Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mals Blog- Return of the (Eagle) King

#601 Post by SpellArcher »

As WE players we face very similar challenges building fighting characters as Mal does with his Eagle Prince. Ie we are pretty much limited to the BRB items and a monster or MC character has to consider cannon. Additionally, WE's have no access to mundane Heavy Armour, which makes the Ward save magic armours attractive because you get +1 AS for free as it were. I've been through loads of builds for horsed and GS characters and there are no easy answers, you have to compromise defence or hitting power or both.

As far as Banner of Swiftness goes, I see this as a good utility banner for when there is no other stand-out choice. I get that it makes the PG more capable of attacking fast but I think Razor is more important. WS5 S4 ASF attacks in three ranks are pretty good against most things but as soon as they run into 1+ AS for example, AP makes a big difference.
Malossar
Something Cool

#602 Post by Malossar »

Axiem wrote:
It looks like a start! A couple of questions however:

a) Archmage: you've mentioned High Magic, but if you do, your comp might take more of a hit, unless you've already figured for both High and PG + High into the total amount? Maybe another Lore is in order? I could see Metal working here quite nicely, especially if you're not going to put her in the Phoenix Guard. Where are you planning on putting her, or are you keeping your options open between Sisters and Phoenix Guard?
b) Noble: Why Sword of Might + Golden Crown instead of Sword of Anti-Heroes + Potion of Speed? I expect, especially in Swedish, players will stock up on characters more, considering they generally are less comp than the commonly-taken units. They also represent a generally safe-haven for points. Dragon Armor and High Magic, and Shield of the Merwyrm is plenty enough to keep the Noble alive, in my opinion since Snipers and Death are largely hit by comp, and Sword of Anti-Heroes makes him a lot more killy, helping the Phoenix Guard against busses and stars.
c) More general: what do you want the list to do? Is it going to be a point denial + pickoff things at ranged and with Eagle Prince, list or are you going to try to push across the board? What's your strategy for winning, not just play style? I would say that the Spears aren't going to appeal to your aggressive tendencies, and don't really pair well with the rest of the list: you have the Eagle Prince and Frostheart to both act as blockers as well, making the Spears more redundant. If you weren't going to take the Frosty, I would agree with the Spear's inclusion but otherwise I think Archers + Reavers is better here.
Now its moving towards the reigning US Masters list. Eternal Flame on the Spears for Troll duty. Your Prince is mounted and you've got the Phoenix but I still feel the second block makes it a little more defensive.
I agree, but as we're both raising, it's a move towards passivity. Are you ok with this?

Also, don't forget to also list your Prince's Eagle!

Axiem

Oops! Forgot to add Lore of High Magic to the Archmage! I did consider metal and heavens for awhile, mainly because metal provides a little shock and awe value with final transmutation and searing doom, then heavens for the anti flyer and iceshards abilities and they're's nothing like the look on your opponent's face when a frostheart is rerolling attacks or they're having to reroll their 6s to wound the beast!

However Heavens is probably the best support lore out there. Apotheosis, Drain Magic, Hand of Glory, and Walk between worlds are the game changers while arcane unforging and fiery convocation are extremely effective when they happen. I can't think of a lore with more pure support value than High Magic especially when being combined with a sister and a handmaiden who are already ignoring movement penalties for shooting! (Take that Spellarcher ;))

That's a great point about what I want the list to do. Here's some thoughts:

What i'm looking for is a mobile shooting and mini avoidance style list that is decent in close combat. Even with the characters in the phoenix guard they're still a point denial unit that is able to grind better than win big. I envisioned them tackling units that just can't be killed at range with shooting/magic and in a swedish style comp system shooting is hit pretty hard for the points as are flying characters or monsters. This has left me reeling in how I want to build the list and win.

I'm fine with passive play as long as I get to act in the movement phase. I've been playing tomb kings a lot recently which is a fun change but not getting to at least march is pretty agitating!

Edit: Thought I'd clean up the lists:

Prince w. Heavy Armor, Shield, White Lion Cloak, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Great Eagle - 305 (-16)

Archmage, Lvl 4, Talisman of Endurance, Scepter of stability - 265 (High Magic)

Handmaiden of the Everqueen w. Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength - 140
Noble, BSB, Heavy Armor, Sword of might, Shield of the Merywrym, Golden Crown - 149

6x Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148
5x Reavers w. Bows, Spears - 95
5x Reavers w. Bows, Spears - 95

18x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 345
5x Shadow Warriors - 70

13x Sisters - 182
Bolt Thrower - 70
Bolt Thrower - 70
Frostheart - 240

Prince w. Heavy Armor, Shield, White Lion Cloak, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Great Eagle - 305 (-16)

Archmage, Lvl 4, Talisman of Endurance, Scepter of stability - 265 (Lore of High Magic)

Handmaiden of the Everqueen w. Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength - 140
Noble, BSB, Heavy Armor, Sword of might, Shield of the Merywrym, Golden Crown - 149

30x Spears w. Full Command, Flaming - 310

20x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 375
5x Shadow Warriors - 70

13x Sisters - 182
Bolt Thrower - 70
Bolt Thrower - 70
Frostheart - 240

2492, 11.0
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#603 Post by SpellArcher »

Take it where?

:lol:

2nd list is under min Core.
Malossar
Something Cool

#604 Post by Malossar »

SpellArcher wrote:Take it where?

:lol:

2nd list is under min Core.

Moving and shooting without penalties... something other elves used to be able to do ;)

OH! champs on the helms my bad.

Had a thought: 2x10 Reaver units. I know sounds crazy! But consider the following:

Reavers are excellent redirectors and are a decent mobile firing base. Key word being decent. With other targets appearing more vulnerable or requiring attention first they might attract more shooting from the get go. They'll also be pretty easy on swedish. I can do either with bows or with a combo and take 2 silver helm darts with banners to fill out the core section which would save me 9 points on swed.

Just a thought!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#605 Post by SpellArcher »

Well, Trueflight and Hagbane don't care so much but point taken!

:)

A bit like Dark Elves? Gives you more mobile units to home the Prince as well I guess.
Malossar
Something Cool

#606 Post by Malossar »

SpellArcher wrote:Well, Trueflight and Hagbane don't care so much but point taken!

:)

A bit like Dark Elves? Gives you more mobile units to home the Prince as well I guess.

It is a little dark elfy isn't it? I wonder if a flamespyre is a viable choice in the list given the emphasis on ranged impact rather than straight up combat but idk. It would save a solid 20 in swedish.

Maybe I just need to stick to my tomb kings when playing swedish comp hahaha
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#607 Post by Curu Olannon »

What about double Flamespyre Mal? Do you think perhaps an Anointed on a Flamespyre could replace the Eagle Prince? Damage output is comparable (probably slightly favouring the Anointed), defense is massively in favour of the Anointed (2++ vs magic and re-rollable armour save). It does cost you your L4, but double L2s can still make a big impact.

Without calculating SWE-comp value, I`m thinking something like this:

Anointed on Flamespyre, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone

L2 High Magic
L2 High Magic
BSB

Core - Archers, Reavers? Alternatively Reavers, Helms?

Special - PG

Rare - RBTs and second Flamespyre

Double Flamespyre with maxed RBTs allow you to play a game with solid ranged presence. Wake of Fire x2 presents a difficult problem for many armies to deal with, doubly so with Apotheosis, Phoenix Reborn and Walk Between Worlds backup.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Malossar
Something Cool

#608 Post by Malossar »

What about something like this:

Anointed w. Moltres, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness - 530 (-27)

Noble w. BsB, Sword of Antiheroes, Shield of the Merwrym, Pot of Speed, Dragon Armor - 155 (-14)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Scepter of Stability - 135 (-8)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Obsidian Trinket - 135 (-8)

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-6)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-4)

18x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 340 (-15)

Bolt Throwers x 3 - 210 (-28)
8x Sisters of Averlorn - 112 (-6)
Frostheart Phoenix - 240 (-40)

42 Shots - (-2)

Total: 179/ 12.1
d

Had some weird points left over so threw the MR 1 on the mage... Thought it'd help without a scroll.

So i think this list has some righteous fury style potentional. Frost and flame can combine for effective combats while the phoenix guard provide a solid center. Helms and reavers act as chaff and I have my solid shooting base.

Thoughts?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#609 Post by Curu Olannon »

I think this is a really interesting list, Mal! I would be tempted to get a second noble to push those mages into rank 2, but I can see that this will be very, very hard points-wise. Besides, you`ve spent the Shield so a 4++ is expensive. I really like the Trinket, huge fan of 2++ vs magic PG. Would you consider dropping a sister for Opal Amulet on one of the mages? It makes it that much more likely he`ll survive a round of combat (which, if you`re charged, means you get to cast before he goes away at least). Furthermore its stacking with Shield of Saphery means it`s great value for 15 points :)

Malossar
Something Cool

#610 Post by Malossar »

Thanks Curu! Outside of some tweeking I think'll just be sticking with this for the forseeable future as I get geared up for Grail Quest in November. got permission from the wife AND work today haha.

I Might drop the scepter and trinket and instead rock the +1 to dispel arcane item. Might shore up some of the weaknesses without running a scroll.

First game against jwg20 tomorrow1
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Mals Blog- I choose you! Articuno and Moltres

#611 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal!
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:First game against jwg20 tomorrow1
Are you guys going to play on UB? If yes, what time? Would love to watch it live! :mrgreen:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#612 Post by Malossar »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Hi Mal!
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:First game against jwg20 tomorrow1
Are you guys going to play on UB? If yes, what time? Would love to watch it live! :mrgreen:

Nope we have an in person game!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#613 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:Nope we have an in person game!
Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#614 Post by Malossar »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:Nope we have an in person game!
Pictures or it didn't happen! :)

I don't think he'll let me! He's going to be prioxing a goodly portion of his army!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#615 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Tell him I kindly requested some, no need to zoom in too much. Besides, you can focus on taking pictures of your own Flamespyre and great looking army!

Anyway, you guys have fun! Great to know two Ulthuan members are going to have a game. Looking forward to reading about the highlights!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Malossar
Something Cool

#616 Post by Malossar »

Snuck in a game against a friend in California last night! I just moved across the United States to Maryland. Its a nice move with a great job but I miss my warhammer friends!

Here was his list:

Goblin Warboss – opal amulet, shield – 83
NG Warboss – warrior bane – 60
3x NG Warboss – great weapon – 3 x 61
NG Great Shaman – Lvl 4, dispel scroll – 200

NG Big Boss – BSB, discipline, great weapon – 74
7x NG Big Boss – great weapon – 7 x 34
NG Big Boss – Tormentor Sword – 35
5x Goblin Big Boss – wolf, spear, shield

40 NG – FC, nets, 3 fanatics, short bows – 270
40 NG – FC, nets, 3 fanatics, short bows – 270
20 Goblins – shields, 2 nasty skulkers – 90

30 squigs – 20 goblins – 300

2 lobbas – 170
2 doom divers – 160
2 manglers – 130

And mine:

Anointed w. Moltres, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness - 530 (-27)

Noble w. BsB, Sword of Antiheroes, Shield of the Merwrym, Pot of Speed, Dragon Armor - 155 (-14)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Scepter of Stability - 135 (-8)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Obsidian Trinket - 135 (-8)

18x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 340 (-15)

Frostheart Phoenix - 240 (-40)

42 Shots - (-2)

Total: 179/ 12.1

Deployment saw him castle up in the center with the bunkers hiding behind the squig horde.

This game can be summed up in a couple of ways. One animosity sucks haha. MY anointed on turn 2 did a fly over one of the night goblin buses doing 23 hits and 15 wounds! awesome! However, it left me exposed by said bus, but my opponent proceeded to roll a 1 on animosity followed up by another 1 ending that hope haha.

It was a pretty quick game. Two helm darts with the frostheart take down the squig horde while reavers angle in to kill the warmachines that didn't kill themselves ( he lost a lobba and a doomdiva to misfires). Frosheart and shooting dropped the bunker while the phoenix guard tackled a bus. I t cost me two mages but I think it was worth it. It came down to turn 6 with me getting the win via shooting (again) on the final bus which ended it.

I lost:
Helmdart
Reavers
Mages

Its worth noting that the game was much closer than the final score. The other two helm darts had the banner bearers left. The Reavers has 2 guys left. The phoenix guard were down to 10 and the frostheart had 2 wounds left. So the final score wasn't representative of the game I feel.

Goblins were tabled (barely).

Things that went well:

High magic and phoenix guard! 3++ ward save is just stupid. I aughed when I saw his list with my BsB packing the sword of anti heroes. At one point he was rocking 6 attacks at strength 7! Shooting is just right. Having hand of glory with the sisters and 3 bolt throwers has enough of presence on the field without feeling like my opponent is getting frustrated.

To improve:

Probably shouldn't have taken apotheosis over walk between worlds. I think that its a better spell and would have had a bgger impact over the course of the game.
Ambrosius

Re: Mals Blog- I choose you! Articuno and Moltres Game 1 Gob

#617 Post by Ambrosius »

What part of Maryland, Mal? I'm in Pennsylvania just over the state line, about 20 minutes north of Cumberland.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#618 Post by Malossar »

Annapolis area (20 miles south ) but I don't mind traveling a bit especially for tournaments
Crankiebrell

#619 Post by Crankiebrell »

Mal, I love reading your reports. I was actually using one in reference recently to an issue we had. Welcome to Maryland, we just won 3rd place in a national poll of states people most want to get the hell out of! :D Even GW ran to Tennessee of all places. Have you found a place you like to play yet? We may have already met and I had no idea.

Pasadena has Lake Shore GW store. Small but gets the job done.
Bowie has the new/old bunker. Dropped from 30 tables to 6 and open banker hours. No longer a fan.
Owings Mills has another GW but not worth trip from Annapolis.
Glen Burnie has Drop zone Games in the former location of GW north America HQ.
Also has Games and Stuff. DZ is where most of us that remain tend to congregate for Fantasy onTues nights. NOVA, Adepticon, and some other recent event winners tend to hang out. You should come out if thou haven't, we are trying to rebuild the fantasy scene locally, 8th edition release was well as the old bunker closing hurt us but been rebuilding since Drop zone opened.

Within driving distance is also Titan Games near Towson. Outside the Box in New Jersey is a bit of a ride but well run events about monthly and theres Showcase Comics in Media PA.
Malossar
Something Cool

#620 Post by Malossar »

What time on Tuesday nights? That was super helpful crankiebell! This Tuesday I'm teaching a class in Connecticut but am always looking for games and don't mind traveling for even a pickup game!

Which report did you use and what was the issue haha? That's great that this was actually helpful for someone! :lol:
Malossar
Something Cool

#621 Post by Malossar »

Well with the new Swed Beta comp out my list took a sizeable hit. Dropping from a 12.1 to a 10.8! I still think this list is a good one and I'll probably stick with it for the foreseeable future as it has everything I think a high elf needs to be successful in a GT (board control, combat and solid shooting base).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r9np2e6mzmrwh ... a.pdf?dl=0

Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Scepter of Stability - 135 (-10)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Obsidian Trinket - 135 (-10)

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-7)
6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-10)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-6)

18x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 340 (-17)

Frostheart Phoenix - 240 (-44)

42 Shots - (-2)

Total:192/10.8

Thoughts about tweeking?
Last edited by Malossar on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Rainbow

Re: Mals Blog- New Swedish Beta is Out... hits me pretty har

#622 Post by John Rainbow »

Sweet that you're not in a similar area to some of the rest of us!
Within driving distance is also Titan Games near Towson. Outside the Box in New Jersey is a bit of a ride but well run events about monthly and theres Showcase Comics in Media PA.
These stores are all ones I know people from too and they all have a good WFB scene.
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- New Swedish Beta is Out... hits me pretty har

#623 Post by Malossar »

First game in over a month with my army! How did I do?

My list:

Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Scepter of Stability - 135 (-10)
Mage w. Level 2, High Magic, Obsidian Trinket - 135 (-10)

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148 (-10)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-6)

18x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 340 (-17)

Frostheart Phoenix - 240 (-44)

42 Shots - (-2)

Total:192/10.8

My Opponents List:

ARch Lector on War altar
Lvl 3 Light Wizard B. Steed
BsB on B. Steed
Engineer

13x Inner Circle Knights w. FC
2x5 Knights w. Musician

4x Demis
4x Demis
Hurricanum

Cannon
Stank
Hellblaster

To be fair my opponent was not tailoring for Swed comp but as a fun exercise I thought I'd run his list through and it came up as a 5.1.

Deployment:

My opponent manages to outdeploy me and I end up with my Phoenix Guard away from his character bus...

Emp 1:

He cautiously advances. Magic sneaks a few non important spells through. Shooting is a different story. I after not having played for a month realize that my vanguard strayed my reavers just within 24" of the hellblaster and they're pulled. Cannon blows up a bolt thrower and the stank puts 4 wounds on the phoenix. Ouch!

HE 1:

Whelp better shuffle a bit. Helms charge knightly realm unit to clear. In magic I only get drain through after apotheosis and walk between worlds are stopped. Shooting sees a bolt thrower deal 2 wounds to the stank and the sisters put two wounds on the hurricanum. Combat my knights fluff and his actually kill two of mine! I lose but hold.

Emp 2:

No charges as his lines shuffle. Stank moves just far enough to see the frosty again. Magic has a shems kill one of my bolt throwers. Shooting has the cannon kill a single reaver and the stank kills the frosty. Again some rustiness as my anointed is within a half inch of the phoenix and proceeds to fly off the table! >.<

HE2:

Well time to gamble! Phoenix guard into stank helms into knightly order. I lose a combined 4 helms from the charge into the woods... Magic gets me down to a 3+ ward again. In combat i deal single wound to the stank and my silverhlems (8) fail to kill a single knight he holds on a 5.

Emp 3:

His stank blows up (50/50) and rolls a 5 on the d3 detonating the stank. I lose a single phoenix guard. His demis flank the helms and the rest of his army flees the wrath of the phoenix guard.

That's about the game. He runs away and I fail to catch. In the end I gave up 1600 VP to his 800 and the comp difference made up for 500ish meaning a 12-8 loss to the high elves.

List musings coming up!
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Swed Comp Gm2 Empire!

#624 Post by Malossar »

I'll elaborate more tomorrow but this is a list i'm anxious to try:

High Archmage Lvl 4, Talisman of Preservation, Fencers Blades, Scepter of Stability - 315
Loremaster, Giant Blade, Shield of the Merwyrm, Potion of Speed - 310

Bsb Reaver Bow, Pot of Str, Enchanted Shield, Dragon Armor - 155

5x Reavers - 80
5x Reavers - 80
6x Helms w. Shields, Banner, Champ -158

25x Phoenix Guard w. FC, Razor Standard -450
5x Shadow Warriors - 70

3x Bolt Throwers
Frost Heart
8x Sisters

I know super different than the previous list but damn it looks like stealth filth. The NE USA seems dominated by death stars so I might as well take a 3+ ward one ;) The Loremaster is acting as a pseudo prince that can cast wyssans, iceshards, and threaten with searing doom in early rounds.

Essentially this comes in at an 8.9. But! Grail Quest is allowing one monster from the Monstrous Arcanum to be taken as an uncomped element to the list. I could easily add in a pagowyrm to fill the same roll as the frostheart and bring the list to a 12.9 :shock:
Kakwah

#625 Post by Kakwah »

Hi Mate.

I have a couple of Swedish Comp events coming up over Christmas and am looking at a very similar list.

I am basically dropping the Loremaster and the BSB and adding Caradryn, a level 2 (probably on beasts or maybe Metal) and a SeaHelm BSB. I think it looks pretty solid points denial style list. 3++ PG are amazing.

The hardest decision I am finding is whether to run a prince or Annointed for the S7 or run Caradryn for the d3 wounds. I think Caradryn comes out in front with the s5(AP) and the d3 wounds, as well as 4++ and MR1 for the PG
Malossar
Something Cool

#626 Post by Malossar »

So I'm a little stuck in regards to where to take the list from here. I posted the phoenix star list last night in an attempt to discuss something different. I think it is a very strong list that's capable of doing just about anything on the table. It answers armor, avoidance and aggressive lists with ease and with a 3+ ward save is able to push against gunlines while handling the shooting.

And then I realized its almost a carbon copy of the US Masters winning list. Not necessarily a bad thing but I think a lot of people are going to know how to beat it after having seen it do well in competition. Which brings me back to the anointed list.

This is one is comping at an 11 once I swap the Reavers back down to just spears and add champs to the silverhelms. If I again drop the frostheart for the pagowyrm I'm comping at a 15 which I think is incredible given the strength of the list. What I don't like is that I'm susceptible to warmachine fire. Playing in a TLOS really hurts the list, but playing in a swedish comp event especially where the first few games I'll be playing in the lower brackets might be very beneficial. The question that I keep coming back to though is do I have an answer for most lists out there? And I think the answer is no. Even if the anointed and frostheart survive I'm not sure I'm able to tackle all of the armor thrown at me in my last game. I think I'll also struggle against skaven, lizards and Orcs with a lack of bodies to take the early turn barrages and still have enough to survive once I reach combat.

Suffice it to say I feel like i'm stuck in a bit of limbo. The Deathstar is going to be frustrating for people to play against but I can't think of a better list right now to try out. The archmage and the loremaster should turn the unit into either a blender or a point denial nightmare but will I still have friends at the end of the event? :lol:
Cealyne

#627 Post by Cealyne »

Hello Mal!
I have a few comments...
First, I like the lists! Both annointed and phoenix star. A question though about your game against empire. U said your annointed panicked off the board? I thought he was immune to psych? Just a thought cause if I'm right ( don't have book with me ) but that would have changed the game if he didn't flee or perhaps shouldn't have.
Secondly, I don't think your list is a carbon copy of the US masters list. Look as follows...
No prince- u have a loremaster. More versitile but no prince, S7 or not.
No handmaiden- u don't have anything in place either ( well maybe frosty for points but I'll get to that )
No sea helm- just a reg shooty bsb, fun!
No suppo lvl 2- albeit u have the loremaster...
No spears
U also included the frosty. Which points are prob close to the lvl 2 and handmaiden, we his lvl 1. Your list is similar in a few ways but I think u have taken it a slightly diff way. Which I think is great! The fast core is excellent! Backed up by the speed of the frosty is sooo helpful, and u have a rock hard combat unit that just shy of dwellers or another nuke spell is nigh impossible to shift. More so with the loremasters spells. 3+ ward save, with +1 S T, + 1-3 WS and potential to have the enemy unit -1 to hit! That's unstoppable! My main concern though is u have no spare place to put the characters. Sisters are too small, they'll be blasted off in no time. So u have to rock this as a deathstar. Which I feel loses flexibility. I would honestly say maybe arrange core a bit diff or drop frosty.
Core could be switched to add some archers or spears if that floats your boat.
Dropping frosty u could get more sisters and another bolt thrower, which I feel is a better choice for this list build. Sure skaven might suck to play but storm banner never lasts all game and u could get hand of glory on a unit of 15+ sisters! Boom dead stuff!
Last point, I also live in the NE USA. Ohio, close to cleveland. Quite a few events in this neck of the woods in the US.
Cheers!
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Crankiebrell

#628 Post by Crankiebrell »

Hey Mal,

Was good to meet and play against you, sorry my army is a work in progress, as shown in the pics. I am truly shocked that my list is a 5 on swede comp, no way id call that! I honestly felt i took a pretty tame list, minus the 1+ dominance of saves.

My deployment was in response to in my mind seeing all of your darts as reavers, even though you clearly told me which was which, in my mind i still i saw them as fast cav probably due to playing more than my share of dark elves locally. It still worked out for me as i have a tendency to over extend myself with a list that is supposed to be played defensively early and let the war machines do some work.

Cealyne seems to be correct, the Anointed of Asuryan(sp?) special rule gives a 6+ ward and immune to psych to unit it joins... the phoenix considered the unit? Does it get a 6+ ward? I was scared of the anointed doing its flame attack on the bus having 3 ranks and all. I dont know if i had anything besides war machines and stank that could tackle it. It would have been a big difference to the game as his running cleared that flank of all but the depleted reavers and helms.

In this game I think a lot of success hinged on my dice being hot and you rolling an abundance of 1s, especially for casting spells. I made a lot of saves against str 5 in this game. I got greedy with the stank, wanting to use 3 dice to grind and 2 to use the steam gun into combat with the PG. that unit with a dominance of 3+ ward shrugged off everything that hit it including that miscast detonation, and later a 30 (3 misfire roll) shot from the hellblaster after previously shrugging off a 18 hit it. That block is rough. it doesnt even need the dragon banner!

After seeing what that unit shrugged off, there was no way i was hitting it with my IC knights or even the griffs. I pulled the antics i usually see elf players do and danced my units around to avoid losing points in the end.

Was a fun game and one i honestly didnt expect to be competitive against. Hopefully the local scene picks up again soon, Saturday a bunch of guys are heading up to Outside the Box in Jersey. I dont think ill be attending, was supposed to be last weekend but they changed date and i have some things i need to take care of if im going to have the time to head up. Hope to play ya again sometime!

-C
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#629 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the report! Always great to see forum members having fun together. I am obviously the most happy with the fact that secret santa BSB is waving his flag proudly during the real game! :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#630 Post by Curu Olannon »

Again some rustiness as my anointed is within a half inch of the phoenix and proceeds to fly off the table! >.<
How did this happen? He is ItP :)