2400 pts vs Dwarfs

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Deamon

2400 pts vs Dwarfs

#1 Post by Deamon »

After adjusting my list, I went to fight another Dwarf player who's also playing a rather nasty list but is not as good as my previous opponent.

My list :
High Archmage lvl 4 ToP Dispel Scroll, Iron Curse
Prince on steed with Giant Blade and ToE
BSB on steed with ogre blade and charmed shield

2 x 5 Reavers bow/spear musician
16 Silverhelm full command, shields

20 White Lion full command, BOTWD
20 Pheonix Guard full command, razorwing standard

3 RTB
2 Great Eagles with shredding talon

His list:
2 Runepriest (or whatever with those damn runes of spell breaking)

2 blocks of longbeards
1 block of hammerers
4 Gyros
2 organ guns
1 canon

Turn 1 dwarfs
He flies a gyro over my white lion to be in position to charge a RTB next turn, bombing 2 WL in the process.
His cannon takes 2 wounds off an eagle and another gyro burn 2 Reavers. His organ guns kill another reaver.

Turn 2 HE
I move my bus right behind a building, aiming towards his fartest longbeard block, my PG move towards his hammerers and my WL are between these 2 blocks hoping to charge the leftmost LB. Eagles and Reavers move aggressivly on his flank.

In my magic phase he dispel and make me forget WBW (I was hoping to send my bus behind him), apoteosis goes off as well as soul quench (no wound on his organ gun).

All 3 RTB shoot on the gyros that bombed the WL... only 2 wounds :(

Turn 2 DW
He slightly shuffle his block. His 1W Gyro charges an RTB, the other gyros kill both eagles and a reaver. The cannon shoots an RTB but doesn't wound.

My RTB kill the gyro in combat! woot!

Turn 2 HE
PG fails a charge on the hammerers, I manoeuver the SH bus in front of the leftmost LB. Reavers move to treathen his organ guns. Magic phase see me cast apotesis, arcan unforging kill a standard bearer (with rune of stubborness).
The RTB shoot another Gyro... only 2 wounds...damn it.

Turn 3 DW
His LB charge my bus, his hammerers and other LB charge my PG. Cannon kills a RTB, reavers die to gyros and organ gun (gyros wiffed). I win both combat but he held. Gyros charge a RTB.

Turn 3 HE
My WL charge the hammerers. Magic is uneventfull. I win both combat but he hold.

I lost my notes but in the end, the bus goes through the LB and charge the hammerers. My WL are all wiped and I end up with 2 PG left. Noble and Prince eventually charged out of thier bus at the end of 6 to kill both organ gun.

Game ended with 3 gyro left to him and 1 cannon. I had all mt characters, 3 SH and 2 PG. Much better than my last game. SH bus perform much better with prince and noble with magic weapons. PG were my MVP since they managed to hold and help grind his hammerers and a block of LB.
Loriel

Re: 2400 pts vs Dwarfs

#2 Post by Loriel »

First of all GZ for the victory. I will comment as I read and naturally since there isn't any battle pictures I have to make lot of assumptions ;) I recommend to start doing chronicler reports. They are really good way to learn this game and after a little while it doesn't take long time to finish report. For example my latest game report took me total 1,5h to finish (including time to make new components and editing pictures in the report)
Deamon wrote: BSB on steed with ogre blade and charmed shield
I would suggest to trade charmed shield to enchanted shield for same point cost in this particular list. Inside the unit charmed shield doesn't give much protection (well against unlucky look out sirs). Enchanted shield however gives more benefit since it doesn't expire after first use. Charmed shield is best used in solo characters such as dragon riders, great eagle nobles etc, to fend of cannon balls.
Deamon wrote: 2 x 5 Reavers bow/spear musician
How do you feel about using both bow/spear? I personally don't find it worth the points (well, in my case Reavers are usually sacrificed as I seldom use flee with them but rather stall opponents movement ;) ) Another thing I found rather out of book choice is the musician. Musician has three functions in the game
- Swift reforms, totally useless for reavers due free reform rule
- If combat resolution is tie then it will win combat by 1 unless other side have musician also. Can be worth in some combats and compared to banner it doesn't add 25 points to opponent. I would think that with only spears and ramming in warmachines this could be worth the investment.
- it gives +1 to leadership when rallying. Particularly good if you use flee reaction.

How do you use the musician and do you find it worth the extra 10 points?
Deamon wrote: 2 Great Eagles with shredding talon
Just out of curiosity were they 2 drops or 1 unit of 2 birds?
Deamon wrote: 4 Gyros
Was it 2 gyro copters and 2 bombers?. To be honest I don't remember their rules exactly, were they special or rare. I don't own the book and our regular dwarf player isn't too regular atm ;).

On other things did he get army wide hatred? On complete side note I think that is one of the worst kind of special rule exist in any warhammer rules. Gives a single D6 roll absolutely powerful boost to whole army or not.
Deamon wrote: Turn 1 dwarfs
He flies a gyro over my white lion to be in position to charge a RTB next turn, bombing 2 WL in the process.
I might be mistaken (and please correct me if I am since I don't own the dwarf book), but if my memory serves me right only the Gyro bomber has the driveby bombs and bomber cannot vanguard and regular gyro copter that can vanguard doesn't have driveby bombs. You didn't specify that this was battleline, so I assume that it was. In that case there shouldn't be anyway he could have managed to fly over you in turn 1. (unless you were playing meeting engagement or blood and glory)
Deamon wrote: In my magic phase he dispel and make me forget WBW (I was hoping to send my bus behind him), apoteosis goes off as well as soul quench (no wound on his organ gun).
Those dwarfs! Well still +2 to ward save ;)
Deamon wrote: All 3 RTB shoot on the gyros that bombed the WL... only 2 wounds :(
Eventhough numbers suggest that bolt throwers are rather good, but this is usually the same kind of results I get when using them. Thus I seldom use RBTs.
Deamon wrote: My RTB kill the gyro in combat! woot!
HAH! Fear the almost naked str 3 elves!
Deamon wrote: Turn 2 HE
Magic phase see me cast apotesis, arcan unforging kill a standard bearer (with rune of stubborness).
Was the BSB wounded allready? Arcane Unforging deals only 1 wound. Or did you mean that it destroyed the standard? Out of curiosity how did you rule the destroyed item vs. bsb or regular standard? some players sees banners to be upgrades and not items as per ;)
Deamon wrote: I manoeuver the SH bus in front of the leftmost LB
+
His LB charge my bus
This is one of the things what makes chronicler and pictures superior way to present fights. How long charge longbeards had to make in order to finish the charge? Was this lucky long charge or did you just steer in so close that he just got easy charge? Did his LB have great weapons?
Deamon wrote: Noble and Prince eventually charged out of thier bus at the end of 6 to kill both organ gun.
If I understood correctly you charged to two different targets from the same unit. Sadly the rules (By RAW) allows only 1 character to charge out of the unit, and the rest of the unit cannot declare charge anymore. Some tournaments and friendly groups might allow another character to charge alongside with other characters (forming a new unit), but I have never seeing nor heard that anyone would allow two characters to charge different targets at the same time.

-----

I have found really good use of pimped Great Eagle noble with lioncloak (or dragon armor depening on the dwarfs choise), star lance + charmed shield + crown of atrazar against dwarfs. Your opponent have pretty much up to 2 turns to kill the bastard (if you go first only 1 and if he 2) With T4 and 3W and good armor save against shooting makes it really resilient against any xbow / thunderers. Cannons have hard time killing it with 2 x 2+ "save". Volley gun is problem that you don't want to face too much as str 5 and ap can kill him, but with the movement and late deployment you can most likely utilize covers or total out of sight.

Hope these comments will help you a bit in your next battle
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame