Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 40
Having spotted a pair of Goblin Wolf Rider scouts, Aldrik the Runesmith asked the thane from Clan Dulrok to assemble his clan and neighbors to the defense of the hold in the face of the incoming green menace!

2000 pt Battle Report between Dwarfs & Orcs & Goblins: https://www.livewaaaaagh.com/battle-rep ... s-oct-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12204
Location: Otherworld
Thanks for that LW, nice report!

The lists were interesting, not maxed out but both had teeth. I'd have been tempted to take a Spellbreaking Rune, especially with Foot of Gork around. Equally, I don't rate Black Orcs. Gyrocopters might indeed have helped. I think deployment favoured O&G somewhat, it might have been better to deploy some Dwarfs further back or maybe even corner.

As for gameplay, it might have paid to target the Trolls exclusively from the start, though I was wondering about wiping out the Wolf Riders Turn 1 to Panic the Black Orcs. The Dwarf charge looked ambitious but the Orc line was very close by then I guess. The Thunderers seemed to get tied up dealing with a much cheaper foe but that was partly bad luck with Animosity.

Lastly, I just love those fluorescent Trolls!

:)

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 40
SpellArcher wrote:
Thanks for that LW, nice report!

The lists were interesting, not maxed out but both had teeth. I'd have been tempted to take a Spellbreaking Rune, especially with Foot of Gork around. Equally, I don't rate Black Orcs. Gyrocopters might indeed have helped. I think deployment favoured O&G somewhat, it might have been better to deploy some Dwarfs further back or maybe even corner.

As for gameplay, it might have paid to target the Trolls exclusively from the start, though I was wondering about wiping out the Wolf Riders Turn 1 to Panic the Black Orcs. The Dwarf charge looked ambitious but the Orc line was very close by then I guess. The Thunderers seemed to get tied up dealing with a much cheaper foe but that was partly bad luck with Animosity.

Lastly, I just love those fluorescent Trolls!

:)


First of all, thank you for reading! Glad you enjoyed the report! More to come.

Re: Spellbreaking Rune - yes. I tried the Master Rune of Balance + Rune of Iron combo but it hurt not being able tondispel those foot of gork. Keep in mind, Inhad no idea what spells he’d get.

Re: deployment - I could have potentially set up even further back for another round of shooting. But I’m not sure it would have made a difference in this game.

Re: gameplay - by the time I had to make a choice between charging aorntaming a possible double charge, I opted for the charge, hoping for he best. I hadn’t faced the Savage Orc Big Un ‘ horde before.
And yes, thunderers had bad luck all game . Bad shooting and then got tied up easily.

A good game but one in which Injust didn’t have answers to this blocks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6831
Location: The city of Spires
Reads like a fun game.

In terms of deployment, I think going for a corner might have made a difference, since it reduces the maneuverability and charge options he has. But it likely wouldn't have mattered in this game.

What I think was really missing from the list is some redirectors. The list didn't have enough firepower to really deter units from moving into range. And it had no way of chosing what to fight and where. Even one redirector in the list could have made a difference. It would have either stalled the O&G army for a turn (if he had wanted to keep his line compact) or stalled a single unit for a turn and allowed you to fight his army more piecemeal.

SA is a big fan of bringing a dispell scroll. In general I agree that you usually need one unless you have a different way of dealing with magic, like the book of hoeth in a HE list or a very agressive list which potentially lets you take out mages before they do too much.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 40
Prince of Spires wrote:
Reads like a fun game.

In terms of deployment, I think going for a corner might have made a difference, since it reduces the maneuverability and charge options he has. But it likely wouldn't have mattered in this game.

What I think was really missing from the list is some redirectors. The list didn't have enough firepower to really deter units from moving into range. And it had no way of chosing what to fight and where. Even one redirector in the list could have made a difference. It would have either stalled the O&G army for a turn (if he had wanted to keep his line compact) or stalled a single unit for a turn and allowed you to fight his army more piecemeal.

SA is a big fan of bringing a dispell scroll. In general I agree that you usually need one unless you have a different way of dealing with magic, like the book of hoeth in a HE list or a very agressive list which potentially lets you take out mages before they do too much.

Rod


Thank you for reading and for the comment! I'm not a big fan of cornering - I know... I'm a Dwarf.. but I know people hate to play against that for the most part, so I didn't want to do that this time around, at least.

Agreed re: misdirectors. As a result, I've moved a gyrocopter and a group of miners to the top of the painting list! hehe!

I think a dispel scroll would have made a difference with that first foot of gork that killed 7 Ironbreakers. I was hoping the rune of Balance would be "that" way of dealing with magic and it's worked in the past. But with rolls of 12 or 11, even if I stole a die, it was still a massive advantage that I wasn't ready for, unforutnately.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 12204
Location: Otherworld
Live_waaaaagh wrote:
I think a dispel scroll would have made a difference with that first foot of gork that killed 7 Ironbreakers. I was hoping the rune of Balance would be "that" way of dealing with magic and it's worked in the past. But with rolls of 12 or 11, even if I stole a die, it was still a massive advantage that I wasn't ready for, unforutnately.

You were a bit unlucky in the magic phases. Foot of Gork was always likely, your opponent had a 90% chance of generating it. But I think that in any game a dispel scroll or equivalent is likely to be crucial at some point.

Prince of Spires wrote:
What I think was really missing from the list is some redirectors.

Gyros FTW!

Live_waaaaagh wrote:
A good game but one in which Injust didn’t have answers to this blocks.

The thing is, those Savage Orcs are S4 from round 2 onwards, unlikely to kill many Dwarfs. The crucial thing seemed to be keeping those Trolls out of your flank. Maybe it would have paid to have brought a Horde with Great Weapons to really lay the smack down. I don’t think you had the strongest list but a different deployment might have let you focus the strengths you had where they were most needed.

_________________
A New Blog (Orcs and Goblins)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70550
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 40
Agreed - will be bringing a scroll moving forward. no more Master rune of Balance. hehe.

Re: deployment and army list - the list has worked in the past nicely. Though I agree some gyros are needed and one will be fully painted by the time the next game rolls around. Who knows how the battle would have turned out had we continued, and maybe had I been able to keep the Trolls out of the flank. We'll see next time!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm
Posts: 956
Location: The Netherlands
Hey,

Too bad of the mistake on the ironbreakers, but it was a blast to read! Keep up the good work!

_________________
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group