142. Undead Legion vs Ogre Kingdoms

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

142. Undead Legion vs Ogre Kingdoms

#1 Post by Jimmy »

142. Undead Legions vs. Ogre Kingdoms
============================

It was Friday night and unfortunately I didn't have anyone to game with so I had to play against myself. How did that work you ask? Well it was entertaining, I was
constantly second guessing myself and the hardest part I found was the magic phase. Take this battle for what it is, just an entertaining read of one person throwing his
models at one another. :) I was very much keen to run the Undead Legions to see how the marching effected them, and prior to the new changes I was contemplating an MSU/EBTS list for them, that became more so an attractive option when it was announced they'd be able to march so this would be great testing grounds.

Overview
--------
Date played: Friday, 5 September 2014

Undead Legions
----------
(LHP) Liche High Priest
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Nehekara (Desert Wind, Cursed Blades, Smiting, Protection)
(SA1) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA2) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA3) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA4) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SW) 30 Skeleton Warriors
- Full Command
(HA1) 5 Horse Archers
(HA2) 5 Horse Archers
(HA3) 5 Horse Archers
(NK1) 4 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, Musician
(NK2) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(NK3) 3 Necropolis Knights
- Standard, EBTS
(S) 3 Stalkers
(TS) Tomb Scorpion
(C1) 3 Carrion
(C2) 3 Carrion
(N) Necrosphinx
(SSC) Sceaming Skull Catapult
(CoS) Casket of Souls

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(S1) Slaughtermaster
- Level 4, Lore of Beasts (Wildform, Pelt, Curse, Savage Beasts) Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Earthing Rod, Rock Eye
(B) Bruiser
- Heavy Armour, BSB, LOG, Enchanted Shield, Opal Amulet, Sword of Striking, Other Trickster's Shard
(BB1) Beasts Butcher
- Level 2 (Wildform, Amber Spear), Dispel Scroll, Sword of Swift Slaying
(MB) Maw Butcher
- Additonal Hand Weapon, Forbidden Rod, Spinemarrow
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Full Command
(I1) 7 Ironguts
- Full Command, Standard of Discipline
(G) 10 Gnoblars
- Trappers
(MC) 4 Mournfang Cavalry
- Ironfists, Heavy Armour, Musician, Standard, Dragonhide Banner
(I2) Ironblaster
(L1) 5 Leadbelchers
- Musician
(L2) 5 Leadbelchers
- Musician
(S2) Sabretusk
(S3) Sabretusk
(S4) Sabretusk

I certainly see it as a challenge and on initial inspection I believe the Undead Legion at a disadvantage for a number of reasons, firstly it’s a new list to me so I have a steep learning curve, secondly there is a rather large risk element to it with EBTS however in saying that I do believe I have the tools to deal with the Ogre list I’ve constructed but it will require luck, timing, and a solid deployment. The Undead Legion shooting can eliminate the Sabretusks however on the flipside dealing with magic missiles and Leadbelchers will ensure the Ogres are dishing out suitable punishment as well. Ironblaster will undoubtedly target the Casket first turn or catapult/necrosphinx
meaning naturally the catapult/casket will be targeting the Ironblaster as well. In this case I might have my son set up the table so I’m not bias on terrain to ensure I have
something hide my casket/IB behind etc.

In combat the Ogres win the day without buffs which is a certainty however if they can be feed units to re-direct and allow time for Knights to get into optimal positioning it
will only take a bad combat round for the Ogres or a good combat round for the Undead and that could seal the game.

Normally with lack of movement I tend to hug a corner however with the option now to march I feel a central deployment is nearly paramount to a EBTS army that way when they units pop up they can hopefully be attacking the enemy from both sides if you understand as opposed to attacking all in the direction of one table edge. Allows for more opportunities and once again with marching available the use of horse archers/carrion can be engaged with so much more flexibility which again is an exciting prospect.

Keys for an Ogre victory:

- Destroy Casket
- Destroy Carrion/Horse Archers
- Maintain ‘Second’ Line to deal with EBTS units
- Keep Ironblaster close to General
- Use augments to minimise shooting damage to units

Undead Legion victory

- Destroy Ironblaster
- Destroy Sabretusks
- Dictate Combats with Carrion/Fast Cavalry
- Utilise shooting/smiting to ensure units don’t reach combat 100%

All initial thoughts of course. :)

Deployment
----------
A quiet pretty corner of the world somewhere...

Deployment:

Undead Legion - The plan was fairly simple here. With more drops I needed to ensure that the casket and catapult could be as far away from the Ironblaster as possible to ensure they'd at least be able to do something before they detonated. The tower would be used to try and aid this effort. If the Stalkers could arrive and eliminate the Ironblaster then it would be a huge step to allowing the Necrosphinx to go unchecked and cause some bother throughout the Ogre lines. Obviously this was far away the only way to defeat the Ogres but upon initial inspection I wanted that beautiful Necrosphinx to kill some stuff! On magic I was disappointed with what was rolled up, I really needed

Desiccation and Vengenace to aid this army. Ouch.

The Necrosphinx surveys the oncoming Ogres....

Ogre Kingdoms - From the Ogre point of view the key targets would be the casket/SSC/Necrosphinx however the way deployment ended up going the Ironblaster remained close to the General and BSB to ensure it wasn't easy pray for a 6 diced light of death hence the reason it ended up tucked behind two units. Would this decision pay off however? The Ogres would need to stay buffed to shrug off archery damage and then when the time comes to hit the constructs I'd be relying on great weapons and a Savage Beast or two to win the combats. Leadbelchers would see to it that I wouldn't be diverted around the whole board getting picked off.

Even after more drops the Undead being the desert lords steal the initiative and grab first turn!

Turn 1 - Undead Legions
-------------------

Not much movement went on the first turn for the Undead Legions. The Necrosphinx anticipates the Mournfang coming up so a trap would have to be set for them to ensure I would take full advantage of them trotting up the flank unsupported. The only target the Ironblaster would have next turn was the first unit of Necropolis Knights. Having marching available was awesome, the Tomb Scorpion scuttled up behind the tower and stayed within 12" of the general meaning next turn provided it wasn't march blocked would be able to get into an annoying position of some description. The magic phase is a 9 vs 5 and the first jaw cleaning moment comes from a 3D6 cast of Incantion of Protection to prolong
the un-lives of the Knights. Pop goes the miscast which turns out to be magical feedback doing no wounds and I'm left with 3D6. These remaining dice go into a pitiful Light of Death with the Ogres easily snuff out. Honestly it wasn't the opening magic frame I was hoping for. To make matters worse the Screaming Skull catapult takes a pot shot at the Ironblaster but scatters way off target. I'm going to document it right now, I didn't hit a single thing all game with this unit so it will no longer be mentioned! :(

Undead Archery however puts on a better display wounding a Sabretusk, killing another which panics the Gnoblars and 2 wounds are put onto the Leadbelchers.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Full steam ahead! Not one to embrace subtlety and stealth the Ogres power forward with the MFC being a little more cautious. The Gnoblars rally. The heavens open with a 12 vs 6 magic phase and 4D6 is spent on launching a powered up Amber Spear into the Necropolis Knights however the casting fails. Curse on 3D6 thrown at the Knights which is dispelled and finally Wildform for 4D6 is put onto the Ironguts which the Undead Legion fail to dispel with 3D6.

The Leadbelchers really prove they're the renowned with their
guns and blast out an impressive 29 shots. However the momentum doesn't last as only 4 shots hit and finally 1 wounds! The idea here was to remove the archers in front of
the MFC forcing a play from the UL. With clear lanes through to the casket and SSC they'd be hard pressed not to react. Drats!

Image Impressive - but no staying power.

The opposite Leadbelchers produce a much milder 12 shots of which 5 hit and 3 go on to be fatal crushing Horse Archers. The Ironblaster takes aim at the Necropolis Knights
however the cannon balls fails to do any damage rolling a 1 to wound. :(

Turn 2 - Undead Legions
-------------------

Only a single unit of Necropolis Knights heeds the call from their deep tombs and arrive to cause some trouble for the Ironblaster, however it wasn't a great deployment as
they scattered fairly wide from where I originally placed them wanting to get away from both units of Leadbelcher fire. However I guess in this instance I was outside of
cannon firing range but not so much grape shot. The Tomb Scorpion wanders into a position to help out the Knights next turn whilst the near depleted unit of Horse Archers
march in front of the Ogres to pull them out of the line. On the other side of the battlefield the Horse archers to a similar dance in front of the Mournfang whilst still

being able to shoot at the Sabretusk. The Necrosphinx would be ready to pounce....

That sneaky sneaky Tomb Scorpion was at it again, wandering between units was a glorious thing that many Undead units just aren't use to. :)

Magic is a 9 vs 4 affair and I decide I must get rid of the Ironblaster. I did think about the MFC however had I killed one and they didn't panic the casualty could have been
removed peeling away from the Horse Archers then allowing them to go on a rampage and possibly getting away from the Necrosphinx or worse yet charging it and killing it,
besides if I could kill the Ironblaster it would allow a few more options for the snakes.

Well after all that awesome tactical talk I 6 dice the spell and draw a scroll for
the my troubles from the Ogres. Take that logical reasoning. Protection goes up onto the same Necropolis Knights with 3D6 (managed 18 in total) although this time it feels
so surreal because I don't miscast. Amazing. Even the Ogres fail to dispel with 4D6. Shooting sticks 2 wounds onto the Leadbelchers in an attempt to reduce the incoming
lead hail onto the Necropolis knights and the Sabretusk accompanying the MFC is turned into a pin cushion.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres charge the relative annoyance units in front of the MFC and the Ogres whilst the Leadbelchers garrison the tower for a much better vantage point and the Ironguts
would move to engage the softer elements of the Undead Legion. Magic time and it's a 5 vs 4 affair and in hind sight (wonderful tool) I should have popped the Forbidden Rod.

I attempt two Wildforms of only one goes through taking the Ogres to heightened levels of strength and toughness. At this stage the tunnel vision had kicked in and I was
solely focused on the Ogres getting tackled by the Necropolis Knights, surely the Knights wouldn't charge into the Ironguts who were swinging at them with S6 great weapons, no

Desiccation to back them up? Right?

The shooting elements of the Ogres all point towards the newly arrived Necropolis Knights pouring everything into them. Eventually only the Standard Bearer remains on 2
wounds waving his stick to let his comrades know he's safe and sound.

"Be gone with you foul beasts" - said no Ogre ever.

Combat goes exactly how you would anticipate and the Ogre elements reform to face the enemy units.

Turn 3 - Undead Legions
-------------------

Charge time. I could have charged the Ironblaster with a single Knight but without magic support it would be sealing it's fate, instead with the back up of a friendly neighbourhood Tomb Scorpion they both went into the Leadbelchers.

The Necrosphinx swoops from it's high perch (+1 CR thank you) into the MFC. The Ironguts had been poorly placed on....my behalf. The more I thought about it the more I thought I'd be able to mince them with sheer volume of attacks. I'd throw the entire sink at them including dish water and just see what would happen. The Skeleton Archers never ones to back away from a fight levelled their sharpened pointy sticks and charged into the flank supported by the Knights, Carrion, and even the Skeleton Warriors for some ranks to break Steadfast. My worst fear would be if the non construct elements took the brunt of
the damage causing my Knights to crumble, it's happened before but the Ogres had carelessly over extended.

That marching is a thing of beauty allowing the Horse Archers to further delay the Ogres and zooming the Carrion over head. I like it.

More Knights arrive to put pressure onto the Ironblaster however they scatter allowing the Gnoblars to take advantage. Stalkers no show, in fact a word of warning don't expect them to make any appearences this game at all. :( The warm sands are like a comfy blanket in the winter time and they just weren't coming out to play.

I roll up a 6 vs 4 magic phase and put it all on black recklessly throwing 6 dice at a powered up Smiting. The jackpot comes up as the Ogres fail to dispel and I don't miscast - bonus! This heals a few things but gives me an extra 24+ attacks to kick the snot out of the Ironguts.

The Ironblaster takes a wound from a stray arrow as to the Leadbelchers in the control tower. I would have loved to score a hit onto the tower with the SSC here, D6 hits, at

S9, re-rolling to wound because of flaming but alas the tale continues as fore told with nothing hitting nothing at all.

The Necrosphinx with 6 attacks now looked a ferocious sight, the MFC fail their fear check and even though I can't brag of any HKB goodness I do however dish out 3 wounds
dropping one of the beasts for a single wound in return. The mounted Ogres break and outrun the Necrosphinx 11 vs 6.

Team Construct tackle the Leadbelchers with the Scorpion and Knight dish out 4 wounds with the knight taking a single wound in retaliation, the Belchers break and are caught
by the Undead.

In the big combat of the century the Slaughtermaster takes out 2 Carrion, the Archers take a single wound, Warriors take 3 and the Knights take 2 wounds however the
retaliation isn't pretty and the Undead force crumple 4 Ironguts into the desert floor in a delectable paste of blood and a higher percentage of body fat. With the Skeleton
Warriors bringing much needed ranks to the fight and the massive amount of 1's & 2's rolled by the Ogres to attack they break and are run down. Not even the sight of an
oversized battle standard wavering in the nearby tower promising another meal is enough to stop the Ironguts from running and the lone Carrion goes about on a bone picking spree.

No more Ironguts...

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Oh dear. So it turns out Ironguts aren't as resilient as I once imagined. Damn you corruptable knowledge base! The Ogres crash into the Horse Archers. The MFC aren't
satisfied and continue running 6" taking a single wound in the murky depths of something. Magic is shut down with Spinemarrow on the Ogres being dispelled and Wildform drawing the scroll, there'd be none of that. Shooting puts 4 wounds onto the Knights from Leadbelcher and Ironblaster fire.

Another predictable combat with the Ogres crushing Horse Archers underfoot.

Time to face the Undead music.

Turn 4 - Undead Legions
-------------------

The Necrosphinx goes to clean up the MFC but the 4" charge won't help but that doesn't matter as they flee from the battlefield anyway. The Knights rush into the Ogres and
the Knights and Carrion charge the Ironblaster which flees out of danger. 8 vs 4 is the magic numbers and 2D6 Smiting goes through onto the Knights healing a single wound,
3D6 goes through onto Protection netting a miscast as well draining me of all spells except Smiting. Light of Death is easily dispelled. The ASF Butcher drops the recently resurrected Necropolis Knight before a whopping 13 wounds is enough to tip the scales in favour of the Knights who break the unit and easily run it down.

Gonesky...

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The outlook was grim however I wasn't going to sit in a tower and tempt a stray SSC shot into destroying the unit. The Ironblaster rallies and although the map fails to highlight this the Gnoblars marched up to block the Knights. Leadbelchers dish out some hurty on the Skeleton Warriors dropping 8 of them.

Time to leave the tower.

Turn 5 - Undead Legions
-------------------

The Knights get rid of the Gnoblars. The Skeleton Warriors happily march away carrying the general with them out of harms way. Magic naturally netts a 12 vs 6 magic phase
for my level 1 high liche priest (emphasis 'high') and I get to work with a 6D6 Light of Death onto that pesky Ironblaster getting a solid total of 11. Yep. That's dispelled fairly easily however my 6D6 Smiting will allow me to pin cushion the Leadbelchers whilst healing a bit if only I could roll high enough but alas not meant to be. The SSC does something totally different and misfires taking a wound. 3 arrows find their mark on the Leadbelchers dropping an Ogre.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Carrion takes one for the team and eats Ogre blubber to the face dying via impact hits. The Ironblaster lines up the casket of souls however the shot can't deal with the
sands of the desert and hits the front of the casket with the force of a tinned tomato.

The Necrosphinx charges into the Ironblaster. 10 vs 6 answers the call to magic and although a 5D6 Light of Death puts up another epically pathetic display of my dice rolling
skills and is dispelled this allows a bubble Smiting to cast healing some stuff. Shooting sticks 9 wounds to the Leadbelchers whilst the Necrosphinx does a single wound to the Ironblaster however it's enough to turn it to splinters as it turns tail and runs for the sandy hills.

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

In a roar of defiance the remaining Leadbelcher shoots a single Skeleton archer down in frustration. Beauty.

Result - Undead Legions Victory

Conclusion:

Firslty remember this battle was against myself purely for entertainment purposes, and whilst many will ask if this has been fabricated to protect the real names and true identity of those poor Ogres crushed underfoot I assure you it was not. However it certainly illustrated my tunnel vision for various aspects of the game which isn't appealing and needs to be remedied.

An alternative play came to mind shortly after the battle and that was with the Ironblaster. Rather take a shot at the Casket charge into the Archers break them and get to safety, problem being that safety still wouldn't have been far enough away from the prying senses of the Necrosphinx. Secondly, why shoot at the Casket? Well simply put it's far easier to kill then the Necrosphinx and it explodes in all pretty colours.

Ironguts - where to begin. Should have, could have, would have. They should have remained a firm part of the battle line with the Ogres rather than running out of formation presenting a flank.

MSU UL is a very cool concept and the ability to march certainly was a huge help in this game, the sheer flexibility it granted the list was nice to have in the back pocket.

With that my friends I bid you farewell and look forward to any comments, lots of critism and posts of awe of my great looking table and models. :D

Enjoy.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: 142. Undead Legion vs Ogre Kingdoms

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

You are officially the first player who reported a game with the new Undead Legion rules on Ulthuan! That alone should make people flocking to your topic in no time! I wonder why they are not yet here? Maybe they didn't get UL for what it really is? :)

I was also very intrigued by the army list for TK you were about to play with. The fact that you played against yourself only added to the anticipation. You see, it is not that easy to anticipate your own moves. Sure, you know what plan you have for both armies but in warhammer the balance is dynamic and all your ideas will depend on the particular outcome. You need to adapt quickly. And the challenge is that while in a game against another player you have time to assess the situation in his turn, here you were constantly busy!

I believe that EBTS army has a potential although it is a very risky one. I like the fact that you have many small units and a few bigger threats together. It has its risks but I obviously believe in more units = more opportunities. You have huge amount of deployment drops! More than me :D It means that you can outdeploy the enemy and mitigate the fact you cannot flee. Combine it with marching ability and TK magic and now you may see much more mobile force than many other forces!

At the same time I am intrigued by combat capabilities of that force. Magic is going to help here too. More attacks, 5+ killing blow, ward saves, it all matters here!

If I were to pick sides I would definitely go for TK although I must admit that the fact both armies are so different from each other made it even more interesting.

Looking at the deployment I assumed leftmost cat was to prevent scouting there. I was a little worried by the middle sabertusk too because OK faced considerable shooting and it was quite exposed. At the same time, Horse Archers didn't scout and didn't vanguard either. Did you think there is no need or was it too risky? Another question is, did you consider using carrions as shields? They are skirmishers and T4 so they would suffer much less from shooting and you can still heal them later.

I disagree that the spells rolls were bad, I think they are very helpful too. More attacks, better KB, ward saves and additional movement + healing effects = very good magic. Also, casket always helps! Sure, T3 ogres are much better foe but they are still not that well armored and TK have plenty of shooting!

It is amazing to see these two armies on beautiful terrain. I think the pictures are sized too much, they should be bigger! Unless you took them with low resolution and this is the size they are in original. I have first hand experience in playing on that magnificent table, fantastic terrain and saw TK personally. Beautiful work! Ogres look fantastic as well, especially with their Scottish theme. It is an inspiration in itself!

In turn 1 gnoblars panicked due to nearby sabertusk demise. Were they out of range from general and/or bsb?

Turn 2 - great moves with Horse Archers. Not only you are able to shoot down another cat but also divert MF! Well done!

Turn 3 - that massive charge of many units, backed by magic in terms of additional attacks as well as extra movement + healing bonus must have felt fantastic! Breaking Ironguts on the charge was painful and I am sure you are not going to make that mistake again!

I also like how you waited patiently with Carrions and how you used Skeleton Archers who, as internet tells us, are chaff and good only to be sacrificed for the greater good :)

It looks bad for OK from this moment, they are surrounded, divided and very hard pressed due to number superiority!

I am really impressed by NK who charged some ogres and chopped them down all by themselves too.

While it was pure entertainment game I think it was worthy doing so. It is still better insight than theory hammer. It looks to me that allowing TK to march alone is enough to make them way more dangerous. Are there any other rules that came to play and helped a lot? What about ability to heal constructs more efficiently?

I think OK suffered from spread formation. It was a good call to try and get Casket with MF but in a hindsight I wonder if they had a chance to make it. There were so many units in between, carrions can fly so they cannot outpace them. Maybe it was better to stick together and go for a refused flank instead?

In any case, thanks a lot for that report. I really hope Ulthuan members will find out time to comment on this game. You are the most consistent battle reporter here, Jimmy, and you keep the record of the most numerous games reported. I believe it should be prized more often and I hope Ulthuan members know how great it is to have you here!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Teledor

#3 Post by Teledor »

Thanks for the report Jimmy!

First time I've seen an UL list all battle reported. Definitely instructive. What are you thinking in terms of power level for either VCs or TKs?

I've been seeing some draft lists by some of the power players in the FLGS that look down right nasty. Things like Mortis Engine and Hierotitan for some crazy casting bonuses, and other generally nasty kind of lists.

What are you're thoughts overall on the UL? Game breaking? A proper upgrade? Intriguing?
Iluvatar

#4 Post by Iluvatar »

I finally find the time for some comments here. I've had some of them spinning in my head for a few days, but I'll just ignore that and do as if they were a first read reaction! :wink:

Now, THAT is some serious Warhammer addiction! The guy has no one to play against? No problem, he plays against himself! Do you make different voices as well when you declare charges and roll dice? Talk about schizophrenia!

OK, that's done. Sorry about it Jimmy!

Seriously, you're awesome Jimmy. I've said it before, and I'm saying it again: I admire you. Work, kids, charity - and you still have the time for some amazing Warhammer painting, scenery and games. I'm so, so jealous and admiring! :D

Anyway, it's clearly not a bad idea to test the new Undead Legion against yourself: you get to actually see what happens gamewise with the new rules - and you win anyway! =D>

The TK list is interesting indeed: lots of units, 4 of them that you can entomb, and with marching you can indeed choose the attacking or defending game. Horse archers in particular get a special mention with their sudden 16' movement! Look at HA2 on turn 2 for instance: redirecting the bulls was so simple with marching!
Plus your army plenty of light shooting to eliminate pesky sabretusks, for instance. Sometimes just an annoyance, but sometimes really useful as well! They are key to the flexibility you like, I believe.

All of this poses new problems for an army that needs to attack like Ogres. The way you deal with Mournfangs shows this: though they're still faster than your units, they can't get close to your lines without some exposure to the Necrosphinx, and I guess that's due to the number of deployment drops. There's a case for arguing that the Ironblaster should have been on the same side of the tower as them, to prevent the Necrosphinx from controlling MF in that way... but then, NK1 could have played the same role with a buff or two.

Other Ogre units have a similar issue. True, you made a mistake as the Ogre general, by moving the Ironguts too fast and alone. The thing is - if you don't do that, that means that TK have blocked two of your units with a single one of Horse Archers. Given the number of small units the TK have, they can play that game for quite some time, at least until the entombed units arrive and put another threat on the Ogre lies. I can totally see an opponent lose patience because of that and make a mistake such as yours - because, if they don't do it, they might have their units useless (worst feeling in warhammer) or surrounded anyway...

So, all in all, don't discard the game because the Ogre player was less talented (or somehow biased)! :wink:

Oh, and yes, I am definitely in awe of your table and models. If there remains a doubt about it, you just have to glance at my own pics to see why! #-o
Jimmy
Centurion

#5 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the comments all.

@SM - Still lots of exploration to be done in terms of the EBTS/MSU route but with the marching changes it's certainly become a very viable build.

Thank you for the kind words about the table/terrain/models. Well received! :) Shame our last encounter however wasn't even a challenge for you, hopefully one of these days I can certainly test your skills but shall wait and see.

The sheer flexibility of having marching units available is incredible and like I've always told you in the past I've got so many ideas to try with Tomb King armies however that was prior to the UL release so now not only do I still have those ideas lurking about but second to that there is merit in exploring old lists again.

Just the marching alone helped out this game, the healing not so much only because I would have liked to boost the single remaining snake but he was out of range for the most part, luckily it survived however netting no points.

@Teledor - Pleasure for the report. I think the UL as a whole will be pretty formidable if a canny builder utilises all of the perks available, it will certainly be a mish mash of units and such I can see some pretty powerful (certainly one dimensional) combos and some others that will be a bit more complex but I don't think they'll win any friends. VC on their own can produce some pretty powerful lists/games on their own so adding a casket and a shooting phase to this becomes a nightmare (no pun). I'm certainly not looking forward to it when facing off against another UL player however I'll have to have some tricks of my own up my sleeve by then.

@Iluvatar - Thank you sir! :) These comments are certainly worth waiting in excess of a week for! :D Yes for the charges, different voices and of course a different head piece each time to ensure full character is achieved! :) Marching is incredible, it's an exciting time to be a TK player embracing the UL changes. Just a shame lots of people will go the other way and see it as an opportunity to plug up the weaknesses the Tomb Kings have and all of a sudden run Black Knights on a desert base and call it themed! :p
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog