Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 5 + 6 up

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

geoguswrek

Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 5 + 6 up

#1 Post by geoguswrek »

Tides of War is a tournament held in readng annually, that was last weekend. I thought i would share my tourney experience with the people here on the site.

My list was:
Level 4 on an Eagle, Loremaster's cloak, Scroll, seerstaff
Dragon Mage, Level 2, silver wand, ring of fury
BSB, DP kit, Helm of fortune, sword of might

15 spears, fc, warbanner
10 archers

3x5 DP
14 swordies, champ, muso, talisman of loec

2 RBT
eagle.

The tournament had a composition system that awarded people extra VP's based on the race and hardness of their list, my list was a 400, on a scale from 0 (for super cheesy daemons) to 800 (for super soft TK,Ogres,Beasts)
In the first game, you were drawn against someone with a similar comp level to yours.

----------------------------GAME 1----------------------------------------------------------------

So my first game was against a kid called ben, using a lizardman list that looked like

Slaan, +1 dice thing, knows all spells, ignore 6's thing, cupped hand, the lots of toughness test thing.
scar vet, cold one, armour, never found out what he had
Skink priest on an engine, don't know what he had
flying skink chief

big unit of saurus fc, spears
2 units of skinks, blowpipes
tiny skink cohort (to claim a table quarter)

5 saurus cav, banner, huanchis banner
15 ish temple guard, fc
2 jungle swarms
5 chamo skinks.

So a lizzie list with no terradons, i was quite chuffed. He also took metal on the slaan (i know...). He deployed everything behind the skink screens, except the engine (with rubbish spells) on the flank with the cav, and the jungle swarms behind a wood and the chamo skinks in another wood near my deployment zone.
i had everything facing off against his stuff, with my wizards hiding behind my units and my archers on a hill with a bolter. The level 4 took the good spells from metal, and the level 2 rolled fiery blast (and i swapped for fireball of course) plus something i never used.

he went first, moved up and tried to law of gold my BSB, which was dispelled, engine used the wardsave nothing else happened.
I moved my bsb full distance, and moved my wizards to get some los and used some DP to deter the engine while moving my swordmasters straight forward, eagle marchblocked the steg. magic did very little (drew a scroll) and shooting killed a saurus cav.

He moved around a bit more, lining up some charges, moved the engine to terror my eagle and got some skinks infront of the BSB and swordmasters, he also moved the swarm to kill my bolter on the hill
Magic didn't do much, he miscast once, but it did nothing to my level 4, he also found out the level 4 had a 2+ wardsave.
I charged his Skinks off with the BSB, moved my DP up and killed a jungle swarm with shooting (not both)

He charged a bolter with a swarm, killed it and overran lined his slann up to magic the swordies, and his cav to flank them (with saurus infront). He miscast again with the slann, blowing it up and killing 7-8 TG. The engine killed one DP with burning alignment.
i charged into the remaining TG with some DP, charged some more skinks with the BSB, moved my dragon mage to kill the swarm, my archers to kill some camo skinks i moved the champion to the flank with the cav on. i shot the skink off the engine with a bolt thrower, and magicked the swarm, other bolter killed some cav. DP fluffed against his TG, but won combat on the back of their horses attacks.

He charged my swordies in the flank, moved his camo's a bit to shoot my archers, and rallied some stinks.
Swordmaster champ challenges and knocks the saurus character over with the talisman. the cav break but are under 25%. rest of the game is me running around wiping up, leaving him with the engine on one wound, with no crew. Final result is a big win to me, by about 2000 points.

so i won my first game as my opponent could roll dice, but with such a big win i was near the top of the room, and surely would be fighting something hard...

-------------------GAME 2---------------------------
Turned out i was playing a warriors of chaos player, called dave. Another nice guy, who's army was:

Level 4 tzeentch on disc, puppet, golden eye, heaven knows what else.
exalted tzeentch on disc, i think he had the enchnated shield?
exalted tzeentch on daemon horse, magic res + wardsave

24 marauders, light armour, shields, Fc
24 marauders, great weapons, FC
5 puppies
12 warriors, champ, banner banner of rageyness
5 knights
2 chariots
4 trolls
giant

THe dm faced off the trolls on one flank, with support from some dp, i had DP on the other flank opposite a giant and the disc exalted, everything else was in a face off in the middle, with a hill in my lines for my archers and a single bolter. He failed to get either good spell for his lord, and i chose metal for the AM

first turn i sent the DM to kill some trolls, moved all my army up and went off with some magic, The DM killed a troll and a bit with fiery blast they panicked, shooting did in a few warriors, and i found out about the banner,after a Distiallation of molten silver on his general had drawn a scroll and rule of burning iron killed his warrior champion.In his turn the Trolls rallied, He moved up with his knights and chariots behnd his marauders and hounds (mistake..), magic was inneffective and his giant threatened a charge on my DP.

I charged (central) DP + BSB into his warriors, dumped an eagle infront of his knights (with the other exalted). Archers wandered forward then killed some doggies with shooting, the dragon moved to magic more trolls, the level 4 to spirit his general, swordies moved straight for some marauders and the dp backed away from the giant. magic saw me kill some more trolls, and spirit of the forge on the general caused three wounds, which he saved and my shooting killed the dogs and took 2 wounds off the giant. I fluffed in combat, only killing 1 or two, he held. The disc exalted charged in the flank of my DP in combat, the giant moved to see the middle of my lines. His magic did nothing, his knights didn't charge the eagle. In combat my bsb bounced his exalted (i should take about a wound) the dp did a little, and the bsb one so his units won by a little bit.

turn three:
i charged his giant with some DP, my swordies into the flank of his exalted, and moved my other stuff up a bit (leaving some DP back to claim a table quarter) the archers moved up to look at the middle of the board. i miscast spirit, but only did a wound to myself, and the dragon finished the trolls i shot some wounds off the chariots. in a huge swing for me, the BSB smashed his exalted, the DP survived combat so i destroyed his warriors on combat res and pursued, my swordmasters hitting the front of a marauder block, and the bsb (taking the banner from the warriors) ran infront of a chariot, my dp killed the giant.
the chariot charged my bsb, the level 4 charged mine (who fled), the marauders moved up to see my swordmasters' flank and the knights charged the eagle. In combat my swordmasters (champ used talisman) turned the marauders into leaky meat, pursued and threatened a charge on the chariot in combat with my bsb. my bsb bounced all his attacks but fluffed in return.

My lord rallied, i flanked his general with archers, he fled. I charged the annoying chariot with my remaining swordmasters. I killed his general with spirit of the forge (about bloody time!). killed one chariot with shooting and the other in combat. leaving him with some knights and marauders.

Rest of the game was me flying around mopping up and claiming quarters, i left him with one knight and the remaining exalted.

so another huge win, and looking at my opposition, i knew i was on table one, facing the VC army that had just (almost) tabled my mate. ah.....

---------------Game 3 -----------------------------
My opponent had
level 3 vamp lord, knows all spells, red fury, nightshroud, sword of might
level 1 bsb, hauberk, +1 combat res, hatred, tal of lycni
level 1 vamp, flies, sword of battle, periapt
necro on corpse cart, van hels, book
2 skellie units (don't remember sizes)
20 zombies
2x5 wolves
3 bats
20 ish grave guard, fc hatred banner
4 blood knights

and he may have had some other stuff, can't recall

i deployed Dp on either flank, with everything else central, swordies infront of bolters+wizards to stop a first turn charge.
he deployed all but BK in the centre his general in the GG, BK on one flank. My spell rolls were good and the Lord took high magic, his didn't matter as both level 1's took raise zombies.

I got first turn moved forwards and did a little with shooting/magic. drain magic went off.
he moved forwards his general's unit rushing the full 8", not a lot of magic success (because i'd got drain off)

I charged swordmasters and the BSB into his grave guard, the BSB failed a fear test (i was hoping the swordies would standstill the combat so the BSB could get a few rounds of attacks into the lord and kill it). The swordies got in, died and ran off, his general overran into my BSb (in a unit of DP).
From this point on i didn't even get a look in at the game, all i had left was my level 4, the rest i couldn't stop getting caught.

So a huge loss to end day 1, which was a shame as the next armies on table 1 were: daemons w/ flaming BT + flamers (good match for me), tomb kings (excellent match for me, i shoot the chariots and hide behind my swords), more TK: shame, but hey.

--------------------Game 4-----------------------------
I got drawn against a guy called lance, my first opponent's father, he was using an orc and gobbo list that looked like:

BO lord on wyvern, shagga's sword
orc level 2
gobbo level 2 with itty ring and 3 scrolls between them
BSB with morks totem

2 big units of orcs
2 units of error boyz
5 spiders
5 wolves
giant
5 savage biguns
4 bolters
doomie

He had arrers , savages and wolves on my left flank, opposite a DP unit + eagle, both blocks, lord and giant in the centre, opposite most of my army, and spiders + a bolter on the right flank, opposite DP + the dragon mage. I got fiery blast on the DM and took beasts on the AM, he got eadbutt and a litle spell on the orc and both magic missiles on the gobbo.
His first turn he did a wound to my bsb because i can't dispel the itty ring (i rolled a 1), and moved some stuff around, hiding the giant and wyvern behind a hill in the board's centre, shooting was amazingly innefective. I then sent a unit of DP to see his lord's flank, moved my cetnre up and dumped the DM in 20" of the flanking bolter. Magic drew 2 scrolls (one for beast cowers, one for wolf hunts the dp into the flank of the general).

His lord killed some arches, his giant moved to the side of my lines and his units moved up, using some wolf riders to block my leftern DP from killing a bolt thrower.
I failed terror with my lord and a dp unit, failed panic with my swordmasters, charged a bolter with the DM and overran into sight of his warmachines (not off the board as intended) my DP charged (using a dodgy trick) into his blocking wolf riders, but failed the restrain pursuit, so pursued infront of his savages. overrall a bad turn then.

For the rest of the game, i did everything i could to keep my wizards alive, ending with both of them just alive and eventually getting both big blocks with panic/terror from the dragon mage, and failing to break his general in the last turn with a flank charge from my swordmasters.

unfortunately, he held onto enough points to get a 6-4 win.

So two games left and i'd got two big wins, one big loss and one little loss, and i got more VC in my next game..... YAYYYY[/sarcasm]

---------------------------------GAME 5-----------------------------------------

Ok so more VC: something like

vamp lord, flies, don't know what items
ethereal vampire
lycni vampire w/ sword of kings
another vamp of some sort...

3 smallish units of ghouls
big unit of fellbats
corpse cart
some pupppies i think..
varghulf
2 wraiths+banshee

something like that (as you can tell i wasnt paying much attention to this)

He deployed pretty standard, ghulf and bats on my left, wraiths on the right, ghouls in the middle with characters in.
i deployed with masters screening everything expensive and DP on the flanks.
He ghoulkin-ed forawrd (shock...), i went first, rushed everything forward and magiced off the wraiths, leaving the banshee on one wound, then drain magic got scrolled. He charged with one vampire and the bats into some DP + BSB, hid the banshee and joined the eth vamp to the unit (both were hiding in a wood). his lord hid behind his troops (i know...) and his magic did very little. DP held in combat with the bats + lycni vamp
I moved both wizards to see his lord, blew him up with magic.
Rest of the game was swordmasters running through things, he got tabled and i won 9-1.

------------------------GAME 6-------------------

More VC, again, still, i felt if i won i'd be in with a top 5 finish, so i decided to really go for it.

He had:
lord on zombie dragon, +1 combat res -1 leadership, flayed hauberk, book, something else.
hero on flying horse, nightshroud, periapt
hero on flying horse, something?

some zombies
smallish ghoul unit
smallish skellie unit
some dogs
2x3 fell bats
2 wraiths+ banshee
varghulf
6 black knights, hatred banner

he screened his wizards with fellbats, and deployed pretty standard. I deployed in what is rapidly becoming a standard vc deployment. again taking high on the level 4...
I went first, moved my troops up, lining up some LOS with my bolters. Magic killed the fellbats in the centre, so i could see his nightshrouder with both bolters (i'd moved with this in mind). i miscast curse of arrow attraction, and got the irresistable, forget the spell thing, so my bolters shredded his wizard. good first turn then.

He moved his dragon up, showing flank to a unit of DP (i was considering the charge...), moved his knights up on the left, his varghulf up on the right, and hid his wraiths from my oppressive magic phase, he had his lord looking across the field but screened from one bolter with a wood. his magic did very little, but it did get some zombies in the way of my flank charge :(

Turn 2: i moved my masters up, swapped the champ over to the flank near the lord (guess what i'm gonna gamble on...) and set up supporting charges and whatnot with my DP. i then cast a few magic missiles around, wounding some more bats, then cast vauls unmaking from the level 4, taking the hauberk off of the lord (i was so chuffed with this move), however i'd been forced to move the bolter who could see him, so that i could hide my dragon mage.
He took the bait and charged my masters with his lord and some skellies in the front... i was thinking that this could be game over right here (if i can roll some 4s i win. However the masters failed both tests, and died to the lord. I lost a bolt thrower to some fell bats, and his magic did very little.

I shot the dragon from under the lord, wounded him twice, but failed to bring him down, he charged some spears, killed them (didn't die to loads of s3 attacks), i kept trying to get the lord, unfortunately eventually placing my level 4 in charge range of a bat, and losing me my entire army in the last turn (bloody dance macabre).

turned out lord had a flaming weapon but avoided dp till he was on foot, so his magic lance vanished.

Result: 9-1 to him.

In the end i finished 12th in the tournament and i believe, top high elf player (if i'm wrong i apologise, but i didn't see any others near the top). I've decided the ring of corin is necessary for a tournament magic heavy list (one vauls unmaking turns a nasty thing into a soft one - imagine losing the armour of caledor off the dragon and facing bolters etc with a 5+ save). And that i need to banner of balance the masters since i plan on them being away from the general, so i'm gonna be on ld8.
other than that i was pretty happy with the list. I should probably take 2 level 2's instead of the dragon (it gets me a second scroll, extra dispel dice, better spell selections and my favorite ring) but i like using my dragon mage.
in the end, despite throwing two games i should have won, i was pretty happy with my result.
Tomb kings won the tourney, by about 1 or 2 points over a bloodthirster army.

The cheesy VC i played in my second game got his comeuppance: he played tomb kings in game 4 ish, and got run off the table (he couldn't deal with the TK magic), he then got tomb kings again, and got the same result, poor guy.
Anooyingly my friend, who i went to the tournament with, finished 11th.
Last edited by geoguswrek on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
WarpPhoenix

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009...

#2 Post by WarpPhoenix »

Oh the fickle buisness we call magic! Everytime a slann miscasts a chaos player get his wings. Its pay back for a lifetime of not miscasting.

On a serious note did the slanns ignore 6's thing actually do anything? or did he forget to declare it like most people do?
Hey, does this cloth smell like chloroform?
geoguswrek

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009...

#3 Post by geoguswrek »

It was declared, on the AM in the second turn, i just rolled loads of fives instead. Third turn i knew he had it so my flying wizards decided not to be near him (how strange) and then he exploded.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
AJ21st

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 2 up

#4 Post by AJ21st »

I'm interested in how you maneuvered your Archmage on Great Eagle and the Dragon Mage, both with no protection at all (from shooting). Good job for winning with the Dragon Mage!
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]
geoguswrek

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 2 up

#5 Post by geoguswrek »

5 of my 6 games were against armies with little or no shooting, so i didn't have too much trouble dodging shooters.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
geoguswrek

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 3+4 up

#6 Post by geoguswrek »

Games 3+4 now up.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Stormie

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 3+4 up

#7 Post by Stormie »

Nice reports, look forward to the rest!
geoguswrek

Re: Geoguswrek does Tides Of War 2009... GAME 5 + 6 up

#8 Post by geoguswrek »

Games 5+6 up now.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Comrade Igor

#9 Post by Comrade Igor »

Thanks, it was a nice read.

Your special choices are interesting, you've forgone the usual suspects. I could really see a holding unit working well for your army, thoughts on that?

I like the army, it's different to usual HE in that it has chaff, or well, unit that don't set you back too much if they die, redundancy you know. Do you think thats a better aproach to having fewer but more juiced up units?

I'm asking because i've spent weeks trying to figure out a good HE list and i'm stuck, never before has this happened (two things for sure, no Teclis or Dragon).
geoguswrek

#10 Post by geoguswrek »

I usually go much more down the redundant route, however going to far can e a mistake, as i said i missed the banner of balance in the swordmasters (and it gives me options against dark elves). That said it is definitely nice to be able to let a few spells through against lizardmen and not worry too much, or to have things to chuck at wizards and hope without worrying if they are run down. I think having a few chaff units is the way to go.

On the special choice front, i agree that having a holding unit wouldn't be a bad idea, but they are expensive and slow, which is why i didn't take any of these units. I think the army might be better if i took a unit of WL(about 8) instead of some DP, dropped the spears to more archers, and took a couple of magic banners in there (by dropping the DM to a pair of level 2's), that list would have a lot more options, and i didn't really use the third DP unit. Only problem is now i would have to prioritise with them a lot more. I don't know....
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Comrade Igor

#11 Post by Comrade Igor »

I was thinking more along the lines of PG for their resilience, in my latest incarnation i run 19 (for your list that's a bit excessive, 14 will do) with BoS (War Banner is better if you can find another place for BoS) supported by a Noble (i always support PG with a noble, gives them the much needed kills) with Reaver Bow, ToL, GW, DA. This means the anvil has a use when it's not in combat, and can handle combat better.

Agreed about the third DP unit, a pair will be more purposeful. And the Standard of Balance ofcourse.
geoguswrek

#12 Post by geoguswrek »

14 pg + noble costs a lot of points that i don't have. thats why i was thinking 8 white lions, because they are almost a straight swap for 5 DP, and are pretty safe for holding for one round, so i can put other stuff in. I'm also not a fan of phoenix guard, since if i'm putting support in, they may as well be white lions, but if i'm not, i can't rely on the s4 attacks to win the second round of combat (you get around this by using a noble, but he only has a 5+ save, so is prone to dying). Getting the R-bow in would be nice, but i'm much much more interested in squeezing in the ring of corin.
I can just shove the BoS on the DP for 70 points, it isn't that much more expensive and is relatively safe. It isn't even like i rely on the banner that much anyway.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Allerion
Librarian

#13 Post by Allerion »

8 WL would be better. because they can take control of wooded areas and attack from that. and they kill stuff.
Excited for TOW
geoguswrek

#14 Post by geoguswrek »

while true, i'll probably forget it if it would be of any use to me...
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD