RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

#1501 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: He's got the spells to have a go at the Tank.
(...)
Right flank might be an issue, if he can deal with the Demis and then double-team the Greatswords. Get the Halberdiers and Tank forward quickly to put pressure on I guess.
Indeed, with the redundancy of Searing Doom and Amber Spear I had to push the big can forward as fast as possible.

The right flank situation developed...oddly, but lets not get ahead of ourselves:

Turn 1.

Elves move up a bit, to be in range.
The Tank is under fire and I burn a scroll to keep it intact.
Waywatchers deal a wound to a Demigryph.

I advance aggressively with my center, while the right flank is more prudent in their marching.
Magic and shooting kills some Glade Guards, but the Tank misfires his cannon, luckily on the bounce dice.

Turn 2.

The Asrai adjust their positions, crucially the Wild Riders remain in place, fearing my handgunners.
Magic is ineffective, as my opponent rolls four 1s to cast a big Amber Spear :lol:
Shooting does little damage.

Throwing caution to the wind I charge the Treeman with my Tank, getting the needed 13. Halberdiers follow.
I force my opponent to burn his scroll.
Shooting kills a glade guard or two.
The Tank fluffs his roll - D6+3D3 yield 6 hits and only 1 wound... I suffer no damage in return.

Turn 3.

Wildriders and Eternal Guards charge my Halberdiers. Dryads try to join in but roll poorly.
Magic sees a big Cloak cast on most of the Wood Elf army.
Shooting kill the wounded Demi.
The combined assault butchers my Halberdiers and despite the BSBs effort I break and am run down...
The Tank holds.

Seeing the game slipping I turn my Greatswords towards the center. This exposes their flank but I ready my Demigryphs for a counter-charge. The Captasus, finally in position, charges the Treekin.
I cast Wildform on the Tank, but, again, it fails to kill the Treeman.
The Captasus breaks the Treekin but they outrun him, somehow.

So, things are not looking that bright but not all is lost!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1502 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I charge the Treeman with my Tank,
This looks sensible, gets it out of spell range.
RE.Lee wrote:I suffer no damage in return.
Was your foe going for tree whack RE?
RE.Lee wrote:Wildriders and Eternal Guards charge my Halberdiers.
Looks like a huge charge roll from the riders.
RE.Lee wrote:The combined assault butchers my Halberdiers and despite the BSBs effort I break and am run down...
Bloody elves!
RE.Lee

#1503 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: Was your foe going for tree whack RE?
(...)
Looks like a huge charge roll from the riders.
Not this round, he tried his regular attacks first.

Corner to corner the Wild Riders were not that far away - 16" if I recall correctly.

Turn 4.

Wild Riders charge the vulnerable Greatswords. Dryads gang up on the Stank.
The other Wild Rider unit gallops into position to charge the Handgunners.
Magic is largely stopped and the Waywatchers do another wound on the Demis.
Greatswords take a pounding but hold and reform. Tank passes his Treewhack test.

The Demigryphs join the Greatswords. Captasus charges the Glade Guards.
Magic is big as I manage to cast both Savage Beast on my Wizard Lord and Wildform on his unit. Molon labe, Wild Riders.
This proves to be rather overkill however, as a salvo at point blank range leaves only the champion standing. We've seen what he can do, though.
Greatswords/Demis wipe out the Wild Riders and face the rest of the Wood Elves. Even more importantly, the Captasus breaks and runs down the Glade Guards, scoring me a Victory Point and getting rid of the biggest enemy wizard. Yay!
Tank is dealt a solid Whack (6 wounds...) and fails to do damage.

Turn 5.

Wild Rider champion charges the Handgunners. Treekin, having previously rallied, charge the Captasus in the back. They are also immediately boosted with Wildform. Oh well.
Waywatchers do nothing.
I challenge the lone Wild Rider with my Wizard Lord (leading by example here!), take a single wound but rip the Elf to shreds in return.
The Captasus bites it.
Tank suffers two more wounds.

I advance with my surviving units.
Magic and shooting do little.
Tank suffers another wound, down to 1 now.

Turn 6.

The Treekin and Eagle block my units - I won't be able to get to those Eternal Guards and Dryads now.
Magic and shooting do nothing of worth.
Tank manages to avoid damage.

Greatswords charge and kill the Eagle.
Tank fails his last Whack and falls apart...

So close! Despite the initial setback, tt was 1:1 right up to the end and had the Tank survived I would have secured a draw.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1504 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Corner to corner the Wild Riders were not that far away - 16" if I recall correctly.
Diagonal charge distances can be confusing, I've found.
RE.Lee wrote:Even more importantly, the Captasus breaks and runs down the Glade Guards, scoring me a Victory Point and getting rid of the biggest enemy wizard. Yay!
Result!
RE.Lee wrote:Tank fails his last Whack and falls apart...
:(

What struck me was the carnage Wild Riders can wreak and yet if they die, it's no biggie. Even in a VP's game they're not worth a huge amount dead. Eating that combo-charge on your biggest unit seemed to really put you on the back foot RE.
RE.Lee

#1505 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: What struck me was the carnage Wild Riders can wreak and yet if they die, it's no biggie. Even in a VP's game they're not worth a huge amount dead. Eating that combo-charge on your biggest unit seemed to really put you on the back foot RE.
They've yet again proven how effective they can be even against stuff like 32 Greatswords - seemingly a decent counter. I considered pushing up with the Handgunners but they'd easily evade me and remain a threat while I wasted my shooters advancing up the field. My opponent expected me to take a Hellblaster but I knew it would just die to poison arrows on turn 1 or 2. The Tank was the only artillery I could count on and, while it did well to survive all that hurt going its way, it still disappointed. Killing the Treeman was well within reach and it would leave a pretty much invulnerable target right in the middle of the Elf line, threatening all 3 scoring units.

Still, a fair result and a tight battle settled by a last turn 50/50 dice roll :lol:

I've started working on my Skaven a bit. For some reason the Plague Monks are the first unit I'm reassembling. He're are some of the fillers I've made:

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1506 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:My opponent expected me to take a Hellblaster but I knew it would just die to poison arrows on turn 1 or 2.
Wood Elves are a difficult opponent for Dwarfs for this reason. Even 30" on the Organ Guns isn't enough. I'm wondering about Coven of Light and just spamming Magic Missiles.
RE.Lee wrote:I've started working on my Skaven a bit.
Very creative. Paint please!

:)
RE.Lee

#1507 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: I'm wondering about Coven of Light and just spamming Magic Missiles.
I've considered it strongly, but I've already used Light so extensively against VC I felt a need for a change. Lore of Fire seemed the perfect fit, though I wasn't bold enough to take it on my primary caster :wink:

I'll get to painting but I'm having a really hard time developing a basing scheme - I know want autumn leaves in there...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1508 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Lore of Fire seemed the perfect fit, though I wasn't bold enough to take it on my primary caster
It has to be decent vs Wood Elves because they lack armour. Flaming Sword might even hurt the Treeman.
RE.Lee wrote:I'm having a really hard time developing a basing scheme
Have you done a test base RE?
RE.Lee

#1509 Post by RE.Lee »

I've even done a test model!

Having had trouble finding suitable mini autumn leaves in Poland, I decided instead to go for static grass with some red mixed in. I think it looks OK and I plan to add some tufts on bigger bases. Base edge in black, though that might change.

Happy Easter!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1510 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I've even done a test model!
This might look quite striking en masse.
RE.Lee wrote:Happy Easter!
Happy Easter RE!

RE.Lee

#1511 Post by RE.Lee »

Back with another report!

Its the Tomb Kings this time, facing off against the Wood Elves - seemingly one of their few decent match-ups.

My list:

Hierophant, level 4 Nehekhara, Power Scroll
Level 4 Light, Dispel Scroll
Ramhotep

23 Archers, command
23 Archers, command
3 Chariots

29 Tomb Guards, halberds, command, BoEFlame
3 Necroknights

Casket
Hierotitan

Wood Elves:

Level 2 Shadow, Power Stone
Level 2 Light, Dispel Scroll

15ish Eternal Guards, command
18 Glade Guards, command, poison

7 Wild Riders, command
7 Wild Riders, command
6 Treekin
5 Scouts, poison
5 Scouts, poison

Treeman
Eagle
Eagle

We'd be playing a standard pitched battle.

My spell:
Blades, Smiting, Dessication, Vengeance
Shems, Banishment, Net, Timewarp

Elves:
Pit of Shades, Pendulum
Shems, Timewarp
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1512 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:29 Tomb Guards, halberds, command, BoEFlame
3 Necroknights
These can fight but the WE's have more combat punch.
RE.Lee wrote:Level 2 Shadow, Power Stone
Level 2 Light, Dispel Scroll
Again, these aren't hopeless but the TK's are clearly stronger magically. I'd have gone for the same Lore on both for better spell selection.
RE.Lee wrote:We'd be playing a standard pitched battle.
The Wood Elves look like they've set up to rush your left flank RE, pretty sensible.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1513 Post by Prince of Spires »

That is one very refused flank...

The WE pack a good punch, especially on the charge. But they don't want to be stuck in combat for a while. There's very little staying power in that list. Their magic looks decent but is purely support. Any spell that gets through is a bonus I'd say.

The TK list on the other really needs magic to work. The two level 4 mages need to pull their weight. But if they do, then they can help the units to stay in the game and grind down the WE units. It will be tough though. The TG will be under pressure from fairly early in the game it seems. If they go down then the WE will be able to roll up the TK army from south to north with little in the way of opposition.

Let's see how fast the TK can bring the Northern flank round to pressure the WE top side.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1514 Post by RE.Lee »

The Woodies were very aggressive with their deployment, indeed. Would my undead have to time to even know what hit them?

Turn 1.

I push my Tomb Guards up to intercept at least part of the Wild Riders.
Magic is decent and I cast a lot of spells - my opponent decided to let Smiting on the Archers and Shems on the Wild Riders through. With the D6 S4 hits and 69 arrows I manage to kill a whole 3 Wild Riders. Disappointing.

The Wild Riders throw themselves at the Tomb Guards. They kill 19 (luckily not Ramhotep) and I bring down 7 in return. I crumble and they overrun, barely missing the Titan.
Eternal Guards, Treekin and the Treeman follow up the assault.
In the meanwhile 4 elven scouts manage to deal 3 wounds to the Casket, destroying it! The Titan suffers a wound from shooting, as well. Magic does nothing.

Turn 2.
I back up with my units, turning the Chariots to face the main thrust.
Magic and shooting kills the remaining Wild Riders as well as several Eternal Guards.

The Elves keep coming at me.
Shooting kills the Titan. Magic is stopped with the scroll.

Eventful couple of turns. I've contained the Wild Riders but at what cost?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1515 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I push my Tomb Guards up to intercept at least part of the Wild Riders.
Tricky call RE. You were unlucky not killing more Riders at range but did you have to push up? If the Tomb Guard had stayed put would the Riders have had charges on?
RE.Lee wrote:In the meanwhile 4 elven scouts manage to deal 3 wounds to the Casket, destroying it!
Again unlucky but I guess so much Poison overall will hurt at some point.
RE.Lee wrote:Magic and shooting kills the remaining Wild Riders
Essential. Bit concerned about the Treeman but you've got some stuff left.
RE.Lee

#1516 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: did you have to push up? If the Tomb Guard had stayed put would the Riders have had charges on?
(...)
unlucky but I guess so much Poison overall will hurt at some point.
A mistake in hindsight. I thought their charge was inevitable but that was not quite true. Holding back would have given me another crucial round of shooting. I was still lucky Ramhotep got to use his skill and my opponent forgot about attacking with the mounts. Otherwise I could have been facing a full unit.

The poison is a killer and reason enough for me not to take any Sphinxes. I fully expected losing the Casket but turn 2/3 even if I could counter the scouts.

Turn 3.

I charge the Treeman with my Necroknights and the Treekin with the Chariots.
Archers turn and shoot an eagle.
The Necroknights get boosted by Smiting, while the Treeman suffers -2 S/T. Despite this I lose one of mine to Treewhack (such and OP ability!) and only deal a single wound back... The Chariots deal some damage, but the Treekin hold and I'm a sitting duck.

Eagle charges my Archers. Eternal Guards keep coming at me.
Shooting and magic does little.
Treekin finish off the Chariots, while the Treeman keep the Necroknights busy.

Turn 4.

No movement.
Shooting decimates the Eternal Guards.
Magic again boosts the Necroknights, who manage to finish off the Treeman (bless poison!). I reform to face the Treekin. The Eagle holds on.

Treekin charge in and exchange some feeble blows with the Snakes.
Eternal Guards keep coming.
My Archers deal with the last Eagle and turn to face the approaching enemy.

Turn 5&6.

Archers slay the remaining Eternal Guards (their mage left them a while back).
Treekin are boosted by Timewarp and become a fair match for the Necroknights - no side gains the upper hand.
Scouts charge my Hierophants block and almost grind them down (3+liche priest were left by the end of the game contrary to what you can see in the picture).
Finally, the Wood Elf general-mage IFs a Dimentional Cascade and is sucked into the warp. This gets me enough points to squeeze out a minor victory!

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1517 Post by Prince of Spires »

That started going bad pretty fast. The TG were indeed a bit too aggressive. Playing more defensive would have given an extra turn of ranged harassment. Even with just one or two fewer models here and there you could have held on a lot longer. Still, you managed to hang in there and indeed, once the initial charge of the WE wore off they ran out of steam and you could wear them down.

So, congrats on the win, small though it was. It was hard fought from the look of it.

As a side note, it looks like you ate quite a few cookies during the game ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1518 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:A mistake in hindsight. I thought their charge was inevitable but that was not quite true. Holding back would have given me another crucial round of shooting.
I did this once. Took a charge from them when the odds favoured me. Cost me my Daemon Prince. Again, the WE player can afford to lose the Riders more than we can afford to lose our stuff.
RE.Lee wrote:my opponent forgot about attacking with the mounts.
At two Strength 4 attacks per mount!
RE.Lee wrote:The poison is a killer and reason enough for me not to take any Sphinxes. I fully expected losing the Casket but turn 2/3 even if I could counter the scouts.
I feel these WE lists are gradually getting stronger.
RE.Lee wrote:Necroknights, who manage to finish off the Treeman
=D>
RE.Lee wrote:a minor victory!
For persistence!
Prince of Spires wrote:As a side note, it looks like you ate quite a few cookies during the game
Your kind of game Rod, judging by your sig..

RE.Lee

#1519 Post by RE.Lee »

:lol: Cookies were devoured, indeed! The last 2 were discovered the morning after by my 2-year old :wink:

Throwing the Necroknights and Chariots into combat I felt like I was just trying to go out with a bang. The magic support helped swing that fight and it turned out that the Wood Elves were in no position to push with anything else - they tried to put some pressure with Eternal Guards and scouts but those were simply not enough.

It seemed odd that my magic dominance started showing only after I had lost both the Casket and the Titan but thats what won me the game, probably. A small win, perhaps, but playing Tomb Kings I'll take it!

In other news, I've done my BSB (all apart from the banner design itself):

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1520 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:Cookies were devoured, indeed! The last 2 were discovered the morning after by my 2-year old
They have a knack for ferreting out cookies... It sometimes feels like my 3 year old knows better what cookies we have lying around and where then I do ;)
SpellArcher wrote:Your kind of game Rod, judging by your sig..
:D It's a game, so fun has to be had. No way around that. And cookies are a useful tool for that ;)

I like the BSB. Menacing in a ratty and "I'll observe from the back if it's all the same to you" sort of way. The only criticism I have perhaps is that he's a bit too clean for a Skaven.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1521 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:the banner design
What's this to be RE?
Prince of Spires wrote:They have a knack for ferreting out cookies... It sometimes feels like my 3 year old knows better what cookies we have lying around and where then I do
My then 2 year old nephew amazed my parents by discovering their secret chocolate stash in about 2 seconds Rod. I think small children have some kind of 'snack radar' or something.

RE.Lee

#1522 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:the banner design
What's this to be RE?
No idea yet! :lol:

The Skaven being a bit cleaner than usual is by choice. My wife keeps pressuring me to paint a bit more tidy and colourful so the ratmen are taking one for the team :wink:

Meanwhile, a Warlord:

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1523 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:My wife keeps pressuring me to paint a bit more tidy and colourful
Empire her favourite?
RE.Lee wrote:Meanwhile, a Warlord:
The brutal side of the Skaven.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1524 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:The Skaven being a bit cleaner than usual is by choice. My wife keeps pressuring me to paint a bit more tidy and colourful so the ratmen are taking one for the team
:lol: =D>

I can imagine that conversation ;) My wife usually is the first one to see WiP and finished models. So her opinion carries a fair bit of weight.

And the Warlord is great. As usual.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1525 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:My wife keeps pressuring me to paint a bit more tidy and colourful
Empire her favourite?
Beastmen actually!

Need to get that Centigor unit finished and make up some house rules to make them playable :roll:

2x10 Gutter Runners in the pipeline. Mostly assembled - models ranging from old assassins, through some Mordheim models (Veskit!) to the new Shadespire dudes. Should be a blast to paint!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1526 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Beastmen actually!
Colourful maybe (though Beastmen tend to feature browns) but tidy?

RE.Lee wrote:2x10 Gutter Runners in the pipeline.
They're awesome in-game too of course.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1527 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Beastmen actually!
Colourful maybe (though Beastmen tend to feature browns) but tidy?

=>
RE.Lee wrote:The Skaven being a bit cleaner than usual is by choice. My wife keeps pressuring me to paint a bit more tidy and colourful so the ratmen are taking one for the team
I blame the wife ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1528 Post by RE.Lee »

Hey, hey!

Its been a while since I've done an update, but my wife gave birth to a baby girl 2 days ago! Yay!

With her being still in the hospital I used to time to paint up a test model for the Gutter Runners:

I always have a hard time painting black so I went for a blueish tint. Any suggestions before I move on to the other 19? :wink:
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1529 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:Its been a while since I've done an update, but my wife gave birth to a baby girl 2 days ago! Yay!
=D> congrats! I hope both mother and daughter are well. I wish you all the best. And enjoy the new princess :)
RE.Lee wrote: Any suggestions before I move on to the other 19?
Catch up on sleep while you still can ;)

Not much else in the way of suggestions. It could perhaps use a bright spot color. Something like yellow eyes. Other then that, I really like him. They're assassins after all. Not much sense in being bright and flashy.

And blue probably works better to convey black then actual black does. Same as white. If you make something black it will just be a bland, flat surface. By using black to dark blue you convey shadows and depths.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1530 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! They're both doing very well and will hopefully be home today :D
Prince of Spires wrote: It could perhaps use a bright spot color. Something like yellow eyes. Other then that, I really like him. They're assassins after all. Not much sense in being bright and flashy.
Thats the problem I faced. A discussed before, I'm trying to make the Skaven a bit more flashy but Clan Eshin doesn't really do flashy. I think the bright yellow lamp helps a bit but perhaps I'll try out the red eyes.

Finishing the last 7 Chaos Warriors as well! Productive while I can!
cheers, Lee