Great Tournament in Burke, VA

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Arhain

Great Tournament in Burke, VA

#1 Post by Arhain »

Hi all. This last Saturday I had the pleasure of participating in a tournament up in Burke, VA that followed ETC rules. It was put on by CapitolGamingGroup (http://www.capitolgaming.com) and it was a great time.

The list I took has been play tested constantly the last few weeks, and I am pretty happy with it. I might hammer out some more little changes at a later date, but I am happy with it as an all comers list. Justifications are also included in my choices.

Prince
Barded Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield, Halberd, Helm of Fortune, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Guardian Phoenix.
The last incantation of this list included heavier magic, with an Archmage as the general. However, my playing style prefers supportive/defensive magic with minimal chances of miscast. The Radiant Gem is one of my favorite items, and spreads the Prince's usage across various phases. This combination used to have a dispel scroll in place of the Guardian Phoenix, however with the ETC rules limiting the amount of PD that can be thrown, and the possibility of having to hold up a heavy combat character looming, I decided to swap it out for the good ol' GP.

Mage
lvl 2, 2x scrolls, silverwand
Everyone is probably looking at this going "HE PAID THE POINTS FOR lvl 2 upgrade! LOL NOOB lollers." Well, not quite. The optimal magic defense for a list with a Prince is two lvl 2's with two scrolls and Annulian Crystal, that's 5 DD, two scrolls, and two attempts at Drain Magic. I prefer to consolidate points where I can, and feel with the Radiant Gem Prince combined with this lvl 2, I have come close to the optimal magic defense with a Prince while saving a lot of points in the process. Keep in mind, With this build I have 4 DD, 2 scrolls (3 if I choose to drop the GP on the Prince) and two attempts at Drain Magic. For the points paid, it has been incredibly effective for what I need.

Noble
Eagle, Sacred Incense, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Loec.
My opponents are getting incredibly tricky when it comes to defending their warmachines, and hiding incredibly good support units. I have started taking this noble to deal with these problems, and he has done an incredibly good job at it. With the usual Chicken noble build (starlance/Tol or Reaver Bow/whatever), he is easily shot off the eagle, or the eagle is easily killed out from under him. I enjoy the Reaver Bow combo, but this present combo has made him incredibly effective at his role. At the Colonial GT this year, he successfully took out a hand gunner unit with a mage in it that was bunkered down on a hill, flew through Dark Elf battlelines without a huge fear of Repeater Crossbow shots, assassinated generals hiding in units, and disposed of Shade units. He doesn't have to be afraid of skink blowpipes either :twisted: .

Core:
10 x archers
10 x LSG, musician
10 x LSG, musician

This gives me ample bow fire to deal with support units, and when concentrated it gives me a good killing base. The LSG detachments can double as hth support, RBT guarding, and table quarter snatching.

Special:
Tiranoc Chariot
The Tiranoc Chariot is there because he's cheap, fast, and can add some damage to any combat he's involved in. His job is to hunt war machines on the flank, kill off other support units, or combo charge to get maximum damage. For 85 points, I'm quickly beginning to love these guys in conjunction with some of our other troops.

Lion Chariot
Awesome unit. Make sure it stays alive, and he can single handedly tie up units or guarantee a win for your side. I used to think they were too expensive for what they do, and while they still may be a little over costed, they are incredibly effective killing machines that demands constant attention from the opponent.

5 x Reavers, musician, bows and spears
Fast cav, need I say more? I always take the bow option, because every little bit counts.

15 x Phoenix Guard, full command, War Banner, Dragon Horn
Favorite unit in the army since 5th edition! In 5th, they were incredibly underwhelming. I loved their models and their fluff, and because they weren't good as the other elites I used to view them as the underdogs. When 7th hit, everyone looked to the White Lions and Swordmasters instead of the PG. That slowly shifted, and now they are one of the most popular units in our army. Almost makes me sad because they used to be a secret to the older players that used them. Now they are seem often. Anyways, War Banner to add to their static CR, and the Dragon Horn because I have a knack for failing psychology and rally tests. For 25 pts, the item is amazing.

5 x Dragon Princes, Standard Bearer, Banner of Ellyrian
Pretty straight forward, no real comment.

5 x Shadow Warriors
I had the points for one, and second they add to my army's control over the movement phase. I have also been using them as effective screeners, and get a good warmachine kill in now and then. Usually people are smart about guarding war machines though, so they are more often than not securing table quarters, screening, and messing up my opponents movement.

Rare:

2 x Great Eagles
2 x Repeater Bolt Throwers
Pretty straight forward, no comment.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Arhain

Re: Great Tournament in Burke, VA

#2 Post by Arhain »

Game 1. High Elves vs. Dark Elves

The list I played against for game 1 was not your typical list:

Archmage...Grand Sorceress...whatever it's called :D Reverse Ward save, other goodies.
Sorceress, Sacrificial Dagger, scroll.

Core:
5 x Harpies
24 Spears, full command, war banner
24 Spears, full command
5x Dark Riders, musician
5x Dark Riders, musician
5 x Dark Riders, musician
Assasin, Rune of Khaine, Killing Blow, Cloak of Shadows

24 Black Guard, full command, ASF Banner
6 Shades, Bloodshade

2 x RBT
Hydra.

Hmmm, pretty sure that was it. At first glance, it does not seem like a very strong list. However this guy was incredibly experienced, and knew his army very well. It was a very close game until the bottom of turn 5.

Turn 1 saw us both in a bloody contest to take out all of our support units. With my eagle noble charging into his shades in turn 2 (with the Sacred Incense, I don't fear charging into a shade unit. He now needs 6's to hit me, and his Blood Shade needs 5's) , I held control of the left flank fairly quickly. Sea guard on the left flank would move up and continue to support the reavers shooting at the remaining dark rider unit and end up holding opponents table quarter. After taking out his support units, My shooting began focusing on taking out his own RBT's, and beginning to take out the Black Guard. I knew I had to get into combat if I wanted to win, because his magic was smacking me around (I rolled very poorly on all of my casting attempts that game, so no drain magic for the first half). On turn 4, the eagle was finally finished off out from under him (was going for his remaining RBT's, and hoping to draw fire too. He was far even behind enemy lines and close enough to the hill that I was ok with the eagle dying at that point). He charged with the lion chariot into a unit of Shades, hoping to break through and over run into the RBT. Lion Chariot did amazing, doing 7 wounds by itself (5 impact hits, didn't roll very well for the actual attacks though) and the Noble doing a further 1. The unit broke (needed a 7) and the eagle noble (now on foot) managed to over run into the RBT! Who needs an eagle!? Turn 5 saw my DP's and Phoenix Guard (now only 6 of them, Dark Elf magic is tough, even with a ward!) getting into combat with the Hydra, I did 2 wounds to it, and killed a handler. He did 2 wounds back to the Dragon Princes, ended up losing by 3, and needed a 5 to stay. Also, turn 5 also saw two successful drain magics, insuring that I would be free of harm during Turn 6. Turn 6 saw a lion chariot and LSG (who had come down from the hill on the right flank) charge into a spear unit, did great damage, and the spears ran.

In such an army relying on blocks, the guy really needed a BSB around to help him out. Both spear blocks lost their break test by 1 (would need like a 7, and rolled an 8). In all, my army performed incredibly well. All the units performed well in their assigned tasks, and I was very happy with its' performance. In addition, I was complimented with the overall balance of the list, which is always great to hear. My opponent was fun, and in truth it was a close game until the end.

Notes:
-The eagle guy did great. Because of him I was able to dominate the left flank, and ended up getting his last RBT because of him.
-Lion Chariot was a champ in this game.
-LSG on the hill in my right flank were great in adding support fire, and in their versatility was shown in the late game when they stepped down to support the lion chariot. The second unit on the left flank was also able to help the reavers kill off the remaining dark riders, because the reavers would not do it by themselves (dark riders out shoot the reavers like mad). Their was also a hill located in that table quarter, so not only did they aid in capturing the quarter, they also set up shop on a hill and had two more rounds of shooting.

I'll try to get some pictures going. Anyways that's Game 1.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
~Milliardo~

#3 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

A great list and a great battle report, Arhain. Very unorthodox list, unless... well, you're me! ... it's very similar to one of mine, the main differences being I take White Lions instead of Phoenix Guard and I like my LSG in units of 12 instead of 10. :3

It's nice to see someone using a lot of the 'weaker' indirect support units to get a cohesive army together though, instead of just plowing straight through. I'll put this thread on watch, so please post more... it's fun to see an army I can actually relate too once in awhile. :3

... Mage Knight! X3
Arhain

#4 Post by Arhain »

Glad to hear that Mill. I figure you'd like to hear about it, if nothing else for the use of the Radiant Gem, an old old favorite of mine. Hell I was using that in 6th haha. Sorry again for the lack of pictures. Here is game 2.

Lizardmen vs. High Elves.

Alrighty, first of all, I have a decent amount of experience playing against 7th edition lizardmen with 1 Engine of the Gods, and that has always been tough. I wasn't lucky enough to play against a 2 Engine list until this tournament, and I absolutely hate it.

Anyways, his list was something like this:

Skink chief (general)
-On Terradon, Shield of Mirrored Pool...something else, spear, light armor.
Skink priest
-Engine of the Gods, dispel scroll and diadem.
Skink priest
-Engine of the Gods, cube of darkness.
Core:
24(?)skinks with 3 Kroxigors, full command
24(?) skinks with 3 Kroxigors, full command
10 skinks with javs
Special:
5 Terradons
6 Chameleons

Rare:
3x Razordons
3xSalamanders

Ok, i'm pretty sure that was it.

Here is my lame attempt at a deployment picture. If it's that bad...which it is, i'll improve it later. Quick key for you on the letters:

Lizardmen:
S - skink
SK - skink & Kroxigor
T - Terradons
C - chams
R - Razordons
Sal - salamanders
E - engine of the gods

High Elves:
R - reavers
A - archers
LSG - Lothern Sea Guard
WC - White Lion Chariot
DP - Dragon Princes
PG - Phoenix Guard
T - Tiranoc Chariot
squigly bird lines - Eagle
squigly bird lines with an L shape through it - Chicken noble
Pi looking symbols are in fact bolt throwers.
I forgot to label them, but the blue dots in the left corner are my Shadow Warriors.

Now, looking back I definitely should have put the Dragon Princes on the left flank with the rest of my hard hitting/fast stuff, but other than that I liked my deployment. RBT's were put somewhat behind the archers, however they could still see around the sides of the unit towards the center, and if they needed to could see over the archers at the Engines. The Engines were deployed at an angle behind the hill that I could only shoot at 1 if I got the first turn. LSG on far right flank were deployed in a line, second unit by my battle line were deployed 5x2 to take the hill on turn 1. However, as luck would have it, I did not have the first turn. There is actually an ongoing joke in my gaming group, because I can't remember the last time I actually went first in a game! Very obnoxious. Anyways, this battle report will be a little better than the last, because now a picture will give a better glimpse of the battle. I'll update the other one afterwards.

Turn 1. Lizardmen moved full speed forward, Engines hid behind the hill, chams moved up slightly, skink unit in left corner (obviously placed there to secure table quarter for the game) simply moved up slowly. Razordons moved full speed toward the right flank, Sallies moved forward to get a shot at the PG next turn, being careful to stay out of range of my DPs.For magic, Engines gave ward save and lowered casting value of heavens lore. He got no spells off. No shooting. My turn, moved combat aspects of the line forward, LSG took the hill, shadow warriors moved up to take a charge from the skinks, staying in the woods in case he decided to shoot at me. Left flank units moved up to get a charge on the chams, eagle moved up as close as it could to those woods so it could start disrupting his lines on Turn 2. Eagle on the right flank moved up to march block, hoping to even make the razordons stop their advance towards my line to kill off the eagle, which would give me another turn of shooting at them (turn two would see 20 LSG shots at them as opposed to 10). Chicken noble positioned itself for a charge if the Engines came on the right flank, i'd gladly sacrifice him to take out those priests, that is well worth the 195 points for the points. Shooting was uneventful, targeting his razordons and sallies since his engines were hiding, took off some skink handlers and did a couple wounds to the monsters.

Turn 2: Lizardmen ranked units move up only slightly, sallies move up a bit more to ensure great range on their shots, razordons do not take the bait with the eagle and move towards the LSG. Chams moved to kill the eagle on the left flank, skink unit on the left flank charged my shadow warriors in the woods. Terradons move slightly behind the Engines, who have also moved across the hill straight towards my line, closer to the right side of the center hill to block the line of sight from the DPs ( terrain is a bit off on the diagram, which made it look like there's no way my DP's couldn't see the Engines, sorry!). For magic, 1 engine managed to kill off the eagle with it's pulse, which is a rather unlikely event...then other one give a ward to units around it. All other magic dispelled. Shooting, other eagle dies to chams. Razordons kill a total of 7 LSG that are in a line, I do not panic though...I hate those things. Sallies kill a total of 4 PG, and that's only doing partial hits, I just couldn't roll wards to save my life. Combat with the shadow warriors went well, won, but of course he holds with the stupid lizardmen leadership. My turn, tiranoc chariot and reavers charge into the chams. I was honestly afraid his stand and shoot would kill off one unit if I charged alone, so I charged the two in together. WLC and DPs charge the salamanders, which flee. Choose to redirect into a ranked skink unit with kroxigors, which also flee. DPs fail their fear test and stay put, while the WLC moves up for its failed charge. For shooting, I unloaded a full load of RBT shots into one of the Engines, did a wound to one priest and killed some crew...that's it. Sigh. Killed more handlers, and downed a razordon and put some more wounds on the others with LSG fire (LSG unit took the hill and fired in two ranks). Magic, couldn't rolled worth a damn! Combat, won combat again with the Shadow Warriors, skinks roll insane courage. Chariot and Reavers (who came out with two wounds on the reavers due to the chams firepower, lucky there with my saves) killed all but 1 cham...another insane courage roll to hold.

Turn 3: Sallies and ranked unit rallies...of course. Razordons move toward my line. One engine charges my LSG holding the hill, I flee. Engines move up again, having come around the hill closest to my line. Here's where I start getting a little irked at 2 engines. They pulse, kill 7 LSG that had fled when charged, and 2 DPs. Must kill! In combat, I whiff with the Shadow Warriors, and they skinks (who should have fled two combats ago) beat me but I hold. I kill off the last stupid cham and stay put. My turn, chicken noble charges into one engine, while the LSG that rally (now 3 strong) rally and position themselves to guard my line's flank from the engine not in combat. My reavers turn toward the center and move only slightly (march blocked due to the skink unit that's still alive somehow...). Chariot turned to face the center. PG with Prince move up a bit more (already passed the point of no return as far as advancing, well beyond range of Engines now). Shooting wiffs again, doing almost nothing to the engine i'm shooting at. In combat, skinks on the left flank roll insane courage again and hold the shadow warriors. Chicken noble burns his ToL (I don't trust my rolling when something NEEDS to die), and indeed I roll 3 2's when I first roll to hit. Thank god for the ToL. I do 3 wounds to him, and another from the eagle, which would make 4. However, in my excitement of finally killing one of the damn things I forgot to issue a challenge. I thought it would have been obvious, but stupid me forgot to issue it. No matter, he only manages to do a wound to the eagle (luckily) and it's a push. 1 Engine down though.

Turn 4. Right flank has officially buckled. Razordons move up to my line, as do the sallies. Skink unit that rallied last turn moved up to my line, only thing that can now do damage to it would be the WLC, as I feared the DPs would be further hurt by a pulse. DPs move up in case the WLC needed help, and to get away from pulse. He did pulse, killed the eagle on the chicken noble, killed off the remaining LSG units. My turn, lion chariot and the prince from the PG unit charge into the skink unit that rallied. PG charge into other skink and krox unit (3 krox's are dwindled to 2 from random shooting). Both skink units decide to hold. Archers have nothing to shoot. RBT's whiff again against the Engine not in combat. In combat, PG manage to beat the unit (killing off another krox), but they roll insane courage. WLC and Prince alone beat the other ranked unit, who proceeds to roll a 3 to hold (what he needed). Seeing a trend yet? DP's can't do even 1 wound to the sallies, and combat is tied. Shadow warriors finally kill off the damn skinks on the left flank. Chicken noble dies to a pulse, no combat there.

Turn 5. Terradons fly over DPs, killing one. Engine without priest charges into RBT. Engine that wasn't ever engaged moves towards where the combat is going. In magic, pulse kills the WLC (3 wounds to it) and fails to do anything to the Prince. RBT obviously dies in combat. Skink champion issues a challenge to my Prince, ensuring him being beat in combat (at this point I need 4 wounds to tie, in which case he has a musician. With the challenge, I can't finish off the remaining kroxigor, and he'll auto break me). Prince runs from combat. PG and skink/krox unit push. My turn, Prince doesn't rally, flees into the same damn unit that made him run, and dies. DP's charge into the Sallies (2 DP vs. 2 Sallies, one with 1 wound left), archers charge into the terradons (better than him charging me next turn with more S4 attacks). Chariot charges into PG combat to tip the scale. No shooting (if I remember correctly, Engine overran enough to get into grips with the other RBT). Combat, DPs can't do a single wound, and combat is tied. PG with the Tiranoc chariot break the skink unit...and they get away. Archers lose combat by a small margin, hold.

Turn 6. SKink unit that was just beaten rallies from combat...sigh. Nothing special in combat. Ranked unit that just took out the prince moves to the left table quarter to contest it from the reavers. Archers hold in combat. My turn, nothing.

At the end of the game, he had two table quarters, and two banners (from the DPs). He had 5 insane courages in total (i think that's correct), and I couldn't shoot worth a damn to kill off the stupid engines and his pulses were disgustingly good.

Learned: I can handle 1 Engine, but two engines are ridiculous. Next time I play against a 2 engine army, i'm throwing everything into combat with them to try to kill them off. I'll sacrifice eagles, reavers, and whatever just to get at that Priest. Getting past the 2+ save is doable even with S4, and i'll focus on that next time. Other than that, I believe my opponent, although he was indeed a good player, got lucky with all of his psychology (panics, didn't mention them very much in the report) and break test rolls, my shooting was also terrible all game, which didn't help at all. Still a fun guy to play against, and he actually had a high elf army too, so he can't be all that bad :D
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

~Milliardo~

#5 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Those are indeed some lame pictures, man... still, they helped a lot.

That was a rough battle with some harsh luck, but well-fought just the same - the skinks who wouldn't die was very amusing. :3
Arhain

#6 Post by Arhain »

hose are indeed some lame pictures, man...

Lame pictures?...or the best you've ever seen =D> ...random people in the background, " [-X Uh, no no. Definitely lame."

Still, they help. I'll improve them later if the mood hits me just right. Game 3 coming up in the next day or so. And holy crap it is awesome sauce.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

Interesting list, haven't had time to read the Batreps yet (apologies).

I like the 5-dice idea for your 3-dice and 2-dice Drains. I'm going with something similar myself. I've taken the Banner of Sorcery too. The theory is that if that gives me an extra spell the enemy will want to dispel (Fury?), I have more chance of getting Drain off.
Arhain

#8 Post by Arhain »

I like the 5-dice idea for your 3-dice and 2-dice Drains. I'm going with something similar myself. I've taken the Banner of Sorcery too. The theory is that if that gives me an extra spell the enemy will want to dispel (Fury?), I have more chance of getting Drain off.
Very true, i'm finding it very effective. I have 4 DD, can have up to 3 scrolls, and two drain attempts. Awesome possum while considering that I also have a combat character that can take a real punch. The 5 DD 2 scrolls (-1 PD because of the Annulian too) with two drains with 3 PD is the best, but this build allows me to have effective magic defense while still having much needed combat support with high Ld.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Arhain

#9 Post by Arhain »

Quick update, Battle 3 will be posted tomorrow, as I just pulled some massive over time, and am incredibly tired. I promise it's a doozy though :) High Elves vs. Brettonia.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

cidracin

#10 Post by cidracin »

I've reallly enjoyed the battle report so far keep on posting :D .
Cidracin Greyrider 12/14/3
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg7b4jp.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/v19he1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/s1efia.gif[/img]
Arhain

#11 Post by Arhain »

The long awaited (not really :) ) game 3 battle report is now here! This battle report proved once again that the High Elves have so many ways to control the movement phase that Brettonian armies have a tough time coping. Against High Elves, they really need peggy knights, a couple archer units, or some smaller throw away knight units that can deal with the opponents pesky units. Going into the game I was incredibly confident after seeing his list (didn't have things that could harm my support units, which I knew would amount to a win), and felt even better after the deployment. He had 7 drops to my 11 (not counting Shadow Warriors or Chicken Noble), which I took full advantage of during deployment. My opponent also warned me before the game, and I quote, "Dude, I've gotten incredibly lucky so far, so this game probably won't go well."

Brettonian Army:
Paladin (general)
Immune to killing blow and something else, regen...something else
BSB, an extra combat res if general is alive, something else
Paladin, gets an extra attack for every wound
Damsel, 2 x scrolls

A - 16 (?) archers
Y - 5 mounted yeoman with bows
KR - 8 Knights of the Realm, full command

Q - 8 Questing Knights, full command, some banner
E - 8 Knights Errant, full command, Errantry Banner
GR - 15 Grail Relique, full command

G - 7 Grail Knights, full command, some banner

His army was something like that. Unit size might be off in some areas. His general was placed in the Knight of the Realm unit on his right flank. His BSB was in his questing knights unit, and the damsel and extra paladin were in the grail knights.

My chariot and chicken noble were placed on my left flank to deal with his sole shooting units, while my LSG and one bolt thrower took up position on the hill. The archers and RBT were then put near the center, flanked by a White Lion chariot, the Phoenix Guard, and my Dragon Princes. A patch of trees were located directly in front of the DP's, which would allow me to get into position for a charge on turn 2. The second LSG were put up in front of the hill, so that I could move to take that position up on my 1st turn. The reavers were stationed on the right flank to take my opponents right flank out of the game. Eagles were both placed near the center to keep his grail knights busy, and provide support where needed. Prince in the PG, Mage in the LSG on the right flank. It was a great deployment that I felt incredibly confident with.

For magic, I chose metal for both mages, had two burning irons, the "you're a chariot or war machine don't move" spell, and the -1 to hit wound, and armor save spell (since I can't remember the name, i'll call it the debuff spell). He choose beasts...and rolled a 1. Magic was fairly uneventful during the game, due to a shortage in targets, as will be shown.

Turn 1: For the first time in a VERY long time, I got to go first. However for the record, since I did not actually have to roll this off, it does not count against my terrible record of never going first :D I honestly don't remember the last time I rolled to go first...actually I do it was against mono slaanesh daemons, and having the first round of shooting was amazing. Anyways, the shadow warriors double paced to the right of the Knights of the realm to slow down his advance, and to also make him feel some early stress (having one of your units in your opponents deployment zone on turn 1 causes stress, no matter how little it may be). The reavers moved up until I was about 10" away from his knight unit with his general. I doubted he would charge me, but it limited where he could go forward, and would funnel him to the left through the path in the woods if he wanted to go around. The LSG moved up onto the hill, enabling them to fire in 2 ranks. The DP's marched into the woods, taking care to have a couple of models that could still see the line of knights ahead. The PG marched forward 8", which would allow his Knights Errant to charge them, however leave his Questing Knights out of combat. The Lion chariot moved up a bit, ready to multi charge with the other hard units around it. The Chariot and the chicken noble moved up the battle field, wanting a charge on turn 2 to take out his only support units. The eagle further to my left flank flew as far as it could towards the front of the Grail Knight unit to start disrupting his main line. The second Eagle moved forwards only slightly, so that when I needed him on the next turn he could be close enough to assist. Magic saw nothing, as I failed to cast rule of burning iron with my Prince (i love rolling 3's) and my mage's attempt was scrolled (he didn't want to take a chance). Shooting saw his Mounted Yeoman's taken down to 1 model, and nothing else (damn armor!).
For his turn, he declared a charge on my reavers with his general's unit on the right flank (woot woot) to which I promptly fled. He also charged my eagle on the left, to which I also fled (could I ask for anything more?). Other units shifted slightly. However, his Knight Errant unit actually turned around for some reason. He later commented that he was going to move the unit to the left flank to assist the archers and yeoman...however in the mean time it left the unit's rare facing me behind the questing knights. No magic, shooting was uneventful. Now comes the fun...

Turn 2: Dragon Princes, the WLC, and the Prince out of the PG unit, charge into the Questing Knights with the BSB. I charged the Prince out because I wanted the extra high S attacks in there, and also to take out a character striking back at my WLC or DPs by challenging. I would hate to do a lot of wounds, but have his champion and character strike back and do wounds. My chariot and chicken noble also charged into the archers, which chose to stand and shoot. The Reavers rallied on the right flank, and once again moved in front of the knights of the realm unit. The eagle that was fleeing also rallied. The eagle that was waiting around flew in front of the grail knights, to once again take them out of any useful move in the next turn. The PG moved up, and slightly toward the Grail Relique unit. The Shadow Warriors moved into the far right woods, their march blocking had already done wonders, and they would now provide some extra shooting and hope to capture the far right table quarter. For magic, I did a wound to his general with rule of burning iron from my mage, and he scrolled my attempt at the debuff spell on the questing knights. In shooting, I decided to single shoot both bolt throwers at the Grail Knights, and ended up killing 4 of them (woot woot). The last mounted yeoman was finished off by the LSG. LSG on the right flank took down one Knight of the Realm from the general's unit. In combat, the WLC rolled a 6 for impact hits, and combined with the chariot's attacks killed 2 by itself. The Dragon Princes killed an extra 2, and the Prince killed off the BSB in a challenge. Seeing their brave standard bearer fall, the Questing Knights turned tail and ran. All decided to pursue and not only ran them down, but also charged into the rear of the Knights Errant (just silly that they were positioned like that). The Chariot and Chicken noble smoked the archers, who turned tail and ran. It was looking VERY good for me.

Once again, his general's unit wanted to try charging the reavers, which obviously turned tail and ran, getting away again. The Grail Knights also charged the eagle, which, even though he was only 1" away from them, rolled a whopping 16" (bwahahhaa, hilarious) so the Eagle got away! The Grail Relique also charged the PG, which couldn't wait for that action. In combat, as expected the WLC, DPs and Prince rolled through the oddly positioned Knights Errant. The DPs now had a total of 3 banners by the end of turn 2. The grail relique were beaten by the PG, and because they are not immune to psychology or anything, they auto broke due to fear. They were run down.

Turn 3: WLC, DPs and Prince came back onto the table, Prince moved into the DP unit, and began moving towards the general's unit that had been chasing the reavers. I would be able to move through the woods and get to him very quickly. The WLC moved back towards my center line, possibly getting into combat later with the remaining Grail Knights and the heroes within. The Chicken noble also moved towards the grail knight unit. The reavers once again moved in front of the knights of the realm, who were now facing the hill with the LSG. The LSG, being out of 8", moved off the hill (he would either sit where he was next turn, or charge the reavers and have no one to redirect into). PG moved towards the far left table quarter to claim it. In shooting, I killed off another grail knight. There were now 2 remaining with the damsel and paladin. No combat.

He charged the reavers again, who were caught (also leaving his flank open for my DP's w/Prince). Wanting to get rid of the eagle once and for all, his grail knights charged the eagle, who flew off the board. Nothing else.

Turn 4: DPs w/Prince charge the knights of the realm unit with his general, but fall 1" short, bummer! My chicken noble flies into the rear of the grail knight unit. DISCLAIMER! By this time, I knew the game was already won. If the game had been closer, I would have never charged the chicken noble in because the way the unit was situated left him in combat with only the damsel, who already had suffered a wound from shooting (forgot to say that earlier). I will go into more detail on why this is generally a bad idea later, but also why at this point I didn't care.
Skip to combat: The chicken noble basically had two choices: declare a challenge or not. If he didn't declare a challenge, the best he could do in combat was 1 wound. I would tie in combat and lose by 1 (not a big deal). OR, I could issue a challenge, the damsel could decline and move away, and have the spot filled up by a remaining grail knight, allowing me to do at least two wounds. Meh, going for a win (even though he'd probably hold in combat), I issued a challenge, and he declined. I burned my ToL, killed the remaining Grail Knights, and won combat. He stood, and we would continue the fight later.

Well now, I will go ahead and finish up the battle report. Nothing really worthy of mention happened in the last half of Turn 4, or turn 5 and 6. It was a complete and utter massacre, and one that I was pretty happy about. Brettonia simply has no highly effective means to deal with the amount of high movement support units that I have. 2xEagles, Reavers, and shadow warriors if I needed them to help out!. Even if he had not been sloppy with his Knights Errant, there is simply nothing he could do because I had enough units to absolutely dominate his movement. This game perfectly demonstrated the ability the high elves have in controlling the brettonian movement.

The next game is against Chaos Dwarves, and I promise that it was an unbelievable game. It will also highlight one of the unsung roles of Shadow Warriors. Trust me, it'll have you at the edge of your seat.

In his turn 3,
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

~Milliardo~

#12 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Excellent battle report and a great lesson in the importance of march blocking and support units. The Knights Errant facing the wrong way was hilariously tragic - I felt bad for your opponent. Great job, man. :3

... and yes, those are lame pictures. Keep em coming anyway though. :3
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#13 Post by Seredain »

Great battles you're having there. I am feeling some very serious love for your Perfumed Eagle Noble. He kicks complete ass.

As a sidenote on your struggle against the Lizards:

Unlucky dice aside, I think you have everything you need in your army to deal with two engines because you have lots of fast-moving assassin units. Throwing your chicken commander at one was obviously a good tactic and worked well, but couldn't you use your two eagles and/or the TC to jump and savage the other skink shaman? He'd die to two eagles easily (and one if only one got through). From then on you could happily redirect his lumbering beasts (or hit 'em with the PG's) while you run rings around the rest of his army, shooting and flanking it to crap.

So, don't despair! I bet if you had your time again you could own that list. As you say, next time just forget all the redireting for a time (except the reavers and scouts) and concentrate all of your considerable fast-support forces to wiping out those little shamans asap. We've got some great assassin units, and your army has basically all of them, not even counting the noble of awesomeness.
The Cavalry Prince - List Design, Tactics, Battle Reports

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=33584
Arhain

#14 Post by Arhain »

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you're digging this version of the chicken noble. He isn't the standard build, but instead he adds to my army exactly what I think I need, and fulfills that role perfectly. Plus, I have converted the eagle he rides on (simple conversion that works wonders, it is a wood elf warhawk with griffon wings. It looks amazing).I also mixed a couple of the platic kits to make the rider look awesome, so the model makes me happy.

ANYWAYS! On to Game 4, the last in the tournament, and probably the most fun for me. It was against the incredibly rare Chaos Dwarves, and this was only my second time playing them. I knew to watch out for Blunder busses, and I knew that their shooting in general was kind of crazy. I would also take care to minimize the impact of the Earth Shaker on the game, as that war machine is incredibly destructive.

Chaos Dwarf Army:
Bird looking thing with an L - Chaos Dwarf Lord on Great Taurus (flying monster)
4+ armor save, 4+ ward or regen? Immune to flaming attacks
Big hammer of hurt me, S 6 and something else special about it.

In a warrior unit - lvl 2 Chaos Dwarf wizard, two scrolls
In a warrior unit - lvl 2 Chaos Dwarf wizard, item that lessens both army pools by D3 a turn.
In a blunderbuss unit - lvl 2 Chaos Dwarf wizard, scroll and something else.

D -20 Dwarf Warriors, full command
D -20 Dwarf Warriors, full command
B - 15 Blunderbusses, musician
B - 15 Blunderbusses, musician
W - 10 Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
A - 10 Hobgoblin archers
A - 10 Hobgoblin archers

BC - 6 or 7 Bull Centaurs
Bow looking things - 4 Hobgoblin Bolt Throwers

Orange circle - 1 Earth Shaker Cannon.

For those of you who don't know, the earth shaker is inredibly devastating. Not only is it a nice stone thrower, however it also halves the movement of everything within a certain radius of where ever it lands. That is why for deployment, I seperated my battle line into three groups. The left flank group was comprised of the Tiranoc Chariot and the Dragon Princes, they would be able to charge on turn 2 if the earth shaker did not hurt them. The second group was in the center, with the WLC and the PG. The third group was the LSG, Reavers, Eagle, and chicken noble on the right flank. I seperated these groups out, because now the Earth Shaker could only slow down small segments of my army, while not limiting its' overall effectiveness. Also, I knew that in order to win the game, I would have to take out his shooting first and foremost, so to increase my chances of taking his shooting out in Turn 2, I placed my Prince in my Reavers ( he could not be shot at anyways if I didn't get the first turn, as the woods blocked the line of sight). That way, once the reavers engaged the units on his right flank, I would be more than likely to be winning combats. Also, I would be able to charge the Prince out of the reavers if need be. The chicken noble was also on the right flank, hoping to take out some bolt throwers and start running amok in his battle line.

Turn 1 - I GOT TO GO FIRST! BWHAHAHHAHA. Awesomeness, that was great. First time in a LONG time I won a dice off to go first, which in this game I needed badly! Anyways, turn 1 saw the eagle on the left move in front of the Bull centaurs. I could now charge the Earth shaker or the bolt throwers if he did not do anything about the eagle. My Tiranoc Chariot and Dragon Princes moved up, taking care to be out of range of the Bull Centaurs. The Tiranoc chariot however was in fact in range to charge his far left bolt thrower in Turn 2. The PG moved forward, along with the WLC, who shifted a little left to further space itself from the PG (once again, minimizing impact of the Earth Shaker). The most significant movement happened on my right flank. The LSG moved onto the hill, ready to fire on the hobgoblin archers in the woods. The Reavers moved their full 18" forward and slightly around the woods. The Shadow Warriors then moved their full 10" out of the woods to screen this incoming flank maneuver. Now the bolt throwers on his right side could not concentrate fire on the chicken noble (even needing 5's, since I badly needed his shooting gone, I did not want to take the chance that he would go down, usually i'm ok with those odds as that is what the chicken noble is built for, to take fire). He would have only one shot at the chicken noble, unless he also wanted to shoot at him with his far bolt thrower (which would need 6's). One bolt thrower could see to my reaver unit, but I was ok with losing one of those guys. My Prince was on the corner, and would be able to charge a Bolt thrower by himself in Turn 2. If the shadow warriors lived, they would also be able to charge. If all went well, during turn 2 I would cut his major firepower down to almost nothing. In magic, I managed to give the chicken noble a 5+ ward. During my shooting, since I had plans for his artillery, I focused fire on those damn blunderbusses. I managed to take out a rank of one of the units, making its' firepower S4 instead of S5.

For his turn, he charged the eagle in front of the bull centaurs with the fast cav unit. My eagle decided to flee, and got away safely. His wolf rider's flank was now available for the Dragon Princes and the Tiranoc Chariot. His Bull Centaurs moved forward at an angle that faced my Dragon Princes and Tiranoc Chariot. This move also might have gotten the bull centaurs in range to be flanked by my WLC, which would be lovely. His Dwarf Lord's mount also flew forward slightly to the left of the hill so that he could now see out at my incoming army. For his magic, he didn't get anything off, but with his item that limits my dispel pool (the D3 less a turn), I ended up burning a scroll and letting a PG die. For his shooting, he decided to slow down my left flank (DPs and chariot) with an earth shaker shot. The shot missed the DPs and chariot, however both were slowed. Also, his darn hobgoblin archers on his left flank actually managed to wipe out my reavers, leaving my Prince stranded! Ahhh! No one saw that coming, he rolled very well for that to happen. Now that the Prince was by himself, two bolt throwers (one that could see on his right flank, and another one on the hill) took aim at my general and opened fire. Both hit, both wounded! One did 2 wounds and I failed my ward save. The other would do another 2 wounds, but I made that ward save! Due to his unit of Reavers dying, he had to take a panic test, which he promptly failed! He ran away, but luckily it also took him out of the line of fire of anything else once I rallied. Phew, that was slightly ridiculous, but funny to see happen. He was smack talking about those damn hobgoblin archers for the rest of the game :) No combat.

Turn 2: My plan worked very well. My shadow warriors charged 1 bolt thrower, while my chicken noble charged the other. Dragon Princes and the Tiranoc chariot both declared a charge on his fast cav (potentially causing panic to the archers, bolt thrower, and messing up his battle line). He decided to flee, which was a good idea, because even with my movement halved I was in range with both units. My WLC also declared a charge into the bull centaurs, to which he prompty fled (he must have thought the charge range was only 14" on the lion chariot, only reason I can think of that he would move up so far). The WLC could also see the earth shaker, and would be able to charge in Turn 3 if I decided to. With their general sitting nearby, no one decided to run. The rest of my line continued to move forward, the PG hugged the tree line so that only one unit (the S4 one) could shoot at them during next turn, I would also be able to charge on turn 3. The LSG on my right flank moved a full 10 forward, wanting to get those wretched hobgoblin archers for utterly destroying the reavers. My Prince also rallied :) The LSG on my left moved down the hill, knowing their S 3 bow shots were not going to be as effective as a detachment role would be in the later game. During magic, I was able to get Drain Magic off, as he failed a dispel roll. In the shooting phase, I tried taking out his other bolt thrower on the hill, and only managed to kill 1 crew (almost had both!). Random other blunderbusses died. In combat, shadow warriors rolled their bolt thrower, as did the chicken noble. Chicken noble over ran behind the enemy lines, while the shadow warriors also decided to overrun. At this point, there were only 2 Shadow Warriors left. Overrunning would take me into one of the Blunderbuss units, which meant that they would not be able to shoot until at least Turn 4 (he could be in combat for his turn 2, which meant they could not move to redirect their fire at the main line. In turn 3, having killed off the shadow warriors, he could face the main battle line, but since he moved he could not shoot, hence taking them out of the game until turn 4). So, on Turn 2 my shadow warriors acted as an effective screen (well, would have if not for those damn archers killing the reavers), they took out a bolt thrower, and are now taking out a blunderbuss unit for two turns, i'd say that's great point usage).

For his turn 2, he decided to charge my WLC with his dwarf lord, which I decided to hold (I would have fled with either my Tiranoc or DP unit if he charged them instead). He was tragically out of 20" range (figured), and stopped 3 " in front of my WLC. One of the dwarf wizards moved out of a unit of warriors, sensing some looming danger coming his way. He also wanted to get some magic missiles towards the crumbling right flank. Bull centaurs and wolf riders rallied behind the hill, wolf riders moved forward and angled toward my incoming chariot and DP. For Magic, he got off Fiery Blast at my chicken noble (arg!) killing the eagle out from under him. Oh, forgot to mention, not only did he get the spell off, but he rolled a double 6 for the amount of S4's. Ouch. That has also rarely happened to me, the chicken noble tends to survive because of my own magic defense, maneuvering, and the Sacred Incense. Can't do anything about that amount of pain though! No wounds to the noble, but the eagle died. No problem, the wizard is still on his own, and my noble isn't very far :twisted: For shooting, his earth shaker decided to blow up! He would later say that it had a huge impact on the game, however his WLC was going to be dead on Turn 3, because that's what my WLC was going after. He had decided to try killing off the DPs and Tiranoc Chariot again, and would not have slowed down my WLC. Anyways, his other bolt thrower did 2 wounds to the Tiranoc Chariot. His blunderbusses took down 2 more PG. No other mention worthy shooting. In combat, my Shadow Warriors dragged down one of the blunderbusses and stabbed him to def! They in turn did nothing. He had two ranks and outnumber, and I killed 1. I actually held! That was a huge surprise!

Turn 3:
With the Earth Shaker dead, it was time to charge the WLC into the Dwarf Lord on Great Taurus. The LSG that had come off the hill on the left also charged in on the dwarf lord's flank (I was confident I could kill off the great taurus). I went ahead and blew my dragon horn, which ended up saving me because my WLC failed his first fear test. Dragon Princes charged the archers on the hill, and the tiranoc chariot charged the bolt thrower on the left of the hill. The PG charged into the Blunderbuss unit at S4, to which 1 other PG died. I was now at 11 PG, to his 11 Blunderbusses. I was confident I could win the combat, but the auto break due to fear would be great.Chicken noble now on foot decided not to aid the shadow warriors and go after the mage in the open (even without the eagle, he still knows his role!). The Prince moves up slightly behind the shadow warriors but out of charge arc if the shadow warriors broke and ran. They would not have his ld. to use on break tests too. In magic, he burned his scroll on a Drain Magic attempt. For shooting, I finished off the other crew of the other bolt thrower. In combat, The Dragon Prines and Tiranoc chariot mauled the archers and bolt thrower, and overran into the Bull Centaurs. The PG killed only 1 Blunderbuss, but that would seal their fate, as they were now outnumbered by a fear causer. They broke and the PG easily ran them down. The WLC didn't do as hot as I thought it would, and only managed to do 3 wounds to the Great Taurus (rolled a 3 for impact hits, and didn't roll well on any to wound rolls) the LSG also failed to kill off the last remaining wound. The Lord and mount killed off 4 seagaurd. I still won combat, however he made his break test. the Shadow warriors lost combat, but again held due to the Princes' leadership.

For his turn 3, a dwarf warrior unit charged into the flank of my Lion Chariot, and that was his only charge. I forget why, but his wolf riders were unable to charge into my tiranoc chariot or DPs...ah, they were behind the bull centaurs, although I honestly can't remember why. There was a reason for it...Anyways, in magic, he got an irresistable fiery blast on my noble that was chasing the wizard, and killed him off (this being only the second game he has outright died, for those of you wondering how often this happens). No shooting worthy of mention. In combat, my WLC finished off the mount (yay!) and even put a wound on the Lord. LSG did nothing but give the lord 2 kills. Chaos Dwarves won that combat with their static res, and the LSG ran away from combat, while the WLC stayed. Bull Centaurs got stomped on by the DPs and Tiranoc Chariot, beat then and ran off the board. Wolf Riders panicked and ran off the board.

Turn 4: LSG on the right flank charged into the hobgoblin archers. I turned the PG around to face the flank of the Blunderbuss unit fighting the Shadow Warriors, the Dragon Princes and Tiranoc Chariot came on top of the hill to charge the lone warrior unit. The LSG on the left could not rally, and continued to run. For magic, drain magic was cast, for shooting, I killed off the wizard who had killed my chicken noble (serves him right!). In combat, WLC took two wounds, did another wound to the Lord, and broke from combat. He did get away though :) LSG on the right flank took out the archers and claimed the table quarter (yay!). Shadow warriors broke (finally) and ran, although they got away.

For his turn 4, he chased my WLC again, but obviously did not catch him (still on the board though). Blunderbusses charged the fleeing shadow warriors, who fled away. His dwarf warrior unit turned and faced the DPs and Tiranoc Chariot. No real magic or shooting.

Turn 5: We ended on Turn 4! AHHH! Can you believe it? Turn 4 I would have taken out another wizard, an entire dwarf warrior unit, another blunderbuss unit, and possibly even shooting the dwarf lord to death! I would have also rallied the WLC! We had to quit due to time though, which got me a solid victory instead of a massacre :(

For the tournament, I ended up 10th out of 46, which I felt was great considering my list is a bit strange. I we had finished out this game, I would have finished closer to 5th.
It was a great tournament, loads of fun, and the best part is that for once it was only 15 minutes away from my house as opposed to a 4+ hour drive. I hope you guys enjoyed some of the reporting, even though I know i'm not the best at it. Still, I had some fun, and I'd like to compare those amazing diagrams to Picasso's art :)
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

~Milliardo~

#15 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

A great finish, excellent job. :3
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#16 Post by Seredain »

Great report. Sounds like it was a really cool tournament. I like the way the restrictions seemed to have created a bunch of really interesting and fluffy armies. I've actually taken my 2500 'all comers' list and turned it into a 2250 list to match the restrictions of that tournament... very difficult choices made (bye bye 3 RBT's...), but it really forces you to make some tactical choices when building your force. Hated having to lose one of my 4 characters but hey-ho.

Haven't been able to fit in Noble of Awesomness as of yet but I still have a couple of questions about him:

1. Do you give him a GW or a Lance? Lance obviously better at all-roud character assassination and makes better use of the ToL and the shield, but a GW would give Str 5 all the time (which is just fine for scouts, war machine crews, most mages) and would be useful for when/if the eagle dies.

2. Didn't you give the noble dragon armour? His being immune to flaming attacks should have meant that he wouldn't have died to that Fiery Blast when fighting the Chaos Dwarfs...

Arhain

#17 Post by Arhain »

Hahahah! Unbelievable! He DID have Dragon Armor, and it totally slipped my mind! Hahaha, hilariousness! Wow, I was remembering for the Dark Elf game because the hydra tried breathing on me. Wow, that's unbelievable. I cannot believe I forgot that, not only would that mean he'd live with NO wounds on him, but the caster would have been dead, and I would have been able to get the noble of awesomeness into combat with the Dwarf Lord, probably killing him with the ToL. Great catch, because no one I have told that battle report too caught onto that. That is the only game I had forgotten about the Dragon Armor. Hah, can't believe that.

On the Lance/ GW thing. I give him a lance, just because that S 6 comes in handy when trying to assassinate characters (as you just said). A GW would be great if the eagle died, but as I said that rarely happens, and the S6 is great. I have had games against Lizzies where I have flank charged a unit of saurus with a scar vet on the side (T5) and been able to kill him due to my S6 and ToL. Also, at the Colonial GT he was able to charge into a skaven unit (on the side again, with the character on the side) and take out the character with the S6 and ToL.

I actually had a talk about that same deal (GW or Lance) with the Dark Elf player, because the noble of awesomeness got into combat with two units while on the ground, and the GW would have been very helpful. If I had the points, I would probably equip him with a GW in addition to the Lance, just because that S6 is vital in a lot of cases. That S5 would mean i'd be wounding on 3's instead of 2's. That may not seem like much, but with the way I roll 2's, it makes a big deal.

Seredain, I cannot believe I forgot about the Dragon Armor. I am literally kicking myself right now. And on a side note, I like how you've started calling him the noble of awesomeness. When I am deploying characters, I actually always say, "Alright, now where's Mr. MAN goin." and I say it incredibly loud."

Damn Dragon armor, stupid me! :evil:
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Arhain

#18 Post by Arhain »

Also, a recap on what the noble of awesomeness accomplished at this tournament:

Dark Elves
-Killing a shade unit on the charge (a feat that none of my other support units could accomplish due to the nasty stand and shootiness of the shades)
-Aided a WLC on the other side of the board in combat against a spear block, his view extra wounds broke the spear unit.
-Killed a repeater bolt thrower after overrunning the spear block.

Lizzies
-Killed off an engine of the Gods priest

Brettonia
-Killed off a massive unit of archers on turn two (didn't say this in the report, but chariot wiffed and would have actually tied combat had it not been for the help of the eagle, that's poor luck, but it still makes me happy I have him in the army)
-Finished off the Grail knight unit
-Put a wound on the damsel

Chaos Dwarves
-Killed off a bolt thrower
-would have done SO much more if I had remembered the damn Dragon Armor! ARGH! :evil:
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#19 Post by Seredain »

Ha ha... shows what a difference 2 points' worth of kit can make...

Yeah, lance seems the best choice. Unfortunately in 7th you can't choose multiple weapons on your characters so you won't be able to take the GW as well. At least when he's using a hand weapon on foot he gets a save of 2+ in combat. That's something.

I have a half-finished eagle noble at home (lance, bow, hooded wood-elf head. Hmm... I'll have to lose the bow arm...). I'm going to get him finished and try this sucker out instead of the reaver bow noble on foot. His name shall be:

Arlathan, Noble of Awesomeness.

smart elf

#20 Post by smart elf »

great report :D

I really enjoyed reading it. That mistake with the dragon armor is really fun because i make those mistakes too once in a while. forgetting the banner of sorcery for 2 turns, or forgetting that that the chariot i fielded was on my paper an white lion chariot!!(i didn't had a white lion chariot at that time and used a normal instead) :D

keep up the good work =D>
Kylim

#21 Post by Kylim »

The Dragon Armor would also have saved the eagle, because DA makes both the hero and the mount invulnerable to fire.
Stormie

#22 Post by Stormie »

Smashing report. What was the actual result of the Lizardmen game though, how close was it?
Arhain

#23 Post by Arhain »

Hmmm, I think he had me by 700 -800 pts? I honestly don't remember the exact final results. As far as battle points, out of 20 points available to each players in a game, the Lizzie guy got 16, and I got 4 (infuriating). I wasn't massacred, so that was a plus.

Apparently I am not the only one who has issues against duel Engine lists. Those things are ridiculous. I've been reading reports on other websites about facing duel Engine lists, and the feedback is the same: it sucks. I've definitely learned that it's better to throw everything into combat with them and hope to kill the priests off, rather than wanting to actually win combat (hence not committing anything except the chicken noble). Next time I face a duel Engine, I need to really get anything I can into combat with those things to kill them off. Shooting should have been a little more effective, but overall it was a wacky game with the key insane courage rolls keeping me in combats that I shouldn't have been in.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Arromanche

#24 Post by Arromanche »

I played that Lizard army in game 4 on table 5 and lost but I killed both priests by charging out my Lord on one with a regular steg and my bsb on the other on turn two. Unfortunately the stubborn Stegs stayed and eventually killed off my Steg, lord and BSB. I finally killed off one Steg with a charge from my Temple Guard in the flank unfortunately it took two turns so they in turn were charged in the flank by a skink/krox unit and also the razordons and in the rear by the terradons. Guess what, I won combat by beating up on skinks! Love Temple Guard. But all the units stayed for another round and again I won again and again they stayed and that was where the game ended with a minor loss to me. :(

In the words of the great Han Solo. Great shooting kid! Don't get cocky! =D>
Harry C.

High Elves 7th 60-29-12.... 8th 9-2-2

Army Builder 2.2c
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Arromanche/
Arhain

#25 Post by Arhain »

Oooo I got you to post :twisted: But yeah, seems like you pulled some strategies against the Engines that I was hesitate to do (commit to killing those engines with anyone that can charge them). Next time that'll be different.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"