HE vs Empire 2000pts

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Malibu

HE vs Empire 2000pts

#1 Post by Malibu »

Hi, just come back from the game and thought I would try my first report. As it is numero uno please forgive any lack of standard information or mistakes. These things are harder to write than I thought.
The game was played on a 4 by 4 with the new composite board so on each corner was high ground sloping down in the flat valley basin. He deployed on the northwest height across the north of the flats and up to the northeast heights whilst I did the same on the southern side. Two woods occupied the west and east of the board with the centre clear.

Scarlet Guard: 2000 pts.

Star Dragon with Prince: Lance, Vambraces, Armour of Caledor, Amulet of light. Shield.
14 WL with FC with Lv2 Mage (High) with 1 dispel scroll.
14 PG with FC with Lv2 Mage (Metal) with 1 dispel scroll.
7 SM
5 DP with St of Ellyrion
1 eagle
2 units of 10 archers

Stirland: (as best I can)
1 cannon
1 Master Engineer
20 spears with a mage in the front rank.
2 units of 6 Reiksguard (with another captain with some casket that steals items and a banner that causes panic)
1 Captain on Griffin
1 steam tank
6 Ogre Dogs of War
50 handgunners in 5 units of 10.

So...

ROUND ONE ding ding - Stirland win the toss and opt to go second which is fine because my dragon which I set up behind the trees on the east flies up and prepares to torch the handgunners. The Eagle draws up to the east of the easterly forest whislt the PG move into the centre. The WL on the left move in front of the woods joined by the DP's with the banner. The archers remain on the high ground to the southeast.
My metal mage opens up with law of gold straight away and snatches a banner from the Cavalry that would have caused panic. The high magic flops with a dispel of the Shield of Saphery.
The archers on the hill are just in range of a unit of handgunners and just gets 4 kills from twenty shots.
The dragon does the job by getting the three units of handgunners to BBQ themselves. The flame gets one whilst the other two drop over the table edge by losing the terror tests. Nothing else happens.

Stirland takes over and the steam tank, cavalry and ogres move forward whilst turning his cannon on my dragon. His handgunners remain on the northwestern hill protecting the cannon and engineer. His griffin flies over the western forest and lands in the back of my WL. His magic phase is a lot more effective with a flaming attack against my DP's (he forgot the armour) and the dispelling of his second spell. He then got out Aldred's Casket of Sorcery which I advise you to get rid of asap as he got the opportunity to take a spell of my choice. I choose the Law of Gold as I thought the Transmutation of Lead would be good against the knights.
His handgunners don't fire a shot the whole game but his cannon shot hits two of his own handgunners before bouncing into my dragon (on the northeast height) and causing two wounds. The master engineer is out of range and his pidgeons miss too. The steam tank gets three SM. So that ends his shooting phase and we proceeded to get into some combat.
His ogres lose the bull charge into my Phoenix Guard because they are too close and the PG proceed to take 1 casualty whilst dishing out 2 wounds and this causes the ogres to lose combat and flee into the Reiksguard who in turn end up falling back. This leaves the steam tank on its own in the centre of the field with the spears just to the left of it.

ROUND TWO:
The High Elves start by shifting the dragon into the flank of the ogres and the eagle follows up alongside. The WL on the west head for the forest to prevent the griffin from causing havoc and the DP's with the Ellyrion Banner smash through the forest and crash straight in the Reiksguard waiting on the other side. The Phoenix guard charge the steam tank if only to avoid getting hit first. The ogre and other Reiksguard unit get run off the northern tip of the table between the heights by the dragon and eagle.

The magic phase is over pretty quickly too with the only successful casts being a vital curse of arrow attraction on the griffin and the transmutation of lead on the Reiksguard by the wood which causes them to suffer even more damage later on.

The shooting phase mixed with the curse means the HE only miss three times. The randomise means three to the captain and the rest on the Griffin which gets hammered into the field. The captain runs away on foot.

Close combat starts with the Reiksguard getting hit by the DP's who over run into a waiting unit of handgunners. This sends the general into a panic and the Empire flees from the field with a swift handshake.

Three SM and 1 PG dead.

The empire selection was limited by what he had and I think he made some mistakes by not getting his griffin involved a lot sooner in amongst my WL. It was a good game that came down to tests in the end. Hope it reads ok too.

Malibu.
ilovecookies1

Re: HE vs Empire 2000pts

#2 Post by ilovecookies1 »

Wow you pretty much destroyed him.
Malibu

#3 Post by Malibu »

He misfired twice with his steam tank and some of his rolls were unlucky but nonetheless the HE won the day with the key unit being a mixture of the DP's and the PG because they dished it out and made em run.
dabber
Tactician

#4 Post by dabber »

The way you've written this has ogres charging PG on the bottom of turn 1. That is impossible, the units don't move far enough to get into charge range that quickly. ???
Malibu

#5 Post by Malibu »

As I said at the begining, report is not perfect but reflects what happened overall. It was all over so quickly.