500 Points HE wipeout Empire

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Spiked-Lord

500 Points HE wipeout Empire

#1 Post by Spiked-Lord »

Today I went round to my friends house for a quite 500 point battle. It was awful. No fun at all, we are both shakey on rules but he knew barely any of his. Anyway here is what happened.

He list

Noble
Heavy Armour
Shield
Radient Gem

10 Spearmen

Lion Chariot

5 Shadow Warriors

Great Eagle

Empire list (approx)

10 Handgunners

10 Spearmen

10 Swordsmen

8 Knights

510-20 not exactly sure

I know both list are not great but its what we had.

The field was 4x4 with a hill about 4 inches in on his side, a big hill on the right flank (my view) a watchtower in the middenl(scenario capture the watch tower) and a forrest about 8 inches in on my left flank in my deployment zone. He also had a house in the middle of his DP at the back.

He won deployment roll and decided to deploy first. Obviously I finished first.
From left to right he went Handgunners (on hill), Spearmen (in front of hill) then Swordmen, then slap bang in the middle, his knights.

I had been expecting him to have his cannon so I bunged the great eagle and spearmen behind my forrest with the lion chariot at and angle behind them.

Scouts went right behind the hill with his handgunners on.

We both rolled 2 for going first so I won with deploy first.

Turn 1
We had decided that hills dont affect Movement so shadow warriors charge rear of Handgunners. Lion Chariot moves out to next to the forest, great eagle flys onto my left flank and spearmen (with noble jiggle sideways a bit)
In my magic my noble (beast, he rolled 4 so i swapped it to bears anger) cast Bears anger on himself with IF. My opponent forgot to dispel with his power dice each magic phase. So it lasted the whole game.
Close combat, my shadow warriors all miss except 1, but hatred rerolls and they all hit. In the end I kill 3. I win combat and he flees and I run down and smack the spearmen in the rear.

In his turn he turns the swords to face the flank of his spears and my shadow warriors. His Knights march so they are straight in front of the clock tower and not able to move forward without jiggling...

That is part of what makes my opponent so rubbish and boring. He never thinks ahead, he may have pulled a draw or win if he had concentrated properly.

In close combat I killed 2 spears and he kill 4 SW back coz though i let him have 2 ranks even though it was a rear charge.

Turn 2

My turn I charge my eagle into his spears flank and my lion chariot charges his knights, they flee and stop half an inch in front of the impassable house.
My spears jiggle sideways more so they are now clear of the forest.

In close combat my eagle and shadow warrior killed nothing and he did the same.

His turn. He rallys his knights and turns his swords back to face the front moves forward an inch then turns sideways again (?)
In close combat he kills my last shadow warrior but my shadow warrior before he dies with the help of the eagle kill 3, he breaks and my eagle ended up flank charging the knights (on an 11 overrun)

Turn 3
My Lion chariot Charges the Knights
Spears march forward 10 inches.

5 impact hits and chariot and eagle attacks later 1 knight is dead. He dies 1 wound on the chariot (though we forgot about horse attacks) He breaks (cant remember how but he did) and runs into the impassable, both the chariot and the eagle restrain themselves and have no further role to play. They did their job.

In his turn he marched his swordsmen forward 8 to face my spears.

Turn 4
I decide not to rear charge him with the eagle as that would be harsh and charge him with my spears and bears anger noble.
The noble kills 3 on his own and the spearmen kill another 3. He breaks and is caught.

Game Over

Any hints, tips, suggestions?
Cheesy vampire players take the o out of vampire counts!
[img]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr315/spiked-lord/BannerPNGVersion.png[/img]
Chracian

#2 Post by Chracian »

Some suggestions for a smoother flowing game:
Use the reference sheet at the back of the BRB. You can print it off from the GW website. I have found it helps as you don't have to worry about simple things like whether you rally before declaring charges etc.
If your opponent has forgotten something, remind him (e.g. the horses attacks, using PD to dispel remains in play - this is easily overlooked).
Use the rules properly. Hills do affect movement, that's one reason warmachines are stuck up there. If your not going to bother with terrain rules, don't bother with terrain!
If he really is bad, he is probably learning - we all do this, all the time. Question his decisions if you think they are bad ones (such as his knight's movement).
If you are struggling with the rules, simply use the "basic" rules in the first few chapters of the BRB and not the "advanced" rules, which include psychology, magic, chariots etc. Gradually introduce advanced rules as you master the basic rules. By the look of his army list, he doesn't have any fancy units, whilst everthing you have except the spearmen requires advanced rules - hatred, skirmishers, flyers, chariots, fear, magic - which a beginning player would not be able to cope with.
Try this list for practice at this:
Noble, dragon armour, shield, sword of might 108
14 spears, standard and musician 141
10 archers 110
5 silver helms, shields, standard and musician 139
Total 500, nothing fancy.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Malhandir's Feed
Librarian
Location: The grassy fields of Ellyrion (Utah, United States)

#3 Post by Malhandir's Feed »

Don't get too full of your self for wining as that empire list was really bad. Any normal Empire player would bring a cannon, at least that is what i think. personally their swordsman and spearman suck because of our ASF. Sorry for spoiling your victory.
[quote="Asurion Whitestar"]Thats me.....
..... semi-genius Asurion Whitestar![/quote]
Athanoes

#4 Post by Athanoes »

sorry to put more of a dampner of your mood but your SW shouldn't have got the charge in turn 1 as they have to be 'MORE' than 10" away not 'at least' 10" away based on the army lists you would have won anyway i field Empire too and that was a weak army even for 500 points before your next game have a better read of the rules Charician said use the rules for terrain otherwise there is no point using it nonetheless well done
Allerion
Librarian

#5 Post by Allerion »

it could have happened, since the empire player had first move.

ex:

he places the SW's 13in. away

Empire player marches 8 toward the SWs.

he charges

sure, it would be stupid of the empire player, but thats not the issue im questioning :D
Excited for TOW
Kylim

#6 Post by Kylim »

They played hills the right way, because according to the BRB hills are open terrain unless opponents agree before hand that they are difficult or impassable due to being too steep. I probably would have given the handgunners +1 for higher ground.
Athanoes

#7 Post by Athanoes »

They played hills the right way, because according to the BRB hills are open terrain unless opponents agree before hand that they are difficult or impassable due to being too steep. I probably would have given the handgunners +1 for higher ground.
after a quick flip through the RB ill agree with that but the SW have be out of LOS of the handgunners at the start of the game and it would take their whole move to turn around to see the SW let alone be closer than the 10" required to Charge
Chracian

#8 Post by Chracian »

They played hills the right way, because according to the BRB hills are open terrain unless opponents agree before hand that they are difficult or impassable due to being too steep.
Completely correct, sorry we usually count hills as difficult terrain, but that's agreed in our group.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Alquawen

#9 Post by Alquawen »

Don't get too full of your self for wining as that empire list was really bad.
Where does he get full of himself? I think he seems humble and all the rules and problems he encountered are put out quite admirably.