Loriels 83th game against beastmen

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Loriel

Loriels 83th game against beastmen

#1 Post by Loriel »

I got a rematch against my beastmen friend. Last time we met it ended up in draw.

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE083/BR.html
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Ladril Caledor

Re: Loriels 83th game against beastmen

#2 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Well played and a good win. I like the balance of the list and it's synergy with High Magic.

It wasn't a problem in this particular game, but do you ever find you have trouble protecting the Archmage and BSB when they are in the front rank of those combat units?
Loriel

Re: Loriels 83th game against beastmen

#3 Post by Loriel »

Ladril Caledor wrote:Well played and a good win. I like the balance of the list and it's synergy with High Magic.
Thanks. I started to use High Magic shield of saphery from the start (first with alarielle). The first list were bigger about 40 white lions strong. From there I started to tweak the unit size to answer problems I encountered with and it has pretty much evolved to this, what I call my "personal netlist". I usually change Phoenix Guard Banner (from warbanner, razorbanner or eternal flames) depending on the opponent. Some times I swap archers to 5 silver helms. Annointed equiptment changes also, but the giant / ogre blade has usually the best effect.
Ladril Caledor wrote:It wasn't a problem in this particular game, but do you ever find you have trouble protecting the Archmage and BSB when they are in the front rank of those combat units?
I made an article about using High Magic the way I use and there is one section http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 69#p900967 .The double charge trick which I used in this game is one of my usual moves to protect the mage. As for BSB I usually consider him dead anyway, so it really doesn't bother me much.

One of the key points of this strategy is trying to get the Main Combat unit in close combat with the strongest (and most point yielding enemy unit). When you have increased ward save the chance of breaking the opponent will go much higher due two facts. First of all winning the combat since you can consider ward save to be +1 CR, secondly not losing ranks for steadfast breaking and for higher number of attacks in the second round of combat which helps you tons in attrition fights. There is good synergy if opponent really really wants to kill the wizard he will direct tons of attacks to the wizard. Wizard will have ward save and high WS which helps him soak those attacks. If player "overspends" attacks to the wizard that can lead to negative combat resolution effect if he does overkill (when not in challenge) and that can lead to victory and breaking the bad opponent and in point effective way the wizards death could be acceptable. Remember that many people think that using 6 PD spells to cast dwellers etc is worth the risk as it might nullify some really bad unit your opponent has.

In my experience the mage usually survives first round of combat and is killed in second or third round. The worst matchups I have faced is Grave Guard block with killing blows (or any characters with killing blows).
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame