Posting Battle Chronicle outputs

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tsheldon

Posting Battle Chronicle outputs

#1 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

OK - so after 2.5 hours - got my first battle report done in battle chronicler. What's the best way to post it here? Do I have to put it on my own webpage and post a link here?

I see I have options to output as HTML and pictures (I did HTML and then it pulls it up in IE and it looks pretty cool).

I did see the note that says you cannot directly post the outputs of BC to the forum.

thanks.

Regards,
Todd
Caledfwlch

Re: Posting Battle Chronicle outputs

#2 Post by Caledfwlch »

Hey Todd,

I'm looking forward to your report, thanks in advance for the effort! I too spent way too many hours on my first two battle reports, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

What I did in my reports was uploading the pictures in dropbox. I stored them under 'photos', and then right-clicked to get a 'copy public link' which I then added in my Ulthuan-message. It's then only a matter of 'insert image' (Img) and you're ready to roll.

Jut my two cents. Hope it helps!

C
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

Hello, I personally use the html output option, BUT you need to have some hosting service where you can upload the html page

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE087/BR.html

for example I bought my hosting from company/institution... called kapsi. I also have small webpage from my ISP, but it was only 100 mb so I coudln't use it anymore since the quota was exceeded. http://www.saunalahti.fi/~jyrytuo/BR/15 ... s_emp.html

I prefer this option for two reason. Firstly if there is some errors in pictures / text etc, I need to only one update (as I am regular user of 4 warhammer forums where I post my battle reports)

Secondly having the own webspace just makes my nerd sense tingling ;) and since I need it for other reasons why not use it also for batreps.
---

Second method is to export pictures and upload them to some storage that url can be viewed with img tags. You can do it by manually exporting every single picture, but it is easier still to do html export as it will export every picture out of the chronicler. Then simple copy the pictures from the exported folder. Much faster way than doing them all by one.

I personally use Imgur to upload other pictures such as painting / modelin WIP and then use the img tags on forums and the image url.

---

Third way (allthough I would advice against this) is to upload pictures as attachments to the actual forum. First of all Ulthuan is fan based benefactor of the high elven and pushing pictures to their servers will increase the costs (eventhough slightly) upkeep. It will also increase latency in the forum. also not many forums allow big pictures to be uploaded etc.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi tsheldon,

There are a few options you might be interested in.

If you start a blog then you can import HTML into it and it will automatically create new entry for you. It is very convenient as you don't have to edit the text you already have and allows you to modify some lines too. Then just post a link to the blog entry here and you are sorted.

As Caledfwlch said you can simply export pictures from BC into Dropbox or Photobucket and then import these in the forum post but it will require copy-pasting the text you have already prepared.

In any case writing a report with diagrams will take time but it is always great thing to do. People might not comment as much as in other topics but it is the part of any forum that always needs more active participants. Hopefully you will keep going and become regular reporter!

Looking forward to reading about your games!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
tsheldon

#5 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

OK - need some help to figure out how to get the image links to work.

I've tried flikr, box, and drop box (and on drop box I get 'share' 'get a link'. For all of them - do a copy and past of the HTML into the post and still no pictures (just the word 'image') yeah.

Spent 40 minutes with my ISP (got to love AT&T) to figure out I had no hosting space. I'm very, very tempted to go ahead and spend $5 a month to get my own page and put the battle chronicler output there.

thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
todd
Caledfwlch

#6 Post by Caledfwlch »

Hmz.

In case you still consider using dropbox: I reread my post and noticed that I made a mistake there. You should store the photos under 'Public' (not 'photos') and then right click to 'copy public link'. Just 'copy to clipboard' and insert between [img]and[/img].

Hope that helps out and saves you 5 bucks - which can be saved up for that [insert HE model] you always wanted :mrgreen: .