Augmented reality, oportunity or threat for GW?

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Augmented reality, oportunity or threat for GW?

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

First a bit about what augmented reality is (in this discussion at least). I started wondering about the topic after seeing information about Microsoft's Hololens. It is something between full virtual reality and Google glass. Hololens projects computer images on top of the real world as you see it, using a headset.

It means, for instance, that you can use a flat wall as a tv screen. Or that you can use your own livingroom as part of a computer game. Basically anything can act as a computerscreen. It looks like pretty cool technology (if it works...).

To lay a bridge to GW then, I can see this both replace tabletop wargames and enhance them.

In the negative scenario, you don't need anymore models or terrain to play. Any surface can be used as your battlefield and you can just project models onto it. Select them from an image gallery and you're good to go. A bit like Universal Battle but then instead of 2D with crappy graphics, you get the full warhammer experience.

Then the positive scenario. WH becomes a mix of real battlefield and virtual battlefield.
You find an opponent online, taking away one of the pains for a beginning player (knowing enough people to actually get any games played). You then set up half of the battlefield on your gaming table, while your opponent, who can be half a world away, sets up the other half.

As you deploy your models, you select the digital version of one of the newest released models just to give it a testrun. The rest of your models are real (in the physical sense). Some of the terrain doesn't actually exist. other pieces are still real.

In game, the computer does all the measuring for you (taking away pesky .025'' disputes), it keeps track of stats of units, spells, wounds dealt and so on. You even get fancy graphics for spell effects, miscasts, stonethrower shots and so on.

So, what are peoples thoughts on this? Would you play the game in such a way? Do you think it can be an addition to WH games? Would it replace most of the business of GW?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

Re: Augmented reality, oportunity or threat for GW?

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

I like Warhammer partly because its such an "analog" hobby - a break from using the computer. For that reason, any electronic gadgets are right out, even if the'd be pretty useful. I maybe could live with laser measured distances, line of sight, arches etc (isn't arguing about that part of the game, though?), but computer generated stuff on my table? No way!

So, for me, augmented reality is simply irrelevant to the game, as I like to play it. It might be an opportunity for a lot of people (the suspicious "army book on your iPad" crowd), though.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Morgen

#3 Post by Morgen »

Recreating all kinds of real games in AR certainly seems like an easy move to make. Perhaps someday. Isn't there already miniature game that uses a lot of internet things though?
Madeline Merri

#4 Post by Madeline Merri »

The idea of it is good, just won't make GW enough money for them to take it seriously, sadly - I'd like to see something like this, always have since the days of holographic monster-chess in Star Wars.

-Maddo
[i]"So long honeybabe, where I'm bound, I can't tell. Goodbye's too good a word, babe, so I'll just say 'fare thee well'."[/i]
[b]Recent Joys:[/b] MMA Record: 7-5-1 (Retired) Finished a West-Coast tour as a bass player for several acts.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

Some interesting responses :)

For me the draw of such a technology would initially simply be the chance of getting more games in. At the moment I have a fair bit of trouble finding real world games on a regular basis. If I can expand the group of potential opponents from everyone in the same city to everyone on the same continent then the chance of getting a game in increases dramatically. I do agree that part of the draw of WH is the fact that it's an offline game with real playing pieces. So it's a bit of a conflict there.

The principle of mixing boardgames with electronics isn't anything new. I remember playing a boardgame in the middle 90's (Atmosfear) which already used a VCR as a game element. This would be an extension of that. With much more advanced technology of course. So I can definitely see the options of mixing VR / AR in combination with games. The trick might be to find a way to allow multiple people in the same room to play together. But it does show that combining technology into offline activities can increase the immersion factor.

As for GW being able to make money off of it or not, they might not have a choice. If this takes off, then someone will do something like this. And then GW will end up being left behind. It's a common tech mantra "if something can be disrupted, it will be". And in that case it's better to be the one doing the disrupting, otherwise you will find yourself obsolete very fast.

Of course, it's a big IF. I've been hearing about VR and its potential since the early 90's. So far it has never been more then a niche thing.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.