Vengeance Rising

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 141 - 15/8/14

#991 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

I enjoyed your OK story but indeed, you are the Centurion first so I would welcome your reports with TK, especially that they have some official attention too. One can always be sure that your are going to look for some new options and explore new possibilities. This list is a testimony to that.

I like entombed knights very much, I think they are bringing that unique aspect of TK to the game. I don't have to tell you that the MSU feeling of that army is also something I would love to explore further. I hope that you will have some games to report sooner rather than later so that we can discuss particular situations with more detail.

I wonder if you are going to incorporate new End of Times options to your army. I know you want pure TK force but new lore of Undeath offers some summoning spells to TK too and I think that might offer some interesting possibilities as well.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Jimmy
Centurion

#992 Post by Jimmy »

Would be very interesting indeed if there was options to heal Animated Constructs better than a single wound per phase that's for sure.

Interesting times ahead!
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#993 Post by Jimmy »

So a few questions regarding the new Undead Legions list that I have:

1. If using Undead Legions do the points cost remain the same?
2. No need for a Hierophant anymore - do does that mean you can run a magic-less Tomb King army?
3. Is the 40" fly move essentially back into play for us with Necrosphinx/Carrion with a march and then desert wind?
4. Does MWBD effect any unit the King/Prince joins?

If the answers are in a positive light then I'm kind of lost as to why anyone would play using the Tomb Kings army list as opposed to the new Undead Legions one and playing at a disadvantage.

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#994 Post by Curu Olannon »

Because Undead Legions will be a campaign-only army like the following ones I suppose :) I doubt any of them would see play outside of it/friendlies. Same goes for lots of units in other add-ons thus far. The Emperor Carmine Dragon in Tamurkhan for example is ridiculous beyond belief.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Jimmy
Centurion

#995 Post by Jimmy »

This is quoted directly from the book:
Along with all the other sections of this book, it is intended for use both with the scenarios presented herein, and in any other games of Warhammer you would like to use it for.

As you can see, this book represents much more than just a selection of scenarios and the special rules to go with them. Instead you should think of it as a toolbox, from which you can pick and choose what to use in any games of Warhammer that you play. This is highly appropriate; as a result of Nagash's return, neither the Warhammer world, or the Warhammer battles that you fight, will ever be quite the same again!
I think it will be up to players/tournaments to have a take on this but to me it's like the Chaos Dwarfs so I think it will be signed off as legal.

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#996 Post by Curu Olannon »

From what we`ve seen thus far, the rules are way off compared to the other books. If this will indeed be the new standard (and I expect similar books for Skaven/Empire, Elves and Chaos at the very least) the whole balance will shift drastically.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#997 Post by Curu Olannon »

If what you say is true Jimmy this book basically invalidates normal TK. You can just use this book instead with an otherwise pure TK army and thus not suffer Hierophant negative effects and you get to march within 12"...

Jimmy
Centurion

#998 Post by Jimmy »

Exactly what i was thinking. I like the sound of a 40" movement Necrosphinx. :-)

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#999 Post by Curu Olannon »

To be honest I fear 3 Warsphinxes being able to move 32" in a single turn even more. The question is, I suppose, would this really break Warhammer? 50% lords is not something I think TK care about, nor heroes. This boost could be what TK need (although at first glance it seems massive to say the least). As for VC I doubt they benefit much here. The potential for 2 blenderlords sounds insane, but would they really have an army to go with it? If you mix in SCs however anything remotely resembling balance goes out the window, these new dudes are unbelievably strong.

Jimmy
Centurion

#1000 Post by Jimmy »

I certainly agree that the tomb kings benefit more so than the vc. From a vc point of Jew however I'm confident you will see the casket in every list. No hierophant removes the nehek tax as well which opens up more options.

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1001 Post by Curu Olannon »

True, there are some TK units here that would greatly benefit VC. Not so much the other way around, I feel, perhaps apart from Ethereal stuff and maybe characters. The TK book has pretty decent internal synergy, its external balance is just a bit off.

EDIT: 1000th reply! Congrats Jimmy :D

Jimmy
Centurion

#1002 Post by Jimmy »

Well I did some mucking around last night with list building and purely for a play I came up with a 7 Sphinx list at 2500 points. No magic and no magic items but it's cool to know it can be done at least. :lol:

Some parts of the Undead Legion list intrigue me and others I think will become a typical inclusion in what will become a net list. For example a unit of Grave Guard with a Prince/King in it and the Banner of Barrows. If the King is sporting the destroyer of eternities then chances are he's hitting on a 2+ which wouldn't be nice to be on the receiving end. :roll: (correction - I don't think this will work as the magic item states "Grave Guard, Black Knights and Wight Kings only").

I can certainly see some utility around the Lore of Undeath however from the Tomb King point of view I think you nearly need to build your whole army around it, granted that's not difficult seeing as nearly every TK army is already configured in this way but I think the Lore leaves a bit to be desired however time will tell. Also allowing the opponent to use Lore of Undeath is an interesting trade off if it's true. However that aside it will be awesome to be able to summon new units of Necro Knights/Stalkers/Sphinx depending on the situation at hand. I see no mention of Monstrous Infantry however so I wonder if it's just not listed or FAQ inbound?

On magic as well Lore of Vampires I can see being an interesting combination if a Necromancer is added into the mix. Vanhel's can certainly add some carnage to the Tomb Kings as well as extra movement again. I wonder if there is a problem with this as combined with Desert Wind you could potentially move units twice/three times in the magic phase (with book of Arkhan).

Not being hit with the 'Nehekara tax' now is a great option for Tomb King players. It's not my area of specialty however it makes an Undead Light coven a lot easier to construct whilst saving 210 points without a Hierophant.

Marching within 12" of the general is the huge winner for me. Being able to actually have the possibility of setting up a flank charge is pretty amazing and I think combined with EBTS the army has the capability to put so much pressure on the enemy.

On new units the Montarchs are an interesting addition. Expensive but having the ability to reduce crumble damage when combined with a nearby BSB and Animated construct and whatever is in combat can be at -3 for crumble damage which is pretty incredible. Shame the models are horrendous.

More to come later.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 142 - 08/09/14

#1003 Post by Jimmy »

Battle 142 is up.

142. UL MSU - 08/09/14 vs Ogre Kingdoms

I put it in the other forum to see if it generates any more discussion as opposed to sticking it here in this tomb.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1004 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

I really enjoyed the game and posted comments in the Battle Report section. I know there is another coming in so can't wait to see how UL played against HE! That might attract even more attention!

I have noticed this topic on another forum:

UL vs TK/VC

It posed an interesting question. Do you think TK/VC will use their own rules from now on if they have clearly superior rules in the form of UL ones? And I am not talking about 50% lord allowance. TK probably benefit more from the new rules as it allows them to march (and as you showed helps TK greatly). But I also hear there is no crumbling after loss of the general. Is that correct? If yes, then it is also huge!

And all that assuming you want to use models from your respective books without mixing them up, which opens a lot of new (and powerful!) options.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Jimmy
Centurion

#1005 Post by Jimmy »

Battle 143. UL MSU - 06/09/14 vs High Elves Is up! :)

@SM - It's an interesting discussion but I believe it's spot on. I don't see a point outside of gaining special characters to run Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts from the books. Undead Legions has so much more to offer outside of the 50% Heroes and even Lore of Undeath.

I do however fear that the tournament monkeys will come out in force and really come up with some disgusting combinations that will work against the general community into trying to get the army list accepted into the tournament circles around the globe.

So Tomb Kings for example now benefit from marching as you've listed and also what you've touched on about the Hierophant death is also true, because they army doesn't have a Hierophant now it simply doesn't happen, a tiny other tid bit to remember although it's never really accounted for much for me personally is also he won't be giving a 6+ regen save to whatever unit he joins.

Vampire Counts were/are a solid list without the inclusions of the Undead Legions so now that they have access to Catapults, Caskets, and Kings/Princes for WS buffing I can really see them getting difficult to deal with. That said it literally turns them into some sort of Undead Empire with cavalry and artillery so I guess looking at it from that point of view it's not game breaking but still early days to really speculate.

For me personally I don't currently plan on adding any VC units to the mix. I am toying with the idea of the Morghast units but I think that's a long way off.

Interestingly enough one of the members on the TK boards is interested to see the currently list I'm running although with Lore of Undeath to summon more. He makes a very good point that in a list like mine just constantly bringing up small units for the enemy to deal with has it's merits however on the flip side I think Nehekara Lore is even more valuable now that you don't 'have' to take it purely on the shift from Tomb Kings to Undead Legions and as mentioned in the last battle report I think Desert Wind will nearly be on the same priority list to stop as Light of Death for some armies based on what it 'could' do not always on what it 'will' do.

With the marching rule alone I feel like I've got so many army lists to re-visit and give them another go as that one rule can literally change the dynamics of entire lists and the last two games have indicated that to me alone.

Practically it's a brand new army release although this time the only difference is I've already got all the models painted and lots of experience with them already. :lol:

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 143 - 09/09/14

#1006 Post by RE.Lee »

Very interesting observations! I've been rereading your blog to learn more about the TK tactics you employ, now that I've been inspired to start my own little force ;) It'll most likely be more of a hobby project for now, but once it gets combat ready - all of this will be invaluable! Cheers!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#1007 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Glad updates are making you think about TK again mate, our Beastmen player is now a little more excited thanks to End of Times than he was a while back too.
EoT isn't really for me, yet, but it's doing good things for Warhammer. Not sure how QNK Joust next year will be, might get crazy~
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Jimmy
Centurion

#1008 Post by Jimmy »

Yeah wait and see what rules are carried over to 9th I guess. I don't mind EOT, it's breathed new life into fantasy for the time being. New models are always welcomed as they make great projects.

Unfortunately I'm nearly 5000km away from my models so I'm just thinking about Warhammer and my next battle every day. I'm hoping to get another game in around the end of the month or early December at this stage, need to get those Ushabti I painted their first blood. :wink:

Lee - that's awesome mate!! :)

X-wing Blog
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#1009 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

5000kms, that is a goodly distance Sir.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Iluvatar

#1010 Post by Iluvatar »

Jimmy wrote:Unfortunately I'm nearly 5000km away from my models so I'm just thinking about Warhammer and my next battle every day.
So, your other project is finally happening? How is it going? :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#1011 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

5000kms, so you've left the country, I don't think even Perth is that far away.
Jimmy
Centurion

#1012 Post by Jimmy »

Hey chaps

Thought I might bump this a little. Back in civilisation now which is nice but it's hard to find an opponent during the week and I'm a busy bee going out of country next week. Might try and get a few games up against myself purely for my own mental warhammer well being and to throw some dice and of course the narrative bonus of having something to report on.

If you want to see anything Tomb King-esque vs Ogre Kinddomish goodness please let me know and I will try and accommodate.

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

#1013 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm always looking forward to your battle reports, from some time even more so if they include Tomb Kings ;) Good luck with your journeys!
cheers, Lee

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1014 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Bring it on! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#1015 Post by Iluvatar »

Hi Jimmy!
It's good to see you back! Hope you'll be able to have some more WH good time soon.
Cheers,
Iluvatar
Loriel

#1016 Post by Loriel »

Hello Jimmy. I hope to see your battle reports soon. I loved your forever alone games when I looked them up in Khemri forum. As i decided to place tomb kings to rest for the time being, i managed to play couple games with elves. And oh boy I have loved them. They are just so mobile after sluggish kings...
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Jimmy
Centurion

#1017 Post by Jimmy »

Kings aren't so sluggish anymore however. I've gone the opposite I have to say, with the events in the latest book I'm very anti-elf at the moment and focusing on the Ogres and Legion.

Finishing up a solo game this morning actually. Might write it up and post it later.

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#1018 Post by Jimmy »

144. Undead Legion vs. Ogre Kingdoms
===============================

Hey guys, welcome to another solo game of Warhammer that I played a few days ago. With a recent bout of new employment I was away from home for 5 weeks and during that time a lot of Warhammer was on the brain. There was thoughts of End Times, how that would impact my games and my tiny gaming group but also just the game in general. Please consider this game is purely for entertainment purposes only, I don't attempt to make tournament winning lists and my first priority is fun and theme. Enjoy.

Overview
--------
Date played: Thursday, 4 December 2014

Undead Legion
-------------
(TK) Tomb King
- Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny, Obsidian Loathstone
(N) Necrotect
- Tormenter Sword, Charmed Shield, Opal Amulet, Mask of EEE!
(LHP1) Liche High Priest
- Lore of Light (Speed of Light, Pha's Protection, Birona's Timewarp, Net), Earthing Rod
(LHP2) Liche High Priest
- Lore of Nehekhara (Desert Wind, Protection, Vengeance, Desiccation), Dispel Scroll
(U1) 9 Ushabti
- Full Command, Great Weapons
(C1) 3 Carrion
(C2) 3 Carrion
(CoS1) Casket of Souls
(H) Hierotitan
(SA1) 20 Skeleton Archers
- Standard, Musician
(SA2) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SA3) 10 Skeleton Archers
(SC) 6 Skeleton Chariots
- Standard, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame

With finishing a unit of Ushabti as my last unit I painted I was really keen to get them onto the battlefield and into some action. Granted they are not the most economical unit in terms of cost comparison in Warhammer but they have a certain coolness factor that hangs over from last edition but would that be enough to convince me to include them in future lists? Who knows.

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T) Tyrant
- Sword of Striking, Greedy Fist, Enchanted Shield, Giantbreaker, Other Trickster's Shard
(B) Bruiser
- BSB, Talisman of Preservation, Great Weapon
(F1) Firebelly
- Level 2, Lore of Fire (Fireball, Flaming Sword), Hellheart
(F2) Firebelly
- Level 2, Lore of Fire (Fireball, Flame Cloak), Ruby Ring, Dispel Scroll
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Ironfists, Full Command
(I1) 7 Ironguts
- Full Command, Standard of Discipline
(M) 6 Maneaters
- Full Command, Dragonhide Banner, Brace of Pistols
(L1) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician
(L2) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk

I basically wanted to run a Dual Firebelly list with the hitty Tyrant to see how it performed.

Deployment
----------

Undead Legion get the first drop and begin with the 10 man blocks of archers whilst the Ogres counter with the Sabretusks revealing little. Maneaters gain a central position to ensure they have a good shot at maintaining maximum shooting damage against key targets being the constructs and casket. As per susual I wanted the Tyrant in a central position spreading his Leadership whilst his opposite in the Undead leads the Ushabti on the flank to sweep through the Ogre army. The Ogres win the roll off to proceed first.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Some basic movement from the Ogres, Sabretusk zooms up the flank to cause trouble later, the Ironguts push right up the guts whilst the Leadbelchers look to assault the Ushabti from a distance. The Maneaters and Leadbelchers facing off against the chariots would make them pay for their positioning. The magic phase is 8 vs 5 and right away a 3D6 Fireball is attempted on the Carrion nearer the Chariots however this is dispelled with an equal amount of dice. The second Firebelly goes to work with the same spell and this time is goes through engulfing two of the Undead birds. Lastly Flaming Sword is attempted onto the Maneaters however this is dispelled.

The shooting elements of the Ogre army get to work and the Ushabti cop 4 wounds from their opposite Leadbelchers whilst the Chariots take 2 casualties from the storm of shrapnel. The Maneaters attempt to pick off the lone Carrion however fail in their attempt.

Turn 1 - Undead Legion
----------------------

With no emotion from the losses the King signals the advance. The lone Carrion gets into a position to divert the Ironguts whilst the Archers withdraw for more opportunity to shoot. Magic winds blow for 9 vs 6 and immediately the Casket of Souls is unleashed however the Firebellies anticipate this and ensure it's dispelled. Birona's Timewarp is cast upon the Ushabti however the Firebelly reads his dispel scroll as it crumbles to dust as the ancient text is spoken. The Liche Priest mutters the words of Desert Wind healing some damage to the Carrion and Ushabti but also allowing the Carrion to zoom behind the Leadbelchers and get the Hierotitan into a supportive position. Spirit Leech is attempted however the Ogre magic is too strong to cut through.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Bruiser signals a charge and the Ironguts launch into action however they lose momentum after tackling a small wall and fail to reach their target of the Skeleton Archers. The Firebelly however from the Ogres spots an opportunity to smash the Undeads magic and rushes headlong into battle into the flank of the smaller block of Skeleton Archers. 5 vs 4 Magic phase and a 2D6 Flaming sword fails to materialise on the Leadbelchers facing the Chariots, a Fire Cloak is attempted onto the Firebelly however this is easily dispelled. Shooting puts a single wound onto the Chariots whilst between the Poison slinging Maneaters and the Leadbelchers they de-animate the Hierotitan into a pile of rubble.

The Firebelly wastes no time and with a fury that would match Khalida's menstral cycle he puts the hurt on the unit smashing them apart and a healthy 8 hits with the breath weapon ensures not a single skeleton or Liche High Priest remain. A heavy blow for the forces of the Undead.

Turn 2 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Carrion swoop into the blocking Sabretusk and the Chariots smash into the Ironguts not content to sit about and take continued fire from the Ogres. Magic generates 8 dice vs 7 dice for the Ogres and whilst Pha's Protection and Light of Death are both dispelled this allows Birona's Timewarp to augment the Chariots. They drop 2 Ironguts when all said and done and only take a single casualty in return. A pretty poor display from both sides however the Ironguts easily hold.

The time had come and the Tyrant roars his intent and crashes into the Ushabti whilst the Leadbelchers hit the flank. The Firebelly charges into the Carrion blocking his path. 7 vs 6 for magic is rolled up and not wasting a second the Firebelly throws all of his power into Flaming Sword onto the Ogres with 6D6. Shooting pours all fire into the block of 10 Archers near the Casket and after the smoke clears a single Undead soldier remains. The Chariots are cut away to open the path for the Ironguts whilst they take a further casualty. The Carrion screech in triumph as they peck a massive 3 wounds into the Firebelly who can barely recover enough to battle the birds. The Ushabti Ancient accepts the challenge of the Tyrant and takes 2 wounds allowing the King and remaining Ushabti to crush 3 Ogres. 4 Ushabti drop however from the payback and a further one crumbles from existence.

Turn 3 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Hellheart fails to capture the remaining Liche Priest and the fight continues. Speed of Light augments the Carrion as they speedily drop the Firebelly into a pile of body fat. The Liche Priest then sets of work on patching up the Ushabti as Birona's Timewarp and Pha's Protection increases their fighting ability. The Tyrant takes 3 wounds from the Ancient before it is smashed apart however the Ushabti dish out 7 wounds taking 2 back and it's enough to break the Ogres spirit and as they turn to run it's not a clean break and they're ran down swiftly. The Leadbelchers break and run for the edge of the battlefield.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Sabretusk rushes into the lone Archer as the Ironguts charge the remaining Carrion. Magic is a 6 vs 3 affair with Flaming Sword onto the Leadbelchers. The Maneaters put a single wound onto the Ushabti. The Archer is torn apart as the Sabretusk rushes 8" forward whilst the Carrion is easily dismissed with the wave of a great weapon.

Turn 4 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Carrion swoop into the Sabretusk. Magic winds blow strong for the Undead with 12 vs 5, Net onto the Maneaters is dispelled, Light of Death drops 3 of the Leadbelchers however the remaining holds fast. Birona's Timewarp on 4D6 goes IF onto the Archers sucking the remaining power from the air. A single wound is inflicted onto the Leadbelcher whilst the Carrion tear apart the Sabretusk and fly off the battlefield.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Firebelly and Maneaters rush into the Archers intent on removing the roadblock for the final prize. Magic is 7 vs 4 and a 6D6 Flaming Sword onto the Firebelly creates a power drain meaning no more magic for the Ogres. The Archers drop a single Maneater before impact hits and attacks alone clean up Skeleton Archers before the Firebelly can say boo. The Maneaters overrun 8" whilst the Firebelly 3".

Turn 5 - Undead Legion
----------------------

Birona's Timewarp is cast onto the Ushabti whilst Light of Death's souls claim 4 wounds onto the Maneaters.

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ironguts charge the Casket of Souls whilst shooting attacks put a single wound on the remaining High Priest, Tomb King and 2 wounds onto the Ushabti. The Casket is torn apart however the booby trapped kill switch fails to detonate. Damn Nehekharan engineering....

Turn 6 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Carrion charge and gobble up the Leadbelcher.

Result - Ogre Kingdoms Victory

Conclusion - Well thanks for taking the time to read this battle report guys. It was fun to play against myself and have my sons throw dice at me however it certainly shows what a few weeks away from gaming can do as well. 5 weeks off has created some loop holes in my game it seems and I couldn't beleive I left the opening for the Firebelly to take out my level 4, I can't help but think that was the kick the Undead got and just couldn't recover from entirely. Had I had the caster well you know the story. Gave away the Hierotitan as well which is a shame because it's a cool model. :)

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 144 - 04/12/14

#1019 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the report! Its nice to see Ushabtis taking to the field in such numbers. They seemed to have done ok, boosting them with Light Magic worked well. I think the lore is tailored made to support TK - they synergies are much better than with HE. Hopefully the TK will take revenge, they always do, eventually ;)

cheers!
cheers, Lee

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 144 - 04/12/14

#1020 Post by Jimmy »

Just another battle with me playing with myself..... ;)

Undead Legion vs. Ogre Kingdoms
===============================

Overview
--------
Date played: Monday, 8 December 2014

Undead Legion
-------------
(HLP1) High Liche Priest
- Lore of Light (Banishment, Speed of Light, Pha's Protection, Net), Level 4, Dispel Scroll
(HLP2) High Liche Priest
- Lore of Nehekhara (Desert Wind, Protection, Smiting, Vengeance), Level 4, Earthing Rod
(HA1) 5 Horse Archers
(HA2) 5 Horse Archers
(HA3) 5 Horse Archers
(SA1) 20 Skeleton Archers
- Standard, Musician
(SA2) 20 Skeleton Archers
- Standard, Musician
(SA3) 20 Skeleton Archers
- Standard, Musician
(NK1) 6 Necropolis Knights
- Full Command
(NK2) 6 Necropolis Knights
- Full Command
(MH) 2 Morghast Harbingers
(H1) Hierotitan
(CoS) Casket of Souls
(SSC) Screaming Skull Catapult

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(S1) Slaughtermaster
- Iron Fist, Sword of Striking, Earthing Rod, Armour of Destiny, Level 4, Lore of Beasts (Wyssan's Wildform, Savage Beasts, Curse, Amber Spear)
(B1) Bruiser
- BSB, Heavy Armour, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Other Trickster's Shard, Charmed Shield
(B2) Butcher
- Forbidden Rod, Lore of the Great Maw (Spinemarrow)
(B3) Butcher
- Sword of Swift Slaying, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Beasts (Wyssan's Wildform, Flock of Doom)
(I1) 7 Ironguts
- Standard, Musician, Standard of Discipline, Look-Out Gnoblar
(O1) 8 Ogres
- Standard, Musician, Ironfists, Look-Out Gnoblar
(M) 6 Maneaters
- Standard, Muscian, Brace of Pistols, Banner of Eternal Flame, Stubborn, Poison Attacks
(MC) 4 Mournfang Cavalry
- Standard, Musician, Ironfists, Heavy Armour, Gleaming Pendant
(S2) Sabretusk
(S3) Sabretusk
(S4) Sabretusk
(I2) Ironblaster

Deployment
----------

Turn 1 - Undead Legion
----------------------

Magic phase kicks off with 5 vs 1, Light of Death is dispelled for a 2D6 attempt but this allows a powered up Pha's Protection attempt to hopefully
prevent some Ironblaster and Maneater damage.

The Horse Archers are intent on revenge and drop two Sabretusks sneaking up.

The Ironblaster with one wound remaining...

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres advance. Winds blow 11 vs 7 and Wildform augments the Ironguts whilst Flock of Doom drops some Horse Archers. Amber Spear targets the
Morghast (map a little out) however a 1 to roll comes up. The Ironblaster drops a single Necropolis Knight and the Maneaters leave a single remaining Horse Archer.

The Harbingers take the tower. Magic is a 8 vs 4 and right away Light of Death is cast and the Ogres fail to dispel by one. This takes out a single Mournfang, and the Ironblaster collaspes into a pile of deconstructed Ogre engineering. A powered up Smiting goes through however the Ogres burn their scroll to stop this. Banishment puts a single wound onto the Maneaters whilst shooting from the Archers drops a Maneater from the tower. Some arrows find the Sabretusk however he still remains full of life.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Winds roll up 7 vs 6 to the Undead Legion. Wildform onto the Mournfang is dispelled, Flock of Doom goes the same way. Thirdly Wildform is attempted onto the Maneaters however the Legion quickly shut down the magical offence. The Maneaters unload onto the Hierotitan and chip 2 wounds into the Monster.

Turn 3 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Necropolis Knights charge into the Maneaters to defend their general. The Liche Priests yank all the magical power they can blowing a 8 vs 6 and Desert Wind picks up and moving the Legion closer to their target. Light of Death fails to cast and the Ogres pool their magical defense together and shut down 3 spells from the Legion (Phas, Smiting, and Protection). The Sabretusk finally succumbs to its wounds as does a single Irongut.

The Maneaters do 5 wounds into the Knights however 2 Maneaters drop from various wounds however they hold.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Slaughtermaster and Beast Butcher both solo charge into the Knights to support the Maneaters and the Mournfang Cav crash into the distracting Horse Archers. 6 vs 2 comes up on the dice for magic orignally snake eyes however the Maw Butcher pops the Forbidden Rod and nets 5 dice for 3 wounds.

Wildform helps the Mournfang however Savage Beast is dispelled to augment the Slaughtermaster. Curse on the Necropolis Knights draws out the Undead Legions scroll. The ogres do 7 wounds to the Knights and take 6 in return and with the Morghasts around don't crumble. Horse Archers collapse from impact hits alone.

Turn 4 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Morghast crash into the Ironguts intent on pinning them in place. 9 vs 6 allows the Liche Priest to attempt Protection onto the Knights however the Ogres dispel this, forcing the Light Priest to summon Pha's Protection onto the Knights whils the a powered up Smiting causes a miscast shattering two skeletons however this heals the Horse Archers, Hierotitan and Necropolis Knights.

After the combat 2 Knights remain however they kill the last Maneater. The Morghasts drop 2 Ironguts taking 2 wounds in return. The Ironguts fail to reform.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang once again charge the Horse Archers as do the Ogres. Magic winds saturate with a 10 vs 6 and Wildform is attempted twice onto the Ironguts and shut down both times. The Slaughtermaster summons the power of the Savage Beast which infuses all nearby characters with extra strength.

Horse Archers drop and the Knights drop the Beast Butcher before being reduced to painted artefacts in the desert sands. The Bruiser takes 2 wounds from the Morghast before dishing out 3 in return crumbling the Undead by 1.

Turn 5 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Knights lower their spears and charge into the Mournfang. The Priests pluck 8 power dice for themselves however the Ogres channel twice and the dispel dice match the power dice. Pha's Protection onto the Necropolis Knights goes IF creating a miscast that detonates 3 Skeleton Archers and a single dice is lost. 5D6 is thrown at Protection however this is dispelled with box cars. Shooting puts 7 wounds onto the Ogres whilst the SSC lands dead on the Slaughtermaster's head however he wards the damage! The Mournfang take 3 wounds from the charge and break with a single model left rushing 10" away. The Bruiser cops another wound however the remaining Morghasts are taken out of the equation.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres take the fight to the Archers and rush the block whilst the Slaughtermaster and Ironguts fight the Hierotitan. The lone Mournfang continues his run to the edge of the battlefield and a 12 vs 7 magic phase ensures that the Maw Butcher heals a wound with Spinemarrow, the Knights are cursed but the Legions magic difuses the spell. The Priests dispel Wildform onto the Ironguts whilst Savage Beasts effects the Slaughtermaster. The Hierotitan collapses into stone whilst the Archers crumble after taking severe casualties.

Turn 6 - Undead Legion
----------------------

The Knights charge into the Ironguts. 11 vs 4 and Light of Death hits the Ogres with 5 wounds however they hold. Protection onto the Knights is dispelled however this allows Pha's, Smiting and Speed of Light to augment the Knights. Banishment is cast onto the Ogres sneaking another 2 wounds through and the Ogres are covered in arrows as the Nehekharan archer rains death upon the unit.

The Knights kill the Ironguts however the Bruiser holds fast with snake eyes!

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Slaughtermaster rushes into his army standards aid. Magic puts a curse onto the Knights and wildform fails to cast. The Bruiser is killed and the Slaughtermaster wards all damage however with nerve broken he runs and is cut down.

Result - Undead Legion Victory

Conclusion - When playing against yourself there isn't really much of a conclusion to draw outside of it being fun and informative. Someone once pointed out to me the importance of using each unit like a seperate diversionary measure and I think I started to demonstrate that with the use of the Hierotitan and even the solo character charges to a degree which is something I don't normally do.

I hope you've enjoyed the two battle reports I've put up recently, they'll be the last for 5-6 weeks as I'm off the sunny Vanuatu to build a kindergarten.

Have a safe and enjoyable Christmas everyone and I look forward to posting more reports in the future.

X-wing Blog