Loriels 81th battle against Dark Elves

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Loriel

Loriels 81th battle against Dark Elves

#1 Post by Loriel »

Hello! Time to post my 81th battle with High Elves against Dark Elves. I have though this type of list for a long period of time, but never actually tried it out until now. Basic idea is to have flying circus where steadfast is broken by big unit of reavers.

http://loriel.kapsi.fi/WHFB_BR/HE081/BR.html
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Galdor

Re: Loriels 81th battle against Dark Elves

#2 Post by Galdor »

Thanks for the enjoyable report. That's an interesting list; I've never seen Reavers used in a big block like that before! Why do you favour them over SHs in that role?
Loriel

#3 Post by Loriel »

This was first time I used reavers in such big unit. I think in this kind of circus that is highly mobile they are better to break steadfast than silverhelms would mainly due free reform ability. Simple as that. Eventhough reaver give outmore CR due casualties, and give less from damage it doesn't matter as far as those monsters are doing tons of damage.

Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I've never seen a big block of reavers used like this either. I see your reasons but I'm also a bit sceptical, they just seem so easy to kill, your depending on your monsters killing a lot to make up for the masses of combat res you are going to lose from squishy reaver deaths, it seems risky.

I'm intrigued though, I like thinking outside the box. I'd love to see how this big reaver block performs in some other battles against more experienced opponents.
Loriel

#5 Post by Loriel »

Ladril Caledor wrote:I've never seen a big block of reavers used like this either. I see your reasons but I'm also a bit sceptical, they just seem so easy to kill, your depending on your monsters killing a lot to make up for the masses of combat res you are going to lose from squishy reaver deaths, it seems risky.

I'm intrigued though, I like thinking outside the box. I'd love to see how this big reaver block performs in some other battles against more experienced opponents.
I apparently forgot to subscribe to this topic and missed your post so sorry for long delay.

Ideally they need to make flank / rear charges. With added bonuses and disruption they can generate more combat resolution even against halberd nurgle warriors (in flank, not in rear) or any elite that has only 1 attack. Anything with more attacks will be bad.

In this particular battle hydra foiled my plan, but lets consider that there wouldn't be any hydra, those reavers would have being in position to make rear / flank charges. Should my opponent turn to face the reavers then my monster simple would holded them, should he ignore them it would have being bad.

It might be easier to simple do flank / front charge with monsters and wait for turns to make final charge with reavers.

Using Silver Helms similarly would make really big foot print on the unit that will be extremely easy for opponent to CC. Infantry is pretty much out of question due lack of mobility. Lets say your opponent tries some flank block shenanigans. Reavers can simple avoid it and do some 18 inch move (if passed march test ofc) to any direction.

Still we need to fill the core with something and if nothing else it can avoid pretty easily most threats.