HE win Lonewolf GT (not me)

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

dabber
Tactician

HE win Lonewolf GT (not me)

#1 Post by dabber »

It wasn't me, so I don't have much in the way of details, but haven't seen this mentioned on this site. Special characters were banned and there was some sense of composition, but nasty Daemon and VC lists were certainly around.

In a field of 90, this High Elf list came out 5-0 with best overall:

Noble (general) with great weapon, Talisman of Loec, Reaver Bow- 141

Lev. 4 Mage with Jewel of Dusk, 2 dispel Scrolls, Dragon horn- 340

Lev. 2 Mage with Silver Wand, Ring of Fury- 185

Core-
20- Spearmen with standard- 190

19 Spearmen with standard of protection- 206

Special-
10 Whitelions with Lion standard- 187

5 Dragon Princes with standard and banner of ellryion- 175

6 Dragon princes with standard carrying war banner - 220

3 Chariots- 255

Rare-
1 Great Eagles- 50

3 Bolt Throwers- 300

Total: 2249
Flame of the Asuryan

#2 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

hmm..Seems like the Dragon Horn played an important part in his strategy. I like the big blocks of spearmen.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Griffon Prince

#3 Post by Griffon Prince »

This is similar to another list that I've seen that did quite well in another tournament. The other one had a level 4, a level 2 only one scroll and no BoS.
I've been thinking that Banner isn't worth it for awhile now. It's not so much the points as it is needing a unit that can carry it. I'd rather give my DPs other standards like those shown.
Banner of Arcane Protection is an interesting choice for the spears.
I wonder how this list would do against Warriors or Temple Guard. Str 5 doesn't seem to be enough against those units.

Kudos to the winner of the GT, whoever he/she is.
AJ21st

#4 Post by AJ21st »

It's good to know that this kind of list could still win in tournament, a balanced list with magic. I like the composition of the army, every unit does his best job: Shooting by RBTs and no S3 shooting unit except the chariots and Magic by Archmage and Mage. The 2 blocks of Spear Elves are nice and they seemed to be useful for the player.
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]
dabber
Tactician

#5 Post by dabber »

Griffon Prince wrote:I wonder how this list would do against Warriors or Temple Guard. Str 5 doesn't seem to be enough against those units.
Doesn't matter. Move 4 infantry never sees close combat against that HE list.
Beregond

#6 Post by Beregond »

I actually played this guy in the first round. I had a 'realtively' friendly Bretonnian army, with little/no magic protection (1 lvl-1 with 1 scroll). Solid play, good dice, and a few lucky events led to a victory on his part. He castled on one half of the table , with a forest on the far table edge. DPs and Chariots on the far edge, spears next, then bolt throwers, then white lions. Blast and shoot away, wait for countercharge opportunities woth the fast units. Lance was one of those really careful, calculating players who I imaging rarely makes a mistake.
garythewargamer

thanks

#7 Post by garythewargamer »

This gives me real hope. I am attempting to learn a white lion themed army with 2 mages. So far mostly my losses have been because of my mistakes.
Darvon

#8 Post by Darvon »

Cool list. Would be interesting to hear from the guy who played it.

Edit: I've no idea how that's a 5/0 GT list though. No swordmasters / star dragon / teclis / lion chariot. The fact that it won is equal parts awesome and weird.
afterimagedan

Re: HE win Lonewolf GT (not me)

#9 Post by afterimagedan »

Dude, I love that reaver bow... It has made such a difference on a noble with a GW. My enemies just hate that guy. Also, if someone comes in to try to kill him, he can use ASF with the talisman and just smash the guy.
dabber
Tactician

Re:

#10 Post by dabber »

Darvon wrote:Edit: I've no idea how that's a 5/0 GT list though. No swordmasters / star dragon / teclis / lion chariot. The fact that it won is equal parts awesome and weird.
Composition based pairings and a big enough field. No points for comp, but it affected pairings. Every round there was at least one not-so-nasty list with the same record, so this friendlier High Elf list kept facing them. The super nasty lists kept facing each other. VC Drakenhoff dog-star won best general with the other 5-0 record. And remember, special characters were banned.

He faced Bretonnians (with some infantry!), High Elves, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, and Empire.
Last edited by dabber on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beregond

#11 Post by Beregond »

I played Lance my first game-- so I think I was in the same grouping. My brets were rated in tier-2 (Do not the worst of the worst, but pretty hard armies) out of 4, so it wasn't like he was playing fluff armies. I think that my Bret army's bark was worse than its bite (I should've been in tier-3), but that's another topic.

His army is really fundamentally solid--it just doesn't have any of the high elf buzz-word stuff in it , like 'star dragon', 'Battle Banner', 'Banner of Sorcery', or 'Skeinsliver'. It's got really good economy, there's nothing in it that's excessive or exhorbitant, and it all served a specific purpose. The only exception to this in my opinion is the 2nd spearmen unit. The first one has its uses, but I don't know how you'd get the points back for the 2nd one consistently.
Keith

#12 Post by Keith »

Beregond wrote:I played Lance my first game-- so I think I was in the same grouping. My brets were rated in tier-2 (Do not the worst of the worst, but pretty hard armies) out of 4, so it wasn't like he was playing fluff armies. I think that my Bret army's bark was worse than its bite (I should've been in tier-3), but that's another topic.

His army is really fundamentally solid--it just doesn't have any of the high elf buzz-word stuff in it , like 'star dragon', 'Battle Banner', 'Banner of Sorcery', or 'Skeinsliver'. It's got really good economy, there's nothing in it that's excessive or exhorbitant, and it all served a specific purpose. The only exception to this in my opinion is the 2nd spearmen unit. The first one has its uses, but I don't know how you'd get the points back for the 2nd one consistently.

Skeinsliver is a HE buzzword?????

Also, the second unit of spearmen is still better points than a unit of archers.
Defender of Ulthuan
hoya4life3381

#13 Post by hoya4life3381 »

Where did he put his characters?
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#14 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Beregond wrote: His army is really fundamentally solid--it just doesn't have any of the high elf buzz-word stuff in it , like 'star dragon', 'Battle Banner', 'Banner of Sorcery', or 'Skeinsliver'. It's got really good economy, there's nothing in it that's excessive or exhorbitant, and it all served a specific purpose. The only exception to this in my opinion is the 2nd spearmen unit. The first one has its uses, but I don't know how you'd get the points back for the 2nd one consistently.
Spear units are great - on their own they can wipe the floor with light, and some heavy, infantry. With a character they can take on almost all infantry and medium cavalry like Empire knights, Questing knights and Silver Helms.

A second units, even without a character is a good flank guard, as well as providing a nice table-contestant on the cheap (for HE)
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
AJ21st

#15 Post by AJ21st »

I think one of the unique characteristic of this army is the 3 chariots. I happen to read it somewhere that the player (Lance of the Warmonger?) uses variation of this list where there are 3 chariots with 2 Nobles in it, if I'm not mistaken.
[i]"Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail." - Aenarion the Defender[/i]