Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Swed Comp Gm2 Empire!

#631 Post by Malossar »

Curu Olannon wrote:
Again some rustiness as my anointed is within a half inch of the phoenix and proceeds to fly off the table!
How did this happen? He is ItP :)

Because I'm rusty and forgot that my anointed is fine within 6 of the frosty because it's immune to psych haha.

Now the question remains. Which list? Or maybe something entirely different?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Malossar
Something Cool

#632 Post by Malossar »

Le sigh. Another take haha. I do thoroughly enjoy list building so we'll see how this works. Its again a similar concept to what I've been fielding however I've added a throw back to my 6th and 7th edition lists that seemed to work really well.

The concept is thus: Push with one flank when the opportunity arises play point denial with the rest. I've invested over 1500 points in what I consider hard to get points that standback or grind really well. The Level 2 is in for 3+ ward phoenix guard or for the utility that high magic brings (arcane unforging, flames, walk etc) while the loremaster acts as a mini can-opener but has a huge threat arc in casting as well as CC. Consider: what're you going to stop? 3+ ward phoenix guard or wyssans, ice shards, fireball on regeners, searing doom, spirit leech? This with the bolt throwers and the Pagowyrm are designed to grab easy points before the phoenix guard engage in a grind to win combats towards the end of games.

On the other hand we have my first and true love the Eagle Prince. Yes he's 305 points that isn't to difficult to claim but he's not a large target which makes hiding him easier. He's also solid in close combat where he can get after those awful skull cannons, ironblasters or lone characters. He can also act as a suicide runner when I'm squared off against dwellers! finally he can push with the helms on a flank or into the center. helms can accept challenges so he can slap a unit around or vice versa. The mobile LD 10 helps too.

Finally we have the shadow warriors. I wanted to take the uncomped Pagowyrm (-1 str like frostheart) which meant I needed to find some extra points. I considered the sisters role in the list. I was no longer super concerned with Regen (I've got fireball and shems, against chimeras I also have searing doom) and while the str 4 shooting was nice, they're easy points and aren't extremely mobile. I was also thought I was pretty light with pure redirectors which was a concern. Thus the shadow warriors made an entrance which I'm quite happy with!

And this comps at a 14.1...

Prince w. Heavy Armor, White Lion Cloak, Shield, Great Eagle, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm – 300 (-16)
Loremaster w. Giant Blade, Shield of the Merwyrm – 305 (-24)
Noble w. BSB, Reaver Bow, Pot of Strength, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armor – 149 (-18)
Mage w. Lvl 2, Golden Crown – 130 (Lore of High Magic) (-8)
Characters: 879 (-66)

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner, Champ - 158 (-7)
6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner, Champ - 158 (-7)
6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner, Champ - 158 (-10)
5x Ellyrian Reavers – 80 (-4)
5x Ellyrian Reavers – 80 (-6)
Core: 634 (-34)

23x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard – 420 (-27)
5x Shadow Warriors – 70 (-3)
Special: 490 (-30)

Bolt Thrower – 70 (-7)
Bolt Thrower – 70 (-9)
Bolt Thrower- 70 (-12)
Pagowyrm – 285 (-0)
Rare: 495 (-28)

Shots: 41/40 (-1)
Total: 2498 (14.1)
Last edited by Malossar on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#633 Post by Curu Olannon »

I like the Anointed list the most because I believe it to be more powerful than its comp score would lead one to believe. At first I didn`t understand the difference between and Anointed on Flamespyre and a Star Dragon but having seen Furion`s games I believe his strength is his ability to operate alone. With MR2 and ITP he doesn`t really fear a whole lot and shooting him is actually very dangerous: First of all it means there`s something else you`re not shooting at and secondly if the bird comes up again with the Anointed alive you`re in trouble, big trouble. Lastly, as I see the meta becoming more and more elf-friendly and msu DoC/LZ I believe Wake of Fire is a huge asset. Furthermore it counters congalines and similar funky formations extremely well.

The fact that the Flamespyre has flaming attacks and a higher initiative than its frostheart brother means that your ability to handle regen is also improved. Not drastically, but notably.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Malossar
Something Cool

#634 Post by Malossar »

My only problem with the first list is that once the anointed or frostheart go down its quite difficult to get points from the enemy. The Phoenix guard will likely be chaffed out at that point and my opponent can still win big with just those two models dead.

I think the Eagle Prince and Loremaster combo has the ability to play for the late game better than the Anointed. the loremaster is able to threaten often and early while the eagle prince either gets into position or hides from cannons!
John Rainbow

#635 Post by John Rainbow »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:My only problem with the first list is that once the anointed or frostheart go down its quite difficult to get points from the enemy. The Phoenix guard will likely be chaffed out at that point and my opponent can still win big with just those two models dead.

I think the Eagle Prince and Loremaster combo has the ability to play for the late game better than the Anointed. the loremaster is able to threaten often and early while the eagle prince either gets into position or hides from cannons!
I don't think the lists are that different in this regard. If the eagle prince and phoenix (wyrm) go down in this list you'll still have the same issue. I guess the Loremaster being a lord level caster mitigates this somewhat but we all know where relying on magic gets you when you most need it!
Malossar
Something Cool

#636 Post by Malossar »

John Rainbow wrote:
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:My only problem with the first list is that once the anointed or frostheart go down its quite difficult to get points from the enemy. The Phoenix guard will likely be chaffed out at that point and my opponent can still win big with just those two models dead.

I don't think the lists are that different in this regard. If the eagle prince and phoenix (wyrm) go down in this list you'll still have the same issue. I guess the Loremaster being a lord level caster mitigates this somewhat but we all know where relying on magic gets you when you most need it!

He is still str 7, 5 additional phoenix guard and the BsB packing the reaver bow gives more flexibility than the anointed I think. Its also easier for the loremaster to grab points.
Malossar
Something Cool

#637 Post by Malossar »

I have had 2 successful games on UB with this list. First against bowlined wood elves (12.5 on swed) and a nasty dark elf list (well nasty for swed with a 10.0)

Anointed w. Moltres, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness - 530 (-27)

Noble w. BsB, Sword of Antiheroes, Shield of the Merwrym, Dragon Armor - 150 (-14)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic - 120 (-10)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Obsidian Trinket - 135 (-10)

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-7)
6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-7)
6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-10)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-4)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-6)

24x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 435 (-27)

Bolt Throwers x 3 - 210 (-28)
Pagowrym - 285 (-0)

2499/2500
15.0 on swed

I love bonus points.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Mals Blog- 15.0 Swed list.

#638 Post by Curu Olannon »

Looks really strong for 15 points :) Any chance of a report from this list in action?

Malossar
Something Cool

#639 Post by Malossar »

Curu Olannon wrote:Looks really strong for 15 points :) Any chance of a report from this list in action?

I'm hoping to have a game by friday. Was going to attend a 3 game warm up event saturday but was unable to swin g the time off work.
Malossar
Something Cool

#640 Post by Malossar »

So I had a game on UB last night since my friday night opponent cancelled. I was playing against Brets with the character wall build, double treb and lvl 4 on beasts. His comp came in at 12.7.

Bret Lord on Steed w. HKB, ASF sword, Pot of Speed
Damsel Lvl 4, scroll

Paladin w. Lances, shields x 4
BsB w. Stuff

12x Errant Knights
12x Knights of the Realm
12x Knights of the Realm w. Flaming

14x Bowmen
3x5 Mounted Yeomen
3x Peg Knights
Double Treb.

This game was over Turn 1. With us both refusing each other and my bolt throwers deployed directly across his knights I was in a very strong position. I also had a unit of helms and reavers deployed in order to block the bolt throwers or get some counter charges off. I really should have taken pictures because I'm quite proud of this haha. Our own sandstorm was present for the game though so he can verify!!! ;)

So on Turn 1 I advance my phoenix guard and merwrym to stay on his immediate flank (his knight buses are all in the center next to each other). This effectively pins him in place. Does he advance to grab the warmachines exposing his flank to my combat units or does he wheel around to engage the phoenix guard but stay exposed to a bret players worst nightmare (str 4 armor piercing!) My anointed moves aggressively to threaten his trebs while my reavers do the same.

In magic I successfully cast walk between worlds on the Anointed and kill 3 yeomen before landing to threaten his second treb (i'm now only 15" away and the reavers are less than 5" from the other). My bolt throwers wreak havoc on his yeomen killing the wounded unit and blanking another. Awesome start.

My opponent decides on neither of my present options and kinda lollygags in the middle of the table advancing or wheeling only slightly. However he drops his lord out of the unit to play tickles with the anointed. I think this was a big mistake at this point in the game. His lord is now hanging out in no mans land leaving his knights with less strength and a very small threat arc with his LOS. His trebs scatter off and its high elf turn 2.

Silverhelm dart charges peg knights and kills one in combat. the pegs then break and are run down. Yay! Anointed kills a treb as does the other unit of reavers. In shooting I again kill his last unit of yeomen and 2 knights. My opponent is now left with absolutely no chaff and three kind of unwieldly units. The game continues with his lord trying to engage my anointed but I simply fly away flaming his units. He calls it after the top of 4 when the phoenix guard successfully flank his bsb's unit and with a super bsb I hack the unit apart in a single round overruning into the errant knights. I score everything but his bret lord and I would have still had 2 rounds of triple bolt throwers and arcane unforging to try and kill him. I only lost the pagowrym (sacrificed for the flank charge).

Great game and a nice opponent. Hopefully Gatti will finally live up to his promise of a game!
sandstorm

#641 Post by sandstorm »

Yeah was a very good game from what I saw, having lances that have to break something on the charge is hard when there is 3++ phoenix guard around. What does the pagowrym do again?
Malossar
Something Cool

#642 Post by Malossar »

Game against our own jwg20 in real life! Now since Gatti is starting up his own blog I allowed him to take pictures to do the battle report.

Jwg20 was proxying this list:

Vamp Lord, Lvl 3, Stuff and things (I know he at least had the curse of the revenant) on nightmare
Thrall, Lvl 2, Stuff and things on nightmare

40x Zombies
3x5 Dogs
40x Ghouls w. Champ

8x Crypt Horrors w. Champ
Bale Taurus with Tail Attack
6x Harpies
8x black knights

Terrorgiest.

Stay tuned to his blog: kurnionofchrace.blogspot.com for the full report!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#643 Post by SpellArcher »

Bale Taurus?

:shock:
Malossar
Something Cool

#644 Post by Malossar »

SpellArcher wrote:Bale Taurus?

:shock:

The tournament I'm prepping for allows you to take a monster under 350 points in your list and its also uncomped. I asked JWG to take the bale taurus as I'm sure it's going to be everywhere.

Fun fact: The Anointed on Flamespyre is really good at killing bale tauri.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#645 Post by Curu Olannon »

I would expect the k'daii destroyer and moon dragon to be popular as well. Any other usual suspects? Interesting concept ;)

Malossar
Something Cool

#646 Post by Malossar »

Game against Warriors of Chaos:

Disc Lord, 1+ armor, 3++ ward, great weapon.
General Lord, 1+ armor, 4+ ward, 2+ against fire, great weapon

Bsb 1+ rerolled, flame ward
Lvl 2 w. Fire, Skull Wand
Lvl 2 w. Death, Scroll

14x Tzeentch Warriors w. Shields, FC, Blasted Standard
Slaanesh Chariot
Slaanesh Chariot
5x Warhounds
5x Marauder Horsemen

3x Skullcrushers
Bale Taurus
6x Harpies

This game was one of missed opportunities. My opponent and I looked at each other's lists at the start and agreed that this one was going to be a coin flip either way for a small win, and in this game it broke in his favor. It ended with his general with one wound remaining, disc lord with one wound remaining, lvl 2 death with one wound remaining, bale taurus with one wound remaining and everything else dead. My phoenix guard were kept inefficient most of the game with me being unable to stop flame cage (3 IFs, one failed to cast) and not wanting to risk melting my mages to the hits.

My anointed was efficient this game at keeping his points. He flank charged the skull crushers and destroyed them. He then killed the BSB in close combat but was pinned in place the final turn by the chariot so he was unable to score another character kill.

In the end, I had the BSB, phoenix guard and anointed with 3 bolt throwers still standing. And I scored half points or kill everything meaning he was up by a mighty 157 points after factoring in comp (he was a 13). Meaning an 11-9 loss. Which I would be ok with at the event, but I feel I had plenty of chances to go out and win this one outright but oh well! It happens!
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015, Avoidance MSU

#647 Post by Malossar »

Here's my plan for 2015. Not quite perfect but it's a great start in my mind. Some of you have noticed that I've built my army in the theme of the Host of Nagarythe and I'm proud to now field the army on the table as its meant to be played. Since Alith Anar is a special character and almost every tournament bans SC I thought it prudent to bring the scouting prince with the reaver bow However that meant my first choice for magic was out the window (Loremaster w. Shadow Armor). I then opted ofr a mounted mage and ultimately decided on heavens for board control shenanigans. I kept the 3 eagle nobles to act as my Raven Guard (knights of old Nagarythe) in game they act as my heavy chaff removers and elite point grabbers (three of these in the flank of MC unit would be fantastic). The shooting platform is solid (i went for the skycutters mostly for theme, wait till you see what i've concoted, and also another bolt thrower is nothing to sneeze at in my mind. I need ways to grab points and these should help). Finally I opted for 2x7 Sword Masters fitting in with the old 6th edition fluff with the Secret War (rooting out DE and cultists) in game they'll act as bolt thrower protecters and combat multipliers.

Prince w. Shield, White Lion Cloak, Shadow Armor, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, MR2 - 249
Archmage, Lvl 4, Steed, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll - 310 (Lore of Heavens)

Noble w. Lance, Shield, Heavy Armor, White Lion Cloak, Great Eagle - 136
Battle Standard, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Pot of Fools, Dragon Armor, Great Eagle - 205

10x Ellyrian Reavers w. Bows and Spears, Musician and Standard - 210

9x Shadow Warriors - 126
Skycutter w. Bolt thrower - 120
Skycutter w. Bolt thrower - 120
7x Swordmasters - 91
7x Swordmasters - 91

Bolt Thrower x 4 - 280

Thoughts?
Last edited by Malossar on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015... Avoidance MSU

#648 Post by SpellArcher »

Top marks for originality Mal!

You appear to be a couple of Lords light however...

:)
Nicene

#649 Post by Nicene »

Hierotitan with Loremaster would be pretty sweet.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#650 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal,

It is definitely a different approach to MSU. I really like the theme of the army and I think it would look great on the battle field. Hopefully we can see some pictures of it, either assembled for the battle or even some snap shots from the game!

Let me try to go through each choice one by one to see if I understand what you are aiming for with that army.

The Prince - Not as good as Alith Anar of course but as you said, since Special Characters are not allowed you have to come up with your own. He will do well with his Reaver bow since he is BS7. It is huge difference in comparison to Noble version with BS6. I used to run BSB with it and I quickly found out that more often than not his efficiency is limited due to 4+ to hit in many situations (move, long range, multiple shot to begin with). Potion of Strength is very handy with or without the bow so that there is a lot of flexibility here. MR(2) is an interesting choice, since the theme is to avoid combats and keep moving and shooting then it is a good choice. And it helps his unit too! Since you have some points left I would consider halberd. It is very flexible weapon, S5 is better than S4 and you keep the re-rolls. And it is also important where it is worth risking taking the charge where you would have stand and shoot with reaver bow in particular when you also used potion of strength.

Archmage - Since you plan on moving around a lot, giving your mage a steed is a good idea, especially with 3 fast cavalry units there. He has a nice equipment although for a single caster I personally prefer earthing rod. It might be due to some really crazy behavior of my archmage and loremaster though :)

Choosing Heavens is very interesting choice indeed. This magic was recommended to me before but I have never had a chance to try it myself yet so I cannot speak from experience. It looks to me as a good magic lore that does not seem to be that overwhelming. Of course, well timed comet or chain lightning can do quite a substantial damage. On the other hand, iceshard, harmonic convergence and even curse are all very useful too. I would be very interested in seeing how this lore helps your particular army.

Eagle Riders - you said you have 3 of them so it seems you forgot to add great eagle mount to BSB. I find the mundane eagle riders very intriguing. They are like flying knights indeed with 2+ armor save. They are still vulnerable but I presume that if you base them on 50mm bases then they can at least start the game with reavers?

I was just wondering on the role of BSB in such an army. You prefer to avoid combats, so I think he will be helpful when you want to rally reavers for example. Or simply adding that +1 to the combats you are going to fight in later turns to grab more points. Would love to know your thoughts on his role in your army though!

Reavers - I have seen units of 10 Dark Riders and they are very useful. Unfortunately, reavers do not have repeating crossbows and can't have shields so I think you will need to focus on avoiding combats even more than dark kin. They will do great in hunting down some support units of the enemy and I guess one of the main roles would be to provide hiding place for the archmage.

Shadow Warriors - can't have the theme without these guys! Just a pity it is just a single unit. Is it due to lack of points? Or do you need other units/characters more? I would love to see two units of these guys so that you can limit vanguard of the enemy better and have two spots for your Prince to go to if you choose to do so.

Skycutters - that is very unexpected here but I think it might be great addition, not only due to all the fliers you already have. I believe the bolt throwers may be a very good addition too. Perceived threat is sometimes as good as real threat. People would need to take into account the consequences of exposing flanks to these bolt throwers even if more often than not they might need 5+ to hit. They also bring some versatility due to the fact they are chariots and can hit relatively hard. With 3 eagle riders you might actually isolate some targets and attack from above to great effect. Of course they will need to be used with caution due to their fragility.

Swordmasters - Interesting to see these guys here! Are you going to convert some models to fit the theme better? They can indeed be a good protection for the repeaters. However, they might be still vulnerable to skirmishers and fast cavalry with some shooting abilities. They are cheaper than cavalry but I wonder if small unit of silver helms would not be better here? They could also act as help in combats. Don't get me wrong, I am great fun of Swordmasters (surprise, surprise!) but I fear they might be quite vulnerable. Fluff wise they are of course fantastic for this army!

Bolt throwers - well, they are the "shooting" part of the army. Very popular for a reason. No wonder you want to protect them too since you took 4 of them. Can make the advancement of the enemy even more careful and I think it supplements fast units well. The enemy may have difficult choice to make if they want to chase your fliers/cavalry as it may force them to expose their regiments to bolt throwers. 4 of them can make even the toughest fliers shy (unless they sport some silly 3++ ward save). And with fast moving army in general, you should not have problems in getting clear line of sight.

In general your army has a decent number of drops so you may try to outdeploy the enemy. Vanguard for 3 units (unless joined by characters) can further help here and the fact you have 3 eagle riders can help to fool the slower enemy and change the direction of the attack. You will try to move around and pick only the fights where you can win quickly. It is possible with fast moving army but since your units (and even characters) are fragile you have to make sure there are not many attacks back.

You may have tough time against small arms in good numbers. WE or DE with their glade guards and dark shards may be a problem. However, being patient and being able to cast some thunderbolts, chainlightnings and comets may help to tip the scales into your favor. I think you will need to be very precise with movement even if your army is fast. Simply because if you go to the open these units can be quickly destroyed. Also, anticipating the moves of the enemy will be important to position reavers for their feigned flight.

I think the enemy might try to hunt down the Prince as he may seem to be vulnerable. He can operate alone though (risky but sometimes doable) and I would love to see him doing that too! But in case the enemy has means to do so (magic missiles, shooting etc.) you definitely need to find a safe spot for him. One thing I was wondering about is that when he operates solo he may use terrain to much better effect.

The challenge you may face is that this army is good at avoiding and shooting but it may be hard to get points. 4 bolt throwers will do damage but not always enough to kill entire units, in particular cheap infantry. You may have trouble in getting the points from damaged regiments but fortunately you have fliers to hunt them down and your archmage can help here too.

This army is not as nasty as similar version of DE with warlocks, dark riders, bolt throwers and peg riders so hopefully your opponents will not complain about it. However, I would expect that to happen sometimes as in general, armies that shoot and avoid combat are not liked.

I am looking forward to reading about some games with this army so hopefully there will be some reports in the making in the future.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#651 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel the safety of the Archmage in the Reavers is a slight concern. He can switch between units but some enemies (elves) might be able to MM the unit and then shoot it off in one turn. One idea is to replace the 4++ with MR3. Another is to take High Magic for Shield. The spells will be generally useful. I like the look of Death here. Soulblight and D&D make your shooting more dangerous and obviously the snipes and Purple Sun are fantastic on a mobile caster.
Malossar
Something Cool

#652 Post by Malossar »

Great synopsis swordmaster. I know that the list may struggle to get points but what would you do to rectify that? I guess I had envisioned my shooting doing most of the killing with the eagle noble trio swooping in for the kill once they're down to manageable size. The skycutters were a choice I continually go back and forth on, they're still a chariot which helps to clear pesky fast cav and they're an additional bolt thrower. I think they'll do fine as a potentially mobile platform but more often than not can hang back and hit on 4s but can fly over stuff when they need to...

I had considered death Spellarcher but figured I'd be getting enough dirty looks for playing an avoidance list that it'd be best to skip it. I know that Dark Elves and wood elves do this better but I think we can make this work. The reaver bow is a great tool dark elves don't have and wood elves of course don't have the advantage of bolt throwers. If you're a wood elf player do you target eagle nobles (capable of removing units of elves on their own), prince, lvl 4, or the bolt throwers that are skewering your squishy elves?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#653 Post by SpellArcher »

Well, given that HE avoidance isn't highly rated guys might consider that nets off against the Death.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#654 Post by Curu Olannon »

I applaud the initiative Mal, but believe me when I say you will have a difficult time ahead of you ;)

I'm curious as to what you envisage your Reavers will be doing. I've tried this setup in just a game or two and while their flexibility was great, they don't do anything but stay alive (which you can't always be assured of either). True, they provide great bunkers for running around, but Heavens doesn't really require you to close in at all. I'd definitely go for death here, given the nature of the rest of the list I can't see anyone seeing this as hard. I also second the recommendation of swapping out the 4++ for MR3.

What I don't understand in this list is your special section. Skycutters and Swordmasters are basically just slow and weak elements without any punch that I don't see you'll utilize. Have you considered taking advantage of the new 50% allocation rules to perhaps spend these points on more characters instead? I don't think any of our special choices suit what you are trying to do here. Possibly Dragon Princes, but they are also fragile and an easy source of points.

By cutting the Swordmasters and Skycutters you are saving 422 points, allowing you to field a cavprince + third Eagle Noble, for example. The Cavprince is very viable on his own in the context of your list, whereas a third Eagle Noble will basically just improve what you already have. You can tool him with up TOTS and Star Lance to provide some real hitting power.

Malossar
Something Cool

#655 Post by Malossar »

I'm assuming since Warhammer is already Comphammer that 50% won't be allowed at many events. Hopefully that changes but you never know. Like I said the SM and skycutters are there for mostly theme. I did play the dark elf dark steed spam list last night on UB and my bolt throwers + reaver bow prince had a field day. Will try and get a full report up soonish but no guarantees.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#656 Post by Curu Olannon »

Putting comp on some extremes is something I'm a big fan of, but I can't see why mounted Nobles on Great Eagles would be breaking the game in any way. Here's to hoping that your local meta won't adapt a restrictive comp set just because ;)

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#657 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:Great synopsis swordmaster. I know that the list may struggle to get points but what would you do to rectify that? I guess I had envisioned my shooting doing most of the killing with the eagle noble trio swooping in for the kill once they're down to manageable size. The skycutters were a choice I continually go back and forth on, they're still a chariot which helps to clear pesky fast cav and they're an additional bolt thrower. I think they'll do fine as a potentially mobile platform but more often than not can hang back and hit on 4s but can fly over stuff when they need to...
I would play games and see if that is really the problem! You are going to use an unique army that no one has used before so it is natural that all the discussion you get is just theory hammer. Ideas need to be tested. Then you can change things if you need to but I would try to play more games first to get the feeling how the army works against different opponents, with different scenarios etc.

You will learn a lot simply by trying and experience from the games is priceless. I am also sure you will discover things that were not perceived by anybody. It is simply due to the fact you are using an original force and you are a pioneer.

I hope you will be able to provide some reports too, I am very interested in seeing this army performing. Last but not least, winning big may not be the priority. It depends on the personal goals and type of games you are playing. For example, if you are happy with small victories the same as with big ones, then there is no problem at all. On the other hand, if you play by the book where there is only win/lose/draw option then that army might do even better!

Good luck and have fun!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Iluvatar

#658 Post by Iluvatar »

This is indeed a very interesting list, one we don't see in action usually. I can't provide advice, but I can provide encouragement - I'll be following your thread (more than usual) to see how you develop this idea! :)
John Rainbow

#659 Post by John Rainbow »

Interesting list Mal. I find myself agreeing with Curu here. I don't see too much damage potential in the list outside of the bolt throwers and I imagine you will find it hard to protect them in a lot of matchups without sacrificing too much. Either way I wish you well with it and look forward to being proved wrong!
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015... Avoidance MSU ETC take

#660 Post by Malossar »

With the ETC discussing allowing both special characters AND the new expanded allowance for characters I'd thought I'd make a rough draft of the Avoidance MSU for the comp:

Prince w. Add Hand Weapon, White Lion Cloak, Shadow Armor, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, MR2 - 249
Archmage, Lvl 4, Steed, MR 3, Dispel Scroll, Khaines Ring of Fury - 335 (Lore of Beasts)
Alith Anar - 250

Battle Standard, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Pot of Fools, Dragon Armor, Great Eagle - 205

9x Ellyrian Reavers w. Bows and Spears, Musician and Standard - 191

8x Shadow Warriors - 112

Bolt Thrower x 4 - 280
6x Sisters of Avelorn - 84

Yes you read it right. Lore of Beasts! I love the lore and think it has a decent enough place in the list. Look at all those characters, tell me you wouldn't be sh!tt!ng a brick as a dark elf if you were facing a savage beasts Alith Anar and a Prince with two hand weapons!