Empire VS Chaos - my first *yells with glee* MASSSACRE!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Noble Korhedron

Empire VS Chaos - my first *yells with glee* MASSSACRE!

#1 Post by Noble Korhedron »

Hi! This is my second game in a fortnight... And what a game too! :) A 1000 pts massacre against a small but semi-elite Chaos army! The enemy general was one Alex Deane, an unfamiliar opponent but a very sporting one...

The Armies
My army list was as follows.

Player: Robert Tedders
Race: The Empire (Men)
Army: The Waldenhof Garrison

Character(s):
Wizard Bart Von Lenk (65), with h’ weapon, Lv. 2(35), and 2 Dispel scrolls (50). 150 pts

Character(s) total: 150 pts

Core:
10 Handgunners (80), with h’ weapons, handguns and marksman (5) with Hochland rifle (20). 105 pts

25 Spearmen (125), with h’ weapons, spears, l’ armour, shields (25) and full command (20). 170 pts
Detachment: 10 Swordsmen (60), with h’ weapons, l’ armour and shields. 60 pts
Detachment: 10 Crossbowmen (80), with h’ weapons and crossbows. 80 pts

25 Swordsmen (150), with h’ weapons, l’ armour, shields and full command (25). 175 pts
Detachment: 10 Halberdiers (50), with h’ weapons, l’ armour and halberds. 50 pts

10 Huntsmen (100), with h’ weapons, bows and marksman (5). 105 pts

Core total: 745 pts

Special:
1 Gt. Cannon (100), and 3 crew with h’ weapons. 100 pts

Special total: 100 pts

I forget what exactly Alex had, but a summary would be like this:

* 1 Tzeentch Sorceror
* 1 Nurgle Sorceror
* 1 Khorne Exalted Hero
* 1 Khorne Marauder unit with flails
* 1 Khorne Marauder unit with h' weapons and shields
* 5-7(I forget exactly how many) Marauder Horsemen

Setup and the Battlefield
We took in turns to place each peice of terrain, Two particularly evocative pieces were one that I later found out was actualy for LOTR, and a Chaos tower(this was made by GW at some point a few years back). Other terrain inclulded some hillls, woods and a river running between the two long table edges, staright across the middle of the table.

Deployment
I placed my handgunners and cannon on a hill to my left flank, with the main regiments lining up to their right... Each regiment had it's detachments forming up with it, as per the army list. The Crossbowmen detachment took advantage of the hill to act independently from their parent unit after Turn 1.

The Battle
We rolled. I had gone first on deployment and also won 1st turn.
Turns 1-2
Very little happened on these first couple of turns, the armies merely advancing to meet each other, however, a big event occurred with the wiping out of the Marauder Horsemen by the Handgunners on my Turn 2, and the Cannon blowing up on a misfire! That made me both :) and :( all in one turn! :)

Turns 3-4
The combats now began in earnest. The Spearmen received the charge of the Marauders with flails, while the Marauder axemen took the charge of the Swordsmen. The Spearmen managed to hold, and with the help of a flank charge by their Swordsmen detachment, the Marauders with flails were held to a draw in teh first round of the combat(his Turn3), then beaten and broken the following round(my Turn 4)

In the other combat, the Swordsmen held out against the Marauders, despite the loss of their detachment after it fled a charge by the Khorne hero.

Turns 5-6 - Endgame
These turns were a sort-of turning point, both my units were eventually destroyed by the Khorne Champion and the Sorceror(who had joined the remains of the Marauder flail unit) but the Sorceror was broken and fled into range of the handgunners - where he was immediately shot dead, despite his ward save - the Champion also intruded too close to the Handgunners in the final turn, and was shot in his turn! The Huntsmen, who had pursued the first Sorceror and then charged the remaining flail Marauders off the table(they failed to rally) shot the second Sorceror over the final few turns and took off his second wound only on my last round of shooting(damn Chaos armour and 5+ Tzeentch ward)! Result - 365 points of Empire left on the table, zero Chaos! A massacre by any sense of the word! :D
Regards,

NK.

http://www.druchii.net/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php