Ubuntu Edge Superphone/pc Indiegogo Campaign

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

cb_rex

Ubuntu Edge Superphone/pc Indiegogo Campaign

#1 Post by cb_rex »

Has anyone else seen the Indiegogo campaign to raise $32 million, to produce a revolutionary smart phone and pc rolled into one?

-4GB of RAM!
-Fastest smartphone processor available!
-128GB of Storage!
-Connect to mouse, keyboard and monitor for full desktop functionality!
-Ubuntu and Android dual boot!
-Near unscratchable screen!

I could go on... To me this device sounds awesome.

However the receive a phone pledge looks quite expensive. Although for a limited edition SIM free phone it works out as being a similar in cost to an iphone 5 (in the UK) but having the specs and functionality that would blow the iphone 5 out of the water.

I've pledged to receive an Ubuntu Edge and now I'm really interested to see how the campaign comes along, what do people think, will they reach their goal?
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/cb_rex]Rate my painting on CMON[/url]
Prince Asarion

Re: Ubuntu Edge Superphone/pc Indiegogo Campaign

#2 Post by Prince Asarion »

Unfortunately I'm on a students wage, so there's no way I can make this pledge.

However, I love the concept and dual boot Ubuntu on my desktop, so I'm used to it.

For people who just like net machines which is the vast majority of people, this would be a great phone if they can pull it off.

For people like myself, who run a bunch of different things at one, have the need for heavy RAM usage like CAD etc, it'd be fun for things on the go, but definitely not a replacement for my desktop
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
cb_rex

#3 Post by cb_rex »

Yeah your right, I think it will work fine as a desktop for low power applications, for office, web and even some light photo editing I think it will handle well. But for serious video editing or CAD work I think it will bve a good few years before the technology allows enough muscle to be built into such a small device, but I think it will happen, if not with Ubuntu Edge then something else in the vision of Ubuntu Edge.

I wonder if they'll release any really low contributions with chances to win a device. I read somewhere else of an idea to have a $10 contribution, then for every 100 of these they'd raffle off a phone, that would be very cool. Might be worth keeping an eye on.
Rajmahal

#4 Post by Rajmahal »

I think this is the direction Microsoft are going for too. Windows 9 will most likely be common across phone and desktop so that you can have everything on your phone and then dock into a station with a keyboard / mouse / HDD / extra RAM, etc. I think it's a good idea and the future of computing.

My only concern with this product is that an important part of a phone is the camera and it doesn't seem like a big priority for them. Camera-tech is really complex and I'm just not sure what experience they have in developing a great camera on a phone.
Prince Asarion

#5 Post by Prince Asarion »

I don't really think that's so much of a problem. On a camera phone apart from the actual lens (which is simply a matter of buying off the shelf for them) the major differences between cameras on phones is the software. After about 5MP you're not getting much from the hardware. It requires a dedicated Camera to really perform hardware-wise above that. Everything above that comes from the software and if there's one thing Ubuntu does, it's software. And they can get people in to write the algorithms to improve performance pretty easily.
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Unless you're carying around the 41MP nokia lumia 1020 I would say. That thing packs a huge camera sensor. And there is a few other phones out there that pack some extra hardware goodies for the camera's.

But in general I agree that much of it comes down to the camera on the phone. Of course, the camera isn't a dealbreaker for many people I would say. Some people need to have the best camera with them at all times, other people don't realy care and just want a smartphone that does software stuff.

I think there have been models that did similar things in the past as well. I remember one phone you could lock into a screen to make it a tablet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was the direction phones started taking. Most people just want a bit of internet surfing and some Office stuff out of a computer. No need for top of the line graphics...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
cb_rex

#7 Post by cb_rex »

rdghuizing is spot on.

Canonical have said they'll put a good quality camera in the device, optimised for low light situations as thats where smart phones are often used for taking photos. Which makes total sense, anyone serious about taking great photos in certain situations (eg. action/landscape/macro/etc) will be using a Digital SLR not a smart phone.

So I'd say it's safe to assume that if funded the Ubuntu Edge will have a really good camera in it, probably equivalent to iphone 5 for example.