John Rainbow's Adventures - Short Tournament Report

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NexS

Re: John Rainbow's Adventures

#451 Post by NexS »

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes! Lots of movement. Walk between worlds will be gold here.
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
John Rainbow

#452 Post by John Rainbow »

NexS wrote:Looking forward to seeing how this one goes! Lots of movement. Walk between worlds will be gold here.
Thanks NexS. I'll take some pics and get a review done after the event on Saturday. I haven't played competitively since the Spring so I imagine I'll be a bit rust and I have no idea what the meta is at the moment in New Jersey - I've never played there before...
NexS

#453 Post by NexS »

I'm from the big island in the sea, and really only know that my last tournament in melbourne saw lots of lizards(when I, too took them), so I was lucky to only have to play against one other Lizardmen force. That's about as "meta" ish as I can comment on.

Good luck in New Jersey, I feel that your list should be able to deal with many different kinds of armies. Hordes would be better for you than ranks, but you've got reavers and eagles to protect your monster flanks.

The only concern I see is that your BSB hasn't got much protection other than the shield of saphery and will be in B2B with enemies who will want to single him out with pleb attacks (assuming you'll be hiding your mage in the second rank).
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
John Rainbow

#454 Post by John Rainbow »

NexS wrote:The only concern I see is that your BSB hasn't got much protection other than the shield of saphery and will be in B2B with enemies who will want to single him out with pleb attacks (assuming you'll be hiding your mage in the second rank).
I'm concerned too but there isn't much I can do about it. I have exactly 100pts (the eagles) that I can play around with to try and get something else in without removing other kit. This makes it really hard to get another noble in to sit in the front rank. I'm actually not sure the eagles are worth it (who ever thought I would type that sentence!) but we shall see. As I said, this is my attempt to get back into the tournament scene so I fully expect to get crushed in a game or two :)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#455 Post by Curu Olannon »

Noble on Barded Steed: Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, 97 points ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
John Rainbow

#456 Post by John Rainbow »

Curu Olannon wrote:Noble on Barded Steed: Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, 97 points ;)
I guess I should have said that I couldnt find a loadout that seemed to be worth the points. Do you think this guy is really worth it above the two eagles? He has basically the same kit as the BSB so is just a bodyguard. Is this the most effective use of those points?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#457 Post by Curu Olannon »

I have very little experience with Eagles in these lists. I did try it out a little bit but that was with 2 monsters, not 3. It's great to be able to dictate combats for sure. The super-cheap Noble I listed above basically has 1 job and that is making sure nobody can run in and snipe your BSB (a cloak-dreadlord for example). Whether this is worth it or not needs playtesting. Basically you need to play the bus more cautiously without him. There are other factors as well, the Eagles giving +2 drops and the Noble rarely giving up points for example, but I think it largely boils down to combat flexibility (being able to block with Eagles allows you to choose combats you otherwise could not have) vs playing the bus more aggressively.

John Rainbow

#458 Post by John Rainbow »

@Curu: I guess I'll find out tomorrow!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#459 Post by Curu Olannon »

Yep, break a leg :)

NexS

#460 Post by NexS »

Curu Olannon wrote:Yep, break a leg :)
Only the enemy's, of course!
Regards,
Brad
John Rainbow

#461 Post by John Rainbow »

TOURNAMENT REPORT: ONE-DAYER ON DEC 20th @ OUTSIDE THE BOX GAMES
I recently went to a one-dayer at a local store and played 3 games with my High Elves. The tourny was 2500pts uncomped and used ET rules like legion lists and lore of undeath, as well as the 50% lords/heroes which is in the BRB anyway now I guess. All of my opponents were really fun, nice guys, as was everyone else at the store.

There were 12 players and I recall there being...
4 High Elves
1 Ogres (MSU with double cannon)
2 Dwarfs (both gunlines with copters)
1 Empire (double stank, all mounted)
1 VC (hybrid)
1 Lizards (skink spam)
1 Brets
1 O&G

I took:

Prince on Star Dragon + Star Lance, D.Helm, 4++, OTS, Sh., HA
Archmage(4)[High] + steed, BoH, Crown of Command

Mounted Noble + Ogre Blade, Ench.Sh, DA (1+/6++)
Mounted BSB + BotWD, DA, lance, Sh (2+/6++)

15 Silver Helms + command, shields
6 Reavers + champ, bows & spears
6 Reavers + champ, mus, bows & spears

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
2 x Great Eagle

Game 1: High Elves
Game 1 was objective based with extra VPs awarded for controlling them at the end of the game. I faced another High Elf list, after all there were a few of us there! My opponent had:

Giant Blade Prince
Lvl 4. Life mage w/scroll
Mounted BSB + sword of might & armour

15 Silver Helms
3 x 5 Reavers

33 White Lions + BotWD

3 x RBT
8 Sisters
Eagle
Phoenix

I didn't snap a picture of this one as I was playing a recently primed black army and they didn't photograph well. I won the game by holding up his bus with my bus (crown of command was golden here as he had dwellered me and I didn't have many left when we hit CC) and letting the dragon do its work on the WL in conjunction with a phoenix before mopping up the bus. Eagles were great here in warmachine hunting.

In general, I think this is a poor matchup for my opponent. The WL don't synergise all that well with the mounted bus and it is tough to use Life magic in the right place to buff the units that might be in CC as the dragon list can threaten multiple units and you can't protect them all. I won this game with max. points as I controlled all objectives at the end of the game and I think I tabled my opponent - either way he didn't control anything and that got me extra points.

Game 2: Brets
Game 2 was based around killing certain units like the general, etc. I played against Eric, a friend who I've played at Crossroads and other events in the past. He is part of the 'Nerdhammer' crew based in NE Pennsylvania and was playing Brets this time around:

Heroic killing blow lord, 1+ AS
Lord with sword of antiheroes, 1+ AS
Paladin BSB sword of might
Paladin + flail
Paladin + flail
Paladin + flail
Prophetess(4)[undeath] + silver mirror
Damsel(2)[beast] + scroll

11 Knights + standard of discipline
12 Errants
9 Errants + banner of swiftness
2 x 9 bowmen

3 pegasus knights
2 trebuchets

And here it is after deployment:
(more pics & BatRep to follow from Eric)

Apparently store rules allow Brets to pray and not give up T1 so we rolled off and my opponent won. His T1 was pretty horrific for me. In addition to moving up, he put 5W on the dragon and 1W on the Prince with a Treb in addition to summoning 3 Crypt Horrors and a Casket of Souls! I think he also killed some reavers. My T1 he shut down my magic so I couldn't heal the dragon with apotheosis.

T2 was a turning point however. Eric charged a bus at the dragon and somehow I managed to survive without taking any wounds. A treb did put 4W on one of the frosty's though. I shut down his magic this turn and in my phase went all in and also healed the dragon. It turned out his bus couldn't handle my bus and I overran into the final lance of knights as my frosties and eagles cleared his backfield. The 1W left phoenix managed to kill the casket in T3 or 4 and somehow survived the blast damage it does as it dies (it actually did nothing to anyone). With magic I finally managed to heal my dragon and won the game with max. points again in the end after destroying all the Bret units. This game was dicey to start with! The Bret T1 was brutal and my dragon was super lucky to survive a long charge from his bus - he had an extra d6 charge thing on one of the knights that helped him out. The dragon living through that charge and then killing the bus pretty much won me the game as it allowed my SHs to go to work on his other units while his heroes were tied up.

I also have to say that the Lore of Undeath has the potential to be pretty brutal! Summoning a casket and crypt horrors as road blocks is awful and by the end of the game I had probably played against 3000+ points of enemies.

Game 3: High Elves
So it turned out that I would be facing another of the Nerdhammer crew (Allen) on the top table in the last round. He was running High Elves and was also on max. points at this stage. Allen was running an Alarielle-star of sorts but I thought it a bit of an unusual version in that I think it could be improved. I didn't get a copy of Allen's list but he had something like:

Alarielle[High magic]
Archmage(4)[Shadow] + BoH
BSB with magic weapon
Noble with 4++ shield

Big block of LSG
3 x 5 Reavers
10 Archers

Big block of White Lions + BotWD

2 x Frost Phoenix

And here is deployment:

I had an ok game and Allen was a great opponent and a nice guy but this game was IMHO ruined by the TO. He decided that as it was Christmas he would give everyone 12 rerolls at the start of the game and then gave out more rerolls randomly throughout the game. By the end of it all something like 30 odd rerolls had been given out and could be used for anything in the game. I don't think this kind of thing has any place in competitive WFB and it really flipped my game as you will see...

I won the roll off for T1 (I also had +1 to go first), or I didn't as my opponent rerolled and then I rerolled and didn't beat him. He moved up and cast Arcane Unforging (on 6 dice getting one 6), which I had saved my dice for, letting a couple of minor spells though. He then rerolled 5 of the dice and got another 6 to IF it. This took out my BotWD and gave me an issue as Alarielle magical attacks and I would have been nigh invulnerable to the WL unit she was in. My opponent that rolled double 2's for the miscast which he rerolled and got something much better for him.

My T1 I moved into threatening positions to charge his Alarielle-star or the LSG. I tried casting unforging on his BotWD as it would let me get some spell/magical damage through but my opponent rerolled his dispel dice and irresistable dispelled it - I didn't really want to reroll myself now I didn't have my banner. We spent a turn dancing around with his Frosty making a 21 or 22" charge into one of my birds (again with rerolls) until I committed and charged his WL star with dragon in the flank and bus to the front on a turn he didn't have a good magic phase so he didn't have a ward save from high magic up. I killed a bunch of WL and was ready for the long haul in CC (they are stubborn). I had also blocked up his LSG with an eagle and phoenix.

At this point we were both out of rerolls until in my opponents turn we were 'gifted' some more... cue my opponent irresistably casting Mindrazor on his LSG (using rerolls to get double 6s) and blowing through my blocking phoenix before hitting the flank of the dragon in the next turn. Again I think he rerolled a poor miscast to get something better for him...

Needless to say this put paid to my bus and dragon and I was run down. I lost very big. I was also quite annoyed by the rerolls as I was in a good position to win the game several times and lost based on them. As I said, Allen was a really nice guy to play and had some really good luck with his rerolls but I don't think they should be in competitive play. Especially when we weren't told they would be in the scenario until the day of the event. Maybe I didn't take advantage of the rerolls but either way, its not a good way to play warhammer. It left a pretty sour taste to lose in a competitive event when it became in a way non-competitive as you couldn't really count on simply good generalship to win the day.

I don't mean for this to take away from my opponent in any way though. He played well and played the game as it was handed to us. He had also won his other games with max. points so was a deserving winner.

End result: I finished 2nd/12
Last edited by John Rainbow on Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
sparkytrypod

Re: John Rainbow's Adventures - Short Tournament Report

#462 Post by sparkytrypod »

such a shame about that last game john.

comments on the list after playing some games?
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
John Rainbow

#463 Post by John Rainbow »

I just heard that I actually finished 2nd in the event at the weekend. Must've done pretty well in those other games! Haha. Anyway, I'll have some thoughts on the list tomorrow although, in general I really liked it a lot. I'm not sure there's much I'd change but I'll have a think on it...
Andros123

#464 Post by Andros123 »

Hi John.
Thanks for some great battle reports and congrats on your great result. I can't believe what the TO has been thinking! That completely changed the whole mechanics of the game. Being able to have an infinite number of earting rods, is not bad :wink: .

I'm really curious to hear what you thought about your list. Especially the fact that you don't have any shooting besides reavers. I usually take my 4 bolt throwers, but I'm thinking about trying something else. Now that the new ETC draft is up, we are only allowed to take two out of these three: banner, 3 or more ridden characters, 1 or more bolt throwers. So I will try my luck without the bolt throwers :) .
Anyway, merry christmas.
John Rainbow

#465 Post by John Rainbow »

List Review

Not too much to say. Does what it says on the tin. The Star Lance proved to be a cute choice as I fought BotWD twice and you don't have to use it after round 1 (it says so in the rules). There is perhaps the option of changing the lord's kit (remove 4++) to fit on some other toys if needed.

Obviously a level 4 is a requirement at 2500pts and the Crown of Command saved me against HE and Brets. This leaves the choice of lore and BoH up for discussion. IMHO I think two lores are suitable for this list: High and Life magic. This pretty much for the same reason as both lores can heal the dragon and make the bus more resilient. The way I play the list the bus is an anvil so it needs this support from magic even though it is already fairly tough. Both High magic and Life can give the bus a ward and resilience but I think High magic wins out for me. Life is very one-dimensional as a lore and it would work well but High is more diverse and can be somewhat catered to the opponent. It also has a little more ranged punch to offer. I may even make the claim that Arcane Unforging is a good enough spell along with the signatures to make High worthwhile. Unforging allows you to fight things you otherwise wouldn't want to and is a really good spell for drawing out dice/scrolls. It lets the Prince do his work and can stop things like the 3++ reroll 1's Chaos guy, etc from being a problem all together.

I think the choice of lore also dictates whether the book or the scroll is the magic item option here. BoH works much better with High as you are generally looking to put through as many spells as possible to buff the ward save of the unit. Life magic is different in that you only need one or two spells to go through and the scroll fits better as the book reroll is less of a requirement in the way the lore works with the list.

Obviously the ideal would be to fit in a second mage with the scroll (& mounted) although this would set me back 120pts for just a level 1 mage on a steed with a scroll. I will discuss how these points could be found later as currently the two eagles take up 100pts and the other 20 could be found if required (prince kit change).

I've taken these units all together as they play as one unit - the bus. I did't have any issues with the BSB being in the front rank and vulnerable - in these 3 games at least. It could be a problem in the future though I guess. Having the BotWD is critical as it allows this unit to just run at stuff and block it up all game. The high number of elf armies I saw, is apparently how our local meta is these days, so the BotWD is a great choice for neutering frost birds and giant blade princes.

The one problem with this unit is that it can sometimes hit like a damp flannel on the charge and then they lack any real grinding potential. I'm loathe to add in another character as this reduces the efficiency of the BSB's 3 attacks when he moves to the 2nd rank and changing the BSB to have a GW reduces his AS and removes the rerolls. This unit does need help with grinding out combats however as they tend to get stuck in for a while. Another hero with a GW is 99points (I think) so could be a direct swap for the eagles but I'm not sure this is worth it. I'm also fairly sure I don't want more magical attacks in the unit given the apparent number of Elven players that have sprung up recently but I would maybe consider the sword of anti-heroes. Maybe...

I only have 15 Silver Helm models and this fills out the core allotment. They are good and need the command models for scenarios. Nuff said.

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

Really great for piling on the pressure and the aggression of the list. Nothing can be done with their points.

2 x Great Eagle
The Eagles actually did really well for me in all of my games and allowed the other units to function - I didn't have to send a phoenix off hunting warmachines for example. I really like these two in the list as they add a lot in terms of mobility in keeping up with the other flyers for redirecting and in hunting in the backfield. I would have to drop them for anything else I wanted though. Is this a fair trade? I don't think so at the moment. The eagles really help the other units put on pressure in the required areas knowing that these two can do the crappy jobs like charge bowmen or draw out fanatics. This leaves the other units so much more free and mobile. I wasn't sure about the eagles when I wrote the list as they seemed a bit of an afterthought with the final 100pts but having played with them, I think they are critical to get the list to function as it needs to.

Summary
In general, I really like this list. It is fast and aggressive and suits my playstyle. So far, the lack of ranged damage hasn't proved to be a big problem as the movement of the flyers can mitigate this. It also works well as an anti-HE list (or so it seems) - I should've won that last game against Alarielle. I imagine that it will however fold to most gunlines (Elven or otherwise). I actually moved to the list originally to beat DE and it does do that for sure!

So onto potential changes:
The Prince's 4++ would have to go along with the eagles to fit in a mounted level 1 with scroll or a mounted noble to add to the bus and help it grind. Is either of these a good trade? Opinions?

Is High magic better than Life? I think yes in this list purely for the flexibility it offers over life and for unforging. Do you agree?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Andros123: I tend to play uncomped as this event was. In either case, I think you can make those restrictions work for a number of builds -something like I have or all-infantry could work.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#466 Post by Curu Olannon »

Hey John, thanks for an interesting string of games! That last game sounds pretty retarded, in the same way I find ET games to be retarded. A few crucial rolls, possibly with re-rolls, just ruin anything even remotely tactical. A sad end to an otherwise interesting journey! The first game looked to be a walk in the park and I think you have a massive advantage here. Without any answers for the Dragon you are supposed to win big and indeed you did! Well played!

The second game saw the Bretonnian player gravely misjudge the matchup. This is apparant from his deployment and I have encountered the same when facing inexperienced Bretonnian players several times (see game 1 from Invasion, for example). Basically he deploys in the center and at this point you have free reign of the board. Bretonnians are supposed to corner vs a list like this and pretty much play like a castle. If they don't, you surround them and they can't properly zone you. Looks like you did everything correct here, well played!

List assessment: High and Life are the usual suspects but I'm not 100% sure they're the only candidates just yet. Death would be brutal and I have a new-found respect for metal. Doubly so with the latter given the meta change to herohammer where Searing Doom becomes a true killer. Anyway this is just food for thought, let's consider High and Life.

The former has a lot of flexibility and utility spells. In this area, it wins hands down. Fiery Convocation and Dwellers are largely the same spell in the sense that they are both extremes and must be stopped. The difference is that Dwellers is more of an instant-win vs Fiery which typically ruins your opponent's resulting magic phase.

Anyway, the true strength of Life is Lifebloom. With the book, you can cast 6/8 spells in the lore fairly reliably on 2d6. This is extremely potent as even a mediocre magic phase lets you heal a wounded monster twice, often three times. This reliability keeps our big gribblies going. I think that in this context, Lifebloom is why you choose the lore and everything else is a bonus. As such, Dwellers is not such a big deal actually (in fact I'd often advice against taking it) and regworth becomes a real killer (on the Frosthearts it's just brutal). The question then is whether the flexibility of High trumps the reliability of Life. I do disagree with you re: the book though. I think it is far more valuable with Life because spamming spells on 2d6 will eventually fail and in those chains the Book is crucial. It's also worth noting that, apart from when the bus is in combat, you likely won't be throwing high magic spells on 2d6, thus the effect of the book is weakened (the book is better the fewer dice you spend per spell on average). Granted the Book with High is also extremely potent, but with this particular build I'd go so far as to say that the Book is a necessity for going for Life magic (which again boils down to the importance of Lifebloom). Because of this, I'd rather have High if I only had a single L4 (because I would never leave home without a scroll) but I'm still undecided on High vs Life in a dual-mage setup. +5 to cast and Book is extremely hard to stop and, as you point out, High has spells that are way more flexible than Life.

As for the list itself, you have a number of interesting development opportunities. From double dragon + double frost to ditching a frost for RBTs you can also go down more exotic routes such as experimenting with e.g. Caradryan (a great counter to regen and powerlords) or even a Griffon Noble. I remember trying the Griffon Noble way back and the ultimate reason I had to ditch him was because of allowance - not effectiveness - as I found 2x L2s necessary (this was prior to the 50% change, obviously). As it stands though, I think it's very powerful. My only concern is for your prince to get tied down as you have no secondary mobile characters to tango with him (I always used an Eagle Noble to run alongside him with our last book and 2+ re-roll Eagle Noble is still available, he'll even get S5 if you want and 1+ armour save vs shooting!). I'm unsure whether this concern is a big one but it's worth keeping in mind. As you say though, 3 flying monsters typically tend to help here. I just know from experience that wasting the Star Lance feels like a pain, especially when you have ligned up juicy charges on things like Bretonnian lances (granted they can't easily chaff the bus so it shouldn't really be a big problem) where you can get stuck in challenges forever (see my BSK game 2 for example). Last but not least you could consider upgrading the second Noble to a Prince if you feel the bus lacks grinding power. It would cost you a Frostheart I fear (perhaps you could make it work by dropping both eagles and swapping the 4++ for Golden Crown) but in the same swoop I believe you'd be able to afford a second mage, allowing for both the scroll and the book to be taken.

Looking forward to see where you take this. Again, thanks a lot for the write up :)

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#467 Post by Ferny »

Well played - shame about game 3 but what can you do :roll:
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
NexS

#468 Post by NexS »

Thanks for the reports JR. That dragon won unit of the day, i'd bet!

However, those "free rerolls" were far too numerous. I agree that it shouldn't be present in competitive events.
Such a shame
Regards,
Brad
John Rainbow

#469 Post by John Rainbow »

@NexS, Ferny & Curu: Thanks for the sympathy guys. At the end of the day though I still had a good time so its ok and both me and my opponent should have been on equal footing - he just got to use the rerolls first!

On the High v. Life v. other lore debate: at the moment I really value the flexibility of high magic and the ability to make the bus an anvil (which I guess you can do with other lores i.e. life or beasts). I also like the fact that I can keep the dragon and frosty a little further away and still heal them - 12" for lifebloom is still pretty low range and I tend to move the dragon and the birds outside of this distance a lot to put pressure on while the bus moves up the middle. Result: sticking with high at the moment.

Curu, your list development ideas are interesting and I certainly see the point about tag-teaming the dragon with another character. I also really like the idea of getting in some RBTs (I could drop a bird and an eagle for 4 of them). I'm interested to see what this would do in particular as it adds some static units to the list and takes away from mobility but could add some board control and certainly a lot more ranged threat than I currently have. How this would impact the overall dynamics of the list though I'm not sure. I think I would need to add some more static units along the lines of the list you posted with the Star Dragon and White Lions for this to work really well. Some food for thought.

Either, way I only have 1 more event that I can actually use this list at coming up - Jan 10th at a local store. After that I imagine I'm not going to have much time due to various real life commitments but I am planning on attending a Swedish comp event in the summer so I'll likely start prep for that. As of right now I haven't come up with a good build for it...

I will likely need some advice from the members who have played under Swedish!
Ciratan

#470 Post by Ciratan »

I hate it when T.O.'s go wild. #-o
teep

#471 Post by teep »

John Rainbow wrote:
What about Adam Sinclair (not overly active here, but has a fun and informative Youtube Channel)
and our very own Malossar for starters?
John Rainbow

#472 Post by John Rainbow »

teep wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:
What about Adam Sinclair (not overly active here, but has a fun and informative Youtube Channel)
and our very own Malossar for starters?
Thanks for the advice Teep. I'll check some of Adam's stuff. I was planning on hitting up Malossar at some point soon too.
teep

#473 Post by teep »

Maybe best pm the guy, -either on youtube or on Warhammer uk - since they seem to run all kinds of events over there and I can't recall any of his 100+ vids being marked as ETC, Swedish or what have you...
John Rainbow

#474 Post by John Rainbow »

I do have one more uncomped event coming up soon but am also looking toward a Swedish event this summer. I've never played under Swedish comp before so have been trying to read up on it. I found this article and thought it was decent enough to share.

http://raffazza.blogspot.com/2013/09/ra ... nners.html

If you are looking into starting under Swedish comp I think it is a decent place to start.
Malossar
Something Cool

#475 Post by Malossar »

For your uncomped event I would start practicing with your swedish comp list. Also aim for a "soft" style list and it will give you a great chance to practice against much harder armies. You can then tally in your head (oh sweet I actually had 400 additional victory points due to comp which meant I actually won the game!)

For High Elves:
I've found that our shooting is comped very hard and yet we need a strong shooting phase to do well in tournaments. I aim for around 45 shots and just eat the additional -5 on occasion. Two bolt throwers is the sweet spot comp wise but I typically eat the points to take 3. Looking at my current build if I dropped a bolt thrower and replaced the points in command/items I would see my list raised from an 11.5 to a 13.1! But is it worth losing the firepower? I'm thinking it probably is as I type this because that's a huge point increase haha.

Build tough lists that are hard to get points from while being a low comp army. Take soft choices to make up for harder ones. In my current draft I'm taking the Shadow Prince w. Warriors as a way to eat a bunch of points while being relative light on the comp score. This opens me up to take a loremaster or pick up the dispel scroll. Well worth it.

Look for the units that cost a lot for minimal comp hit. 23 sisters = 322 points is only a -19. Does give credance to the sister star eh? Consider a lvl 4 high mage and an anointed with the reaver bow?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#476 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi John,

It really depends how Swedish is applied in that particular tournament. If you could provide a link to players pack or short summary on it I will try to provide some feedback.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
John Rainbow

#477 Post by John Rainbow »

Thanks for the input/advice guys. I'll get back to you with my ideas on Swedish, etc. At the moment it is using 1.15 unless a new pack comes out before May.

I also have a link to a video BatRep done by my T2 opponent (Eric) at the last tournament (game v. Brets):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLi38_mBsf4

He did a great job and is a top guy. Worth a look for sure!

The lists in the report:

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
2 x Great Eagle
Heroic killing blow lord, 1+ AS
Lord with sword of antiheroes, 1+ AS
Paladin BSB sword of might
Paladin + flail
Paladin + flail
Paladin + flail
Prophetess(4)[undeath] + silver mirror
Damsel(2)[beast] + scroll

11 Knights + standard of discipline
12 Errants
9 Errants + banner of swiftness
2 x 9 bowmen

3 pegasus knights
2 trebuchets
Breezly

#478 Post by Breezly »

JR, you going to Crossroads again this year? If so, how will you tailor your list to ETC, you are a few choices over.

I am headed back this year so intersted in how people try to pull their lists into the comp.

--Breezly
John Rainbow

#479 Post by John Rainbow »

Breezly wrote:JR, you going to Crossroads again this year? If so, how will you tailor your list to ETC, you are a few choices over.

I am headed back this year so intersted in how people try to pull their lists into the comp.

--Breezly
I'm not going this year as I'm trying to finish up my Ph.D. and its just too much :(

I was really interested in going (before I found out I couldn't) so I have had a look at the comp pack. I don't think a Dragon list is a good idea at all. You have to sacrifice too much I think. The only way to maybe make it work would be something like Dragon + White Lions + RBTs with no banner as you need the RBTs for board control. I think if I was going though I would run the list I did last last time. It still works very well and did well at the last event and bonus, it fits in the comp pack. That list was based around a shooty core, WLs, PG and shadow magic. I was actually really happy with it but it does have some terrible matchups (all infantry DE being one) but I don't know if you'll see those kind of lists at Xroads.
Malossar
Something Cool

#480 Post by Malossar »

Hey just watched the game! Great play.

I'm amazed he didn't challenge you when he charged you with the errant knights! Was the BotWD out of range there? That could haveb een really bad.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)