First Battle Report, 2000 pts HE vs DW

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

aquietfrog

First Battle Report, 2000 pts HE vs DW

#1 Post by aquietfrog »

Hello. This is my first attempt at using battle chronicler and making a battle report. I am making this to learn how to use the software, as well as to ask for comments and critique with my gameplay. My gaming group is a bunch of newbies who only started playing last March. We are still shy of playing with terrain as we think it would make the game take much longer. We play on average around four hours per game. Though, this game we only played for 2 hours, which was something like a record breaker for our group.

My battle chronicler diagrams are quite inaccurate, as I made these from memory and I don't have any photos for reference. Sorry about that.

Our group made army lists in advance and drew lots to see who fought who. However, the arranged games got a bit delayed as the other players wanted to finish painting their minis first. There were a couple of us who were itching to have a game anyway so we played with the prepared lists.

This was my list:

High Elves 2000 pts

Loremaster, Book of Hoeth, 4++
Noble, BSB, Shield of the Merwyrm, Sword of Might, Golden Crown
Mage, Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll, High Magic Lvl 2

15 Archers, Musician
5 Reavers, spears only
10 Silver Helms, shields, FCG

10 Dragon Princes, FCG, Banner of Eternal Flame
10 SwordMasters, FCG, BOTWD
1 Lion Chariot
1 Skycutter

1 Eagle Claw RBT

My opponent usually plays Orcs & Goblins, but this time he used his wife's dwarf list:

Dwarf 2000 pts
Dwarf lord on shieldbearers, gw, shield, 3x rune of warding, 2x rune of iron, rune of fortitude 319 (He used the model for the Dwarf King on a Throne).
Grim burlokson 165
Runesmith gw, 2x rune of spellbreaking 111
Thane bsb, gw, master rune of valaya, rune of stoicism 196
30 dwarf warriors gw 300
26 quarrellers gw 364
1 cannon rune of forging 145
1 cannon rune of forging, rune of burning 150
1 gyrocopter vanguard 100
10 irondrakes 150

----------

For Magic, my Mage rolled up Hand of Glory and Fiery Convocation.

My opponent won the deployment roll off and made me deploy first.

Deployment

I deployed my Loremaster, BSB and Mage with my Swordmasters, to take advantage of the BOTWD, and hopefully to make my awfully small swordmasters unit more survivable. Chariots to guard the flanks, and possibly combo charge. SH for a a flank charge or rush a cannon. DP in front of the Irondrakes to soak up flaming attacks. Reavers vanguard to go cannon hunting.

My opponent deployed his quarrellers 14 wide, i think, to get all of them firing. Dunno why the lord is by itself.

I win the roll off for first turn.

High Elves Turn 1

I advanced my forces to get into CC with his gunline as soon as possible. I casted spirit leech on grim burlokson and he lets it through. He rolls a 4, I roll a 1. everything else got dispelled. Shooting, I got a single wound on the dwarf lord, which was ridiculously tough. I may or may not have caused some wounds on the iron drakes and quarrellers.

Dwarfs Turn 1

The dwarf lord turned towards the reavers to try save his cannons.

His quarrellers and grim burlokson shot at the Silver Helms, and inflicted only 2 wounds, but enough to cause them to panic and flee. I attributed this to first time jitters, this was my SH's first battle. Center Cannon killed off a few more SH, I think. Gyrocopter swooped in for a flank steam gun volley, which put a wound on the skycutter and killed some swordmasters. DP shrugged off the Irondrakes' shots. West Cannon Grapeshot failed to kill any reavers, luckily.

High Elves Turn 2

Reavers charge the Western Cannon and kill all the crew. They reform to face the next cannon.

Dragon Princes charged the Dwarf Lord. They fail to do any wounds and they are now stuck in combat.

Lion Chariot charged the quarrelers but gets shot to pieces by the stand and shoot. Skycutter charges them also and make it. Swordmasters fail the charge and hobble forward slowly.

Silver Helms, rally and face the gyrocopter.

I think I got off iceshard, but forgot to apply the to hit penalty.

Shooting, I think I put a few wounds on the Irondrakes but I'm not certain.

The skycutter does 2 wounds with impact hits, and pretty much nothing else. The quarrellers and Grim who made way into the fight unbelievably failed to do any wounds! I won by static res, they failed their break test and the skycutter caught them easily.

Dwarfs Turn 2

Irondrakes charged the Dragon Princes. Fight is still a slow grind. Dragon Princes do nothing with their pitiful str 3 attacks. Combat is still pretty much stuck, with more or less draw static res or easy break tests.

Dwarf Warriors charged the Swordmasters. I direct most attacks to the unit and killed a lot of dwarfs. Lost a few Swordmasters in return and a wound on the loremaster. I won combat, but the dwarfs held on with stubborn.

The gyro flew behind the silverhelms blast them with the steam gun, but doesn't do anything serious.

The center cannon blew away the skycutter.

High Elves Turn 3

Reavers charged the center cannon. They won by a small margin, and the cannon crew failed their break test. I forgot to reform the reavers afterwards.

Silverhelms moved up in case the reavers don't kill the cannon, or to position itself for a flank charge on the warriors.

Archers and RBT managed to kill the gyro.

I got off earthblood but failed Wyssan's, with nothing else to cast, I got hand of glory on my swordmasters, but with only +2 to WS, only the mage got any real benefit.

I killed his BSB to get rid of stubborn, but I still fail to break them.

Dragon Princes still stuck in combat

Dwarfs Turn 3

Dwarf Lord and Irondrakes finally managed to break the Dragon Princes in combat. I rolled an 8 to flee, and his Irondrakes also rolled an 8, so the dragon princes are gone. We may have made a mistake where my dragon princes turned away from the Dwarf Lord rather than the Irondrakes.

I think my Loremaster was killed this turn but it may have been in the next turn. The point is, combat with the swordmasters and dwarf warriors was still a slow grind without anyone breaking.

High Elves Turn 4

Reavers and Silverhelms position themselves to help against the warriors.

Archers and RBT might have shot off an irondrake or two.

I think the Mage and Standard bearer died this turn, along with a few more dwarfs. but still no break happens. I was probably left with the Champion and BSB with one wound at this point.

Dwarfs Turn 4

Dwarf Lord repositions itself

Irondrakes killed off the reavers with shooting.

Dwarf warriors finally wipeout the SM and BSB.

High Elves Turn 5

Silver helms charged and wiped out the remaining dwarf warriors.

Archers and RBT bring down Irondrakes to two remaining models.

At the end of my turn. My opponent did some mental math and concedes the fight, thinking that I could easily shoot off the remaining iron drakes, and his dwarf lord won't be able to catch anything.

Later on, when I went home to check our scores, I realized my opponent forgot to add bonus VPs for killing my general and seizing two standards. So at best, I would be down by 19 points for a draw.

---------

We are trying to play the game following the rules as best as we could understand them. Feel free to point out any mistakes on our part. Hopefully, I will be able to take notes on my next game so I could make a better report in the future.

After battle thoughts:

1. Dragon Princes could have charged the Iron breakers instead, but that may have left the Dwarf Lord free to engage the reavers.
2. Trickle casting with the loremaster is more frustrating than I thought. I only managed to get off I think one out of every five spells I casted in the game.
3. I think I read somewhere about seized standards, and regaining VPs if you defeat the unit that got your standard.
Nicene

Re: First Battle Report, 2000 pts HE vs DW

#2 Post by Nicene »

Thanks for the report!

I'm not familiar with the Dwarf book; what defense exactly did his Lord have?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
aquietfrog

Re: First Battle Report, 2000 pts HE vs DW

#3 Post by aquietfrog »

Hi Nicene!

The Dwarf lord loaded up with runes and the shieldbearers mount giving him a profile something like: 6 wounds, Toughness 7, 1+ Armor Save vs Shooting, 2+ in combat, 4++ ward save. Still counts as infantry and can benefit from Look out sir. Its model was the King on a Throne that's on a 40 x 60mm base, the usual one I think is on a 40 x 20 or 40 x 40 base, I'm not sure.