Wood Elves vs Warriors of Chaos - 2500 pts

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

razorfate

Wood Elves vs Warriors of Chaos - 2500 pts

#1 Post by razorfate »

Hi fellows,

This is my second battle report that i made with a friend a while ago. Hope you enjoy it, as there are some pictures as well. In the heat of battle i frequently (like always :)) forgot to take pics.

Cheers,
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2 ... 56#p349056
Loriel

Re: Wood Elves vs Warriors of Chaos - 2500 pts

#2 Post by Loriel »

Well spell dominance is obvious.

This game is probably little harder for you due fighting against more flying. Based solely on the deployment I would predict win for your opponent, but lets see how this goes ;)

On Turn 3 did you fail frenzy with Wild Riders?

in 4th turn, I would just let the warriors having fun by them selves and tried to shoot the BSB down with way watchers. Death by thousands cuts ;)

on the 4th turn was there some strange reason why didn't his deamon prince charge your sisters?

Gz for the victory. Well deserved!
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
razorfate

#3 Post by razorfate »

Well spell dominance is obvious.
Yes my opponent did not bring a level 4 spellcaster to bring the juggernaught lord. It was clearly a mistake since it was obvious that i would bring a level 4 caster. And i did not use offensive schools such as shadow or death in order to use the diverse spells of High magic and of course the protection counters it brings to my army general. The metalsinger (:)) was keeping him to hold his dispel dice to dispel searing doom while i was collecting protection counters for my spellweaver.
This game is probably little harder for you due fighting against more flying. Based solely on the deployment I would predict win for your opponent, but lets see how this goes ;)
I actually thought the reverse when i saw him deploy his chaos warriors and sole spellcaster far away from my forces. I was confident that i would shoot the chimeras out of the sky which i could not as effective as i'd like to due to above average save rolls of my friend. The shadow dancer with the strength potion was my surprise to the first flyer to reach my glade guard unit and he did a very good job with the chimera. His ward save dance kept the BSB overkill him and thus saved the unit which was not steadfast as the majority of them were inside the forest.
On Turn 3 did you fail frenzy with Wild Riders?
No, I had just caught the chaos lord and one juggernaught on their flank and decided to charge with them. Although they were wiped by the back attacks, they did wound the juggernaught. As i had lost my metalsinger due to carelessness and the waywatchers dying early i had not so many options to deal with heavy armour.
in 4th turn, I would just let the warriors having fun by them selves and tried to shoot the BSB down with way watchers. Death by thousands cuts ;)
:) That BSB is unkillable in one on one fights or shooting. As he takes 3++ ward saves and rerolls the results of 1s, i had to deal approximately 15 wounds with my waywatchers. And that is not very likely considering he has t5 and my arrows are str 3:)
on the 4th turn was there some strange reason why didn't his deamon prince charge your sisters?
I think my diagram is a bit inaccurate because the sisters were always out of the charge arcs of the flyers or were at least 22,1 inches away from them. My sisters were probably at the western side of the farm house. But it was more than 1 month ago, and i don't remember all the details.
Gz for the victory. Well deserved!
Thank you. I had made one of my first battles with this friend and he had kicked my ass in the first one while teaching me the rules. I was very much in anticipation with this match and i was very glad to win it:)

The diagram
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

His effectively unkillable but only 3 wounds ;) . That chaos warrior block was too big to start grinding to get any points out of it. And we all know that when someone fields that kind of monstrosity lady dices can be wicked ;)

I might see things very differently as I don't play nor does any of my local gaming buddies play extremely evasive tactics.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
razorfate

#5 Post by razorfate »

His effectively unkillable but only 3 wounds ;) . That chaos warrior block was too big to start grinding to get any points out of it. And we all know that when someone fields that kind of monstrosity lady dices can be wicked ;)
:) In our first battle, i had wounded the BSB when he rolled 1 for armour save and 2 for ward save. Then during the whole battle i shoot my arrows at him, knowing that due to average leadership values i can start to force him panic tests without rerolls. then I couldn't succeed even one more wound, and failed miserably:)

As Nonnoste commented in Asrai.org, it would be more effective if i could catch him with my riders and perhaps sisters with high magic counters.

You are also very right about the chaos warriors about your comment not to grind them. I wanted my opponent to bothered enough to make mistakes because whenever i shoot at the BSB and i can not inflict a wound he was gaining morale:)
I might see things very differently as I don't play nor does any of my local gaming buddies play extremely evasive tactics.
Evasion tactics are very effective for wood elves that is for sure but the opponents become very bored and uncomfortable not to make a single charge i am afraid the guys in our club will not want to play with me. So i am working my way out to be able to play combat wood elves for a change, but i do not have the right models at the time being.
Andros123

#6 Post by Andros123 »

Well done first of all :) .

I was betting on a chaos win, when I saw the two armies to be honest. But I really didn't like his deployment. How on earth did he manage to put his Warriors as far as possible away from your forces?
You seem to be a little disappointed that it took your shooting that long to kill those Chimeras. Actually I was pretty surprised of how quick you managed. He has a 5+ armour save against all your shooting and then a 4+ reagen and he is t5 on top. That takes a lot of shooting. Even with hagbane. High magic is fantastic for wood elves, however it just doesn't help against the big stuff. That is also why I predicted a win for the chaos.
Congrats on the win :wink:
razorfate

#7 Post by razorfate »

Thank you for the compliments Andros, i also had not liked my friend's deployment and that had given me some confidence at the start of the game. The deployment method of me is as follows

I had 6 units to drop in the normal deployment phase which are , Great Eagles x2, Sisters, Wild Riders,Wardancers and Glade Guard. (Normally i do not use wardancers and instead choose to have 5 units to gain +1 bonus to the dice roll about which army goes first.)

My opponent had, chaos warriors, marauder horseman, chimera x2, skullcrushers, gorebeast chariot. (He had no chaff except marauder horseman unit)

I always start deploying with 2 eagles ( as most of wood elves players do, i believe). I put the first eagle at my left or right flank behind a terrain piece giving LOSblock. If my opponent deploys his chaff unit then i put the other eagle at the opposite flank, but if my opponent deploys one of his important units in front of my first eagle then i put the second eagle at the middle to try to create an illusion that i will deploy my units between two eagles to surround his unit.

My opponent chose to deploy his chaos warriors in front of my first eagle. I put my second eagle at the middle as i told above. Then he put his marauder horseman. (He was trying to put the two chimeras at the end believing them to be his ultimate weapon to crush my army at the same time fearing from my archer units slaying them with a lucky salvo.)

I put my units after the eagles in this order:Sisters at the middle with the full intention of vanguarding left or right to be far away from the majority of his forces; Wild Riders same with the sisters, wardancers and glade guard.

When he put his demon prince and chaos warrios with level 2 sorcerer on my right flank i put my scouts and waywatchers to my left and vanguarded the fast cav units to my left also.

Then with a little bit of luck, i had to deal with the minority of his forces with my whole army before his high and mighty units reached my ranks.

In chaffs and vanguarding fast cavalry i believe.:)