HE MSU at ANUWTF - Summary

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

HE MSU at ANUWTF - Summary

#1 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

I have just returned from a local tournament hosted by ANU Wargaming Society. It was a small event that attracted attention of 18 players. I really hope that number will swell in future years, as they guys did fantastic job and it was a great pleasure to attend again! It was 2 day tournament with 5 games at 2400 points total. It had scenarios, some of them modified. I will explain them when I write the report from the particular battle where they were used. There was also a nice addition to the players pack that allowed to take allies. One could either enter with monolithic army or get main force at 1800 with allied contingent at 600. Both forces had to be composed according to the rules as if they were separate armies. Only alliances from trusted allies were allowed, as per rulebook.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to play against allied force and I didn't field one either. But I know some armies were composed according to the rules for allies.

After some deliberation I decided to take only painted models, although I was considering some changes to the core unit set up. I decided against unpainted models because I really enjoy playing against painted armies and I wanted to make sure my opponent had such a force assembled on the other side of the table. I perfectly understand when somebody does not field painted force. It is a process and many armies are simply new ones. New players in particular were encouraged to come along so there was no painting score in this event. However, one could be still selected for a best painted army award and I admit I wanted to see if I can get a shot at this one too! Last but not least, it is also well known that painted models simply fight better :D

Outcasts - Army List

Larry the Loremaster, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Endurance – 315
Bob the Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Shield of the Merwyrm, Golden Crown of Atrazar – 124
Noble, Barded Elven Steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Potion of Foolhardiness – 136
Noble, Barded Elven Steed, Heavy Armour, Lance, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Potion of Strength – 145

15 Archers, Full Command – 180
15 Sea Guard, Full Command – 210
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician, Bows, Spears – 105
5 Ellyrian Reavers, Musician, Bows, Spears - 105

5 Dragon Princes, Banner of Eternal Flame – 165
5 Dragon Princes – 145
10 Swordmasters, Bladelord – 140
10 Swordmasters, Bladelord – 140
10 White Lions, Gleaming Pennant – 145
10 White Lions, Standard of Discipline – 155

Bolt Thrower – 70
Great Eagle – 50
5 Sisters of Avelorn – 70

Army Total: 2400

As you can see the main change was in the Characters section. Larry and Bob got some new equipment and two (at the moment nameless nobles) were also added to the army. I got rid of the musicians in many units and I also made some compromises here and there in order to accommodate new additions. It is still WiP army and I am sure I will try to tweak it again, after learning a few things during that tournament. But that is a discussion for the Army List topic! :)

In the next weeks I will try to write the reports from the games I played and hopefully I will be able to provide regular updates. In the meantime a teaser with pictures:

Game 1 - Dave - Dwarves - Battle Line

Game 2 - Adam - Beastmen - Dawn Attack

Game 3 - Spencer - Tzeentch Warriors - Meeting Engagement

Game 4 - John - Monsters of Chaos - Blood and Glory

Game 5 - Charles - Warriors of Chaos - Battle for the Pass

Stay tuned!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:02 am, edited 11 times in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Introduction

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

As it seemed it could have been my last tournament in Canberra (at least for time being) I wanted to use the opportunity and grudge one of the players I met plenty of times but have never had an opportunity to play against. It was of course my fault and I am sorry I didn't organize myself better to play earlier or in fact, regularly.

Game 1 - Dave - Dwarves - Battle Line

Dave is a very well known person in the Australian community of warhammer players as he is one of the most active tournament organizers. Thanks to him (and his helpers!) the biggest and longest event in Oz, CanCon, took place in January. Fortunately, there are also some other TO's in the local scene, so he can have fun with rolling dice and pushing mandollies forward too!

Not only he kindly agreed to accept my grudge but he also brought a brand new Dwarven army! It was my first encounter with Dwarves after they got their book revisited. Dave had a lot of alternative models as well as new ones in his army and I can't wait to see all these great miniatures and fantastic conversions painted!

Below is his list with all the details (Many thanks to Dave himself who also provided all the lists of my opponents so I have all the items right for a change :)).

Dwarves - Army List

Dwarf Thane, General, Great weapon, Master Rune of Gromil , 2 X Rune of Iron - 146
BSB, Shield, Master Rune of Grungni - 153
Runesmith, Shield, 2x Rune of Spellbreaking , Rune of Stone - 118

28 Longbeards, Shields, Full Command, Ancestor Rune - 442
10 Thunderers, Shields, Musician - 140
10 Quarellers, Shields, Musician - 140
28 Hammers, Shields, Musician, Standard - 440
28 Slayers , Musician, Standard - 356
Gyrocopter - 80
Gyrocopter - 80
Grudgethrower, Rune of accuracy, Rune of forging , Rune of penetrating - 170
Grudgethrower, Rune of accuracy, Rune of forging , Rune of burning - 135

Army Total: 2400

Let's have a look at this army with some more detailed description:

Thane General - with the defensive tool kit he sported 1+ armour, was T6 and had 3 wounds. Quite economic yet efficient version of a general that does not die easily but still provides Ld10 bubble. His Great Weapon can bite too, in particular on the charge. I could also be sure that at least he will hate my own general so these 3 attacks may hit more often.

BSB - with 3+ armour save and 4++ ward from the banner he was quite well protected too. In addition he helped nearby troops by waving his flag high and proud but also giving regiments in 6" radius 5++ against shooting and missiles. As if the toothpicks I had at my disposal were to impress Dwarven warriors much any way :)

Runesmith - Another well protected character with 2+ armour save and 5++ parry if charged (fortunately for me only for one turn). 2 runes of spellbreaking ensured that once a game that powerful spell could be dispelled and what is more it can be destroyed on a 4+ roll.

All in all quite very reasonable and good price for value set of very useful characters.

Longbeards - anvil unit of the army. Dave chose shields for 4+/5++ saves if charged or 4+/6++ if attacking but thanks to the new rules they have S5 then. Against fragile elves they can deal a proper damage for sure and deflect many blows. The trick to defeat them would be to surround them from as many sides as possible but not from the front where they can use their shield wall. Even then their Ancestor Rune means they can take a single break test on d6 so they might hold their ground and let the other regiments to counter.

Shooters - Both thunderers and quarrellers provided some needed support and small arms fire. With Shields they are again well protected against my longbows and could withstand the charge for a while too!

Hammerers - well, who else to be a better hammer for the Longbeard anvil than Hammerers? With 2 attacks each and S6 or even 7 on the charge these guys can hit really hard. Being Stubborn means they are also extremely good at war of attrition. Such units can only be destroyed if engaged on both flanks and even then the grind match might prove to be very bloody. If I were to isolate them I would also need to make sure they are separated for as long as it takes to kill them all. Probably both units of Swordmasters at full strength might do the job.

Slayers - the unit that can hold against anything but due to lack of armour very vulnerable to shooting and I wanted to use that to my advantage and make these arrows count for something. Of course I was sure they would stay close to BSB to benefit from 5++ ward but it is still better to shoot at them than other two blocks. And I needed to shoot at them also because I might not have enough time to kill them all. Besides, they can hit back hard this time and with their additional Deathblow attack. Since these are resolved with any bonuses for weapons the slayers have I could be in trouble against their S5 attacks. Yet another unit that can hit back no matter what.

Gyrocopters - a priority to be destroyed, possibly with shooting attacks in the first place. They can mess up my movement phase greatly and their steam cannons can inflict a lot of damage on my small units. I wanted to advance in 2 waves to make sure I don't provide safe landing zones for them or to force Dave to risk their loss if he wanted to land behind my lines.

Grudgethrowers - tooled up war machines. Both are super accurate. Both are well protected from unlucky misfires. One has flaming attacks (which does not bother my troops that much) but the other hits with even higher S that can further demolish my small units. It was obvious I had to start the game with Archers and Sea Guard deployed in 2 ranks!

The plan still depended on the terrain and deployment. I expected that Dave would deploy defensively and try to use his fire power to discourage my troops from advancing. I was also taking into account a possibility where he would advance along one of the edges. In both cases I had to move around his flank or flanks fast but at the same time not recklessly and try to pick up gyrocopters and shooters first before engaging any of his big blocks.

Deployment

War of the Beard - yet another episode!

Deployment of the armies after shy vanguard moves

When I saw the terrain I expected Dave to deploy in the corner with the hill. The option of deploying in the opposite half and use the building was also a good idea. I was a little surprised he chose the middle but it didn't make my life any easier and suggested he might actually move forward too. I had to be careful!

Surprisingly enough I won the roll off and Outcasts were to move to their first battle!

Outcasts - Turn 1

Outflanking!

Moving forward - but don't rush, just yet!

Elves move forward in a controlled fashion. Three big blocks of Dwarven infantry seemed like a castle wall or a rock. But Elves knew that even the most solid rock may be moved by water and started to send little streams of units on the flanks first.

Shooting and magic was not particularly spectacular but it was enough to get rid of one of the nasty gyrocopters and confuse Thunderers with miasma so that their shooting abilities were severely limited.

Dwarves - Turn 1

No need to move when the enemy comes to you!

Gyrobomber attack!

The Rock remained steady. The grudge throwers threw their boulders but even with runes of accuracy they sailed long and wide. Gryobomber made a bomb attack at the cavalry but the bomb also scattered. Fortunately, it hit nearby Lions who suffered some minor casualties.

Outcasts - Turn 2

Dwarven flanks are under attack!

First charges!

Dragon Princes on the East levelled their lances and attacked quarrels. They greeted them with crossbow bolts and quickly locked the shields. Even in small numbers such formation ensured the safety and only few Dwarves were killed by Elves. They also held easily as they remainded steadfast.

Lone Gyrocopter was a little too close to rampaging Lions the Chracians didn't miss the opportunity and charged Dwarven pilot. He had to hold or flee the battle entirely and decided to fight but was not a match to expert axe wielding Elves.

On the Western flank Reavers advanced carefully, Dragon Princes moved through the woods at moderate speed and the rest of the units focused on the Thunderers. They suffered quite a large amount of casualties but as expected, stubbornly refused to move anywhere.

Dwarves - Turn 2

The flanks are still holding

Hammerers change their formation

Dwarven castle reforms slightly to extend their formation and block the clear path towards the artillery. Quarrellers keep fighting and hold the cavalry for one more turn. Unfortunately, grudge thrower engineers can't hit a barn door and more grumbling is heard from among the ranks of the Longbeards.

Outcasts - Turn 3

More charges on the flanks!

Light cavalry charged stubborn Quarrellers and this time Dwarves broke. But Dragon Princes refused to restrain as they wanted to pursue and catch the survivors to make up for their poor performance where they failed to brake the small enemy unit on their own.

On the West second unit of Dragon Princes charged remaining Thunderers, destroyed them and overrun towards the grudge thrower. Nearby Slayers where the target of Elven shooting and somehow the runic standard carried by the Longbeards was not protecting them at all!

Dwarves - Turn 3

Dwarves tighten their ranks

And their artillery finally hits somebody!

Dwarves kept solid formation, only Slayers reformed to be ready to counter the cavalry that seemed to be ready to charge the grudge thrower.

Dwarven engineers, ashamed due to their performance so far, measured the distance accurately and this time a boulder landed right on the top of the elven noble and reduced him and his mount to a nice bloody pulp!

Outcasts - Turn 4

Outflanking continues

Elven cavalry in the back yard!

It was too crowded for the heavy cavalry to get the momentum for the charge and they simply reformed. Other units closed the distance and on the Eastern flank reavers managed to sneaked into the back yard, directly putting grudge thrower in danger!

Larry the Loremaster was trying to engage Dwarven thanes in some mindwars. Previously he did so with the Dwarven BSB but his runic standard protected him. This time Dwarven general was the target and he even got the wound but the magical feedback was not possible to contain and Larry as well as a few of nearby warriors were wounded.

The shooters kept peppering Slayers with bolts and arrows and a few more orange hair fanatics died in not quite honourable way.

Dwarves - Turn 4

Dwarven Rock rolls forward!

Dwarves march towards their enemies. (Edit: I haven't noticed that I didn't reform DP properly on the map so that they cannot see the Slayers and are lined with reavers as above pictures shows. Ups! Sorry!)

Young thane decided it is time he and his unit carries fight to the enemy. Longbeards grumbled that it is a trap. Some other grumbled that it is about time to do business. A few grumbled about those who grumbled. But the unit moved forward in perfect order.

Nearby Hammerers also moved towards their chosen enemy while Slayers reformed once more and blocked some Elves advancing behind their backs.

Dwarven Engineers, seeing that they are about to fight themselves, loaded their grudgethrowers one more time. One of the boulders sailed sure and hit Larry the Loremaster straight into his head! However, instead of explosion or some simple splat-like-sound there was a crack of the barrel and some stinking liquid washed poor Elf from head to toes. As it happened, the Engineers by mistake loaded their last barrel of the finest Bugmans XXXX. More grumbling was heard from the ranks of the Longbeards but at least they had fun looking at an Elf whinging about destruction of his perfect hair and dress!

Outcasts - Turn 5

Artillery is destroyed!

Elves charge again!

Elven cavalry charges both grudgethrowers and finish them both in a vicious combat. Reavers and Swordmasters combine their efforts to destroy the Slayers but they cannot finish them all yet. Even with the help of the Iceshard Blizzard!

Other units manoeuvre to use the fact that the Dwarven blocks are now isolated and picked Longbeards as a target.

Dwarves - Turn 5

Breaking through?

Lonbeards overrun to increase the distance from the elven cavalry

Longbeards charged the lone eagle and overrun to gain as much distance from the enemy. Hammerers also charged the only visible target, White Lions, but failed to reach their enemies.

It was now clear the Elves were in a position to attack Longbeards from all sides. Would that be enough though?

Outcasts - Turn 6

Charge from 3 sides!

Elven speed vs Dwarven Shieldwall!

Many Eelven units charged against Longbeards. Swordmasters with Bob the BSB were a little late and although they could have made it to the combat, Dragon Princes galloped passed them and there was no way they could participate too. Ah well.

Elven Noble challenged Dwarven thanes and BSB picked up the gauntlet. The brave Dwarf fell, however, as Elven Noble aimed true with his magical lance. Half of the regiment perished when Elves swung their blades. The attacks back were miserable in such tight formation but one Sea Guard fell and the Longbeards remained steadfast.

Dwarves - Turn 6

Vicious combat continues!

Ancestors protect!

Hammerers tried desperately to catch some enemies but White Lions didn't fancy meeting them head on. Longbeards fell in droves to the merciless blades of the Elves. In particular Swordmasters were responsible for majority of casualties. Only Thane General and three veteran warriors remained standing. However, when they invoked the power of Ancestors they were filled with bravery and decided to hold on!

Seeing such a determination, Larry the Loremaster decided his enemies fought well enough to be granted his mercy and he ordered the army to disengage.

After-battle thoughts

That Ancestor Rune was worth its price in gold! Longbeards suffered horrendous casualties but held as if they were unbreakable! I must admit I was actually happy Dave made that roll as after his bad luck with grudge thrower (nothing like rolling a 1 to wound when you hit enemy general!) he definitely deserved some epic moment and the dice gods smiled upon him :) It is also great for story writing! Everybody likes to read about heroic deeds when a few prevail against many having the odds against them!

I was definitely very happy with the victory I have achieved. Dwarves are always hard army to play against. I have great respect for the Shieldwall. It helped a lot in that game and was the main reason I didn't attack with the Archers from the front. However, looking at the situation again I think I could have made that last charge better.

You see, I declared the charge with three units from the rear area. 2 heavy cavalry and Swordmasters. I allowed heavy cavalry to charge in but if I added Swordmasters instead of small DP's then I think that would have been a better move. I didn't count on breaking steadfast and I assumed we will have 2 rounds of fighting. In that scenario more Swordmasters in the fight is definitely better even if DP's have re-rolls and better armour. I also wonder if adding Archers, just for the sake of adding more attacks, would have helped. In general I think it was a powerful charge on its own but could I make it more powerful? I guess so, at least with 2 Swordmaster units.

I missed musicians on 2 heavy cavalry units. Once, when I failed test for restraint I could have simply reformed and move again. I was "lucky" to lose the noble and my small unit had the frontage narrow enough to wheel and move full speed. Second situation was with the unit on the other flank. It was funny because we both thought they are going to charge the grudge thrower but there was not enough space to wheel. So I had to reform only. It was only because the Slayers were in wide formation that they could not charge me shortly after.

I think Dave should have corner with the hill. Not necessarily to castle. But if he moved with one flank secured by table edge it would have made my double envelopment impossible. I also think, after looking at the maps, that he should have reformed hammerers and move them towards the centre. In that way his units would have supported each other better.

In any case I am very happy Dave honoured my grudge and we finally had a game against each other! Once again, well done on that last break test! I am sue the Ancestors are proud! :)

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Thu May 08, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Hinge

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 1 - Deployment

#3 Post by Hinge »

work has finely slowed down to a point that I can get start paying attention to my hobby and a new Swordmaster report! Life is good!

Hinge

comments on deployment. I think it is favorable for you and I see you deployed wide due to the grudge throwers. Any thought of going even wider?

Looks like you have a nice opening for your Reavers on the far left. Why the white lions all the way on the right? I would be worried they would be late to the party.
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 1 - Deployment

#4 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Hinge,

Great to see you back! I hope the real life will give you even more freedom soon and we might even see some reports of yours from numerous tournaments you have attended/plan to attend! :)

I will do my best to entertain for sure! And I can tell you that there were some interesting games there too! Not to mention I had to fight WoC (which you are very familiar with) in 3 games!

I decided to deploy Lions there because I wanted to deny early landing zone for the gyro and at the same time press hard with Dragon princes to get rid of the exposed quarrellers. It gave me the opportunity to engage them turn 2 while Lions secured the back line. They also played a role later on in a game as you will see from the report. Nothing spectacular but nonetheless important!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 1 - 8.05.2014

#5 Post by Jimmy »

Hey SM

Nice way to kick Friday off with a battle report and against the new Dwarfs so no doubt it will be good reading.

Good summary for those not in the know – appreciated. A lot of versatility with the characters. Ancestor Rune always active?

Deployment – Very interesting from your opponent not anchoring the hill to protect a flank especially against an MSU force so quick. Even putting a unit in the tower to make it more difficult to get rid of. 3 combat blocks standing shoulder to shoulder however makes it tricky!

Turn 1 – Good outcome on deleting a unit (I’d call it spectacular personally) and especially something as dangerous as a Gyrocopter which can cause nightmares for you in the opening frames more so. Got to be happy with that. Weathered the storm as well.

Turn 2 – Good charges. Did you entertain the idea of screaming the Dragon Princes on the right flank into the gunline hole? Taking out warmachines next turn? I understand this leaves the rest of your forces a little more vulnerable to the shooting fire on the right flank however. Could have prevented the reform next turn as well perhaps sealing up the leak? Another good turn taking out the flying threat and lots of shooting casualties. Plan is going well by the looks of things.

Turn 3 – I note magic isn’t playing much of a part, is this due to you not wanting to get spells deleted or low magic wind rolls? ER1 – why no charge on warmachine? High probability to at least cause a break test and the eagle will be in play to divert perhaps if needed? Ouch on the noble however it was coming wasn’t it due to the lack of damage for the first two turns.

Turn 4 – I don’t believe you’ve lost a single unit as yet and you’ve netted 4 from your opponent. Outstanding play so far.

Turn 5 – All support units now eliminated however I still feel perhaps one of the grudgethrowers could have been taken out earlier and this may/may not have prevented your nobles earlier demise.

Turn 6 – So close on destroying that unit! I think you could/should have thrown everything at it to wipe it off the map. You would have been getting more consistent attacks from the swordmasters as well perhaps?

Magic – Side note here, were you getting average rolls as I note you didn’t talk about it much at all. What spells were getting priority here?

Great game, great outcome. Nice way to kick off the tournament!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#6 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I find it a good idea to write down a summary of the opponents army. I believe I can remember their special rules better next time we might meet. And it helps to think about possibilities and the way to tackle each threat. I might not have time to do so before the battle so it is even more helpful now. I can see, for example, what was the theoretical opportunity and how I might have tried to eliminate particular threat with my army. Takes a little extra time to do so but I think it is worthy!

Oh, Ancestor Rune is one use only item. It allows you to roll a single dice for a break test, very handy!

We discussed with Dave the other options for the deployment and he did consider using the tower too. I am so happy he didn't have the Irondrakes there :)

I was very happy to destroy one Gyro turn 1 and second in turn 2. They are very dangerous to my army because they can inflict some damage with steam guns, are resilient and can mess up my movement phase. I got good roll for eagle claw but I also think I managed to get at least on d6 S4 missile that helped here too. Dave made a mistake with second one though. In fact, I think he should have deployed his support units a little further so that my shooting and magic can be limited in the opening turn.

I decided to attack crossbows instead of dashing past them due to two reasons. First, the Lions alone were not enough to defeat them and they might actually get shot to pieces. Second, small unit at the back is not only a threat due to missiles but also because they can simply move in and charge too. Dwarven shooters can be quite capable warriors and they have S4 on the charge! Finally, Hammerers had a chance to block me anyway or even attack me as I doubt I would be able to move DP far enough to avoid them.

Magic was actually good. The reason I often fail to mention the spells is that I try to case many small ones. Usual opening was Miasma on Thunderers, then Dave simply destroyed that annoying spell. I tried Iceshard and got it on Grudge Thrower but it managed to shoot anyway. It went off on Slayers though to help my units to sustain fewer casualties from returned attacks. I had Spirit Leach twice, once against BSB (I forgot about his 4++, otherwise thane would be a target) and once against the general. I also cast small fireball and burning gaze which often got in. T4 troops don't care about them much but every wound counts. I can't remember the results for winds of magic but I believe they were simply average. The main conclusion though is that now I can cast some spells against Dwarves and they have to choose what to dispel so magic may have some impact on the game.

I didn't charge with the reavers as we checked the distance and it was 10+ charge. I didn't want to fail a charge but still move 6" that looked to me as a move that would have blocked DP's overrun and left them in the front arc of the nearby Slayers. Yes, I wanted to get the machines asap but I could not do it quicker. I admit I was quite lucky not to suffer much from the grudge throwers. They are not as dangerous as they used to be with S5 but S4 is still quite a good killing potential against my small units.

Yes, Swordmasters are definitely more consistent and I should have done it also with Archers. I didn't feel at the time that I am hesitating but for the future reference I should simply push everything I could have. I was starting with huge CR advantage before any wounds were caused and singe Longbeards have only one attack each and "only" S4 a few more wounds would have seen the demise of the regiment. If you think about it it was 400+ points for the unit and 250+ for the general (bonus included) so Dave saved around 700VP with that Ancestors Rune! :)

But as I said it was great final and despite the loss Dave was happy to hold his ground! :)

Thanks again for your feedback, Jimmy!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#7 Post by Ferny »

Great report SM! I have one written too now (actually fully written this time! - just waiting for diagrams), also against dwarfs from last weekends tourney.

So, comments!

I think you correctly identified the threats. Question - do you think you have, within your army, any combination which can take on hammerers? Personally I think not and that they need to be ignored/led astray while you focus on the other units, as you did.

I agree completely with your target priority in this game: xbows and copters, shoot slayers, kill war machines and weakened slayers, take on longbeards if you get the opportunity. Perfectly executed, bar (as you note) some minor tweaking on the final combat.

Without wanting to take away from any of the above, I do wonder slightly whether games like this against dwarfs are to an extent lost by our opponents rather than won by us? You've already mentioned deployment (a few times!) but it's more than that. There are 'easy' points in his list: the xbows, the war machines if you can reach them, and shooting followed by combat on the slayers. To a certain extent I think we can expect to pick up at least 2/3 of these, at a cost of some of our units in the process (to shooting if nothing else). Our cavalry and shooters will play a big role in this.

But if he deploys tighter (or longer) with his blocks then it should be difficult for the cav to get into the back to destroy the artillery, even if we do win the other two. But regardless of whether we get 2/3 or 3/3 - then what? You did well to (nearly) get the longbeards, but really I don't think he should have let you get into a position where you could do that. If he kept them tighter to the hammerers they'd protect eachother on one flank at least. And if he hadn't ploughed forward he shouldn't have exposed his rear. I know you've got the units and the movement and the skill and experience to make the most of these 'mistakes', but I think mistakes were made. If he'd held his nerve I think he could have avoided the (near) loss of this unit, and if he'd (re-)deployed better he shouldn't have lost his back line, or not so quickly anyway.

Also, as has been noted, you were lucky to have so many units left post-shooting, although to be fair this seems quite a 'friendly' list shooting wise, with no OGs, no cannons (not that they'd bother you much), only 2 gyros and soft 'slayers' to give a target to shoot at.

Do you have thoughts on how you might have played it had he played more along the lines of what I suggest? Or were there reasons he couldn't do my suggestions?

Looking forward to seeing more reports - there's been a bit of a shortage recently :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#8 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny!

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the report and I am looking forward to reading yours!

Let me try to address your comments:

Hammerers

These guys hit hard, no mistake about it. But I believe that in the ideal situation, 2 units of Swordmasters, each on each flank, would grind them down. If, on top of that, I could add some other units (even S3 regiments can add more wounds to the combat) the following turn I could finish them in 3 turns of fighting. Every unsaved wound (and hammerers have "only" heavy armour in the fight) is important. That is of course ideal situation and in order to make it happen I would need to draw them forward so that their flanks are exposed.

In the less ideal situation, if I could send two units of Swordmasters in the frontal charge against 7 wide Hammerers as they were deployed at the beginning, I think they would also be able to inflict enough damage over 2-3 rounds of combat to make Hammers manageable for some final charge after that. It can be bloody business and I expect to lose both units or at least lose their combat potential. However, Hammerers would need to divide their attacks in between two units. That means Swordmasters have some chances to survive.

The "help" of the enemy

I am perfectly ok with admitting that the enemy sometimes (if not often) helps you to win games. They make mistakes you can exploit. Or make decisions that at a time may look good but in the hindsight are not that great any more.

However, I had a chat with Dave and he basically said that his decisions were forced by the type of army he faced. Here is where MSU style came to play in another aspect. Dave had a dilemma. To stay put and keep 3 blocks guarding each others flanks, with unbreakable Longbeards and stubborn Hammerers not moving anywhere. But with not many tools to take points otherwise. Or to try and move, to force some combats but abandon the war machines and support troops. The problem was, that both were not perfect. As I have mentioned, being stationary does not give you chances to get points. And I could pick these softer targets. That of course means less VP for me and I still can suffer some casualties if he used his shooters and gyros better or had better luck with shooting.

In a more aggressive approach there is no guarantee he will get into combat or that he will earn his points while moving away from support troops and making them even more vulnerable.

From that point of view I believe that having MSU army forced Dave to make a choice between two options that both had some serious problems. Yes, he made mistakes but they may partially be the consequence of this particular match up and part of the game is about using the opportunity when it arises.

Shooting

I believe that grudge throwers are not as dangerous as they used to be to my small units although they are still a threat. What helped my luck was also the fact that I managed to deal with the Gyrocopters quick. If Dave deployed further and used his assets more conservatively, I am sure my casualties would have been higher.

I do think, however, that you can see the example where multiple threats make the opponent confused. Every unit is potentially dangerous so attacking as many as possible at the same time would be beneficial in order to limit their usefulness. On the other hand that does not give you points. If you focus the fire on single target until it is obliterated (and provided you can) then you don't harm other units and together they might still have enough hitting power to make trouble.

Alternative approach

If Dave played more according to your suggestions I would still try to destroy his support units first. I have tools to do so. Shoot/magic gyrocopters, destroy shooters with cavalry, take warmachines with magic missiles if the access for light horse or single mounted nobles is blocked.

Attack Salyers with S3 arrows and finish them in combat as I did. Before that game I didn't consider sending Swordmasters against the Hammerers in the frontal attack but in that case it might have been an option too. I would expect to suffer more due to that approach but I believe that it could have worked into my favour as well.

Thanks again for your comments!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#9 Post by Iluvatar »

Hey Swordmaster!
Just passing by for a big thanks for this new report. It's always great news when you attend a tournament, since it's a promise of a new series!
Looking forward to the rest, as usual.
Cheers!
Bra'tac SM

#10 Post by Bra'tac SM »

Well played sir!

Great report, thoroughly enjoyed it, not much to add as the others have pretty much covered it, but thanks for a good read, always good to see a comprehensive victory!

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#11 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ Iluvatar & Bra'tac SM

Thanks guys! It is always great to know the reports are still good read and provide some entertainment! I am lucky that there are a lot of tournaments in Oz and if not for busy schedule I am sure I would be attending even more of these!

Hopefully I will return to the more regular reporting any way but I agree, great to have a series of games in one go! :)

Report 2 is under construction. Weekend will be busy but I will do my best to post the customary introduction asap.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#12 Post by Ferny »

Based on your comments I think I either have too low a set of expectations for the combat potential of my army or I'm being to passive with it, or both. You'll see what I mean when I do more bat reps, but I think I take fright at the start and go for a small win rather than planning the big final assault...

I'm also having some interesting thoughts on list-composition (not your favourite area of discussion I know!) which I'll type up on my thread.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:
However, I had a chat with Dave and he basically said that his decisions were forced by the type of army he faced. Here is where MSU style came to play in another aspect. Dave had a dilemma. To stay put and keep 3 blocks guarding each others flanks, with unbreakable Longbeards and stubborn Hammerers not moving anywhere. But with not many tools to take points otherwise. Or to try and move, to force some combats but abandon the war machines and support troops. The problem was, that both were not perfect. As I have mentioned, being stationary does not give you chances to get points. And I could pick these softer targets. That of course means less VP for me and I still can suffer some casualties if he used his shooters and gyros better or had better luck with shooting.

In a more aggressive approach there is no guarantee he will get into combat or that he will earn his points while moving away from support troops and making them even more vulnerable.

From that point of view I believe that having MSU army forced Dave to make a choice between two options that both had some serious problems. Yes, he made mistakes but they may partially be the consequence of this particular match up and part of the game is about using the opportunity when it arises.
I'm going to push you on this one a little more, not to naysay, but to explore ideas in some more depth. I agree (if this is what you're saying) that the MSU cavalry performed very solidly, getting in where it needed to and neutralising the biggest threats in a sensible order. I think they over-performed a bit here, but I'm gonna put that down to user skill :). it was the cavalry which did the early mopping of 'easy' stuff. It's this which I feel could and should have been defended against more.

I think it all unravels from there, and that's the critical thing where more could (I think) be done to prevent it. That said, I have little XP of defending war machines and non of playing as dwarfs, so maybe I'm over-stating the counter. But if the war machines coud have been defended better (and I think they could have been, even if the slayers and xbows were surgically removed), then he wouldn't have been faced with the stark choice of sitting on his laurels mutually defending himself or advancing dangerously. Still, when he decided to move out you were in the perfect position to spring the trap!

Also, could you expand more on how you feel the MSU nature of the list forced his hand? I acknowledge the MSU cav did a sterling job (though this is a common component of other HE armies and not unique to MSU), but the oncoming infantry to my mind could be thought of in much the same way as fewer, larger units in terms of how the dwarfs would see it?

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#13 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

Thanks a lot for your further feedback!
Based on your comments I think I either have too low a set of expectations for the combat potential of my army or I'm being to passive with it, or both. You'll see what I mean when I do more bat reps, but I think I take fright at the start and go for a small win rather than planning the big final assault...
I think you may be both and I know I was there too or sometimes think this way. It's not to say the army can take on everything straight from that start. It may need some magic/shooting support, particular situation to happen etc. I replied to your topic and I want to repeat it here. If you assume you can't win big - you will not because you will focus on hunting support units as the main prize. That should not be the case.
I'm also having some interesting thoughts on list-composition (not your favourite area of discussion I know!) which I'll type up on my thread.
I don't mind talking army lists but I just feel I have more to offer when talking about games and particular situations encountered :)
I'm going to push you on this one a little more, not to naysay, but to explore ideas in some more depth. I agree (if this is what you're saying) that the MSU cavalry performed very solidly, getting in where it needed to and neutralising the biggest threats in a sensible order. I think they over-performed a bit here, but I'm gonna put that down to user skill :). it was the cavalry which did the early mopping of 'easy' stuff. It's this which I feel could and should have been defended against more.
This was usual cavalry role to perform since they are faster and can get to the war machines first. Of course magic missiles are another tool which I showed in some previous games, also against Dwarves. Against shooting elements they did great (although at some losses) also because Thunderers and Quarrelers were not supported. For example, if Dave put them close to the centre, in between the big blocks, I could have not afforded charges that don't guarantee breaking through in one turn as otherwise I would have been countered.

I simply used their speed and armour to fight against units that would struggle against them. However, please note that it was also possible because I moved the units in the centre, being close enough to threaten flanks if any of the big blocks decided to move to help. So while cavalry had all the glory in the first half of the game, it was cooperation and threatening behaviour of the infantry plus shooting and magic that helped the cavalry to roll the flanks.
Also, could you expand more on how you feel the MSU nature of the list forced his hand? I acknowledge the MSU cav did a sterling job (though this is a common component of other HE armies and not unique to MSU), but the oncoming infantry to my mind could be thought of in much the same way as fewer, larger units in terms of how the dwarfs would see it?
There are a few things that I have observed people tend to do when they face MSU army.

First, they sometimes try to spread the deployment trying to match my own wide formation. It theoretically covers more ground and counters my small units but in practice, thins down his battle line and gives me better chance to pick weaker links as they are either unsupported or not supported well.

Second, the enemy is faced with multiple threats of similar value. It is then hard to make priorities. He tried to hit my characters with his shooting, which is a good method. But at the same time he spread his effort. As a result he didn't get my units destroyed (although he could have if he focused the shooting) and he didn't even weaken them below combat usefulness.

Finally, seeing his army surrounded by a swarm didn't help to make a decision as which approach to take. To be defensive and protect big units or attack and risk them being surrounded too. I have observed that sometimes people are indecisive in such circumstances and as a result tend to change their mind in the middle of the game. In this particular case that meant Dave faced a multiple charge with his main regiment and only great roll at the end saved him from more crushing defeat. While being more disciplined and keeping his initial positions so that the battle line is intact, would not win him the game but at least would have prevented the last turn attack.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#14 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

Game 2 - Adam - Beastmen - Dawn Attack

Adam is a very active tournament player, a fellow Master player and the guy responsible for that unique 8-dragon slayers Dwarven army that was on everybody lips before Masters tournament. Somehow, despite taking part in many other tournaments at the same time and often being very close to each other on the ladder, we have never played a single game. This time fate finally pitched us against each other.

Adam is also known for having multitude of armies and for taking different forces to different events. This time he chose Beastie Boyz:

Beastmen - Army List

Doombull , Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying, Ramhorn Helm, Dawnstone, Gnarled Hide
Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4, Dispel Scroll - Lore of the Beasts

Gorebull, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation
Gorebull, Great Weapon, Glittering Scales
Wargor BSB, Heavy Armour, The Beast Banner

47 Gor Herd, Extra Hand Weapon, FC
5 Ungor Raiders, Musician
5 Ungor Raiders, Musician - Ambush
Tuskgor Chariot
Tuskgor Chariot
5 Harpies
6 Minotaurs, Standard, Musician
3 Razorgor Herd

Quite character heavy army list if you ask me. Let's look at the details!

Doombull - the most dangerous model on the field. He can take care of any of my unit all by himself. With 1+ armour save and re-rolls to that he is very resilient. Single bolt or any of my nobles could harm him, however, especially if he chose to hunt alone. If he was to stay in the unit of Minotaurs there is a better chance for me to contain him though.

Gorebulls - As dangerous in combat as the Doombull but fortunately less protected. They also don't have ASF, in fact, they are ASL with GW so that there is always a chance to sneak a wound or two on them. Since they are pretty expensive at around 200VP each, it may be good idea to direct some attacks at them. Again, a lot would depends how they are deployed. Since they are more vulnerable I thought they would start the game in the unit of the Minotaurs anyway but I should be always careful not to give them a chance to charge some units alone.

Great Bray-Shaman - very respectable spell caster with Beast Lore that suits Beastmen very well. He is not protected at all so if given the chance I should try to assassinate him. His spells can affect his characters in a great way, even more reason to keep them together. Wildform on Gors is awesome too as T5 is their best defence (apart from sheer numbers).

BSB - quite typical choice for beastmen army. His banner affecting gors is fantastic. THey have S4, 2A each and with primal fury they re-roll their to hit rolls. Simply great! However, another naked but valuable characters so I would be looking for a chance to get him down as soon as possible.

Gors - horde of them. Despite no armour there are so many of them that it would be tough to trim them down to the manageable size. With potential Wildform I was looking at a unit that has a very large amount of S5 attacks (as long as Beast Banner is there). However, horde formation also means I can fit more units into their frontage and that they lose rank bonus faster. There is no mistake, however, there would be blood.

Ungors - total opposite to the big hitting regiments, they are there to be annoying and be sacrificed. One unit with Ambush is going to hunt down my Eagle claw. However, it is not known which table edge they are going to enter and fortunately, they cannot charge then. Need to take care of them as they potentially can mess up my movement phase.

Harpies - a very useful unit indeed. They might not be the most disciplined unit around but they fly and skirmish offers some protection from shooting. Again, another annoying unit I need to take care of and with potential to do some damage to some of my less fighty units, such as reavers if attacked to the flank.

Chariots - Always annoying due to impact hits. Pair of them can ensure that small units can be annihilated on the charge. Can be dealt with by heavy cavalry due to longer charge distance but used well can be painful. Also, they accompany other fighting units perfectly.

Minotaurs - second fighting unit. They can deal damage on their own pretty well but with potentially 3 characters in them, Mino-Bus is terrifying opponent to hold. Even their frenzy is not that easy to exploit as they overrun/pursue only d6". On top of that, after each won combat they get additional attacks. Very powerful indeed. I still need to divert them and try to separate them as I cannot fight Minotaurs at full strength and I need time to soften them up with magic and shooting.

Razorgors - quite interesting unit with very good hitting potential, especially on the charge (as they get +1S). despite no armour they are T5 and relatively fast so that I needed to employ my cavalry to hunt them down before they add their powerful attacks to these of gors, minotaurs and chariots.

We played modified Dawn Attack scenario. We deployed as per rulebook but there were additional conditions to regular victory points. If you moved your most valuable unit from the deployment zone you got 200VP. If you hunted down the most expensive enemy unit/character then you get 200VP extra. Finally, if you moved the units with at least 2 ranks to the enemy zone you got 200VP more.

Deployment

Armies emerging from the morning mist

Deployment after vanguard moves

Dawn Attack is tricky because you don't quite know where units are going to show up. What is more, I won the roll off and had to deploy my army first. I decided that I am going to deploy at the back anyway so that I have more time to act against Adam's Beastmen. I decided to deploy as evenly as possible but some rolls meant my units were leaning towards left flank.

Larry was with Lions on the left flank, Bob joined nearby Swordmasters. The noble with Potion of Strength was in the centre while Star Lance hero guarded right flank.

As expected, Minotaur heroes were with Minotaurs and Bray-Shaman with BSB joined Gors. Support troops of the Beastmen all were lost in the morning mist and emerged on the opposite flank of the deployment zone.

Bastmen Great Shaman had the following spells:

Wyssan's Wildform,Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, The Curse of Anraheir, , The Savage Beasts of Horrors

Adam showed some great skills at rolling dice and promptly obtained a "6" to steal the first turn! Deploying at the back line definitely paid off! :)

Beastmen - Turn 1

Beastmen in steady advance

Main horde surges forward

Minotaurs and Gors move forward keeping cohesive battle line. Nearby Razorgors keep a little more distance to protect the flank better. Support units do not move much in order to threaten the elven flank or stay safe. They also follow the order to disperse so that demise of any one of them does not panic another.

Small unit of Ungor Riders shows up nearby the Eagle Claw but their poorly aimed arrows do not harm the crew.

Outcasts - Turn 1

High Elves do not remain static

First blood for Elves!

High Elves use the opportunity to redress the ranks and move towards the enemy. On the right flank ellyrian reavers try to shoot at ungors and chase them away but small beastmen managed to avoid casualties. Their brethren near the Eagle Claw were not that lucky and they indeed were not brave enough to stay and fight.

Magic and shooting was focused on Minotaurs and at least one of the brutes were dead after the missiles reached them.

Beastmen - Turn 2

Beastmen are getting closer

Great Bray Shaman prepares himself and his horde for the incoming combat!

Minotaurs and Gors wheeled towards the centre of the Elven battle line. It was clear that the close combat is inevitable. Great Bray Shaman didn't wait any longer. He first was allowed to cast a protective spell on himself and then managed to get Wildform through, to make his Gor horde a very formidable foe indeed.

On the other flank a manoeuvre and counter manoeuvre between support troops continued.

Outcasts - Turn 2

Closer look at both battle lines.

Noble sacrifice by Dragon Princes

Seeing an enemy standard bearer at the head of the formation Dragon Princes moved as one. It was their right to charge gloriously into the thick of the enemy. They knew it was a suicidal charge but they had one mission to accomplish. They all aimed at the enemy army standard. The beast was incredibly tough but Dragon Princes were experts with lances and foul creation of chaos was pierced by the Caledorians. They tried to use the impetus to impale a few more beastmen but the sheer number of the enemy was enough to swallow the whole squadron alive.

The rest of the army formed a line in grim determination to make the noble sacrifice of the knights count. Light troops continued their dance but still could not pin down beastmen skirmishers.

Beastmen - Turn 3

Left flank after combat and ...

... bigger picture

Beastmen counter attack!

Beastmen great shaman, outraged at this display of bravado and the demise of his personal standard, ordered his horde to charge. They made contact with small unit of Swordmasters who fought bravely and fell many beastmen but also suffered casualties and had to withdraw. They managed to avoid pursuers who, having not much space to manoeuvre, hit another elven unit without a chance to reform. (Edit: It was peculiar situation as Gors hit one model in the other Swordmaster unit and there was no way for beastmen to wheel to maximise any better, so here they were, touching almost corner to corner :))

Razorgors were not fast enough somehow to join the fight and dangerously exposed themselves to the counter charge by elven knights. Minotaurs hunted down annoying eagle and devoured the carcass immediately.

Outcasts - Turn 3

The result of Lions counter attack!

Double pincer charge!

White Lions, using the opportunity, counter charged horde of gors from both flanks while Bladelord challenged Great Shaman to a single combat. Lions hit hard, as was expected from expert huntsmen, and suffered minimal casualties in return. Gors, no unruly due to lack of standard bearer and great shaman being occupied in the challenge, decided to retreat. Fortunately for them, they outpaced pursuing elves. (Edit: Another hilarious situation! With 3 attempts to catch fleeing enemy I failed all of them! What is more, for 2 units I rolled double 1's #-o :lol: )

Fortunately, nearby Sisters could distract minotaurs while razorgors were charged by dragon princes led by one of the heroes. Two razorgors died but the third managed to escape pursuing knights. Just.

On the right flank, a lone hero misjudged the distance to isolated chariot but nearby reavers blocked beastmen from counter charging the noble knight.

Beastmen - Turn 4

Beastmen Gors rally!

Doombull charges alone!

Gors and single Razorgor manage to rally to face the Elves one more time. Gors, despite losing almost half of their numbers, were still in great strength. Great Shaman one more time made them even more wild and mutated than usual, increasing their strength and toughness.

Nearby charioteers considered charging the exposed flank of the elven cavalry but they spotted the elven hero picking up some magic bottle and gulping its contents. After that his form seemed to grow and glow with magical light and they decided they don't want to face him just yet.

In the meantime Doombull, bored with hunting some lesser prey, charged White Lions alone and killed them all to an Elf! Fortunately for nearby Swordmasters, he was distracted by the fresh flesh and blood and didn't use his momentum to hit them too!

On the opposite flank, Reavers drew the chariot into their ranks and sacrificed their lives so that the noble knight could avenge them and destroy the enemy!

Outcasts - Turn 4

Gors still hold!

Elves in another counter punch!

Archers and Lions charged together against the rallied Gors to pin them down. Behind the enemy formation, lone hero charges out from among the Dragon Princes and finishes last Razorgor while his unit reforms and prepares to charge Gors next. Unfortunately, nearby Sea Guard was a little late to join the party (Edit: Needing 4+ I had to roll 1 and 2 :))

As the vicious combat started Larry the Loremaster challenged enemy great shaman. That distracted the servant of chaos and as a result elven archers became stronger and tougher while beastmen were suddenly fighting against the cold even they could not ignore. Archers and Lions inflicted huge amount of casualties and defeated the enemy but Gors were filled with some insane, savage courage and held against all odds! (Edit: Adam simply rolled double 1 when he needed it the most!)

Another knightly noble made the successful charge against another chariot this time and destroyed it, avenging brave reavers. Second unit of the fast cavalry finally hunted down some enemy skirmishers.

Beastmen - Turn 5

Tuskgor chariot failed to help

The last attempt to turned the tide by beastmen failed. Their chariot was too late to join the fight and this time defeated Gors were successfully chased down by Archers! Even doom bull failed to reach elven units in the last charge.

Outcasts - Turn 5

Archers tried to reach enemy deployment zone but were a little bit too late

Elven noble hunts down last chariot

With the time for the game reaching its end I only did a few moves to speed it up and finish the game. I charged the chariot with the noble and caught it when it fled. I also tried to reach Adam's deployment with the Archers for extra VP points due to scenario but I was still too far away. I didn't cast any magic as there was no time for it.

With that last move the game was finished!

After-battle thoughts

It was extremely enjoyable game and I would like to thank Adam for the opportunity to play against him. I am very happy we finally had a chance to play against each other and it was a very tense contest but in very positive meaning. We both tried hard to outsmart the opponent and all was decided in a vicious combat rather than by some tricky magic or shooting. Although one has to add that magic did play a very significant role.

I think Adam had bad luck with his support units as he needed them to prepare his advance better. Because he didn't have any screen I could charge his gors with my knights and use the opportunity to assassinate his bsb. That was crucial for the combat as you saw when Beastmen failed their Ld8 steadfast break test. With a bsb alive they would have been there for sure, not to mention the fact that gors would have had S5! It is truly a formidable unit in terms of how much damage it can deal and having them in horde formation meant they could soak up casualties and keep fighting.

That is the reason why I was so impressed by the Archers! I was thinking if I should charge with them or should I simply move more units to positions but it was a good move to attack. It was not guaranteed that I could even win that combat but I guess fortune favour the bold and I could aid my units with timely Iceshard as well as Wildform. Before I tried to chip away a few wounds from minotaurs with small magic missiles but after losing 2 of them Adam could allocate hits and I kept failing my to wound rolls against tougher gorebulls.

There were moments where I took the risk, as with holding against Gors with Swordmasters but I think it was calculated risk. I didn't see them stopping by contacting Swordmasters again. I thought I would be able to receive the charge with archers and add Swordmaster + Lions from the flank and Sea Guard from the front. I didn't expect them breaking while being steadfast either but then Ld8 is not that great without bsb. To balance it out, Adam got the insane courage result exactly when he needed! Not to mention stealing the initiative!

I was very happy with the performance of the mounted nobles as they aided cavalry but also operated as single units themselves, which was very helpful.

I still wonder what would have happened if Adam used his Minotaur heroes separately, say from turn 2. I could try to kill one but probably not two and Doom bull would have been free to go earlier. AS he demonstrated he was capable of killing entire unit in a single round of combat!

In the end I was very happy to gain upper hand after great game and against fantastic opponent! I hope we are still going to have a chance for a rematch!

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Wed May 14, 2014 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

RE.Lee

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 2 - Deployment

#15 Post by RE.Lee »

Congrats on the Dwarf win! The stunties are always a challenge but I think your MSU was tricky for them to fight - there was no unit he could just push those hammerers against and hope to get some real points. Where he pushed you stood back, where he left holes in his lines you exploited - a true water warrior! =D>

I'm looking forward to seeing the full beastmen report, all those minotaur characters look scary!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 2 - Deployment

#16 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Thanks RE. Lee! I appreciate your kind words. Water warrior, hm, I like it :D

I still need to prepare the rest of the diagrams for Game 2 so please, be patient. But I promise that it is worth waiting for as there will be some vicious fight and both armies stretched their resources thin in order to prevail in that mortal combat while both spell casters fought mind wars, cast support spells to aid their own troops and countered these their counter parts tried to sneak through!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 2 - 13.05

#17 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

Just letting you know that report from game 2 is there for you to read!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Jimmy
Centurion

#18 Post by Jimmy »

Hey SM

Thanks for the second battle report. The scenario certainly provides an interesting challenge for your MSU list, more so I believe over ‘conventional’ lists because I believe precision and timing are so much more critical for your type of list in order to succeed so this battle will almost come down to how fast you can adapt.

Turn 1 – What shooting got rid of the west Ungor? Just the RBT? Good outcome however to remove all threats from the rear of your battle line.

Turn 2 – Nice charge and certainly a worthy trade. Was your opponent expecting this bold move do you think?

Turn 3 – Great move that the MSU is renowned for! I’m confused about the direction they fled in however? Wouldn’t they have fled either directly away from one of the units and not on that diagonal path?

Turn 4 – were you expecting the doombull to solo charge and was that the plan if so to pull him out?

A very well played game mate, I was particularly impressed how you managed to handle your lack of tactical advantage given the scenario. Looking at your Turn 2 map it doesn’t look any different from any other deployment you would have made and the victory is proof of this so well done. The nobles put forth an amazing performance, very keen to see if they keep this up for the remainder of the games and get your thoughts on them at the end of it all.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#19 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks a lot for your feedback! Very much appreciated! :)

It is an interesting scenario for both sides! First, as you could see, Adam's support was in a wrong spot. If he had them all together, he would have been much more difficult threat. Second, he stole the initiative and that was also the thing one has to take into account.

I was generally happy with the deployment, even if my general and his Lions bodyguard ended up on the left flank. Eagle Claw was also exposed because of that. But I believe that is also the strength of the MSU approach. Small units, even if positioned in the place that you didn't plan for them, do not affect the entire battle line that much as in the case of big regiments. For example, I had a game against VC once, where his Lord and majority of combat troops ended up on one flank, while his Necro level 4 and zombies where on the opposite edge. Imagine how much trouble that causes!

Eagle Claw itself caused 2 wounds on ambushing ungors and forced the panic check. Lucky me!

Hm, I wonder if Adam expected that suicidal charge, maybe? I do know, however, he could have positioned his bsb next to bray shaman so that only 2 models would have attacked him. That increases his chances to survive.

yes, I really liked that vicious combat in the centre! take the charge with one unit, do some damage, flee and force the enemy to be stopped by another regiment. On top of that allowing others to counter from the flanks! All possible simply because you have more units to choose from! What is more, I could choose if I wanted to add archers to the combat or not! I chose not to because in horde formation Gors still have considerable amount of attacks. If I had Sea Guard in better position (and I should have) I would definitely add them both in frontal attack to kill more beastmen but what is more important, break steadfast!

As to the direction of the flight we first determined which of my units have the most ranks. Obviously Swordmasters. Then, you draw the line centre to centre between Swordmasters and Gors, that was that diagonal direction. Very important detail as it hugely affects how the units flee/pursue.

I could not block them all, i.e. Minotaurs, so decided to angle Sisters and allow Doombull to charge alone. That was ok because the units has to stay and only reform while Sisters were still there to interfere. What I didn't expect was that he would have annihilate whole regiment :D The problem with Doombull was that he actually had already more attacks than initial value due to previous combat, had re-rolls due to ASF and high enough initiative and managed to hit with all and wound with all. And then he stomped the last and only survivor :D What saved me was the special rule he can only overrun by d6" and not 2d6!

Thanks a lot for kind words, Jimmy. I was very happy with the overall performance and enjoyed extra options mounted nobles provide. I am still learning how to use them but it was a good example how helpful they can be.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#20 Post by Ferny »

Yes indeed, getting the dual flank charges was masterful =D> !

I liked the assassination too - you don't see much of that these days so it was a timely reminder that it's a tactical option!

Just a small thing to note, but I also like that you moved your archers up with your battleline, keeping it straight. I probably wouldn't have done to not get the -1 to hit (assuming they wouldn't be in cover from the other moves), but I think you're probably right to prioritise the battleline over shooting. It's 'little' things like that which I think help make your MSU play so successful.

Electric Puha

#21 Post by Electric Puha »

Great game! I loved the scarifice move with the Dragon Princes.

Don't take to long on the next one :p

Glad to see you posting over at Asrai too.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#22 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your comments and kind words! As always, very much appreciated :)

@ Ferny

Well, I had the opportunity and it was charge or be charged so I decided it is time to take the fight to the enemy! Adam was unlucky to fail his steadfast break but as I have mentioned before Ld8 without re-rolls is not the odds you need to almost guarantee that your unit is going to stay.

I am glad I pulled out that assassination attempt. It was good exchange, because I gained more points from that and, what is more important, the unit was weaker both in pure strength of the attacks and in its ability to hold the line. This time it was against BSB but you can look for similar opportunities in the case of wizards. Dragon Princes were good candidate here because of their speed and the fact they have 2A each. However, other units can perform similar duties, depending on the circumstances.

Yes, after playing too passively with my regiments at CanCon I try to look for the opportunities to use my units in more direct and aggressive way. As you saw, lowly archers happen to be quite good in combat if you can engineer the situation right. They can be very handy against GW elven elites, especially when you mess up with their initiative (if higher) or WS or add Iceshard Blizzard or wild form :)

@ Electric Puha

Thanks! I am very happy to know you liked the report! I will do my best to provide next report soon but I am afraid that it might be some time during the weekend :/ So please, be patient.

Well, I find all Elves very intriguing as armies, I like to read about them all as they are linked anyway. I like the models in general and it felt natural that with new book there are going to be some very intriguing discussions on Asrai.org too so I decided to dwell into the forest :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Prince Luficer

#23 Post by Prince Luficer »

You need to name your nobles!
I cast a vote for Ned the Noble and Nick the Noble!

I really like the way you write your battle reports! Details of how bravely your soldiers fought etc! :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#24 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Prince Lucifer!

Thanks a lot for your kind words! I am happy to hear that you like my reports! I sometimes try to mock my own army (characters in particular) in order to cover their incompetence too :)

Thanks for the suggestions for names! I really like these two nobles and I wonder about other options for their equipment so that I can add some more variety to the list. The suggestions are very good and I will keep them in mind for sure!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#25 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Greetings!

Game 3 - Spencer - Tzeentch Warriors - Meeting Engagement

In the third game I had a great pleasure to play against Spencer and his Tzeentch Warriors. I have never played against Spencer before but I know he finished 8th on CanCon 2014! We played Meeting Engagement scenario with no modifications to the rules from the rule book. Warriors of Chaos are always a tough opponent and this time the challenge was to try and win against he following army list:

Warriors of Tzeentch - Army List

Chaos Lord, Disc of Tzeentch; Mark of Tzeentch, Talisman of Endurance; Hellfire Sword; Enchanted Shield; Third Eye of Tzeentch; Flaming Breath; Soul Feeder

Battle Standard Bearer, Barded Chaos Steed; Mark of Tzeentch; Shield; Talisman of Preservation; Warrior Bane

Chaos Sorceror, Level 2, Disc of Tzeentch; Mark of Tzeentch, Opal Amulet; Charmed Shield; Ruby Ring of Ruin; Chaos Familiar - Lore of Metal

Chaos Chariot, Mark of Tzeentch
Chaos Chariot, Mark of Tzeentch
5 Marauder Horsemen, javelins, flails, Standard, Mark of Tzeentch
18 Chaos Warriors, halberds, Full Command; Banner of Swiftness; Mark of Tzeentch
8 Chaos Ogres, great weapons, Full Command, Mark of Tzeentch

Chaos Spawn, Spawn of Tzeentch

It is a rare occasion to see a mono god army these days. However, Spencer showed that such a force can still be an army to be respected and in the hands of a good player it can go high in a tournament. Let's have a closer look at his choices:

Chaos Lord - The hardest hitting model in the entire army. His Hellfire Sword does d3 wounds, allows no armour save but these attacks are flaming. Great for hunting down monsters or lone characters. However, additional effect that the slain foes can explode and inflict further damage can potentially be deadly for rank and files too. The fact he flies makes him very hard to contain. My plan was to slow him down with units with champions (if he attacks them) and make sure any pursuit/overrun moves he has do not lead to new combats. If I could get him into combat with Dragon Princes or Star Lance hero then with 2++ against his flaming attacks I have a chance to hold him for longer. The fact that ha has "only" 4++ ward save (with re-rolls to 1's) makes it actually possible to hurt him by Searing Doom for instance.

Battle Standard Bearer - another well protected character with 1+/3++ saves. Good in combat too so that he can dish out a few more wounds against the enemy. I was curious where is he going to be, however. He can join any unit but due to being cavalry he can stand out from the warriors. Fortunately for Spencer, I have no cannons! :)

Chaos Sorcerer - provides some ranged weapons for the army in the form of ruby ring and spells. I forgot to ask why Spencer favours lore of metal instead of lore of Tzeentch. Both have some good spells to help the army so I guess it is all about personal preference. Another flying character that can potentially escape my attention and be hard to catch.

Chariots - very dangerous against my small units, fortunately slower than cavalry and relatively vulnerable to missile fire and magic missiles. I had to deal with them in the first place as otherwise they can be very, very dangerous, either as single models or a support for other units.

Marauder Horsemen - it is great to see so many fast cavalry units and I think they are very useful for WoC army. There are 4 cavalry units against 4 of mine but the problem might be that only 2 of mine are actually fast cavalry. But I was happy to have bows in that match up. I was very eager to see which support troops would prevail as both sides had their own advantages. Taking care of them would also be a priority. I need clear field to manoeuver.

Warriors - not that slow thanks to Banner of Swiftness. In one-on-one combats they have the upper hand against any of my small units so the trick was to lead to the situations where I could have 2-3 units against this one. I had to isolate them though as any support from characters, chariots or even fast cavalry means I am in trouble.

Ogres - another units that is not that popular among WoC players but has some hard hitting potential. If used in cooperation with characters or Warriors they can be very dangerous and they will definitely inflict casualties if charged from the front. One should not forget about their impact hits too!

Chaos Spawn - quite annoying little bugger. Not that easy to shoot down, unpredictable in the combat and Tzeentch one also has some breathing attack. May interfere with my movement phase too so I needed to look for the opportunity to eliminate it.

As usual against Warriors who are designed to carry the fight to the enemy I wanted to deploy further back, soften the enemy with magic and missile fire and use the opportunity that I have more units to arrange favourable combats. The trick was that we didn't know which units are going to enter the battle field and which were to be kept in reserves. I won the roll-off and I had to deploy my entire army first.

Deployment

Deployment of the armies - both forces have some units in reserves

Reavers on the right flank had a tough job to delay 4 enemy regiments

Deployment of the armies after vanguard moves

Both units of Dragon Princes ended up in reserves which was a little bit problematic as I needed them ready to charge right from the start. On the other hand, Spencer's Lord, two units of marauders and a chariot also ended up in reserves.

I didn't move my reavers on the right flank during vanguard phase in order to be able to charge marauder horsemen. However, my plan was ruined when Spencer skilfully rolled a 6 and stole the initiative! :)

Chaos Sorcerer had following spells:

Enchanted Blades of Aiban, Glittering Robe, Final Transmutation

Warriors of Tzeentch - Turn 1

All might of the Warriors of Tzeentch has assembled

Reavers seemed to be hard pressed

The reinforcements have arrived

Warriors of Tzeentch seized the initiative and moved towards the Elves occupying the nearby hill and assembled in the defensive formation. Timely arrival of the reinforcements, led by the army general himself, put even more pressure on the elven army. They had very little time to react.

Outcasts - Turn 1

Elves remain calm and fight back

Heavy cavalry to the rescue!

First blood for Elves!

Elves had to react quickly before the enemy could consolidate the battle line and the units which arrived as reinforcements joined the rest of the army. Ellyrian Reavers in the South charged the opposing marauders and forced them to flee despite the presence of the battle standard bearer. Elven fast cavalry slammed then into another unit of the marauders while heavy cavalry arrived at the rear of the enemy formation.

In the centre the Elven fire base (including the Loremaster and his various magic missiles!) first shot at some Ogres and then eliminated one of the chariots. That was enough of the fireworks for big lads and they turned and fled to safety!

In the North, White Lions and Swordmasters prepared for the inevitable combat.

Warriors of Tzeentch - Turn 2

Attack on the North

And moving forward on the South

Warriors of Tzeentch in a double pincer manoeuvre

Chaos Lord leads the charge and charioteers follow. In between impact hits, Lord attacks and Hellfire effect, not a single Chracian survives and both overrun. Luckily for the nearby Sea Guard the momentum carries the Lord past them while much heavier chariot does not reach their ranks at all.

On the South Reavers face the spawn and despite defensive position they lose combat and are forced to retreat. Their companions draw combat with marauders. In the meantime, the Chaos Sorcerer uses his magical ring to burn a few Archers alive but the survivors grimly hold the line.

Outcasts - Turn 2

Elven counter attack

Chaos Lord - a little bit too far to pose immediate threat this time

Elves fight back to prevent encirclement

As the chariot passed the Swordmasters, warriors of Hoeth decided to scare away the marauders who predictably fled from the charge. Sea Guard reformed and created a hedgehog formation to receive the charge from the chariot. BSB was sent to join the archers and keep the battle standard high.

Dragon Princes charged the marauders engaged in combat with the reavers and killed them all, panicking nearby companions of the chaotic tribesmen.

(Edit: I cannot remember who got the Sorcerer but I am pretty sure I tried some magic missiles and some shooting at him :))

Warriors of Tzeentch - Turn 3

Great Eagle - as usual taking one for the team

Warriors of Tzeenth persistently push forward!

Another attack on the flanks

As predicted the chariot charges Sea Guard and tramples a few brave warriors but the unit holds fast. The Lord surfs around the Elven lines and positions himself to attack soon. In the meantime, his BSB leads the warriors into the attack and storm through poor eagle into the nearby Swordmasters.

Outcasts - Turn 3

Powerful counter attack!

The whole regiment and battle standard bearer perish!

Sea Guard on the North kept fighting hoping that the Swordmasters will finally help them. They held this time but they also knew they have to keep fighting a little bit longer.

The shooters aimed at the marauders and destroyed one unit entirely. Then the ground started to shake as elven cavalry picked up the momentum to charge the enemy.

First Ellyrian Reavers attacked the exposed flank of a wounded Spawn and killed the abomination. Next, their companions charged the ogres to distract them but the brutes were again unnerved by the way elves hunted down chaotic minions and fled. This time, however, they also panicked some horsemen too.

Finally, Dragon Princes stormed into the rear rank of the Warriors of Tzeentch, while Larry the Loremaster led his White Lions to the flank of their foe. One of the Nobles gulped his potion and he hit with unnatural strength. However, weaver of fates protected his children and their magical aura of protection deflected the hits! Despite that, the attack was so powerful that even Warriors of Chaos could not hold against it and were run down in pursuit, their battle standard held high as a trophy.

Warriors of Tzeentch - Turn 4

Chaos General reaches daemonhood!

Or not? :(

Sea Guard once more holds against charioteers and it is sure now that they will be relieved. Chaos Lord charges White Lions and their Loremaster. The Lions carry the general into safety but they are a little too eager and move way too far. The ignored marauders waited for such an opportunity and promptly attacked the Elves who had no option but to flee the battle!

(Edit: I suffered fro tunnel vision here and moved Lions before I reconsidered the consequences. Or maybe I rolled all too well for the flee! :) It was indeed a grievous mistake and well done to Spencer for punishing me for such a stupidity! )

The Chaos Lord smoothly redirected and hit the disciplined ranks of the Swordmasters. Bladelord stepped up to call the challenge and the Chaos Lord was more than happy to accept. He killed the brave Elf and shortly after his form started to change and grow. A daemonic shape started to shimmer in the air but then something broke the spell and Chaos Lord disappeared!

(Edit: Spencer rolled for Eye of the Gods table and got double 6's! It meant his Lord turned into a Daemon Prince! Spencer passed the leadership test and ... announced he does not have the model so he is taking off the Lord as a casualty. :( According to the rules the Lord is removed as a casualty anyway but lack of the Daemon Prince model was unfortunate. Apparently Spencer has never had a similar situation. but he showed a great sportsmanship and accepted the loss without regret. I had 5 fantastic games against great opponents but this behaviour is something others should take example of. I was happy to give a vote for Spencer as a best sport and he actually won that award too! Well done, Spencer! Totally deserved! =D> )

Outcasts - Turn 4

Elves regroup

After violent confrontation in the South, the attention of the Elven warriors was drawn to the North, were the remaining units of the enemy were still intact. Swordmasters managed to rescue Sea Guard in the last possible moment. The shooters killed some Ogres while fast cavalry in the South hunted down few marauder horsemen.

Warriors of Tzeentch - Turn 5

Last attempt to charge by Ogres

Not this time!

Chaos Ogres tried to charge the nearest Elven unit but they just could not make it. Would Elven cavalry take an opportunity to counter charge?

Outcasts - Turn 5

Heavy cavalry charge again!

Proud Dragon Princes level their lances one more time and charge the Ogres. They win the combat and break the enemy but cannot catch them down yet. However, the only survivors of the chaos army don't rally and are soon run down by pursuing Dragon Princes. Warriors of Tzeentch are utterly destroyed!

After-battle thoughts

I must admit I would have never expected to win by destroying the entire army of Chaos Warriors. They are really tough opponent and I would take any victory over them any time! I thought I am in even bigger trouble when Spencer rolled a 6 to seize the initiative. There were a few things that helped me to win this game fore sure!

1. The fact that Chaos Lord not only missed Sea Guard but could not see any target after defeating White Lions helped enormously. I could hold the Northern flank long enough for the Swordmasters to arrive. Not to mention the fact I could put my BSB to safer place. It was a mistake to charge with Swordmasters against the marauders, however and I should have position them better (so that they could counter immediately).

2. Some crucial panic checks were failed, notably by Ogres and that was a relieve. They could not support the warriors or storm through the centre of my battle line. I guess the fact they were out of range of BSB was a mistake here.

3. Daemonhood! - I got some bonus points for the enemy general which balanced out my very stupid mistake with fleeing Loremaster #-o However, if Spencer had a model, I would have suffered some more casualties. On the other hand I was hoping to contain that beast with fire proof armour and either Dragon princes or one of the nobles could have held him. In fact, I should have accepted that challenge with the noble in the first place!

I was very happy with the result of the game but I am still sure there were things I could have done better. First, BSB should have started with archers as I knew the North is going to be under pressure. I didn't know what is going to show up in reserves, if anything, but I should have anticipated the danger.

I have mentioned the relative positioning of the Lions and Swordmasters. I could have stopped the enemy in a better way.

I am not sure if I positioned DP's correctly. I guess not really because they blocked each other. Initially I wanted to charge 2 marauder horsemen with the first heavy cavalry unit and make way for the second to hit the rear of the enemy. But I had no space to wheel. That was what we checked during the game. However, I missed the opportunity as I could have wheeled from another side and make contact with 2 marauders. I had a chance to defeat them and then overrun into the combat achieving the destruction of 2 fast enemy units in one go.

Having said that I was very happy I managed to spot the opportunity and charge warriors with enough units to break them on the charge. Some good magic/shooting also helped to achieve some local advantage. With 17-3 victory and 3 wins after day 1 I was sure to face another tough challenge and some voice whispered that I should check what Mr. Kholek can do :)

I would like to take that opportunity and once again thank Spencer for fantastic game. I cannot stress out enough how great opponent he is. Spencer, that was a great privilege to meet you and to play against you. Well done on that Best Sport award and I am sure next time we meet you will get the upper hand!

Thanks for reading! :)
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Bra'tac SM

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 3 - Deployment

#26 Post by Bra'tac SM »

Looking forward to this one!

I've been playing against Warriors a lot recently, so i'm hoping for some nuggets of inspiration! Especially how you deal with the tough Characters.

Great read so far, loved the Kamikaze Dragon Princes!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: HE MSU at ANUWTF - Game 3 - updated 20.05

#27 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Bra'tac SM!

I have just posted the report you were waiting for! I hope you will find it interesting :)

CHeers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Electric Puha

#28 Post by Electric Puha »

Ah, good to see the chaos filth face down in the mud where they belong! =D>

I think failed panic checks are the price you pay for having your general running around in the enemy backline.
Hinge

#29 Post by Hinge »

SM-

Excellent win against an opponent who sounds like a blast to play. Kudos to him for holding himself to the rules on the Eye of the Gods/DP.

A couple of questions.

In this match up, I do not think I would have even deployed my Cav characters in units as the WoC player had no ranged threats other then Final trans. Heck, even the characters on foot could run around outside of units.

You should still be able to charge the cav characters in, where the lances come into play. They would be highly mobile as well, allowing you to position them for counter charges better. I also find that when they are running around on their own, you think of them as units rather then part of a unit.

Quick question since I do not have my book with me, Nobles able to take Dragon Armor? Frankly I would give both of those nobles with a 2+ ward save v. Flaming.

Did you think about setting up an over run by those Reavers into the Sorcerer instead. This would pin it in place for a turn for the Dragon Princes to come in and clean him up. As it stands, you took care of him through ranged. However, you can not always depend on ranged and an opportunity to pin a highly mobile character for your hard hitters would have been tempting. You risk losing and breaking but then he would have been about where you shot him down anyway.

Hinge
[size=150][url=http://hingehammer.blogspot.com]Hinge Hammer Blog[/url][/size]

[url=http://www.rqgpodcast.com/]Rage Quit Gaming[/url]
Bra'tac SM

#30 Post by Bra'tac SM »

Nice win Swordmaster!

Unfortunately my regular opponent has a very nicely painted Daemon Prince model, so i don't think i can rely on that tactic for his Characters!

It seems you used your ranged attacks well, causing multiple panic checks outside of leadership or BSB bubbles. it seemed very frenetic, i'll need to look at it again when i'm less exhausted, but another great read, Nice to see them tabled (doesn't happen often) and many times better to see how good a sport your opponent was. People like that make the game so much more enjoyable, kudos to him!

Thanks again, looking forward to the next one!