Cealyne Swiftblade... Oh-Con list options

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cealyne

Cealyne Swiftblade... Oh-Con list options

#1 Post by Cealyne »

So after being on this forum for a while now, I have decided to start a blog. More so now that I finally downloaded BC to help make my reports something worth reading. So I'll start with a little about my experience with high elves. I've been playing the High Elves for 8 years now. Started with the 6th ed book and been into them since.
Since the current book came out I have tried several different army types to find a style that fits me the best. Within the last year my friends and I have decided to try our luck with the tournament scene here in the North east USA. Its a relatively uncomped environment, so I feel that has put a strain on my decision making. Though in the last year since our new book came out I have been trying MSU as of the last 6 months or so and had a great time playing it. Though I will say that when I played this style I found it hard to get big wins. My record of wins lose ratio is prob around 1-2 ratio. Winning about half my games. I found that when I played games against a few friends who run internet tourney lists, I would fare rather bad against them. Fighting 2 stanks plus 6 demis with a light council was just brutal. Most net list games I found to be very difficult and at best got 10-10 draws. So after the last 6 months I have decided to retire my MSU list for a more MMU/ combined arms list.

The new list as follows:

Loremaster Cealyne Swiftblade: armor of destiny, dragon bane gem, dispel scroll
Noble Trahj Swiftblade: great eagle, heavy armor, lion cloak, lance, charmed shield, talisman if preservation
Noble Reagar Hawkstalon: great eagle, dragon armor, sword of might, enchanted shield, dawnstone
Noble Alesi Windrunner: great eagle, dragon armor, shield, halberd, star lance, dragon helm, golden crown
5 reavers: spears
13 archers: musician, standard
30 spear elves: FC, standard if discipline
15 swordmasters: FC, banner of the world dragon
24 phoenix guard: FC, razor standard
Bolt thrower
Bolt thrower
5 sisters of Avelorn
5 sisters of Avelorn

As u can see this list is miles away from an MSU list. So why the changes?
Well as I said, playing many net lists with a few of my gaming buddies, I realized that MSU in the states is difficult. Doable to win but very difficult. Most games if I made a slight mistake in movement or deploying then it was an uphill struggle, and found at best I could hold onto a 10-10 draw. Not saying that I don't enjoy a challenge but sometimes it was more of a slaughter then a challenge. Perhaps if the meta changes in the near future I may return to my MSU. Only time will tell.
Well, that's my new list. Any comments and or questions are welcome.
Last edited by Cealyne on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Cealyne

Re: The House of Cealyne Swiftblade

#2 Post by Cealyne »

A little list breakdown:

Loremaster Cealyne Swiftblade: armor of destiny, dragon bane gem, dispel scroll

He's an aquirred taste I would say. I do miss the +4 to cast and dispell, but I do say that the versatility of how many spells this guy can dish out great. Dispite what many might think, I have had a many people use a scroll on all but fireball. His gear is meh, I like the 4+ ward armor. Don't feel safe without the scroll. Lots of nukes don't go IF so a scroll is very handy. Quick breakdown of spell usefulness-
Fireball: chaff killer. Can be 1 diced if at end of phase to play it safe. Will hardly ever be dispelled unless it's the lvl 3 version.
Searing doom: 1+ or 2+ armor killer. Can wreak havoc on heavy armor list. If boosted is cast, will usually pull a scroll.
Wildform: great buff, makes everything more killy! Seen this pull a scroll countless times.
Earth blood: goo buff for my swords or spears depending on where he is.
Iceshard: great for helping shut down a helblaster, magma cannon or nerding WE or De shooting. Excels at shutting down enemy combat. Have had it pull a scroll plenty.
Miasma: excellent at nerfing combat, shooting and movement!
Shems: great against chaff. Kills demons and undead dead! Boosted can also wreck monsters and hurt 1+ and 2+ cav. Seen both boosted and non boosted pull scroll.
Spirit leech: probably the best offensive spell he has. Always see it pull a scroll or most if not all dispell dice!

Noble Trahj Swiftblade: great eagle, heavy armor, lion cloak, lance, charmed shield, talisman of preservation
Noble Reagar Hawkstalon: great eagle, dragon armor, sword of might, enchanted shield, dawnstone
Noble Alesi Windrunner: great eagle, dragon armor, shield, halberd, star lance, dragon helm, golden crown
The eagle nobles are a bit of an experiment for me. I know other armies do the "flying circus" characters better, but I believe they help tremendously in the board control aspect. If all three charge a unit they can hold them up or beat the unit. All is based on different situations. All 3 are geared pretty well for defense. They can also dish out some pain. I'll have to play it by ear but I have high hopes for them.

13 archers: musician, standard
30 spear elves: FC, standard if discipline
Well, reavers are cheap and there for the normal reason. The archers are to help the reavers clear chaff. The spears are one of my favorite units only for the imagry of shining ranks of spears behind a wall of shields, just rocks to me. I feel they have a place, add ranks and bodies. They also add a very useful tool against hordes. Which I feel hordes are a very hard unit to face with many lists. Been trying them out for a bit now. I have not really been disappointed with the performance of my spears. Though I dread painting these guys.

15 swordmasters: FC, banner of the world dragon
Why the swords and why so small? First, I love the swordmaster models and always have. Second, the size is to not take a huge hit on swedish comp. Now why them in general? They are great! WS 6 works so well with miasma it's crazy. The banner is an obvious reason why I took it. It's possible I could drop them for a flame phoenix and an eagle if they under perform. Time will tell. The phoenix guard are again more than obvious.

Bolt thrower
Bolt thrower
5 sisters of Avelorn
5 sisters of Avelorn
Here is what I am unsure of. Not the sisters either! The bolters, I just don't know about them. They fail me so often it hurts. I'm on the ropes with them, and if they continue to under perform I will more than likely drop them for 10 more sisters or 2 tiranoc chariots.

I will try to get some bat reps done when I can. ( finally have BC downloaded )
I will also try to get some if my units and background in here.
Comments as always welcome. Thank you for your time!
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Gildor777

Re: The House of Cealyne Swiftblade... Army analysis

#3 Post by Gildor777 »

Cealyne,

I really like the look of this. My quick thoughts:
-BoH on the Loremaster instead of scroll? I think BoH is what makes the loremaster viable, but personal taste here I guess.
-Any thought of making one of the Eagle Nobles the BSB? Probably the first with the Tal of Preservation?
-I would think about dropping the PG to 21 and fitting in a few extra Swordmasters. Even with BotWD and any protection from the Loremaster, this unit is more likely to take damage on the way in and thus need the extra bodies.

Good luck on the army blog. Hope to see some battles posted soon.
oreaper

#4 Post by oreaper »

Well its an interesting list i will say that, the 3 ami-gles are a viable option for certian but i feel that you missed the opportunity to capatilize on thier benefit. They are decent combat performers, but they shine b/c they are in your face and versitile because they are in fact a hero. Anything from war machine hunting to character killing to reliable flank bonus they shine. Also this particular setup does make the spearmen viable with the LD banner (i see what you did there ld 10 spirit leach) unless you plan on putting him in the swordie bunker in which case the spears are rubbish. With this list you really want some fast support else your nobles will be A.shot off before they are usefull or B.unsupported Avoid this by throwing something else up in thier face, and no reavers are not combat support. I suggest either some chariots, cav, or big birds. Dont be surpirsed if your loremaster get mostly shut down by a level 4, expect only 1 spell with clever dice. Also dont ever let anyone convince you to drop swordies i love them and bring them almost every game, at your count though they are in between uses though not big enough to be a un shootable threat, but not small enough for true MSU. My advise is try the list out and post the rep, your playstyle will define the direction your army will migrate. Good luck!!
Cealyne

#5 Post by Cealyne »

Gildor777 wrote:Cealyne,

I really like the look of this. My quick thoughts:
-BoH on the Loremaster instead of scroll? I think BoH is what makes the loremaster viable, but personal taste here I guess.
-Any thought of making one of the Eagle Nobles the BSB? Probably the first with the Tal of Preservation?
-I would think about dropping the PG to 21 and fitting in a few extra Swordmasters. Even with BotWD and any protection from the Loremaster, this unit is more likely to take damage on the way in and thus need the extra bodies.

Good luck on the army blog. Hope to see some battles posted soon.
Thank you for the reply! It's been a while a no1 responded so I ignored the blog. Lol, the bsb is indeed the noble with talisman if pres. I've also made a few small changes. I've played the above list 20 or so times an found out a few pains and a few bright shining spots. I will try to add some info on battles and try to get some pictures up of some of my few painted stuff. Thank u again.
Cealyne

#6 Post by Cealyne »

oreaper wrote:Well its an interesting list i will say that, the 3 ami-gles are a viable option for certian but i feel that you missed the opportunity to capatilize on thier benefit. They are decent combat performers, but they shine b/c they are in your face and versitile because they are in fact a hero. Anything from war machine hunting to character killing to reliable flank bonus they shine. Also this particular setup does make the spearmen viable with the LD banner (i see what you did there ld 10 spirit leach) unless you plan on putting him in the swordie bunker in which case the spears are rubbish. With this list you really want some fast support else your nobles will be A.shot off before they are usefull or B.unsupported Avoid this by throwing something else up in thier face, and no reavers are not combat support. I suggest either some chariots, cav, or big birds. Dont be surpirsed if your loremaster get mostly shut down by a level 4, expect only 1 spell with clever dice. Also dont ever let anyone convince you to drop swordies i love them and bring them almost every game, at your count though they are in between uses though not big enough to be a un shootable threat, but not small enough for true MSU. My advise is try the list out and post the rep, your playstyle will define the direction your army will migrate. Good luck!!
Thank u as well for the response! And I have to say I couldn't agree more. I've played 20 or so games and seen the problems and have hopefully worked it out. Stay tuned!
Cealyne

#7 Post by Cealyne »

So yeah! Here I go again.
Well as I said previously I had about 20 or so games with the above list with the 3 eagle nobles. And I have found out I need some faster elements in my army to keep up with the nobles. Also I feel it is time to shelf the loremaster until I play MSU again. He's great don't get me wrong but I missed a more focused magic lore and the +4 to cast and dispell. So back to a lvl 4 I go.
Here's a small sample of what has happened with the list...
( sorry no photos or BC diagrams, been busy playing loads of games and working, again sorry)
These are also the games I remember, mostly cause they hurt!
Game #1 vs. skaven
Storm banner lasted til turn 4! A real bummer! Nobles did next to nothing until very late in the game. It was a grind fest and he had plenty to grind with. I lost 7-13.
Spears just didn't hold up for crap, first plague then dreaded 13th on them and I played careful with my elites. Swordmasters did however chew through 30 storm vermin and 10 plague censor bearers. And I prob got 2-3 spells cast! Bummer!

Games #4 or 5 ( one of them ) vs. new wood elves
It was actually a slaughter for him! I made my swords a 10 wide screen to help shield my spears against his shooting. Eagle nobles except my bsb died to shooting, but in the end my phoenix guard and spears made it to his archers and eternal guard and destroyed them. His wild riders didn't impress me, died to bow shots and bolters. Again, next to no spells cast. I did win 19-1 though!

Game #10ish vs. chaos dwarfs
Was a great game, he couldnt kill my nobles due to fireborn. I shredded his machines with them and my infantry murdered his so few infantry troops. The destroyer how ever ate all my reavers and then spears. Was all he had left. 17-3 win for me.

Games #18-20 vs. empire and dwarfs
Yeah, nobles died turns 1-2 each game and I lost spears to just about everything you can think of. It was bad, all bad. 20-0 loses!

So in the end I realized a few things. I need a lvl 4 here in the states to compete in most if not all tourneys, and even local play.
Most of all I need something or things to support the nobles. Skycutters, frost turkey or firebird. Something if not all of the above. So what lore and what units to support the nobles? Hmmm ideas, ideas and dilemmas.
Cealyne

Re: The House of Cealyne Swiftblade... Some new thoughts!

#8 Post by Cealyne »

Well, I think it might be time to update. Not major but some new musings and a new list idea.

The list is building towards OH-Con in April and possibly cincycon the month before.
Over the last few months I have tried plenty of uncomped lists out. From mounted lists, the previous eagle list, a shooty shadow list, back towards my MSU and even tried a star dragon list a few times. All where fun and useful but all also had weaknesses. Which happens after all, hardly is there a perfect list. I believe I have however narrowed down my choice to one of the below lists and will continue with only using a them for the foreseeable future.

List number 1: combined arms/ MMU

Lords:
Loremaster-dispell scroll, 4+ ward, charmed shield ( general )
Archmage- lvl 4 high magic, channeling staff, 5+ ward
Heros:
Noble bsb- dragon armor, shield of the merwrym, golden crown, ring of fury
Core:
6 reavers- bows and spears
12 archers- musician and standard
34 spear elves- FC, banner of eternal flame
Special:
21 phoenix guard- FC, razor standard
21 swordmasters- FC, banner of world dragon
Rare:
3 bolters
5 sisters
Great eagle

Or

List number 2: MSU

Lords:
Loremaster- fencers blades, 5+ ward, scepter of stability, pot of strength
Heros:
Noble bsb- dragon armor, shield of the merwrym, golden crown, ring of fury
Core:
5 reavers- spears
5 reavers- spears and bows
5 helms- shields, champ
13 archers- musician and standard
13 archers- musician and standard
Special:
10 swordmasters- champ and musician
10 swordmasters- champ and musician
10 phoenix guard- musician and standard, lichbone pendant
14 white lions- FC, banner of world dragon
5 dragon princes- musician
5 dragon princes- musician and standard, banner of eternal flame
5 shadow warriors
Rare:
Bolt thrower
7 sisters of Avelorn

There you have my 2 lists. Will post up my reasons why tomorrow hopefully.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: The House of Cealyne Swiftblade... Some new lists!

#9 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Cealyne,

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the new army lists! Will do my best to add some more comments after that (time is more of a luxury these days! )

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#10 Post by SpellArcher »

I find the first list interesting Cealyne. A few questions about the characters though. Why Charmed Shield on the Loremaster? Have you considered adding Ironcurse Icon and maybe Fencer's Blades to the Archmage? What is the BSB's main role apart from giving re-rolls?
Cealyne

#11 Post by Cealyne »

Thank you for the replies!

@ Swordmaster
Yeah, I'm in the process of writing up a summary for each list. Try to post it soonish. Will also get pictures up when I get my comp fixed. Not many but some!

@Spellarcher
My reasoning for charmed shield is a miscast or cannon snipe protection. Only there if I have him in the spears or phoenix guard for miscast protection. On the archmage, I suppose I could drop charmed shield for ironcurse icon, though not sure where I would find points for fencers blades. As far as the bsb goes, he's there for re rolls and a subtle reliable magic missle. Also helps with stacking the ward save, though I have played using potion of strength as a 1 round wrecker. I've tried the rever bow multiple times an I like it but, meh, is ussually how I'm left feeling after. I'm open to suggestions on how to equip him on foot. Perhaps merwrym shield and sword of anti heros? Or sword of might?

Cheers gents!
Cealyne

#12 Post by Cealyne »

A little break down of list #1

Loremaster Cealyne Swiftblade: dispel scroll, 4+ ward, charmed shield

He's an aquirred taste I would say. Dispite what many might think, I have had a many people use a scroll on all but fireball. His gear is meh, I like the 4+, as he is my general I want him to be a little safer. The charmed shield is for miscast protection, I know I have the banner if world dragon too, but this helps. Don't feel safe without the scroll. Lots of nukes don't go IF so a scroll is very handy. Quick breakdown of spell usefulness-
Fireball: chaff killer. Can be 1 diced if at end of phase to play it safe. Will hardly ever be dispelled unless it's the lvl 3 version.
Searing doom: 1+ or 2+ armor killer. Can wreak havoc on heavy armor list. If boosted is cast, will usually pull a scroll.
Wildform: great buff, makes everything more killy! Seen this pull a scroll countless times.
Earth blood: goo buff for my swords or spears depending on where he is.
Iceshard: great for helping shut down a helblaster, magma cannon or nerding WE or De shooting. Excels at shutting down enemy combat. Have had it pull a scroll plenty.
Miasma: excellent at nerfing combat, shooting and movement!
Shems: great against chaff. Kills demons and undead dead! Boosted can also wreck monsters and hurt 1+ and 2+ cav. Seen both boosted and non boosted pull scroll.
Spirit leech: probably the best offensive spell he has. Always see it pull a scroll or most if not all dispell dice!
Lvl 4 high: channeling staff, 5+ ward

I know many might think that the lvl 4 + loremaster is a big investment in magic and there won't be enough dice... Which might happen, but the channeling can help as well as spirit leech attribute. Though, what I am acctually banking on is the low casting value of high magic. I could go another way and find points for book of hoeth, but I'll test it out to see how well it goes without it.

My core:
Reavers: why 6? The extra helps in combat and the points even out my total.
Archers: standard is for blood and glory. They are here to kill chaff, plain and easy.
Spears: again, why? I like spears! They help break steadfast and will add flame attacks I the army in combat. They also add numbers against many horde style armies.

My special:
Phoenix guard: not too much to have to explain. You all know why taking them an what thy are capable of. Will most likely go 7x3 or 5x4.
Swords: again many might ask why? I basically enjoy them. Always have! They shred infantry and their parry save stacks well with high magic a benefit from hand of glory really well. Not set on formation.

My rare:
Sisters: add some nice flaming attacks at range and can act as redirectors in a pinch.
Eagle: basic redirector and warmachine hunter. Simple
Bolters: yeah, they are there to shred stuff.

There u have the MMU list. I will be testing it out against many people and armies coming up, will try to post some progress. Let me know what you think.
Cheers!
Cealyne

#13 Post by Cealyne »

So, I have been MIA for a while. Family stuff and real life have been rough and busy. However, I am back and have been able in recent weeks to get a few games in. I am currently prepping for an event in April. The event is called Oh-Con. It's a 2400 warhammer fantasy uncomped GT. As soon as I get the link to work I will post it up.
I am planning on running one of the three lists... ( dead line for turn in is March 1st )

List #1

Lords:
Annointed: blade of leaping gold, enchanted shield, dragon bane gem, potion of strength
Archmage: lvl 4 high magic, talisman of preservation, dispell scroll

Heros:
Noble BsB: armor of destiny, halberd, lion cloak

Core:
21 archers: musician, standard
12 archers: musician, standard
5 silverhelms: shields, champ
5 reavers: bows & spears, musician

Special:
24 swordmasters: FC, banner of eternal flame

Rare:
3 bolt throwers
Great eagle

List #2

Lords:

Annointed: giant blade, enchanted shield, dragon bane gem
Archmage: lvl 4 high magic, talisman of preservation, dispell scroll

Heros:

Noble BsB: armor of destiny, halberd, lion cloak

Core:

21 archers: musician, standard
12 archers: musician, standard
5 silverhelms: shields, champ
5 reavers: spears & bows, musician

Special:

24 swordmasters: FC, banner of the world dragon

Rare:

3 bolt throwers

List #3

Lords:

Same as last list

Heros:

Same as last list

Core:

Same as last list

Special:

14 swordmasters: FC, banner if eternal flame

Rare:

3 bolt throwers
5 sisters of Avelorn
5 sisters of Avelorn
Great eagle

As you can see not too much different between the lists. I have played each list once so far and plan on trying each list out one more time each.
The big question for me is which weapon do I use on my annointed?
Any comments welcome!