RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#1081 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: your General is pretty destructive.
I need to remind him of that. The loss of the BSB hurt him a lot - S5 is a whole lot less than S6, especially against an incoming Treeman.

Turn 3.

The Shaman-Gor charge the Treekin, theBeastlord-Gor charge one eagle, while the Bestigor charge the other.
Shaggoth evades.
Magic is quite big - I manage both Savage Beast on the Great-Shaman and Wildform on his unit. The big guys had 7 S8 attacks and a toughness of 6 at this point - quite a statline!
The Bestigor quickly deal with their speedbump and manage to overrun into the Driads.
The Shaman-Gor tear up the Treekin and run them down.
The Beastlord in the meanwhile fails his primal fury test and causes only 1 wound on the eagle. His unit adds another one and the bird promptly rolls Insane Courage...

The Treeman sees his opportunity and charges the Beastlord-Gor, as does the lone Wild Rider.
The BSB on stag and the Life Archmage evade the Shaman-Gor.
Fulminating Cage at the Shaman-Gor goes through in the magic phase. Shooting puts two more wounds on the Shaggoth (down to 2 at this point) and kills several Shaman-Gor.
The Beastlord, no longer weakened by Soul Blights, finally brings down the eagle and his companions barely kill the Wild Rider. The Treeman fluffs his rolls and I hold on - reforming to face the Spirit.
Bestigors butcher the Driads and run them down.

Turn 4.
Shaman-Gor charge the Glade Guard, taking the hits from the Cage. Thanks to T5 this does little damage.
Bestigors reform and head back towards the fighting. Shaggoth decides to avoid the Eternal Guard and moves towards the rest of my army, now in the north.
Magic does little of note.
The Beastlord-Gors deal two wounds to the Treeman, but lose another rank of their own. They are now without Frenzy and things are looking rather grim.

The Elves reshuffle.
Magic does nothing. Shooting does yet another wound to the poor Shaggoth.
The Treeman finally does his thing, breaks the Beastlord-Gor and runs them down. I might have forgotten they were still steadfast.

Most of the battle is done. I might have lost the general but things aren't all bad. The Shaman-Gor have been impressive in particular. Can they keep this up?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1082 Post by Prince of Spires »

It reads like you really managed to piss off a dice god somewhere. There were some unlucky rolls so far.

I think the WE have a slight upper hand at the moment. But all is not lost yet. It will depend on how fast you can get the remaining units back into the fighting. With only 2 turns left that will be tricky. And those WE buggers are pretty fast and good at avoiding you.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1083 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The Bestigor quickly deal with their speedbump and manage to overrun into the Driads
Any way to avoid this with Eagle placement or backing the Dryads up RE?
RE.Lee wrote:The Shaman-Gor tear up the Treekin and run them down.
You'd think WE players would start to take the hint!
RE.Lee wrote:The Beastlord in the meanwhile fails his primal fury test and causes only 1 wound on the eagle. His unit adds another one and the bird promptly rolls Insane Courage...
:roll:
RE.Lee wrote:Magic does little of note.
The Beastlord could really have done with one of those Wildforms going off.
RE.Lee

#1084 Post by RE.Lee »

Prince of Spires wrote:It reads like you really managed to piss off a dice god somewhere.
Tell me about it! :lol: Avoidance is a pain...

@SpellArcher

The wide Bestigor formation is quite useful at getting the desired angle with charges. It came as a surprise to my opponent (and myself), but the Driads had no chance to avoid the pain.

The Beastlord, I believe, was out of range of Wildform, as the Shamans got carried away with their frenzy.

Turn 5.
Both my infantry block turn back. The Shaggoth keeps on escaping from the scouts.
Magic is out of range or dispelled.

Wood Elves regroup and back away.
Spirit Leech kills my big Shaman...
The scouts fail to put that last wound on the Shaggoth.

Turn 6.
I stand my ground, unable to reach the enemy.
With the main caster down magic does nothing - I was really hoping on getting some points from Amber Spearing the Treeman or one of the characters!

The BSB charges my poor Shaggoth and slays him.
Spirit Leech kills my other Shaman...

I was actually winning at turn 5, but losing both wizards and the Shaggoth cost my ~700 points and the game. Not much I could have done to stop it. I should get some MR instead of the Chalice next time, I guess.

Still, it was a very fun game and a nice conclusion of the Drakwald struggle.
Next game is in 3 weeks or so, I'm tempted to run Tomb Kings against the Woodies, its a good match-up and I'll get to show off my desert gaming mat :D
Last edited by RE.Lee on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1085 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The wide Bestigor formation is quite useful at getting the desired angle with charges
Good point.
RE.Lee wrote:The Beastlord, I believe, was out of range of Wildform, as the Shamans got carried away with their frenzy.
I sense the hand of Khorne in this...
RE.Lee wrote:I should get some MR instead of the Chalice next time, I guess.
Maybe so. I used to see a lot of ETC lists with MR3 because Death was rife there.

Thanks for the report, looking forward to the next one!

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1086 Post by Prince of Spires »

MR really depends on what your opponent usually brings in terms of magic wether it is useful or not. I think one of the reasons death was so popular at the ETC was because they nerved all the other lores with big spells in them. MR is a lot less useful against shadow or Dwellers for instance. But they weren't viable lores at the ETC because of dice caps per spell and the like.

Losing the shaman here could have also just been bad luck. MR would have helped of course. But it's a LD 8 character. How likely are you to suffer multiple wounds from spirit leech? Yes, you can reduce the risk. But is it worth losing something else over it?

I do feel for the Shaggoth. It managed to avoid everything during the whole battle only to get killed end of T6. I do wonder, did it actually do anything in the battle? It feels like all it did was avoid stuff. Which could be useful. But it sounds like an expensive diversion..>

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1087 Post by RE.Lee »

The Shaggoth killed 2 scouts during his escape from the other unit :lol:

I'll need to think about that MR, dropping the Chalice wouldn't be bad, my opponent was only really hoping on getting those 6's anyway. Spirit Leech is such an odd spell - it either kills you or does nothing really.

Oh well.

Back to painting this week - here come the Razorgors!

Torch need some finishing touches.
Last edited by RE.Lee on Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1088 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:MR really depends on what your opponent usually brings in terms of magic wether it is useful or not. I think one of the reasons death was so popular at the ETC was because they nerved all the other lores with big spells in them. MR is a lot less useful against shadow or Dwellers for instance. But they weren't viable lores at the ETC because of dice caps per spell and the like.
I've experienced first hand the impact a five-dice casting cap has on Dwellers Rod, you have to get lucky to cast it at over 12" so I agree with you there. Shadow was more popular but TBH Death is a strong Lore anyway. MR is also good against other dangerous stuff like Banishment, Gateway, Convocation etc..
Prince of Spires wrote:Losing the shaman here could have also just been bad luck. MR would have helped of course. But it's a LD 8 character. How likely are you to suffer multiple wounds from spirit leech? Yes, you can reduce the risk. But is it worth losing something else over it?
I remember Curu stressing this point. He firmly believed that even a 3+ Ward save wasn't good enough vs sustained Death sniping. RE lost three characters to it. The advantage of MR3 in this list is that he can put three or four characters into the same unit and all are shielded. Vs Dwellers or somesuch he can split the characters up.
RE.Lee wrote:Back to painting this week - here come the Razorgors!
Lovely!

:)
RE.Lee

#1089 Post by RE.Lee »

I wanted to post a Centigor test model but Photobucket now wants 400$ per year to allow third party hosting?! WTF?! :shock:
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#1090 Post by RE.Lee »

Trying Imgur:

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1091 Post by SpellArcher »

Looking good, I think the pale vs dark body thing works well.
RE.Lee

#1092 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks!

Here's a nice Wild Rider photo from the battle, the Centigor don't really compare to those bad boys!

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1093 Post by SpellArcher »

I had game after game where my Forest Spirits etc would die horribly but my 5-strong Wild Rider unit would literally kill half the enemy army and bag me a draw.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1094 Post by Prince of Spires »

Models looking good. The razorgors could use an extra highlight perhaps.

Perhaps you're right SA about death. Perhaps the thing with death is that it's a lore that grinds you down, especially when you're lacking a wardsave. Spirit leech is relatively low-key and it does only a wound perhaps. But it's also very low casting cost and not really something your opponent wants to suffer. The same goes for the other spells in the lore. But it lacks the big-bang spells like dwellers or mindrazor.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1095 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Perhaps you're right SA about death. Perhaps the thing with death is that it's a lore that grinds you down, especially when you're lacking a wardsave. Spirit leech is relatively low-key and it does only a wound perhaps. But it's also very low casting cost and not really something your opponent wants to suffer. The same goes for the other spells in the lore. But it lacks the big-bang spells like dwellers or mindrazor.
Yeah Rod. Purple Sun can be devastating but only against low Initiative armies, elves laugh at it. The snipes are just relentless and they're so low-risk. One more reason why World Dragon is golden, stick all your characters in that unit and Death is much, much less of a problem.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1096 Post by Prince of Spires »

In a way it's a bit like running a HE loremaster. There is no single spell that you really must have. But they're all great utility spells. And taken together the effect is greater then the sum of the different parts.

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1097 Post by RE.Lee »

...aaand Imgur's broken, too :x
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#1098 Post by RE.Lee »

Some more details regarding the next battle. Seems we're going multiplayer again. I'll be taking my Tomb Kings to the field, allied with Brets - of all armies! Wood Elves and Vampire Counts are up against us. I knew the Tree-huggers were up to no good!

I managed to draft a Bretonnian list. Not much I can change, as my collection is very limited.

Lord, Knightly Temper, Cuirass of Fortune, Ruby Goblet, Luckstone, Lance, Shield, Barded Horse
Prophetess, Level 3 Heavens, Sceptre of Stability, Barded Horse
BSB, Gromril Great Helm, Barder Horse

7 KotR, command, Banner of Chalons
5 KotR, command
20 Bowmen, command, Braziers (could come in handy against those Tree Spirits!)
5 Grail Knights, command, Twilight Banner
Trebuchet

A decent army, I think, and it should be complimented by TK well. Still hesitant on whether to take Tomb Guards or Sphinxes (hate those poisoned attacks!).

Now I need to think about what scenario to use...
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1099 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sphinxes of course. Can't go wrong with a couple of large monsters on the battlefield. ;)

And yes, those tree-huggers are not to be trusted...

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1100 Post by RE.Lee »

Then I thought - why not both?

Current TK idea:

High Priest, Level 4 Nehekhara, Dispel Scroll
Tomb Prince, great weapon, Armour of Fortune

28 Archers, command
3 Chariots
5 Horse Archers
26 TG, command, halberds
3 Necroknights
1 Necrosphinx

A nice mix of units and its been a while since I've used the Necroknights (they suck against Dwarfs). Not that much magic for 3k points (total) but at least I've got a nice spell selection. Or should I bring the Casket instead of the Sphinx after all?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1101 Post by SpellArcher »

Lists look decent enough. I'd have been tempted to bring the HKB Virtue though.
RE.Lee wrote:Or should I bring the Casket instead of the Sphinx after all?
I'd be inclined to because it really sharpens up your magic phase. Elves plus Vamps should be pretty respectable in that department. Why Necrosphinx over Warsphinx by the way RE?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1102 Post by Prince of Spires »

The casket is probably more reliable and a more standard choice. But is it as much fun?

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1103 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:Why Necrosphinx over Warsphinx by the way RE?
Mobility. I'm really looking forward to tag-teaming him with heavy cavalry - not usually on option with Tomb Kings :lol:

@ Rod - both are fun, thats why I'm tweaking the list again to incorporate one and the other!

High Priest, Level 4 Nehekhara, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll
Priest, Level 2 Light

27 Archers, command
3 Chariots
5 Horse Archers
3 Necroknights
1 Warsphinx, Fiery Breath
1 Necrosphinx
1 Casket
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1104 Post by SpellArcher »

I prefer the feel of the list with the foot block but the second might be stronger.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1105 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ranked up units might be an issue with the second list. The Brets and TK don't really have a ranked up unit between them.

But if you don't think you'll into those then I would go with the second one. All out mobility. Fast, hard hitting, strong magic. What's not to like :)

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1106 Post by RE.Lee »

Its a tough call.

The Vampires are likely to bring a lot of infantry, as thats my friend's preferred style of play. These might be a problem without and combat infantry of mine but maybe I can thunderstomp them with both the Sphinxes? Brets won't be having a good time against KB on the Grave Guards, thats for sure...

He might mix things up with some ethereals - those should be easily dealt with by Grail Knights. Solid magic is a sure thing, but I think I can counter that to some extent.
The Wood Elves might be a surprise. Most cornerstone units are a fairly bad match-up against TK - stuff like Wild Riders don't like all that shooting.
cheers, Lee

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1107 Post by Luna Guardian »

RE.Lee wrote:Some more details regarding the next battle. Seems we're going multiplayer again. I'll be taking my Tomb Kings to the field, allied with Brets - of all armies! Wood Elves and Vampire Counts are up against us. I knew the Tree-huggers were up to no good!
Wouldn't that game make a lot more sense if the Brets were allied with the Wood elves and the TK with the VC? :D

Can't comment on the lists though, but the models from the previous battles look really nice :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
RE.Lee

#1108 Post by RE.Lee »

Luna Guardian wrote: Wouldn't that game make a lot more sense if the Brets were allied with the Wood elves and the TK with the VC? :D
On the outside - yes! :lol:

I really liked the idea of Templar Knights rising to defend the ancient tombs against invaders - Indiana Jones Last Crucade style. So here we are!
cheers, Lee

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#1109 Post by Luna Guardian »

RE.Lee wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote: Wouldn't that game make a lot more sense if the Brets were allied with the Wood elves and the TK with the VC? :D
On the outside - yes! :lol:

I really liked the idea of Templar Knights rising to defend the ancient tombs against invaders - Indiana Jones Last Crucade style. So here we are!
Fair enough, and that does sound cool, but how do you explain away the Wood Elves and VC alliance? :D
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1110 Post by Prince of Spires »

Luna Guardian wrote: Fair enough, and that does sound cool, but how do you explain away the Wood Elves and VC alliance? :D
They're all a bit funny in the head. It's what you get from too much tree hugging and spending time around dead people...

;)
RE.Lee wrote: The Vampires are likely to bring a lot of infantry, as thats my friend's preferred style of play. These might be a problem without and combat infantry of mine but maybe I can thunderstomp them with both the Sphinxes? Brets won't be having a good time against KB on the Grave Guards, thats for sure...
I guess that steadfast isn't really an issue vs VC. They stick around whether they're steadfast or not. And thunderstomp will definitely help vs all that infantry. I've had games where 2 phoenixes (one of each type) had trouble wounding clanrats with their regular attacks but they chewed through them easily with their thunderstomps. 2D6 S6 or so hits tend to make a difference.

Rod

Check out my plog