Competitive High Elves list so far

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Zhorphorus

Competitive High Elves list so far

#1 Post by Zhorphorus »

So a couple days ago I asked for some advice on what is good in a highly competitive High Elves army.

After some list writing I've come up with a start at least so far:

Anointed of Asuryan - Potion of Strength, Enchanted Shield, Blade of Leaping Gold, Dragonbane Gem
Archmage - Lore of Life, Level 4, Dispel Scroll [Was contemplating replacing scroll for Channeling Staff], Ruby Ring of Ruin, Talisman of Preservation

Noble - BSB, Armour of Silvered Steel, Shield [for the parry save]
[I wanted to manage to fit a Level 1/2 of Beasts in here but didn't have the points]

30x Phoenix Guard - FC, Razor Standard
21x White Lions of Chrace - FC, Banner of the World Dragon

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

As the acute of you may notice, there is no core units here. This is because I have completely no clue on what to take, none of them really jump out at me and I was going to initially take Sea Guard but apparantly they're a bit lack luster. The list itself is 1785/2400 so far so I have 615 points for core. All the L+H would sit with the PG.

What I'm looking for is some advice on what to use for core and a critique of my list so far. Is there too many points in L+H? Is it worth trying to fit in a Beast Mage?

Thanks in advance, Zhorphorus
razorfate

Re: Competitive High Elves list so far

#2 Post by razorfate »

As a wood elf player(:)) i'd suggest you to use Reavers as redirectors, archers to eliminate chaff, and the typical silverhelm bus for core allowance
The phoneix guard benefits from high magic lore attribute, so i'd use a level 4 highmage with book of hoeth with them.
I'd increase the number of ECBT's to 4 and definetly would use frosheart phoenix. You can drop the white lions for the frost heart and add some nobles on elven steeds for punching power for the silver helms.

I also like the MSU style of @Swordmaster of Hoeth, but you 'd probably be bored of MSU style army if you are playing wood elves.

Cheers from asrai.org:):)
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

An Annointed is an unusual choice. It simply isn't seen that often. As for his kit, why not giant blade rather than leaping gold + Po.Str? Surely a better combo? Similarly I think Armour of Caledor is way better than Silvered Steel for the BSB if these are the kits that you want.

In terms of core, I would look at maybe archers and reavers to help you control the chaff battle and decide where the game is fought. That way you can be more stand-offish with the list and wait for the opponent to come to you. Having said this, in the meta of super fast mounted armies you may only get one or two turns before some big horrible monster is on top of your army.
Zhorphorus

#4 Post by Zhorphorus »

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try to do some re-writing.
Andros123

#5 Post by Andros123 »

Hi!

Can you maybe tell us a bit about the meta you are in? Are you playing with a special set of restrictions, or is just Warhammer straight from the rulebook? Are you just playing with friends, or I are planning on going to highly competitive tournaments and so on.

As for your list right now, I would switch the numbers on your two blocks. 21 white lions die way way to fast and 30 phoenix guards are way too many in my opinion.
I guess if you really want to competitive and you are playing with no restrictions go with 40 white lions and banner of the world dragon. I would probably not be fun to play or play against, but again it depends on your goal and meta.
The lvl. 4 on life magic seems a bit odd to me here as well. You don't really have anything that can benefit from the lore attribute and you don't really need dwellers, because your two blocks can take on most other big blocks.
I think Shadow or even a loremaster is better suited for this kind of list.
Zhorphorus

#6 Post by Zhorphorus »

Hi

Well it's a group of mates but we're all trying to write reasonably competitive lists trying to obey normal tournament restrictions where possible. The meta itself is anything but beastmen, there's a lot of us and we all have 1 or 2 armies. Can you explain why life should be a bad fit please? I find life to be very defensive and hence was taking it to make phoenix guard even harder to deal with. Also if the anointed is a bad fit would you recommend just level 4 and bsb? Or throw in some other lords and heroes? Maybe a level 2?

Thanks in advance
Andros123

#7 Post by Andros123 »

Maybe I'm a bit biased on this one, but in general I don't really like lore of life. Sure flesh to stone is an awesome spell, but what else is there really that your list needs? Phoenix guards does not need more defensive buffs as 4+ ward is already rock solid. However they need something to make the more killy, which lore of life does not provide. And as regrowth goes, it is hardly game changing to raise a few white lions or phoenix guards back from the dead. I can't see a situation where that spell will swing combat into your favor. Granted if you where running a monster mash list, it will be entirely different.
Shield of thorns is just a bad spell in my opinion. Again it is not going to change any combat. Yes dwellers is nice, but your list handle other hordes just fine.

About the anointed, maybe you could swap him for a loremaster instead. Give him an ogreblade and the shield of merwyrm and he is pretty decent in close combat and he comes with an awesome range of spells. So keep a lvl. 4 and add a loremaster. That you definitely give you the upper hand against most armies in the magic phase.
NonnoSte

#8 Post by NonnoSte »

Ehy, I believe that if you dig a bit around in the army list section you'll find some nice list wit the two PG and WL blocks.
Almost anyone has a Ftostie as support and most of them relies on High Magic to lower the PG save to 3++.

With a Phoenix you have less room for RBTs and Eagles. But 3 of the former are enough and you can get away with a single of the latter if you have Reavers.
As for core, I agree on a couple Ellyron Reavers units and a block of 20-24 archers (Hand of Glory on them is awesome). Fill the rest with MSU Silver Helms (they're great at chasing chaff and shooters).

The combo between Leaping Gold Blade and PoS is interesting and the Anointed is the only character who can sport it safely due to built in ward save.
If I'm not wrong, last year US Master was won by an High Elves player with a PG and a Spearelves blocks led by a Giant Blade Prince on foot and an High Archmage.
razorfate

#9 Post by razorfate »

High magic would indeed be more useful than the Life lore to lower the ward save of PG.
Zhorphorus

#10 Post by Zhorphorus »

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys, I feel like i actually know what I'm aiming for for this list now because I will admit it was quite flimsy before :L
Zhorphorus

#11 Post by Zhorphorus »

Just a quick question, would you guys suggest adding in another hero (be it Loremaster or Prince) with the ogre blade etc or would you currently upgrade the BSB? Also is the BSB's kit sufficient to survive providing that he has the loudout as above except armour of caledor instead of silvered steel
Zhorphorus

#12 Post by Zhorphorus »

Here is my current 2400 list after revisions:

Archmage - Dispell Scroll, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Talisman of Preservation

Noble - BSB, Armour of Caledor

Archers x21 - Musician
Ellyrian Reavers x5 - Bow
Ellyrian Reavers x5 - Bow
Silver Helms x6 - Shields
Silver Helms x6 - Shields

Phoenix Guard x23 - FC, Razor Standard