Thesis Defense

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NightHawk45

Thesis Defense

#1 Post by NightHawk45 »

Hey!
For those of you who don't know, I've spent these past two years working on my Master's degree in mathematics. After putting countless hours into my thesis, I finally had my defense this past week. The defense took a long time (hour and a half) but I passed! It feels so good to be done.

I'm stopping at a master's because I want to go get a job in industry. If any of your are working on your Master's or PhD, I commend you and encourage you to continue. It will be worth it. I thought that I'd never finish, but I have!

Hopefully, now I'll get some more time to work on the hobby side of warhammer!
RE.Lee

Re: Thesis Defense

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Congrats! Seriously, a degree in maths is impressive. Most impressive 8)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Greenman

#3 Post by Greenman »

Well done Mate. Best of luck with the application of your degree.
Shadow star

#4 Post by Shadow star »

congratulations! =D
Masters, damn I'm struggling with GCSE maths! hats off to you!
[i]The shadow of war is cast long in the dying light of peace.[/i]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

What was the thesis about?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#6 Post by Giladis »

Congratulations! Since I am waiting for the date of my defence I sure can understand how you felt.
NightHawk45

#7 Post by NightHawk45 »

Thanks, guys!
rdghuizing wrote:What was the thesis about?

Rod
I know a few guys have mathematical backgrounds on here, but I can't remember if you are one of them. If you would like more clarification, let me know!

Most simply put, my thesis is over how a crack (like the one in your windshield) expands.

Less simply put, if you take a crack and open it, there are a combination of 3 different ways that the crack can open. These ways as seen in the following picture:

Now, consider the material that the crack is in. If you take paper or glass, the material is essentially the same throughout. However, if the material varies in properties depending on where you are in it, then it is called a functionally graded material. Think of a pool that has water in it (one of those out of the backyard pools that stand above the ground). If it breaks and the waters spills onto the ground then the ground becomes functionally graded. The top of the soil is very wet, but as you go father and farther down, the water gets less and less wet.

An analysis of a mode III crack in functionally graded material had been done 20 or so years prior and you can see if HERE. I used similar techniques to analyze a mode I crack in a functionally graded material, however, it was much, much (much, much) harder. Funny how that is.

The thesis is a combination of elasticity, fracture mechanics and surprisingly enough, complex analysis. In particular, I had to learn how to calculate an inverse Mellin transformations (which are similar to Laplace transformations as seen in Differential Equations) and find residues. It makes me wish that I had taken a complex analysis course as an undergrad or grad student... lol. However, my dad got his PhD in complex analysis and so could offer me a pointer or two. I had to take a a course in each of these subjects or study them on my own to know enough before I could even start on it. However, I have a very good (Irish) adviser and received quality mentoring from him.

Now, all that I have left is to format my paper according to the university's guidelines (bleh) and then walk! Life is good. Then, I have to get a job and do adult stuff.
Giladis wrote:Congratulations! Since I am waiting for the date of my defence I sure can understand how you felt.
Thanks! I am so glad it is over. As it is summer, the professors on my committee weren't all in town at the same time. Luckily though, my adviser was able to skype from Ireland and so we picked a day that would work for everyone else. I was able to defend before the deadline required to graduate in August. By the way, what is your thesis/dissertation about?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the explanation. I've studied physics, so some of that made a bit of sense to me. Sounds pretty complex. Funny to see how 2 seemingly similar problems (like mode I and III) can end up having very different solutions.

What "adult stuff" plans do you have? Any ideas of what you want to do now you've grown up?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
NightHawk45

#9 Post by NightHawk45 »

adult stuff... Mainly it is get a job. I am waiting to hear back from a job that I interviewed at and have a few other ideas if that doesn't work out. I been applying to work as an analyst or to software development companies and oil companies. Long term, there is a company in Wisconsin called EPIC which is a medical records software company. It sounds like an amazing job. I applied there once and got a few interviews in, but didn't get it. What I want to do is to get some experience and apply there at a later point in time. I saved up some money during college and grad school and am paying really cheap rent and so I can spend some time figuring out my game plan. If all else fails, I am going to look at taking the actuary exams. I got a minor in that area and enjoyed it.
Giladis
The Merlord

#10 Post by Giladis »

NightHawk45 wrote:Thanks, guys!
By the way, what is your thesis/dissertation about?
I am not quite sure it will sound right in english but here goes.

Spatial analisis of graves with exclusive finds from the late 8th to the late 9th century in the territory of the medieval Croatian state.