143. Undead Legions vs High Elves

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

143. Undead Legions vs High Elves

#1 Post by Jimmy »

143. Undead Legion vs. High Elves
=========================

This is another self matched game that is there was only one player - me. Keep in mind there are tactical blunders aplenty and boy oh boy did the dice do some crazy things.

Like or hate it prepare to be entertained.

Overview
--------
Date played: Saturday, 6 September 2014

Undead Legion
----------
(LHP) Liche High Priest
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Nehekara (Desert Wind, Desiccation, Smiting, Protection)
(SA1) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA2) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA3) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA4) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SW) 30 Skeleton Warriors
- Full Command
(HA1) 5 Horse Archers
(HA2) 5 Horse Archers
(HA3) 5 Horse Archers
(NK1) 4 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, Musician
(NK2) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(NK3) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(S) 3 Stalkers
(TS) Tomb Scorpion
(C1) 3 Carrion
(C2) 3 Carrion
(N) Necrosphinx
(SSC) Screaming Skull Catapult
(CoS) Casket of Souls

I was running the EBTS/MSU list again with no changes. Against the High Elves who didn't have a large unit count I was confident this list could determine exactly where the enemy would come from. The only thing I wouldn't be able to nail down in a hurry was the Flamespyre Phoenix however at least I could bank on the Stalkers hopefully appearing and damaging it. Even S3 fire would hurt it eventually. The combat blocks were a different story however, shooting I'd need to bank on in order to whittle down the Swordmasters as I certainly didn't want to engage them full strength and the Phoenix guard left unchecked would easily out grind anything I had available. Of course the Elven
shooting would do as much damage to me being T3 however I'd be able to at least heal some casualties back. The Entombed units would be looking to break up the enemy gun line and then make a clean sweep across the battle field.

High Elves
----------
(AoA) Anointed of Asuryan
- Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Ring of Fury
(A1) Archmage
- Talisman of Preservation, Book of Hoeth
(N) Noble
- Battle Standard Bearer, Potion of Strength, Great Weapon, Reaver Bow, Charmed Shield
(SoH) 22 Swordmasters of Hoeth
- Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon
(PG) 20 Phoenix Guard
- Full Command, Razor Standard
(A2) 20 Archers
- Full Command
(A3) 15 Archers
- Musician
(ER1) 5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Musician, Spears
(ER2) 5 Ellyrian Reavers
- Musician, Spears
(FP) Flamespyre Phoenix
(SoA) 5 Sisters of Avelorn

I do enjoy this High Elves list. Making full use of the lore attribute with High magic it's not uncommon to see the Swordmaster block with a 3-4+ ward save in combat. With their relatively reliable damage output they can chop with the best of them whilst taking massively reduced casualties. Add in the Anointed and the amount of buffs he gives them makes them a wonderful unit. I was really worried about the Sisters and what to do with them fearing they'd get picked off quick smart. Secondly because Undead Legion hasn't been clarified as a force of destruction (however assuming they would be?) I would not be applying any extra modifiers to their shooting. The Archer units would be
focusing on the Archer blocks and Horse Archers so they wouldn't be dictating my movement in the latter stages of the game, hopefully with 2 x Soul Quenches as well I'd be able to drop these units quick smart.

Deployment
----------

Undead Legions

UL win the roll off and start with the small archer block drops. I opt to use the tower to break up the oncoming Swordmasters and Phoenix guard if they work in unison and secondly it would mean the Undead Forces would not be able to be flanked. I'd be looking to use my Skeleton block to break steadfast against either the PG or SM and at the last minute march my Priest into the safety of the tower or another nearby unit. I was going to keep some elements around the Casket to ensure a pesky Flamespyre wouldn't come in and spoil my plans. Scorpion went the EBTS route this game to help double team with the other entombed elements.

High Elves

As touched above I really struggled with placement for the Sisters. With the UL marching now it meant regardless of where they went they would eventually get fired upon, even a single hit from the SSC could spell the end for them. I ensured the Reavers were out of harms way as I'd need these badly in the later turns to keep the pressure onto the UL back line, clean up the smaller elements and of course try and gain some magical dominance with the casket out of the way. Having walk between worlds opened up an interesting scenario, it could be cast on the infantry blocks to have them move right through the building and basically into the UL deployment zone causing all sorts of mayhem.

Even though the High Elves are out deployed the Undead Legion steal the initiative and take the first turn!

Turn 1 - Undead Legion
-------------------

The ancient Liche Priest gestured and the animation took place as the Undead forces shuffled into place....

Once again the marching comes into play here as I zoom the Necrosphinx behind the tower. This would give me an opportunity next turn to zoom it another 20" (unless I got desert wind of course) to setup a turn 3 charge. Of course the risk comes at getting pin cushioned as the mass S3 fire would easily be capable to chipping wounds off the big guy, second to that regardless of what he charged he'd be risking wounds before he got to swing. The left flank I really didn't have an answer for at this stage, the Flamespyre could basically come down and dispose of units piece meal at a time until at least my entombed units arrived to do one of two things, either pressure the main combat blocks forcing the Phoenix to help out, or secondly protect the casket/harass the Phoenix itself.

Magic is a 8 vs 5 for the opening round and right away I throw 2 dice at Light of Death targeting the Phoenix, it turns out a poor roll and the High Elves are able to dispel with a single die. 4D6 is then thrown at Desiccation, if I could get a hit with the SSC and drastically thin their numbers it would go a long way to flanking the swordmasters late game (High Elves point of view, I was going to let this through simply because if they were hit they'd still be sporting a 5+/4+ save and I had to save dice to get rid of Desert wind!). Desiccation goes through and finally with 2d6 desert wind is attempted but easily dispelled with 4 remaining dispel dice. I can see Desert Wind becoming equally as imminent to prevent next to Light of Death in some army builds. Naturally the SSC scatters and hits nothing but air - 10 points for planning though!

Shooting drops 2 sisters and a single Swordmaster. An underwhelming opening frame however and I was concerned about the Phoenix.

The entombed units eagerly await their turn to come onto the battlefield and make their presence known...

Turn 1 - High Elves
-------------------

With the looming threat of a Necrosphinx and possibly entombed units I brought the unit of Reavers up to divert something next turn. I moved the Phoenix Guard to 'guard' the flank of the Swordmasters if the Necrosphinx tried to take advantage of that. Flamespyre zooms up closer to it's goal.

Magic mirrors the last turn with an 8 vs 5 phase and right away I don't want that Necrosphinx reaching my lines at 100% so ring of fury bursts forth however it yields no damage. I then throw Tempest at the Skeleton warriors with 3D6 and this goes through shattering 13 Skeletons opening up a hole in the Undead lines. Soul Quench is then attempted again however is dispelled. Finally Walk between worlds is attempted on the Swordmasters (move them up closer, no room for a charge from Necrosphinx) with the remaining 2 dice but it stopped by the Undead magic.

A nice dent...

Shooting from the Elves drops 2 Skeleton Archers, 6 warriors and a single Horse Archer.

Flame budgie incoming.

Turn 2 - Undead Legion
-------------------

I roll up for Entombed units, a unit of Knights shows up ready to start the shenanigans in the High elves back lines, the Scorpion however turns up on my table edge so I wouldn't be relying on that unit for the rest of the game. Finally the Stalkers turn up in a perfect position to give some curry to the Flamespyre Phoenix. The Necrosphinx zooms up and sits next to the Phoenix Guard anticipating their next move (or more so me questioning myself!). Magic turns out to be a 12 vs 7 phase and right away I throw 4d6 dice at light of death targeting the Phoenix to see if it draws any dice out however the High Elves remain resolute (HE - I figured it was dead anyway due to the Stalkers and

if if lived it's not like the Undead would be getting any stand and shoot reactions so I let it through). The Bird takes 3 wounds. 2D6 are thrown at protection to give some added padding to the Necrosphinx for all of the shooting I'm sure it was about to cop but the High Elves would have none of that and it was whisked away. I really needed to get rid of the Reavers and even Sisters as they could all interfere with the Necrosphinx grand plans to cause damage. 6D6 was pelted at Smiting and a miscast was granted (apologies as I did not list this on the map) and the damage was spread across the army dropping a single Horse Archer, blowing apart 8 Skeleton Archers and wounding the Liche
Priest.

The shooting phase comes and the SSC aims to put a massive dent in the archer unit that hopefully the Knights will over run into however the winds have other ideas and instead it clips the back of the Reavers killing one but the panic test (with re-roll) takes them right off the battlefield. I could live with that. Shooting then allows me to focus onto the Sisters who succumb to arrow wounds. Poor girls.

Pay attention people, this is how you roll for Stalkers....

Yep, Stalkers kill the Phoenix but in an epic display of consistency with dice rolling that defies the law of averages I promptly roll a 6 and up comes the Phoenix reborn ready to rock again. With it's 6" re-born rule it moves into a solid position to charge away from the Stalkers and begin the run towards the Tomb Kings soft caramel centre.

Turn 2 - High Elves
-------------------

Immediately I felt I'd made an error. I should have either sent the Phoenix towards the Knights or Stalkers to prevent my archers being tied up. I was clearly to hell bent on removing the magical dominance the Undead had. All good, live and learn. The Phoenix charges into the Horse Archers, with the bird tackling the weak shooting elements the Reavers could now march into a better position without taking much fire. Archers reform to attempt to wound the Necrosphinx before it's inevitable charge. Of course I popped the strength potion however once again I think I did this a turn too early. Thinking back as well about the A3 unit, perhaps they should have joined the fire fight onto the
Necrosphinx to ensure maximum wounds were caused.

Magic rolls up 8 vs 5 and I set to work immediately about chipping the paint work on the Necrosphinx. Ring of Fury does a single wound however Soul Quench does nothing. I then have a thought to put some equal pressure on the Undead Legion lines and throw the final 4D6 on a powered up Walk Between Worlds onto the Phoenix Guard, the Undead Legion fail to prevent this moving the block of infantry right into prime position. If the Phoenix Guard could disrupt the Undead Legion lines hopefully it would allow the Flamespyre enough time to counter charge into the rear and assist the PG out (seems my map was a tiny bit off).

Shooting produces only a single wound on the Necrosphinx. Was planning on more than that! Predictably the Flamespyre makes short work of the Horse Archers and reforms to face juicier targets.

Lovely looking bird. :)

Turn 3 - Undead Legion
-------------------

The Necrosphinx spurs into (un)life and charges into the Archers taking two wounds as a reaction from the Elves. The Knights charge into their immediate front and after a bit of analysis I throw the Stalkers in as well for extra attacks and stomps. Magic phase is 11 vs 5 and 2D6 is thrown at light of death to the Phoenix again but the casting fails. Next up protection is attempted onto the Necrosphinx but the Elves decide that's the one to stop which opens the doors for another powered up Smiting which they are powerless to stop. This heals the Skeleton Archers, Horse Archers, Skeleton Warriors and a pip on the Necrosphinx.

The SSc crew let go of a high bucket of skulls that crash down into the nearby Phoenix guard which kills 3 and then naturally they fail a Ld9 test (how embarrassing...).

Shooting drops another 3 Swordmasters.

Combat is decided with the Knights and Stalkers first, if I could break the Archers I need to roll a 10 for the Necroknights to successfully crash into the back of the second unit to ensure the Necrosphinx would live otherwise I feared he would crumble away into nothingness. The Archers only manage a single wound onto the Entombed units and take 11 in return. The unit breaks and I roll 10" for the Knights and 12" for the Stalkers.

The Necrosphinx cops another wound however in retaliation he decapitates the BSB whilst the Knights get to work slaying 8 Archers. Despite the casualties the Archers hold on steadfast. (HE - mistakes from my part - should A3 have fled to prevent the Knights from ever getting into the rear of the A2 unit? Should have popped the potion as mentioned earlier so at least the Noble would have been swinging around 3 x S9 great weapon which would have likely wounded the Necrosphinx.

Whilst the Battle Standard of the elves collapses the Archers stand fast...

Turn 3 - High Elves
-------------------

The Phoenix charges into the Carrion protecting the Casket whilst the Reavers make their way into the Skeleton Archers. Disaster! I can't believe those Phoenix Guard fled!

Of course they fail to rally and shuffle 3". Now a few thoughts about this turn, I could have charged with the Swordmasters I felt I could do way more damage with magic and boost my ward save to boot. Once again I was focused on destroying the Undead magic and would Soul Quench that pesky Liche Priest in the tower however perhaps I'd developed such tunnel vision that the Necroknights/Stalkers would have been the better target to prevent the Phoenix Guard from being destroyed next turn? Lots of questions.

Magic 8 vs 6, and the Ring of Fury is dispelled, Soul Quench then targets the tower and the Undead fail to dispel it leaving only a single Skeleton Archer protecting the Liche Priest! I then cast Tempest (can't remember target to be honest) and this is scrolled. Single dice drain magic goes through boosting my ward save to a 4+ at least. Question - should I have just 6 diced Walk Between Worlds and hoped for the best? Surrounded and nowhere to go the Swordmasters position wasn't looking optimal at all.

I can see my house from here...

In combat the Reavers fail a fear test and each side takes 2 wounds and the Skeleton Archers crumble a little but are still capable. The Flamespyre does little damage and after crumble a single Carrion remains.

Further North the archers do a single wound to the Necrosphinx before being wiped out.

Not looking good...

Turn 4 - Undead Legion
-------------------

The forces of the Undead Legion practically had the battle one, with units isolated and no mutual support the Liche Priest muttered his various incantations and the Animated

Constructs went to work..

The Skeleton Archers declare a charge against the Phoenix Guard and they flee headlong into the Necrosphinx who also charges and trample trample. The Swordmasters grip their hilts as both units of Knights tackle front and rear whilst the Horse Archers and Stalkers crash into the flanks. Loaning more numbers to the fight the Skeleton Warriors charge into the Fiery bird as the last lot of Entombed Knights arrive putting up a protective wall around the SSC.

Magic is a 6 vs 3 phase and rather than trickle 2-3 spells through I decide to follow tradition and 6 dice Incantation of Desiccation. I'd be happy fighting S/T2 Elves and they would be very manageable at that caliber. What I wasn't expecting however was no IF, no dispel and then of course -3 to the Elves S/T. I felt bad at this stage for myself.

Honest I did.

The Reavers fear the Horse Archers again however despite this over come and kill them. The Flamespyre kills the Carrion and Thunderstomps some Skeletons reforming to face them. The Swordmasters however can only muster enough strength to drop 2 horse archers and wound the Necroknights twice. Between the Undead forces they account for 19 nobles of Hoeth and the unit is forced to break from combat but are easily cut down by the Horse Archers.

Ward or not, S/T 1 just isn't a good defense...

Turn 4 - High Elves
-------------------

The Reavers join the fight with the Phoenix and charge the flank of the Skeleton Warriors. After the combat a single Skeleton remains refusing to crumble away...

I decide to call the game a conclusion there.

Result - Undead Legions Victory

Conclusion - Well that was another fun game based around playing against myself. One thing I have learned from these past two battles is that if (when) I do this again I'll take a good 5-10 minutes in between turns to really analyse what's going on and weigh up all of the alternatives. For instance the demise of the Swordmasters, perhaps I should have charged the Horse Archers, killed them turned and faced the incoming enemy which would have meant less attacks from them and a greater chance for the steadfast Swordmasters to stick around. This would have meant however I wouldn't have got the ward save as low because of no Soul Quench going off. I didn't use Wake of Fire at all this game because I figured it would leave 1-3 guys floating about that could cause dramas or worse still get healed so he had to go in and do the job the old fashioned way.

Stalkers were interesting to me this game and it wasn't until after they destroyed the Phoenix I suddenly realised they would be a great supporting unit to tackle the archers with on the flank, they were effected by Smiting so they were dishing out a bit of hurt and they performed well. On the flip side had I perhaps sent the Phoenix into them instead then perhaps that would have in turn got the Knights attention and saved the Swordmasters.

Lots of lessons to take away from this battle however and to me this game was much more fun to play and write up than the Ogres. Maybe it's because I didn't have to worry about an Ironblaster looming around!

More to come later.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: 143. Undead Legions vs High Elves

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks a lot for such a quick addition! I must admit it is a very intriguing exercise you are doing here. While you strongly highlight the fact it is for pure entertainment purpose, I find it very useful indeed. First, because it features new army. Second, because playing against yourself is like playing against the opponent who knows everything about you. So the difference in the game will be made by dice rolls and spotting opportunities as they reveal themselves as long term planning can be easily countered by yourself!

We have talked about TK list before so let's focus on HE!

There is a strong Flame theme to that, reinforced greatly by the red color dominating throughout the army. You have two blocks of combat infantry with associated characters. I wonder, do you immediately assume that they are going to be in the certain units or do you allow yourself to keep the options open and shuffle them here and there depending on the situation?

Archers blocks are mainly for shooting support but they also are big enough to defend themselves against light enemy troops and may add to combat if needed sometimes too.

I have just noticed that Reavers do not have bows. Is that due to lack of points or is it because you consider that investment not worthy anyway?

Flamespyre can be very good support too and may add to the abilities to deal with ranked foes when the shooting itself is not that powerful. I know from first hand experience that focused shooting can do some nice damage (and you have 35 bows, 5 bows of avelorn and reaver bow) but due to S3 in majority of that shooting, it's role is to clear enemy light support rather than dent armor. In this particular game S3 should be more than enough though.

This army benefits from keeping the close formation where both combat elites can support each other and have archers and reavers nearby. Flamespyre is very fast so it can be used with greater flexibility. Against most numerous foe like TK in the configuration you have in this game I think HE would benefit from refused flank and frontal assault to get to combat as soon as possible. In fact, I would even consider adding Archers there as they can help crushing skeletons quicker in hand to hand than by shooting.

Deployment

I didn't expect you to deploy TK in the corner. In my opinion HE need to attack fast as this where they excel, TK have significant shooting to destroy the Archers and other support so that 2 infantry blocks are better isolated when the rest of the army arrives. On the other hand, HE cannot wait, have to advance fast and deal with the army of TK before it goes to full strength.

That is why I think you deployed HE too conservatively. You have less troops so deploying on the edge is a good idea to start because you need to move forward. At the same time Archers may be close enough to lend support to Swordmasters and PG.

You deployed ER1 very well but ER2 and Flamespyre are too far I think. They are fast, they can redeploy but you need to concentrate your force at small frontage to overwhelm MSU army.

T1 - TK move good because they block potential advance of PG where it might spend some time to go through these small units. I would have done that anyway, to engage TK as soon as possible. I think you also need to focus your fire. Tempest was great, should be followed by shooting with everything at the same unit. While small regiments can be annoying, getting rid of the ranks is important as it allows for some crumbling later.

I also would preferred to move with archers and shoot to apply extra pressure. You might be less efficient in shooting but as I said before, I see the benefit of having archers in combat against these small regiments

I believe you reacted to TK movement and decided to deny safe landing zone for Sphinx. I think it was conceding the initiative to TK. You could have moved both combat block and archers forward, presenting coherent battle line. By keeping PG back and moving SM you exposed them.

At the same time Reavers could be left at the rear to threaten Sphinx. If it exposed flank or rear in order to see SM or PG, they could charge it. With charge and rear/flank bonus, Sphinx needed to kill 2-3 to make things equal. So at least they could keep it occupied.
If it faced reavers, they would mover around it and leave it staring at empty space.

I am also wondering if Flamespyre could face South so that it had a potential to charge more. Even Casket at some stage.

T2 - I think the HE army starts falling apart already. You tried to deny landing zone for the Sphinx but left the flank open. So not only PG is not threatened but also is blocked by incoming horse archers. HE shooters are isolated and have to deal with ETBS units. (TK players must love that moment :)).

It was still pretty nice to see that Stalker attack to be defied by the Phoenix Reborn! However, since you could position it facing any direction, what options did you consider?

I am also not sure Ethereal allows you to move through units? I have just checked the rulebook and it mentions only terrain. But maybe I missed something?

T3 - TK have so many units they can control the movement phase without any trouble. Also because HE are divided, TK can pick their fights easily while HE cannot flee as they have enemies in the front and behind them.

As to the question about perfect use of PoS then yes. The best is to drink it when the enemy has to charge as you use it for stand and shoot as well as in combat.

You were in desperate situation (as HE) and I think you should have charged with SM, kill HA and overrun into the building. In the next turn, you are counter charged but send assault force to the tower and kill the bowmen and hierophant. Might not save the unit but would get some points and it always feels good to get enemy general. Pity they would not crumble anyway.

You could cast Walk Between Worlds anyway (to improve ward save). What was the 4th spell? I know you had SoulQuench and Tempest but I can't find the 4th one.

T4 - that spell was the last nail to HE coffin! :) S3 Swordmasters :D

Well, we could discuss details of every turn but I think it all started bad with the deployment (for HE that is). Then you moved into a trap. HE played in the way that favors MSU armies. They approached piece meal and were easily surrounded but faster than ever TK. What you needed to do instead is to keep the formation together. Approach with unified phalanx. I also feel like leaving BSB behind denied his main role, waving the flag which would be extremely helpful to amend for the unlucky Ld tests.

I actually find HE at a disadvantage in this game because TK have so many units to block their advance while they have so few support. Having said that, moving 4 infantry and phoenix together would allow for charges against 4-5 TK units at the same time and apart from Necrosphinx not a single regiment could hold for long if the charges were denied to the flanks of the formation.

It was actually a handbook case where MSU army dismantled more traditional force by true to the ancient rule - divide and conquer! :)

Thanks again for the report! I envy your Phoenix! No matter what it looks fantastic :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Iluvatar

#3 Post by Iluvatar »

So, schizophrenia sill going on, right? :mrgreen:

Once again, a splendid report with great pics of your amazing table, scenery and miniatures. No big deal that you're playing both armies, it's still a top quality report, so thanks for posting!

I'll start with two rules details that bothered me during the game...
First, on your T1 (er, after reading: I mean TK T1... :lol: ), you mention targeting Swordmasters with the SSC to reduce their numbers. Seems you have forgotten to take into account that SSC hits are magical, and the SM have BoTWD. :wink:
Then, on HE T2: you cast Walk Between Worlds on the Phoenix Guard and move them through Horse Archers, but that's not possible. WBW makes your unit Ethereal, which allows them to treat all terrain as open ground - but not enemy units! If the units flies (Phoenix typically), it probably can fly with this move as well, but Phoenix Guards can certainly not do it. VC Hexwraiths can, but that's only thanks to their Soulstriders special rule.

So, all in all, the PG didn't really panic... They just felt they weren't in the good place and tried to rectify it! :lol:

Once again, don't be too harsh on your HE play. The one thing I don't think you should have done is split the PG and SM around the tower: why didn't they both march on the left of it? That would prevent them being separated. Help them with archers on both sides to control flanking, and they have an easier game. Do you think the Necrosphinx could have risked moving as it did on T2 if that meant risking a flank charge by archers? Seems risky...

Otherwise, the phoenix could indeed have made a difference by delaying Stalkers, but that fight wouldn't be won easily: 3 S5 attacks for the Phoenix, 6 S5 for Stalkers... T and saves are different to equalize things, but that probably wouldn't be solved in a turn, and I'm sure you'd be happy to lock the Phoenix as the TK player.

If you look at the map on T2, swordmasters are already surrounded. This is the moment they should have tried to get out of the trap, but how? I see two possible solutions: reforming a line with PG, or entering the tower. Moving forward is not good - they get further isolated. Backwards not much better... The tower is probably the safest since you can cast Soul Quench in any direction.

As for A3 fleeing to prevent an overrun into A2, I'm not sure it would have worked. Flee from NK2 and Stalkers push them by declaring the charge after. Flee from Stalkers and NK1 can probably redirect into A2... Well, that would indeed require a Ld test, so perhaps it would've been best to try. But likely not enough.

Finally, we can see again in this game the difference that TK marching does. Whether you use it (Necrosphinx positioning) or just threaten with it (after your turn 2, HA1 and HA2 have a huge redirecting range), it has a big impact. As a fellow TK, I can just say that feels gooooooood! :)
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#4 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

No it's only Dissociative Identity Disorder. :)

Nice write up as usual Jimmy, and good reply, not much/any to add save for, would you like to have a game with an Undead Legion list with more than Tomb Kings? :3
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Jimmy
Centurion

#5 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks again gents!

I would have loved to do another two battles this weekend but I instead cracked out Space Hulk to get the kids into the hobby and it seems they have really got a firm grasp of killing aliens and they love it so that's always a bonus! Kind of forces me to also look at finishing off painting models for it as well in the future!

@SM - On the HE list I feel the Anointed has to go into the Swordmasters to give them lots of buffs and fear/terror immunity. Stick the AM in them and the ward save generally becomes better as well. I did take the plunge and order another Phoenix however so you can be assured at some stage a triple Flamespyre list will be happening at some stage regardless of how crap it turns out to be! :) At least it's table top presence will not be denied and will simply look sensational.

Reavers do have bows indeed, I just didn't list it. My apologies.

On Ethereal I just clearly buggered that one up it seems. Nothing else to say about it!

@Iluvatar - Yep this whole split personality thing is interesting, at least I can eat more food. :p Sorry that was targeting the Phoenix Guard not the Swordmasters!

@Asurion - I think anyone would be doing themselves a disadvantage by using the regular Tomb King list over the Undead Legion and running a 'pure' TK list. Silly not to take advantage of that in this case. I note the change in your signature so you must feel the same way! :) Where is your motivation level for them at the moment as opposed to the Wood Elves?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#6 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

@Asurion - I think anyone would be doing themselves a disadvantage by using the regular Tomb King list over the Undead Legion and running a 'pure' TK list. Silly not to take advantage of that in this case. I note the change in your signature so you must feel the same way! :) Where is your motivation level for them at the moment as opposed to the Wood Elves?[/quote]
Yes indeed my motivation for Undead has sky rocketed since the release of Nagash. :)
It seems my love for them has been rekindled while I wait for models to arrive.

Wood Elves are running almost parallel in motivation, I just want to test the Vampy Kings out a little more than good ol' Wood Elves.
:3
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon