Grenic's ETC Coven of Light Games

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Grenic

Grenic's ETC Coven of Light Games

#1 Post by Grenic »

This Battle Report covers a casual 2500 point game against a DoC player.

My 2500 pt ETC CoL List:
Lords (24.0%):
- Loremaster, GW, HA, Power Stone, Sunfire Gem, Merwyrn Shield, Giant Blade (Signature Spells, General)
- Archmage, Level 4, Book of Hoeth (Lore of Light)
Heroes (13.9%):
- Mage, Level 1, Dispel Scroll (Lore of Light)
- Mage, Level 1, Ironcurse Icon (Lore of Light)
- Noble, BSB,HA, LC, Shield, Armour of Destiny
Core (25.3%):
- 21 x Archers, Full Command
- 6 x Reavers, Spears, Champion, Standard Bearer
- 6 x Reavers, Bows, Champion
- 6 x Silver Helms, Shields, Champion, Standard Bearer
Special (20.2%):
- 22 x White Lions, Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon
- 5 x Shadow Warriors
- 5 x Shadow Warriors
Rare (16.6%):
- 4 x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
- 6 x Sisters of Avelorn
- 1 x Great Eagle

DoC List:
Lords:
- None
Heroes;
- Epidemus
- Herald of Nurgle, 1st Level
- Herald of Nurgle, BSB
Core:
- 50 x Plaguebearers of Nurgle, Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame
Special:
- 6 x Bloodcrushers of Khorne, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
- 3 x Beasts of Nurgle
- 3 x Beasts of Nurgle
- 2 x Beasts of Nurgle
Rare:
- Soul Grinder
- Burning Chariot of Tzeentch
- Skull Cannon of Khorne

Terrain & Deployment

DoC Spell Generation:
- Nurgle: Curse of the Leper

HE Spell Generation:
- Archmage: Banishment, Pha’s, Net, and Shem’s
- Mage1 (Scroll): Timewarp
- Mage 2: Speed of Light

All forests were non-magical and we agreed to play Battleline.

I won the roll off and decided to take the side with the building and I also won the placement roll-off and placed the first unit. The DoC player won the “who goes first roll-off”.

Turn 1: DoC:

Movement:
The BC unit passes it Ld test and can choose to charge or not.

The Beasts of Nurgle #2 (BN2) charges the Shadow Warrior #1 (SW1) and they decide to stand and shoot, scoring no wounds. The Soul Grinder (SG) decides to join the party and also charges the SW1, which then choose to immediately flee. As there is no other units within range, no redirections are possible. The BN2 moves 6” while the SG only moves 2”.

On my right flank, the Skull Cannon (SC) attempts a long charge on the Ellyrian Reavers #1 (ER1), which holds. The SC needs a 10+ and rolls a 12, easily making the charge.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 7 PD, 4 DD
- No wonky effects caused by this table result
- The lone spell is easily dispelled by the HE Archmage.

Shooting:
None, as all of his shooting units charged.

Combat:
The SC scores 6 Impact Hits on the the poor ER1 unit, deleting it from the table. The SC overruns right off the board.

Turn 1: High Elf

Movement:
The Silver Helm (SH) Chaff Missile charges BN3, easily making the distance.

SW1 rallies. ER2 moves to a flanking position beside the BC while the White Lions (WL) enter the building. The Great Eagle (GE) and SW2 reposition themselves to better fulfill any future Chaff Roles.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 2+2+0 PD, 2+0 DD
- The Archmage casts Banishment on the SG, scoring 10 hits of which 5 make it through, leaving the SG with one wound.

Shooting:
- Eagle Claw #3 (EC3), EC4, and the Sisters of Avalorn (SA) remove the Burning Chariot of Tzeentch (BCT) before it gets too close to the High Elf line.
- The Archers manage to score a wound on BN1. EC1, EC2, and SW2 attempt to drop the SG, but they fail to accomplish their goal.

Combat:
The SH Caff Missile manages to score a wound on BN1 while only taking one wound (due to 2+ AS). BN2 losses the combat by 2, but still passes its Ld test.

Turn 2: DoC:

Movement:
BC charges SW1, which stands and shoots scoring no wounds. BN2 attempts to charge EC1, but fails moving only 3 or 4”. BN1 charges the SH in the flank.

All other units move their maximum distance directly toward the High Elf line.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 2+1+0 PD, 2+2 DD
- Wind results is no big deal
- Spell is easily dispelled by the Archmage

Shooting:
SC misfires, no ill effects.

Combat:
The BC slam into the SW1 unit. Fortunately, they pass their Fear test and score 3 unsaved wounds on the BC unit, dropping a model. The BC unit retaliates and easily deletes the unit. The BC unit proceeds to overrun right off the board.

The SH unit scores 2 wounds on BN3 and loses 4 models in the process. The lone Standard Bearer model passes his Ld test.

We did run into a problem with this combat as BN1 was no longer in contact with SH unit and it could not be “nudged forward" to bring it back into base contact with the SH as it overlapped BN3 by one full model, meaning it would have to change its formation to pass by BN3. We also couldn’t move the lone remaining SH model over as this would take one of the models in the BN3 unit out of combat. As a result we decided to treat BN1 as being out of combat (using the No More Foes rule) and pushed it 1” from BN3. I’m still not sure if about this, thoughts?

Turn 2: High Elf:

Movement:
ER2 charges BN2.

GE flies out to take on a Charge Screen role. SA wheels to bring SC into arc in case magic fails to drop the model.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 3+2+1 PD, 3+0 DD
- The Archmage casts Banishment on SC, the dispel attempt fails. The spell scores 11 wounds on the SC, easily dispatching it.
- The Archmage then casts Shem’s on SG with 1 PD and succeeds. The spell scores 10 hits of which only one wound is cored, but that ws all that was needed to remove it from the board.
- Iceshard Blizzard is attempted on the lone SH, but the attempts fails.

Shooting:
- Archers target BN1 and score 2 wounds.
- Remaining shooting manages only to score one wound on the Plaguebearers of Nurgle(PN)

Combat:
SH model scores no wounds, but is eliminated.

ER2 scores not wounds while the lone beast manages to only score one wound. The battle is a push. BN2 attempts to reform, but fails in its attempt.

Turn 3: DoC:

Movement:
PN charges GE, which holds. BN3 attempts to charge the Archers, which stands and shoots, but scores no wounds. BN1 charges SA, which flees out of BN1’s charge range. While PN easily makes its charge, the BN3 fails blocking BN1.

BC moves back onto the board and lines itself up for an easy charge on EC2.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 5+3+0 PD, 5+0 DD
- Winds effect results in a pass Ld test on 3d6. EC1 succumbs to the effect and is removed. The Archer unit, which was also affected, only loses one model.

Combat:
GE manages to drop one PN model, but was easily removed. The PN unit reforms.

ER2 manages score a single wound on BN2, while losing two models and passes their Ld test. BN2 reforms to face ER2.

Turn 3: High Elf:

Movement:
SA unit rallies. SW2 moves up to take on a Charge Screen role.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 4+2+1 PD, 4+0 DD
- Loremaster casts Searing Doom on BC, but scores no wounds.
- Loremaster casts Fireball on BN1, dispelled
- Archmage casts Shem;s at BN1, scoring one wound
- Loremaster casts Shem’s at BN1, fails to score any wounds.
(yes, I forgot to use the Sunfire Gem and the Power Stone…)

Shooting:
- Archers target BN3 scoring a wounds and drop a model.
- EC3 and EC4 combine to sore two wounds on BN3
- EC2 fails to score any wounds on BC.

Combat:
ER2 fails its fear test and scores no wounds. BN2 scores 5 wounds, deleting what remained of the unit and then reforms.

Turn 4: DoC:

Movement:
PN charges SW2, easily making it. BC charges EC2. BN3 charges the Archers, which stand and shoot dropping the model. BN1 then charges the Archers, just barely making charge distance.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 6+4+0 PD, 6+0 DD
- Winds: no ill effects

Combat:
PN easily dispatches SW2 and reforms. BC rolls right over EC2, but fails to make it to the building.

BN1 challenges and the champion accepts. BN2 drops the champion and 5 other models. The Archers manage to score 2 wounds, but are steadfast 9. The archers attempt to reform, but fail.

Turn 4: High Elves:

Movement:
Sensing they need to exit the building, the WL move out. SA is marched up to form the last line of redirection if needed.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 6+6+0 PD, 6+0 DD
- Loremaster casts Miasma on BN1 with IF and reduces their WS by 2. For miscast, I roll a 4. Thanks to LoS and the BotWD I only lose one WL model. The Loremaster isn’t sucked into the warp and loses 1 PD
- The Archmage casts Pha’s on the Archers.
- Mage1 casts Timewarp on WL and gets IF. Result is the little template, but no WL models are lost.

Shooting:
No effect.

Combat:
Archers manage to score a wound. The beasts struggle under all of the magic and manage to also score a single wound. Thanks to the static combat resolution, the Archers win, reform, and BN1 takes an additional would from the Ld roll.

Turn 5: DoC:

Movement:
DoC units shuffle about to get into positon for their last turn. The BC had to side step as it could not make a charge on anything on the other side of the building.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 3+3+0 PD, 3+0 DD
- Winds: both eagle claws get hit by the effect. EC3 is removed, while EC4 suffers only a single wound.
- DoC gets the spell off, but has not real implications.

Combat:
The Archers score no wounds, but this time neither does the last remaining beast. Static combat resolution wins the day for the Archers and the beast is popped by the Ld roll.

Turn 5: High Elf:

Movement:
While still under the effect of the timewarp spell, they march 20” toward safety.

AR moves forward to take it out of the charge path of the BC unit.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 3+2+1 PD, 3+0 DD
- Archmage casts the net on PN, which he lets go.
- Mage1 casts timewarp on the WL unit, which the DoC player fails to dispel.

Turn 6: DoC:

Movement:
BN2 moves around in anticipation of the PN unit moving. The PN unit fails it strength test roll and has to remain in palce.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 5+3+0 PD, 5+0 DD
- Winds result has no ill effect.

Turn 6: High Elf:

Movement:
WL about face and move around 10” toward the DoC units.

Magic:
Winds of Magic: 2+1+0 PD, 2+0 DD
- Loremaster attempts the Spirit Leech on the DoC BSB. Spell goes off, the Loremaster and the Herald tie their Ld rolls.

Shooting:
No real effect

Outcome:
The High Elves scored 860 victory points, while the DoC scored 830 victory points (including 2 unit banners), a draw.
Nicene

Re: Grenic's ETC Coven of Light Games

#2 Post by Nicene »

How many plaguebearers were left by the end?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Iluvatar

#3 Post by Iluvatar »

Thanks for the report! Very clear and detailed, it's easy to follow the action through the whole game. The one thing you could improve would be to tick the units as "charging" or "fleeing" in BC when appropriate, as their movement arrows would appear yellow or red then. But that's a detail.

I was a little afraid for you when the Plaguebearer horde got close to your lines, but the inability of the Daemons army to clear your chaff before it did its job allowed you to avoid the big bad unit. It's always going to be hard to win against this army since the 1100+ points block is very hard to shift, so unless you're lucky to snipe one of the characters you're down to chasing points elsewhere, and beasts are not that easy to kill either...

I like how you played the Silver Helms and West Reavers, with suicide charges rather than the more common redirection. Provided you hold on the charge, it is actually more efficient to pin a unit in place, especially if they wipe you out in the 2nd round or more, since that denies them pursuit... Good job on this!

Do you have any comment regarding the game? Are you happy with your army's performance? Do you think of a few things you or your opponent could have done better?
mcmulligan

#4 Post by mcmulligan »

In the helm combat, you should have moved the helm over to remain in contact with the second unit.

Yes this would have taken one of the models out of contact, but that's a natural consequence of inflicting casualties on a unit.
Grenic

#5 Post by Grenic »

Been quite busy this last month and wasn't able to respond until now.

@Nicene, there were about 45 plaguebearers or so at the end of the game.

@Iluvatar, this game was my first attempt at a single Banishment ETC based list.

Pre-game Thoughts:
I wasn't too concerned about the horde of plaguebearers as my Chaffmaster lists tend to be designed to specifically counter these types of lists. A M4 horde isn't really a combat threat until turn 3, maybe on turn 2 if it gets a long charge in, so I had time to focus on his faster support units. First on this list was the Soul Grinder, then the Skull Cannon, and finally the Flaming Chariot. The Bloodcrushers would have to be redirected and this would delay their arrival sufficiently.

The wild cards were the three units of Beasts of Nurgle. I had not played against these very often, but assumed they likely had regen, 5+ WS, some crazy attack stat, 4 wounds, and likely T5. I expected to be able to shoot them off with a combo of magic missiles and the Sisters.

As for magic, with the DoC player only having a 1st level, I felt I easily had the magic supremacy, no scroll is just icing on the cake.

As for deployment, my plan was to use my usual set-up, White Lions central with the Great Eagle directly behind the building to make sure it wouldn't get cannoned off. Archers are on one side or the other of the Lions. The remaining chaff units are placed based on what the intended role was. In this game allocation of my chaff was relatively straightforward, 2 allocated to screening the Lions (Great Eagle and 1 Shadow Warrior), my cav based Chaff would be looking to tie up the Beasts of Nurgle and/or the chariot units, and the Bloodcrushers would be charged up by the last Shadow Warrior unit and 2 Eagle Claws. I had anticipated that Banishment would take off the Soul Grinder turn 1 or 2, so I didn't need to allocate any my chaff here.

Losing the initiative was a drag as this would have given me a distinct advantage. While the Shadow Warriors are a good Chaff unit, their big advantage is that they reduce your drops increasing the chances of being able to get the +1 for the initiative roll.

My expectation for this game was a draw or small win, depending on how the Winds of Magic were blowing. I also knew that a Coven of Light list without Teclis has no real way to counter a horde, so the plaguebearers and his characters were safe, but then again so we're mine! The Bloodcrushers were also likely safe given the unit’s 6 model strength. This meant that to score a win I needed to delete the Beasts of Nurgle, Skull Cannon, Burning Chariot of Tzeentch, and the Soul Grinder.

Post Game Thoughts:
It was certainly a drag to have the magic supremacy, but due to poor Winds of Magic rolls not being able to fully capitalise on it. My first 3 turns were 4, 6, and 7, below the average of about 8 per phase. Then to get 12, while somewhat helpful at the time, was almost offset by the two miscasts that occurred.

The Beasts of Nurgle were a real challenge, especially once they had rerolls on their ward saves, which is slightly better than a 4+ regen, and T6 all thanks to that Nurgle tally.

Epidemis, apart from his tally benefits was mostly a non-event as I basically chaffed up this big unit.

I felt that my Chaff units worked as planned. In the game I used many of Chaffmaster roles outlined in my posting on Chaffmastery. The redirection of the plaguebearers horde was completed using Charge Screens (Great Eagle, Shadow Warrior unit), the Bloodcrushers were diverted by a Shadow Warrior Unit, and finally the Beasts of Nurgle were charged up using a Chaff Missile and a Wing Formation. Oddly even the Reavers that were eliminated by the Skull Cannon's long charge resulted in that unit being somewhat out of position not to mention that the model couldn't charge on turn 2.

The conga lined Silver Helms was intended to test the Chaff Missile tactic. This unit performed really well holding up two Beasts of Nurgle units until turn 3. The other Reaver unit, with its champion demonstrated how the Chaff Wing Formation tactic worked. In this case he challenged, which was accepted by my champion (apparently these models have to challenge).

Of the things I needed to complete to win:
- Avoid the plaguebearers horde: check
- Avoid the Bloodcrushers: check
- Drop the Soul Grinder: check
- Drop the Chariots: check
- Drop the Beasts of Nurgle: 2/3 complete

Overall assessment: the list performed as expected even with weak Winds of Magic rolls.