Hello

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

Hello

#1 Post by Elias Kalderon »

When I was very young I used to be rather engaged with a certain High Elf community. I just wondered whether it still existed, so I tried a few URLs it once had (ulthuan.com, asur.org [well that's something different now] and ulthuan.net) and ended up here. Surprisingly, I managed to log in. Can't believe that I remembered my password.

I still play Warhammer (or actually the Ninth Age) about monthly with some friends, which is actually more frequent than when I was active here many years ago. Back then I was mostly occupied with writing background stories and role-playing.

I see a few familiar names, but it doesn't really look like it used to. Anyone here who can tell me what happened?
[size=75]I'll think of something[/size]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Hello

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, forums in general have taken a major hit in traffic. Add what gw did to warhammer to that and it's no surprise that we are where we are. There aren't may of us left from before we lost our domain name, and then had a few server crashes an what not, but people do pop in from time to time.
RE.Lee

#3 Post by RE.Lee »

Hello back! Things are not as busy as back in the day but still plenty of interesting things to read. There's 6/7th, 8th, AoS, some KoW stuff going on and the community is as friendly as ever :)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#4 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome (back)
Elias Kalderon wrote: I see a few familiar names, but it doesn't really look like it used to. Anyone here who can tell me what happened?
The End Times happened. GW somehow managed to kill a big part of the WH community more or less overnight. A few people remain who play 8th edition or moved on to the 9th Age. They have a pretty active forum I think, which keeps a lot of the 9th Age chat there.

We're reasonably active, compared to a lot of other race specific forums at least. But it's not what it once was. It's slowly growing though, at least I think so. We have a few regular posters and then a couple of old faces drop in every now and then or new people wander in.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

#5 Post by Elias Kalderon »

Ah yes, the End Times. It was sort of an interesting concept, but yes GW practically killed a lively community of gamers with that, leaving the remainders scattered and disorganised. I can imagine it would've been devastating to people who were working on their fluff and characters and were then suddenly told that their world was ending. I'm really glad that I wasn't that engaged with it any more. I wonder why GW had to do that. Warhammer Fantasy had become too much of a burden?

And of course forums are so early 2000s :roll: This thing is really old school 8)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome back Elias Kalderon.

:)
Elias Kalderon wrote:Warhammer Fantasy had become too much of a burden?
I believe they wanted to make more money.
Giladis
The Merlord

#7 Post by Giladis »

Hi Elias! So nice seeing a familiar name.

Forums are still going strong it is just much of fantasy traffic has become really centralised on the 9th Age site as the focal point.
Cenyu

#8 Post by Cenyu »

*dusts off account*

Are there actually any backups of the old Ulthuan campaign subforums (Hour of the Wolf etc) still available?
[i][size=75]Narza Scornsong - 14/13/9
Swordsaint of the Thalukhaindar[/i][/size]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/khaindar3x47g.gif[/img]
Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

#9 Post by Elias Kalderon »

Hey Giladis, Cenyu! From Giladis I got the odd Facebook update. And something about a PhD in history? I got a PhD in clinical psychology and work at a psychiatry department now. Cenyu, how've you been?

I've been scrolling through some old threads. It's so nostalgic.
Giladis wrote:Forums are still going strong it is just much of fantasy traffic has become really centralised on the 9th Age site as the focal point.
The Ninth Age forum looks very much alive. That project really caught on. What I like about the rules is that it leaves plenty of space for customisation of army lists and characters.
Giladis
The Merlord

#10 Post by Giladis »

Elias Kalderon wrote:Hey Giladis, Cenyu! From Giladis I got the odd Facebook update. And something about a PhD in history?
I switched fields recently. Became a manager in a pharmaceutical company :mrgreen:

I got a PhD in clinical psychology and work at a psychiatry department now.
Congratulations.

The Ninth Age forum looks very much alive. That project really caught on. What I like about the rules is that it leaves plenty of space for customisation of army lists and characters.
And it will only get better as we will release new books and especially supplements and auxiliary list. But it is really hard. Just keeping up with the overview of the Project is 4h job each day, not counting stuff one does for fun like writing background.
Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

#11 Post by Elias Kalderon »

Giladis wrote:I switched fields recently. Became a manager in a pharmaceutical company :mrgreen:
So you joined the dark side :wink: I'm working in the field of e-health. The big idea is to help people with mental health issues with accessible resources on the internet or on apps etc.. I actually got the idea to go in that direction because of my experiences as a 'counsellor' in the chat and on the message board of Ulthuan.
And it will only get better as we will release new books and especially supplements and auxiliary list. But it is really hard. Just keeping up with the overview of the Project is 4h job each day, not counting stuff one does for fun like writing background.
4 hours a day while you also have a job? Watch out for a burnout. If it helps, the efforts into the Ninth Age project pay off!
Giladis
The Merlord

#12 Post by Giladis »

4 hours a day while you also have a job? Watch out for a burnout.
Yup ever present danger. After 2.5 years in the grind there are days I feel a bit down. But we have a good management team so when one needs a few days off others easily cover for him.

Though I have to admit periods ahead of major releases can be really taxing with as much as 50h a week on the project.

If it helps, the efforts into the Ninth Age project pay off!
That is what drives me. Seeing the enjoyment our work brings on the faces of the people playing the game.
Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

#13 Post by Elias Kalderon »

Keep it up, it's great work! But monitor yourself, because it's only worth it as long as the rewards keep weighing up to the efforts.
Anarion
The White Lion

#14 Post by Anarion »

Cenyu wrote:*dusts off account*

Are there actually any backups of the old Ulthuan campaign subforums (Hour of the Wolf etc) still available?

Hi Elias, Cenyu and other old faces!

I suspect they are, probably just archived to only loremaster view. Unless they got deleted during the ages since I was last a loremaster.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#15 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Well, don't forget we've switched servers recently. Could be some things didn't make the move.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#16 Post by Prince of Spires »

They're probably somewhere. I'm just not sure where.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricold has parts of it lying around somewhere. If you know how to reach him you could prod him and see if he knows.

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
elendor_f

#17 Post by elendor_f »

Try here!
http://talismancy.com/Ulthuan/map.html

I requested a copy of the old articles last year and Ricold was kind enough to provide that link :)
"The general has this to say about ensuring against defeat when outnumbered, out–weaponed and outpositioned. It is... Don't Have a Battle."
"Sounds like a clever man," said Jenkins.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo!

Avatar: https://silmarillionproject.tumblr.com/
Elias Kalderon
Prince of Shades

#18 Post by Elias Kalderon »

My god, Elendor, that's nostalgic. Si'anelle's tales, the Hall of Ancients...

Hey Anarion. How've you been? Did you notice we kept the same avatars after all these years?

Some of you might remember I introduced my girlfriend to this community. She actually became very active in the Off Topic forum and the campaigns under the name Pecten Kalderon. We got married almost 4 years ago. And what's even worse, she's about to give birth to our kid :shock: Never thought I'd have a kid, but, well, something with women and ticking clocks :roll:
Giladis
The Merlord

#19 Post by Giladis »

How is the dress business going? I stopped getting notifications a while a go and when I went to look for it couldn't find it.

A father ha :D

Congratulation to you and Pecten.
Anarion
The White Lion

#20 Post by Anarion »

Elias Kalderon wrote:My god, Elendor, that's nostalgic. Si'anelle's tales, the Hall of Ancients...

Hey Anarion. How've you been? Did you notice we kept the same avatars after all these years?

Some of you might remember I introduced my girlfriend to this community. She actually became very active in the Off Topic forum and the campaigns under the name Pecten Kalderon. We got married almost 4 years ago. And what's even worse, she's about to give birth to our kid :shock: Never thought I'd have a kid, but, well, something with women and ticking clocks :roll:
Congrats on both notes. You won't regret it (I think)! I remember Pecten! And hey once you have a good avatar why change? I recall there being a queue of people who wanted to steal my White Lion. Doing good myself, life keeps rolling.
Never moon a werewolf.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#21 Post by Ricold »

Prince of Spires wrote:They're probably somewhere. I'm just not sure where.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricold has parts of it lying around somewhere. If you know how to reach him you could prod him and see if he knows.
Yes, and no. Yes, I have the backups from that period, but no means of accessing them in a usable format unfortunately. Between the bits visible to the Lores down the bottom and the talismancy archives you have everything that I can get access to any more. The campaign subforums are no longer retrievable. Every time we had to move servers I had to trim the database, and those got cut at some point.

If there's anything that needs my attention, my email is in the Loremaster forum contact thread.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#22 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ricold wrote: If there's anything that needs my attention, my email is in the Loremaster forum contact thread.
I know. But this wasn't urgent enough to poke you directly :) I figured either you'd show up sooner or later or someone else would know where to look or reach out to you.

Check out my plog

Facade19

#23 Post by Facade19 »

Holly molly Batman, some old timers found their way back into the ole homeland. Congrats to the both of you! Can't believe where time went by. Shoot, I recall being a shanty dreamer and aspiring writer. I traded it all to become a soulless lawyer. :( Sigh.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#24 Post by SpellArcher »

It's quite something that I, who've been a member for almost ten years am one of the relatively recent guys on this thread.

:)