up a Mantic army box so have 6 iron fists, 6 iron guys and 6 leadbelchers, as well as a character figure ( who is just a regular ogre with a different head and right arm)

The models that really inspired the theme for my army though are the shieldwolf avares range, which stand as tall as a mantic ogre and come on 40mm bases, perfect! I do own all four of them but until I have atleast one painted I'll just post the website picture here so you can see what they are

Starting this new army at this time has got me really excited about playing again and it is an army that I will be able to use across 3 game systems which is just fantastic. I would love to know your thoughts on this project and get any ideas from you guys about models that could fit in well with the theme.
Last edited by Sackree on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
John Rainbow

Re: The power of Bel-Alid - A new journey

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I suggest you search 'warhammer ogre genie' on google and look at the pics for inspiration. There is some cool stuff there. Good luck!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Great stuff, love the Ogres!
Sackree

#4 Post by Sackree »

Been busy working on some of the Djinn models. Lots of dry brushing involved with these models because of all the raised edges

Djinn of water

Djinn of Earth

And a size comparison with an ogre

Next in line are the air and fire Djinns then i'l carry on with some ogres.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving the colours on the Water guy.
Sackree

#6 Post by Sackree »

SpellArcher wrote:Loving the colours on the Water guy.
Cheers bud. I've not had to paint models like these before where you start at such a dark shade then add on 6-7 lighter layers. They're really quite fun.

Had some spare time these last few days so managed to churn out the Air Djinn, a good candidate for a heavens slaughtmaster. The photos I took make him look more blue than Grey but you'll just have to take my word that he is greeny grey and originally started out as green as the hulk.

Loriel

Re: The power of Bel-Alid - Djinn of Air.

#7 Post by Loriel »

real niche stuff here!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: The power of Bel-Alid - Djinn of Air.

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Again, nice work sir.

What's the reddish metal (am a sucker for these) exactly?