Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 31
A dwarfen throng led by an experienced Runesmith clashed against Grom The Paunch and his Goblin horde in a 2000pt game for control over the Dwarfen Highlands near Black Fire Pass.

Red the full report:
http://www.livewaaaaagh.com/battle-reports/2017/8/5/live-from-the-old-world-episode-15-dwarfs-vs-orcs-goblins


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:22 pm
Posts: 2376
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Great report, as always! The O&G army was especially nice - Grom is a very characterful choice and his army was quite unlike the "green dwarfs" we sometimes see in competitive play.

The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde. Some lucky rolls helped here - those turned out to be some really brave Goblins (and Trolls!).

The notorious Grom will return, I'm sure!

_________________
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 31
RE.Lee wrote:
Great report, as always! The O&G army was especially nice - Grom is a very characterful choice and his army was quite unlike the "green dwarfs" we sometimes see in competitive play.

The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde. Some lucky rolls helped here - those turned out to be some really brave Goblins (and Trolls!).

The notorious Grom will return, I'm sure!


Thank you for taking the time to read it! I'm you enjoyed it :)

His army is incredibly well-painted, and both of us are a bit more into fluff than competitive play, so look for more battles in the future!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11772
Location: Otherworld
I'm just going to post after reading the lists, not the report proper or RE's thoughts.

I can see the idea behind the O&G list, wrongfooting the Dwarfs. The magic and shooting defences are indeed largely wasted. However, these are not hugely expensive and the Dwarf list remains balanced. The shooting phase is solid and the melee, while maybe lacking against a hardcore combat list, looks OK here, helped as it is by army-wide Hatred.

The O&G list actually states three Arachnaroks, illegal of course. That would be dangerous. But just one should be dealt with by the runed-up war machines. I just don't think the O&G list is packing enough hard, fast threats here. You always get an extra turn against chariots (they can't march) and these ones are lightweight. If the Dwarfs pick their targets properly, the Big Boss, Trolls etc should get shot up just as they are getting into range. Maybe the Stubborn blocks should be bigger (Engineers and Runes cost points) but I still think the Dwarfs have enough here.

Lovely battlefield by the way. The unfilled Dwarf trays look a bit odd but the O&G army especially looks great!

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 31
SpellArcher wrote:
I'm just going to post after reading the lists, not the report proper or RE's thoughts.

I can see the idea behind the O&G list, wrongfooting the Dwarfs. The magic and shooting defences are indeed largely wasted. However, these are not hugely expensive and the Dwarf list remains balanced. The shooting phase is solid and the melee, while maybe lacking against a hardcore combat list, looks OK here, helped as it is by army-wide Hatred.

The O&G list actually states three Arachnaroks, illegal of course. That would be dangerous. But just one should be dealt with by the runed-up war machines. I just don't think the O&G list is packing enough hard, fast threats here. You always get an extra turn against chariots (they can't march) and these ones are lightweight. If the Dwarfs pick their targets properly, the Big Boss, Trolls etc should get shot up just as they are getting into range. Maybe the Stubborn blocks should be bigger (Engineers and Runes cost points) but I still think the Dwarfs have enough here.

Lovely battlefield by the way. The unfilled Dwarf trays look a bit odd but the O&G army especially looks great!


The Arachnorok was a typo - he only brought 1.

I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending :wink:

The O&G army is a sight to behold, for sure! Much better than mine. I need to invest in two-rank trays :oops:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 pm 
Offline
Green Istari

Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am
Posts: 11772
Location: Otherworld
RE.Lee wrote:
The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde

Very much on target.

Live_waaaaagh wrote:
I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending

You yourself pointed out LW that you probably deployed too far forwards. This likely cost most of your units a crucial round of shooting. They also looked too spread out, the Thunderers especially were too isolated. These two factors let the Trolls in particular in to mess up your gameplan.

It has to be said though that those Trolls passed some very cheeky Leadership tests! It was also difficult to redeploy the Dwarf units that got out of position. Another reason why deployment is so critical for this army.

Thanks for a nice report!

:)

_________________
Cavalry Prince Reloaded
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm
Posts: 31
SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:
The Organ Gun was super-charged and did a lot of the killing, too bad the infantry units couldn't take advantage of the holes it left in the green horde

Very much on target.

Live_waaaaagh wrote:
I don't want to spoil it, but given what you wrote, you might be surprised at the ending

You yourself pointed out LW that you probably deployed too far forwards. This likely cost most of your units a crucial round of shooting. They also looked too spread out, the Thunderers especially were too isolated. These two factors let the Trolls in particular in to mess up your gameplan.

It has to be said though that those Trolls passed some very cheeky Leadership tests! It was also difficult to redeploy the Dwarf units that got out of position. Another reason why deployment is so critical for this army.

Thanks for a nice report!

:)


Very much correct on the deployment aspect. I made 2 mistakes during deployment that likely cost me the game - aside from his very fortunate dice rolls.
1 - I deployed way too forward. Right on the line actually and underestimated his movement.
2 - I misplaced my irondrakes (fire damage) very far from his Trolls. So anything that connected was regened very quickly and the 'drakes were out of range of them.

But hey! you learn! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6520
Location: The city of Spires
Nice battle report. I have a soft spot for goblins so I'm happy to see them win :) It was a close game and fun to read. Interesting (and characterful) to see that most goblins "died" from being panicked by other O&G units being destroyed :)

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 166/18/104


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group