Dwellers of Tor Gard (Short Invasion write up)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Browncastle

#1 Post by Browncastle »

Hei here you have my Highelf army, its based on chrasian theme. Im making a woodelf army to og along as a shadow Warriors army . Using Shadow Warriors as Waywatchers Sisters as Scouts, With hagbane Arrows or such.

Well here is a army shot of my current highelves:
Imagearmy by browncastle81, on Flickr

This is a assemble of what my woodelves will be, still some grennstuffing to do and more bases:P I have 2 older woodelves armies, but I wont use many models from them just some bits and occasional models. My ShadowWarriors/Waywatchers are old confrontation models, If any one has some left, Im looking for the last 2 or 3 to be able to Field 2 x 10 Waywatchers. There Is also the possibility to use them as shades also. Some of them will have Crossbows. Shadow mages and waystalkers to gain magical dominans is my gameplan With this army.

ImageIMG_3197[1] by browncastle81, on Flickr

Here you can follow my painting log here http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281, Ill post up some armyshots and finished model in this blog.
Last edited by Browncastle on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
John Rainbow

Re: TorBrow - Chraze Wildhunters

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Looking great so far. Would love some closeups though!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#3 Post by SpellArcher »

Old Dryads FTW!

:)
teep

#4 Post by teep »

Ooooh, I love heavily converted, well themed armies. And close ups :D!
Browncastle

#5 Post by Browncastle »

It took me some time to reply, as Ive not had the time for much lately, Ive been orginzing a new location for our gaming club lately, not even getting a game in myself:P

Here you have some close ups off the sisters, Il make some more, Ill try to do a swap with witch elves, got lots of bows left. I should have about 40 I belive. Thanks for all the nice replys.

The Lions will get some new bigger bases, finally fielded as Monsterous cav.

Browncastle

#6 Post by Browncastle »

Had a game this Sunday, played Woodelves vs Highelves, One off my Club mates, took curu`s stardragon list from Invasion, he came 2nd at that tournament, So potentially a hard match up.

My list:
Spellweaver, steed, dispelscroll, 4++, highmagic
hand of glory, arcane unforging, drain Magic and way between worlds.

Gladecaptain, Greatstag, starfire, helm of the hunt, hail of doom, Shield, spear, BSB

Waystalker, bow of loren

Waystalker

21 gladeguard, trueflight, FCG

10 Gladeriders, hagbane, FCG, gleaming pendant

5 Deepwood scouts, hagbane

9 Sisters of thorne, FCG, banner of disiplin

5 Wilriders, Champ, std, Shields

8 Waywatchers, Champ

8 Waywatchers, Champ [/size=85]

The match was fast and brutal, Curse of anhraheir was instrumental, I got first turn and struck the helms With the curse. My scouts managed to sneak closer to frostphoenix, and put a wound on it. And 2 bolthrowers got shot of and a mage lost a wound to the waystalkers. trueflight Archers put a wound on the Prince and dragon. He moved up helms and lost 8 Knights to Dangerous terrain:/

Turn 2

He could have been lining up charges, and cleared up my left flank but instead he shifted over toward my right flank, where most of my expensive units ran. But Fastcav and Characters moved fast and long, to poison of a bolthrower leaving them far away from helm and Dragon. I played a little game With his Frosty With the wildriders, I had them threatening, and he offered me a charge, I moved close and reformed out of his charge arc. 8 waywatchers med MS , 5 HBscouts , 21 TFArchers , took 4 wounds of a Phoenix, leaving nothing but feathers. I don't know the Math on this one but isn't that about average
Only 5 helms were left, on his left flank, reapers and last bolthrower goes Down. Dragon takes 2 more wounds from shooting, leaving nothing but feathers. One mage gets shoot up, The sisters With characters line up for a charge on small silverhelms hiding behind a hill. And curse goes up again on silverhelms. He moves them up again! An here is were it goes all wrong as both his nobles fail a DT test. So both noble are Down to 1 wound each.

Turn 3 Sisters charge small helms. Wild riders are playing hide and seek With the helms, one unit of scouts Blocks the helms and heroes, I move everything out of stardragons view. Last mage gets double snipes and goes Down, Waywatcher unit one hits 7 times:o And wounds 5 times, Scouts kill 2 Knights and the nobles are the only ones left when the last unit of waywatcher shoots, leaving none standing. Small helms are removed for no Returns.
I believe I had 5 highmagic Counters on sister by now. Lone dragon Lord is left in the middle of the Board, he tries to move back to minimize shooting and put some hurt on the sisters.

Turn 4 Prince is on 1wound and dragon on 1wound when I start my Magic phase, arcane unforging goes trough and pops him. Poison javelins, gladeriding hagbanes, waystalkers, and some longrange waywatchers prove to much, and Dragon falls. Ending the game. 20 - 0

It was a terrible match up, and my list was slightly tailored, but I believe this list might be potent vs. other lists also so, and may work nicely vs. the New 50% HEROES AND LORDS list will see coming along. Im a little unsure If I lost anything I believe I lost a single sister turn 1, to the last bolthrower. I feel early casualties made him do mistakes, Turn 2 He could have been lining up charges, and cleared up my left flank but instead he shifted over toward my right flank, where most of my expensive units ran. But he could never really threaten me as I had tons of small redirectors, I really thought I would have to sacrificed both 5 man teams of scouts, on my right flank, to delay him. The firepower where just a little to precise. Hand of glory on waywatchers made my day. I really enjoyed seeing the stack of high Magic Counters, by turn 3 I had 5 Counters. He had 2 LvL 2 mages, vs. my LVL4 + Sisters wish where lvl 3 all game. 2 snipers and arcane unforging is good stuff.
Last edited by Browncastle on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Browncastle

#7 Post by Browncastle »

Saw the New FAQ from GW, they really push 50% Lords and Heroes on us:P Well I thought I make a list to og With it.
Anointed on Frosty, Giantblade, enchanted, Shield dawnstone

Archmage, steed, dispelscroll, 4++ khains ring, Beast

Prince on Eagle, Armour of Destiny, reaverbow, potion of strenght, Shield, lioncloak, halberd

Mage, LvL 2, forbidden rod, steed, Beast

9 reavers, SnB, harbringer

10 Silverhelms, FCG, Shields

12 Dragonprinces, FCG, BotWD, Starlance, dragonhelm
or
Anointed on Frosty, Giantblade, enchanted, Shield dawnstone

Archmage, steed, dispelscroll, 4++ khains ring

Prince on Eagle, Armour of Destiny, reaverbow, potion of strenght, Shield, lioncloak, halberd

Mage, LvL 2, forbidden rod, steed

Noble, BSB, BotWD, Shield, barded steed, dragonarmour, great weapon

10 Silverhelms, FCG, Shields

Frost Phoenix
wamphyri101

#8 Post by wamphyri101 »

Not sure if 3 lords are worth it

Leaves you with really low body body count

Btw how did you get the images to work from Flickr?

Had a bitch of a time trying to post mine
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
Browncastle

#9 Post by Browncastle »

hey, oh its pretty easy, try on more time:/

I belive you can make some lord heavy lists work. Stadragon, anointed on phoenix/second Stardragon, dragonmage, 600core, another phoenix or ekstra mage + bsb
But Im just experimenting with the new rules.
Browncastle

#10 Post by Browncastle »

Small lupdate on the games Ive had the last couple of weeks, Ive been managing a new club, so I havent gotten to take pictures as Ive been constantly pulled away from my own games to judge others. Ill try to get some more pictures.

Woodelves vs OnG
Some how OnG are pretty common here, think we have 3 players here now. 8 waywatchers fell first round to a s 3 magic missile. Turn 3 saw his last magic user fall, and all warmachines and fantatics, and the big squigs were downed. A fiery conovocation on his big block of savages sealed the match, OnG tabled turn 6.

20 - 0

WoC vs OnG
Ive assembled my WoC during the last weeks, so I had to give them a go. He had a quite unusual list with lots of fast cav, I belive his army were all mounted. He lacked resent experince, and he had an overconfindence on poison shooting, wish led to him declaring stand an shoot, on several occations, were he easilly would have gotten away from my chariots. hellcannon misfired first round and moved 12" forward, so I charged him into some fastcav, 2nd round. Overunning into his Boar boys. So he were in his deployment zone, arachnarok spider cleared him off, but this made his army cornered by chariots, heroes and Warriors, so his center got run down turn 3, I belive we played 2 more rounds, but He never got back in the match and forfied.

20 - 0
Browncastle

#11 Post by Browncastle »

Im having a match tomorrow, and Im looking for a list, I plondering through battlescribe, but Id like to try something new out, anyone got a list they think I should try out. btw Ive got most unit choices and some duplicates, and can proxy what ever models I might be missing.
Browncastle

#12 Post by Browncastle »

Finally I got around to take some pictures of a game. New guy came to the club to day, and he brought another OnG army. Feels like Im fighting through a invasion or something, this is the 3rd match against OnG in a row.

I brought this list:
Anointed on Frostheart
giantblade, dawnstone, enchanted shield, potion of foolhardyness

BSB, barded steed, GW, shield, lioncloak,BotWD

Mage, lvl 2, steed, scroll, Khains ring

Mage, lvl 2, steed, forbidden Rod

5 Reavers SnB

5 Reavers SnB

5 Reavers SnB

10 Silverhelms, FCG, shields

10 Archers

20 Whitelions, FCG, gleaming pendant

3 Eagleclaw bolthrowers

Frostheart
Icant remember his exact list, but, he had Grom in his big wolf chariot, the wolf rider sc with 9 howlers, a black orc horde, savage orcs, biguns, boarboys, big spider unit, 2 samll spider units, arrerboys, 2 giants, 20 nightgoblins with 3 fanatics.

ImageOrcs vs HE by browncastle81, on Flickr

This is after vanguard, I make a move up the middle, and denies him. I then follow up with winning the roll for first.

This is top of my 2nd turn, most of his west Is cleared, by magic shooting, some panicking spiders. Boarboys gets manhandeled by Anointed(FP) + helms. Wolfrider SC is left alone with Fiery still burning. Biguns fail animosity, moves 4" up, and manage to charge Frost phoenix, they lose, but hold. WL charge in and mop up. After this his giant charge WLs, but never get to swing.

Savages and Grom charge Reavers and Impact hits remove them, Savages overrun, In my turn they get charged, by FP + WLs. And I bring down his only magic user, a lvl 2 savage shaman. Anointed charge the lonely troll, but only sneek through a singel wound, troll flee, but I restrain. In the west stuff his stuff is moving up, and Im taking potshots at his chaff.

Just another picture of the same moment. after the combat WLs reform, and Frostphoenix overrun into grom, the giant comes to Groms rescue, In combat Grom puts 2 wounds on the bird, but I make my ward saves. I then fluff my attacks, giant where down to 2 wounds but i didnt manage a single wound. He rolls up initative test or 2d6 wounds, he makes 9 wounds, and I fail 5. bye bye birdy.

Turn 4 Anointed(FP) + Helms + WLs charge Grom and Giant. Fiery con burns 13 black orcs, shooting takes off 1 fanatic, and some arrerboys. Grom gets lanced, and giant fall, luckly backwards away from my troops.

Top of my turn 5, and where we called it, reavers moved up to redirect his black orcs, but made sure to trigger fanatics, 4 black orcs perished to 3d6 hits:o and 4 reavers to d6:/ I pass my check:) He doesnt charge through them put still get hit by 1 in his turn, losing some. And one goes through silvehelms(11") In my 5th fiery burns 13 Night goblins, and hand of glory goes up on Helms. Anointed(FP) + silverhelm finish Black orcs off, for 1 w on mage. WLs handle arrer boys, without losing a single model all game! Helms slam into Nightgoblins and we call it.

My opponent was a sport, and the game was fun from start to end. My refused flank worked flawless, and it was fun to use the mounted Anointed for the first time.
Browncastle

#13 Post by Browncastle »

I thought Ill post the list I used at Invasion this year:

Allariell

Anointed
charmed shield, goldencrown, khains ring of fury

Seahelm
banner of avelorn

Handmaiden
Horn of Isha

Noble
Barded steed, lioncloak, shield, halberd, heavy armour.

Noble
Barded steed, lioncloak, shield, halberd, heavy armour.

9 Reavers
FCG, spear n bow

9 Reavers
Mus, Harbringer, bows

9 Silverhelms
FCG, shields

25 Whitelions
FCG, BotWD

19 Sisters of Avelorn
High sister

2000p (well supposed to be 2400p lol)
Invasion were in september, and were SLoS, but no comp, 2000p. I went down in Kristiansand, the most southern city of Norway

I had great success in practice games before the tournament, and won all my games, unfortunate because it didn't show me how much I needed the crown on my anointed. In the tournament It proved disastrous as I lost a game 0 - 20 because of this. Were pushing against a fellow highelf, and had him under pressure but a 10 man silverhelm charge took out all my characters and sisters. 0 - 20

Against Woodelf I didn't manage to save them against a late game Orion charge, making a 16 - 4 in my favor into a 8 - 12. Other than this and some tactical manouvers I could have done with 2 stubborn units, the list did work well. Highlight In this game were removing 10 waywatchers In the first round. 8 - 12

I had 2 games against WoC, first one vs. a throgg list(DPnurgle, Throgg, 2x9 trolls, 2 chimeras, hellcannon) In this game the power of this list really shined through, Sisters shoot of both chimeras in the 2 first turns, then took off trolls in big heaps, I did a tactical blunder late game, leaving 3 trolls to secure the objective(750vp), and challenged with my anointed vs. his DP to conserve points, when my WL should have grinded him down. 10 - 10

Second game vs. WoC, didn't have some game changing objective. His army where roughly 2 hellcannons a lvl 4 death mounted, nurgle knights(8) 30 Khorne warriors, Lord + bsb, 2 units of dogs. Highlight of this game: He had moved his warriors with lord and bsb into a house in the middle of the table. My reavers blocked him in the tower. He did a major blunder as he cast DnD on my sisters, with anointed in them. I brought down his knights with a single round of shooting and a charge by WLs, and a blocking 1+ noble. His hellcanons where also grinded down. He never came back in the match, and warriors never left the building, to conserve points, but by taking down both hellcannons I secured a 20 - 0.

Last game where against Bretonnia, I deployed using refused flank, and he did the same. I dwellerd one trebuchet first round and the other went down by some reavers, I finished of his Pegasus knights early also. Then we called of the attack and started moving his army back towards the opposite flank. I tried to dweller some of his units, and I lost a unit of reavers by charging one of his units in the rear but, I fluffed my attacks, and he got a lucky wound back on me, and broke me instead, he also got 50% for the sister and the other reaver unit. 10 - 10

So overall I didn't perform, as I would liked to. But after game 2, I changed my focus and started playing more defensive, going for 10 - 10, wish gave me 10 -10, 20 - 0. 10 - 10 in the last 3 games, so quite happy with the outcome even though, and I placed above my clubmates in the end:P

Here is a link to my pretourny amylist development, thanks for all the insightful knowledge given by fellow ulthuans. viewtopic.php?f=67&t=66958
Last edited by Browncastle on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Dwellers of Tor Gard (Short Invasion write up)

#14 Post by Curu Olannon »

No wonder you struggled if your army was 2k - mine and everyone else´s was 2400 :D
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Browncastle

#15 Post by Browncastle »

Haha I even spell checked my writings and I manage to forget the points value:P
Browncastle

#16 Post by Browncastle »

Had another game today vs Empire. We used the New Magic ET. so 4d6 magicphases, I had the Complete lores of Light, Life and Highamagic on allarielle, and Metal on archmage. He had two lvl4s with Metal and Fire. So loads of spells, the game took alittle longer than usually, but as we get used to having so any spells I quess It will run as fast as before. We didnt include the part about joining all Three elven races, since there havent been publised a Empire/Bretonnia book, yet.

2400pts
Empire

General of the Empire
Barded warhorse, Full Plate armour, Runefang

Wizard Lord
Barded warhorse, Lore of Fire, Wizard level 4, Sigil of Sigmar, Power Scroll

Wizard Lord
Barded warhorse, Lore of Metal, Wizard level 4, Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Trinket

Witchhunter, GW

Ludwig Schwarzhelm

10x Knightly Orders
Champion, Lance and shield, Musician, Standard bearer

10x Archers (80pts), Skirmishers

20x Spearmen
Shield, Musician, Standard bearer

10x Archers (80pts) (det)

10x Handgunners (80pts) (det)

Great Cannon

Great Cannon

18x Great Swords

Mortar

Steamtank
High Elves

Alarielle the Radiant

Archmage
Lore of Metal, Wizard Level 4, Dispel Scroll

Handmaiden of the Everqueen
Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength

Noble
Battle Standard Bearer, Banner of Avelorn, Dragon Armour, Shield, Great Weapon

16x Archer
FCG

5x Ellyrian Reaver, Bow
5x Ellyrian Reaver, Bow

10x Silver Helm
FCG, shields

21x White Lion
Banner of the World Dragon, FCG

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Frostheart Phoenix
ImageIMG_3229 by browncastle81, on Flickr

He grabs first turn, and moves slightly up. my vanguarded reavers, lose 4 members, and cannons shoots of 2 silverhelms, and 3 whitelions(forgot 5++ ward)

ImageIMG_3230 by browncastle81, on Flickr

Silverhelms with BSB, charges spearmen. Whitelions move up full speed. Single reaver Blocks his knightbus. Magic goes mental, first I get thrones up, then flesh to stone, sword of aiban, and finish of with Shield of thornes. I belive I also killed of some handgunners. Shooting saw handgunners fall, Schirmishing Archers flee, with 3 left, Archer detachment also flee. Pretty devastating phases, in combat silverhelms ran Down spearmen.

He used 5 steam Points and used all to move, 5d6 sent him far longer than the 17" he needed, slaming into my whitelions. He kills 7 Whitelions, with his 14 Impact hits(5++ saved the day) I held and reformed. Both Archers rallied. His Lord removed the single reaver.

My turn Helms, charge mortar, New reaver unit Blocks Knights. Magic puts, sword of aiban on whitelions, and flesh to stone atleast. Shooting takes of both his Archer units. I get 5ws on the steamtank.

ImageIMG_3232 by browncastle81, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3234 by browncastle81, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3236 by browncastle81, on Flickr

Reavers get charged, and Bounce threw, Impassable terrain, losing 3 to Dangerous terrain. Greatswords Block up his movement, and his lord moves up to treaten silverhelm + bsb. I dont remeber much of this Magic phase. I belive he tried to blast frosty but didnt score a wound. Some Knights got cannond. Steamtank goes Down.

Silverhelms, goes for the cannon, If I can manage to take out both cannons, I dont mind losing the unit and BSB. Frostheeart Block Knights. I completly fumble this Magic phase, I belive I get flesh to stone on silverhelms, but vs runefang its a completly Waste. And my metal archmage goes Down the hole, ops! Silverhelms overrun into 2nd bolthrower. Shooting kills of his wandering firemage.

ImageIMG_3237 by browncastle81, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3238 by browncastle81, on Flickr

Witch hunter redirects WLs, Knights move back, Lord charges silverhelms. He gets sword of aiban on his lord, in combat he maims my champion, and I take Down the last cannon, I hold and reform.

my turn Frosty charges greatswords and white lions Axe the annoing witch hunter. Last 2 reavers Block Knights again. I get Shield of thornes on frosty, and pha`s on silverhelms. Shooting does 1 or 2 wounds on Knights. Ìn combat his lord kills my bsb, Im steadfast and hold. frosty goes to town on the greatswords with the help of Shields, I reform and leaves his last greatsword running towards my gunline.

ImageIMG_3241 by browncastle81, on Flickr

Last Picture is his turn 5, Knights charge reavers, in Magic he forgets to put swords of aiban on his lord. Knights overrun into Frosty, and his lord fumbles, killing only one Knight.

After this WLs, charge Knights in flank. I get pha`s on frosty, and silverhelms. Whitelions get flesh to stone. I kill some Knights but he holds. His lord fumbles again leaving 3 silverhelms.

In his 6th turn Knights are run Down by frosty, WLs reform towards his Lord. The lord again fumbles and leaves 1 helm.

My 6th WLs charge his lord. I get of 2 regrowths, allmost up to starting size, and to top it off, I get enchanted blades of aiban. His Lord kils last silverhelm, and 2 WLs, I cut him Down.

End result: Empire tabled, my loses; BSB, silverhelms, 2x5 reavers, archmage.

Funny note, his witch-hunter called out allarielle as a traitor, quite fitting to the New fluff.
RE.Lee

#17 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the report and congrats on the win! The Empire player seems to pick some rather soft unit choices - mortar, spearmen are not something you see everyday. The new magic phase does take a bit longer than usual, even more so if you pick mages with access to multiple lores (like Alarielle). The witchhunter calling out the Everqueen probably did hurt, but I'm sure they settled things after the battle over tea and biscuits ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Browncastle

#18 Post by Browncastle »

Thanks! Im starting to get the hang on this kind of list. The Emp player is a returning player, hasnt played since start of 7th edition. I belive he took the greatswords since he just bought some and wanted to try them out. He got 10 more Knights and some demigryps, so he can Field a more combat oriented list if He wants. Infact we will swap armies for a game, I want to help him get a more competive list. If anyone has any pointers Id be reallly happy.

As for the Magic, some Magic phases went faster than the old system other took quite longer. I probly used most time, having 4 full lores is confusing at times. But I ended up using enchanted blade(metal), flesh to stone and Pha`s most of the phases. I never used any 15+ spell, as when he used final transmutation, he ended up using all his dice, as you have to declear what spell Your about to cast, before checking for dice, so he had to trow away alot of dice before he rolled up a 5 or a 6. I found it alot more effective to go for many small spells as I got atleast 2 spells off every phase.

Well the only part of the witch-hunter to dine With allarielle that night was his pointy hat.
Browncastle

#19 Post by Browncastle »

Had 3 games, With the 600/1200/1800/2400 comp ferny posted. I persuaded my Club to try it out. So a really effective Club evening, lots of small and fast 600p games. No Pictures this time:(

My list
Archmage
MR(2) LVL4 (High magic)

20 LSG
FCG, Shields

9 Silverhelms
Mus/STD, Shields

2x Eagleclaw BT

My first were against VC, were I made him come to me, shot of his dogs. I then fiery con`d his bunker to pieces, then combo charged it. Lost 1 Knight.

2nd match were against Orcs n Gobbos, this game went Down almost the same, bolthrowers, bows and soulquense took out all his chaff, and left 1 of 3 trolls standing. Helms charged and finished the troll. Then fiery scorched his Savages, he then rolled double 1s in his magicphase, so they continue burning leaving only the frontrank. An mighty combocharge saw his Warboss and Savages fall. When my fourth turn started 10 Blackorcs, were standing in no mans land, facing all my army. Shooting plus Magic left 2 BO, ending the game.

3rd were against Woodelves, I got rolled in this game, 3 warhawks charged LSG + LVL4 in the flank, and I failed a ld 9 steadfast LD. Silverhelms failed a 15" charge on his waywatchers, and got pepperd, and my bolthrowers were moon shoot to pieces. We called it on the start of 4th turn.

Fun evening With lots of People showing up, and tons of games. Good times.