Bring back MST3k

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Morgen

Bring back MST3k

#1 Post by Morgen »

Was anyone not aware of this yet? It's like the last few days of this kickstarter to bring back MST3k. I know some folks were excited about the Turkey Day marathon they've been doing the last few years.

Help bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000 at bringbackmst3k.com!

Seriously like tell everyone you know. :D
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Bring back MST3k

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

well, holy cow.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

What is MST3K?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Oh boy. So a janitor gets sent to space so his bosses can perform tests on him and subject him to torture in the form of bad movies. So he builds himself some robot friends and they make wisecracks about the movies the entire time.

So when you watch it you're watching other people/robots watch a really bad movie. Sometimes it's as dumb as it sounds, other times it's hilarious. There are some free episodes on hulu.com if you want to check it out.

I watch a lot of movies/tv while I ride indoors in the winter. 2 hours of riding (daily) and not getting anywhere is a bit more bearable if you have an interesting movie to watch.
Morgen

#5 Post by Morgen »

It was a television show. It started in Minnesota, USA in the 1980's and moved onto cable television for about 10 years or so. Something like 200 episodes of it were made. It was a relatively-to-moderately big deal back in the 1990's. There is a big push for reviving it and hopefully this kickstarter will get them noticed enough to get more funds and continue past the 9/12 episodes they're going to make.

Shannar mentioned the basic premise. Someone is trapped in space by mad scientists who force them to watch cheesy movies as an experiment. They built robots to help keep themselves sane. It's kind of like the movie Silent Running.

If you'd like examples of the show they've got full episodes on their Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/mst3kofficial

I recommend The Pumaman or Manos - The Hands of Fate. Both are great episodes featuring just horrible movies. :D