The unconventional army blog.

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Seb

The unconventional army blog.

#1 Post by Seb »

Greeting ulthuan.

Seb here, long time lurker here on the forums... Have finally decided to join the community.
This blog will be mainly focused around unconventional 3000 point lists and games from tournaments I attend. With some very slow updates on painting progress.
We generally play uncomped here in Western Australia.

Links to battle reports below

Still constructing battle reports etc. will keep this updates whenever I can.
Cheers
Last edited by Seb on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The unconventional army blog.

#2 Post by Jimmy »

Good luck.

What points do you mainly play? How often do you game? What's your current list looking like? What country?

:D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Seb

#3 Post by Seb »

Hey Jimmy cheers for the reply.
I generally play 3000 points uncomped
No standard list. I usually rock up to a game with between 3-6 lists and roll randomly for which one i use.

Try to get one game a week in but I probably won't be able to get a report done every week.

Has a 1500 point tournament on this Sunday... Will post lists and everything after work today.

Also I'm from Australia, updated original post to show
Seb

3000 vs OnG

#4 Post by Seb »

Bit of an interesting game last night with a mate of mine.

Lists as follows, will post the report Saturday when I get around to making it.

High Elves
Archmage: Golden Crown of Atrazar; Fencer's Blades; Dispel Scroll; Ironcurse Icon; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Metal. 295
Archmage: Talisman of Preservation; Book of Hoeth; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of High Magic. 320

Noble: Armour of Caledor; great weapon; Battle Standard. 149
Mage: Moranion's Wayshard; Lore of Beasts. 135

34 Spearmen: Sentinel; musician; standard bearer. 336
30 Spearmen: Sentinel; musician; standard bearer. 300
58 Spearmen: Sentinel; musician; standard bearer (Banner of Eternal Flame). 562

2,997 points

Orcs & Goblins
Orc Warboss: Talisman of Preservation; Wyvern; great weapon.
Savage Orc Great Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head; Level 4 Wizard.
Goblin Warboss: Wizarding Hat.

Night Goblin Big Boss: great weapon; Battle Standard.
Night Goblin Big Boss: great weapon.

34 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: Savage Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer; additional hand weapons. 409
20 Night Goblins: short bows.
1 Fanatic
1 Fanatic
55 Night Goblins: Night Goblin Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer.
1 Fanatic
1 Fanatic

Goblin Spear Chukka
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
1 Goblin Wolf Chariot
15 Trolls
15 Trolls

Doom Diver Catapult
Doom Diver Catapult

2,998 points

Spells I got;
High - WBW, Apotheosis, Fiery Convocation, Arcane Unforging
Metal - Blades, Robe, Hounds, Final
Beasts - Transformation

He got;
Big Waaghhh - Hand, Fists, Eadbutt, Ere we go
Heavens (wizard hat) - Iceshard, Thunderbolt
sandstorm

#5 Post by sandstorm »

Do you really own 2790 spearmen? See you on Sunday mate.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

You win the wacky army list award! Looking forward to seeing the report.
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#7 Post by Galharen »

sandstorm wrote:Do you really own 2790 spearmen? See you on Sunday mate.
212 spearmen 8)

Nevertheless, I can't wait to see that report!!
Seb

#8 Post by Seb »

No I don't own 212 spearmen yet...
Have around 80odd and 35 seaguard to stand in.
I will eventually have that many... Always expanding my army.

This was a test run on universal battles because gameing on a weeknight is not practical otherwise.
Seb

3000pts HE v OnG

#9 Post by Seb »

3000pts HE v OnG

Ok so here goes. This is my first attempt at a battle report so i apologise if it is a bit rough... what with Universal Battles and all. I plan on setting up Battle Chronicler soon as it looks much cleaner and able to show movements etc better and in a single picture.

Also please note that this was all from memory from Wednesday night so there may be small errors in unit placement for things that did not impact the game... as you will notice halway through the report a bolt thrower magically teleports. as well as shooting casualties i may have been 1 or 2 models off.

In the future the plan is to make quick notes during the game to keep better track and to take as many photos as possible to keep the reports as accurate as possible.

There will be several pictures for each turn to get a better feel of before and after combat movements. something which will be rectified in BC.

Deployment
Deployment was fairly easy for me, either choose a flank or spread out. with one unit ambushing. as he had a horde army i chose to spread out.
High Mage and BsB are in with the large unit and Metal Mage in with the small unit next to them.
Orcs put the Shaman in with the savages as to be expected and all 3 goblin characters in with the large night goblin unit. never did find out which on was which haha.

Turn 1
High Elves.
I won the roll of for first turn, Pushed forward with most of my army trying to get a better position. failed a swift reform with one unit and decided to keep them back.
Magic saw Apotheosis on my High Mage, Fiery convocation obliterating some savage orcs and failing to cast glittering robes.

so far looking good.

Turn 1
OnG
A fairly straightforward push from the Orcs... i think they might have been underestimating the sheer brutality that is a high elf spearman at this time.
This is where the biggest mistake of the game was made, moving the warboss directly behind the savages
Trolls on the right charged the unit with my metal mage who opted to flee, failed redirect and failed charge moving them slighty out of position
Magic saw Hand and Iceshard dispelled. eadbutt went of against my high mage but failed to wound. even with a 3+ ward this was scary. as it could change my plan drastically.
leaving 2 dice to dispel fiery convocation... not enough. i did feel bad at this point for not reminding my opponent of the casting value. something we both forgot. it claimed a bunch more
shooting did minimal damage killing a few elves.

Turn 2
High Elves
This is where things got a little bit messy with the pictures and as i couldn't save each turn individually i will have to make do.
First picture shows after movement. second after combat and overrun/pursue. I forgot to add the ambushing unit til the second shot.
rolled a 3 for my ambushers =D>
Charged the leftmost unit into the trolls, the other unit failing to reach. my large unit into the savage orcs. the far right unit failed to charge one of the chariots.
rallied my metal mages unit
2 fanatics released into the charge path of my main unit were destroyed when i moved over them and did minimal damage
Magic saw walk between worlds move up the metal mage unit and failing to bubble glittering robes.
Combat and my spears made quick work of the savage orcs... overrunning into the warboss.
in reverse the trolls smashed half my unit and chased them down.

Turn 2
OnG
Left trolls charged my spears. right trolls charged at my metal unit who fled again. they chose to redirect into the unit on the right. 2 chariots also charged the right unit.
goblins reformed to face the ambushing elves.
magic phase was shut down completely.
shooting saw minimal damage again and i'm pretty sure a doom diver misfired and couldn't shoot this turn or next.
combat saw me beat the warboss who fled of the board. i reformed to face the warmachines.
the trolls on the left pummeled my unit but chose to reform for a tastier looking target instead of chasing me down.
combat on the right was brutal. I managed to put 2 wounds on a chariot and kill a troll. nothing compared to what the enemy did. spears fled with only a model or two left.
all 3 units failed to restrain or chose to pursue of the board.

Turn 3
High Elves
The Magical Bolt Thrower. i realised at this point i messed up the deployment of the bolt thrower and the trolls slightly. the trolls where ever so slightly to the left and the bolt thrower inbetween them and the orcs.
Main unit charged the bolt thrower, ambushers charged the goblins.
both my units rallied. turned to face the incoming freight train... i mean trolls.
Magic i managed to turn my mage into a MOUNTAIN CHIMERA!
combat i smashed the bolt thrower. reformed to face towards either unit of trolls for lategame. in doing so released the fanatics from the archers. both doing minimal damage.
the night goblins managed to kill a single elf. taking heavy casualties in return. but rolling snake eyes to hold me up.

Turn 3
OnG
The downfall
the trolls on the left failed stupidity stumbling fowards. the units moving back on the board from the right. i am not 100% sure where the bottom chariot was from this point on... all i know is it didnt participate in the game.
Magic was shut down completely. Transformation continues
Shooting was again not that effective. doom divers may be great against high armour/toughness but against rnf they struggle to make back points.
combat saw all bar 1 goblin and the characters die. they ran and i chased 11 or 12".

Turn 4
High Elves
Moved my units up to take on the right flank. and the bottom spears out of the way of the trolls.
Magic saw WbW used to move my main unit into the face of the trolls. Transformation continues

Turn 4
OnG
Both troll units failed stupidity and stumbled forwards. the ones on the right failing to reach my unit and blocking the top chariot from charging. unfortunate from my opponent.
magic saw him fail to dispel Transformation again.
Shooting again minimal damage.

Turn 5
High Elves
Charged my main unit into the trolls and the ambushers into the flank.
swift reformed the metal unit and walked towards the large combat.
Magic was completely in my favour with no enemy wizards left to dispel. WbW on the metal unit moving them up and turning to face the oncoming chariot.
apotheosis on my bsb for the fear factor. glittering robe on my main unit.
Combat saw the trolls reduced to 8 models. they chose to vomit... with the most bs rolls of the game i passed 7 5+ wards
trolls flee and the ambushers chase them down... off the board.

Turn 5
OnG

My opponent Concedes
It was rather late by this point and he had nothing left in his army to threaten me.
also i finished with my dispel scroll intact :)

In the end it was a very fun game.

OnG - managed to take 636 points
HE - with a huge 2263

solid victory for me.

So one thing i have noticed is that battle reports take a fair time investment and a bit work. I'm sure it gets easier as you do more, but alot more respect to members who upload on a regular basis.
Not sure when i will get the reports done for the tournament tomorrow but will make better notes to keep it more accurate and easier to read.

Cheers
Seb

Re: Arcane Destruction 6

#10 Post by Seb »

So the tournament yesterday went really well. I think everyone in attendance had a great time.
Want to say thanks to Ratt for organising an awesome event.

Overall I did ok, made a couple of mistakes but only two that really bothered me... Should have known.

Was a 4 game 1500 tournament with each army getting a bonus lvl 3 "arcane disciple"
Link to the players pack
http://www.elarti.com/AD6%20PP.pdf

I will be getting the reports done hopefully over the next few days but for now my matchups and army list.

Round 1 - Chaos Dwarfs.

Round 2 - Dwarfs.

Round 3 - High Elves.

Round 4 - Warriors of Chaos

My army list

Prince: Giant Blade; The Other Trickster's Shard; Dawnstone; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding); Dragon armour; shield.

Noble: Charmed Shield; Golden Crown of Atrazar; Khaine's Ring of Fury; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding); lance; Dragon armour; Battle Standard.
Noble: Star Lance; Potion of Foolhardiness; Dragonhelm; Elven Steed (Ithilmar barding); great weapon; Dragon armour; shield.

8 Silver Helms: High Helm; musician; standard bearer; shields.
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Harbinger.
5 Ellyrian Reavers

8 Dragon Princes of Caledor: Drakemaster; musician; standard bearer (Banner of Eternal Flame).

Frostheart Phoenix

Disciple Of Heaven
sandstorm

#11 Post by sandstorm »

Hi mate, I was your game 3 opponent so here is my exact list:

Alarielle
Lothern Sea Helm BSB, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength
5 Helms
3x5 Reavers, bows
40 White Lions, BotWD
Heavens Disciple

I take it one of your 2 big mistakes was charging your Frostie into my Lions not knowing Frosties have magical attacks? I think the key to this battle was my 3 Reaver units with bows vs your 2 Reaver units without bows. This allowed me to win the chaff war and therefore have control of the movement phase. Thanks for the game.
Seb

#12 Post by Seb »

Hey man. Yeh forgetting the phoenix had magical attacks was one.
Funnily enough my second mistake was also in that game. Not deploying my characters individually to take on your chaff.

Knew from the get go it was going to be a hard fight so either wait till you made a mistake or avoid.

Was a good game cheers.