XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Silly Dragon

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

#1 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Or the American title of 'UFO Defense' (i much prefer the European one myself).

Namely the new version that is going to be released this week (if you pre-order from Steam you also get Civilisation 5 for free).

Anyone else getting this game and if so what is your hopes and fears? If you've played the old XCOM or not.

Myself i played the old XCOM but never actually completed it (but my dad has so i know the last mission is an attack on the alien base on Mars). I liked the tactical gameplay and base/resource management. Many die hard fans liked the hardcore nature while i preferred my soldiers to be a bit more 'elite' and not stupid stats (they are supposed to be Earth's best soldiers afterall). I didn't like missions that started with the aliens surrounding the Skyranger and killing all that leave with 1 shot but that was the risk of the game.

The new game i have seen some missions for and gameplay and it seems to be random encounters like the old one (good) and with objective based missions thrown in every now and then (good). I like the idea of objectives (like i saw one mission that was offered to the player to attempt to save a UN member from an Alien attack, locate on map and bring back to Skyranger) and this i liked as the old just felt like the same 'search and destroy' mission with just random terrain and numbers each time.

My fears are that it will be short or i will have a time limit as i like to play games at my own pace (like missions becomming hard too quickly and elevating before i can start to really enjoy my new piece of equipment). I felt the old game was just a rush to get the plasma weapons or whatever was the best then. Now it seems more like skills and soldier perks are essential which is good and i hope i am right.

My other fear is that it would be too easy (i know about the difficulty settings such as 'Classic' mode). But i don't want it too simple and straight forward as i like being creative with ways to approach aliens and the fog of war.

So whats your thoughts and if its already out in your country what is your experience firsthand with it? (no spoilers please).

Bloody excited for this game!
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
RE.Lee

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm pretty excited about the game too.

I used to play the classic version (the last mission is indeed an attack on mars) and loved it. I downloaded the new demo version from Steam and it seemed ok. Obviously, it was lacking in sentimental value but I liked the gameplay. I'm glad Firaxis made the game, they usually do fine.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
The Silly Dragon

#3 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I got the game when it came out (had it pre-loaded on steam). I've since played some 10 or so hours on it and have found it to be a good game and certainly a nice change from my Borderlands 2 experience. In Borderlands i didn't take it seriously as the humour in the game makes it so but in XCOM i found myself really getting invested in the story.

My first start in the game i really didn't know what i was doing and was getting killed, countries pulling support, failing terror missions big time! (damn Chrysalissds!). But like every game i start i always have my first play through as a 'trial run' to get used to the interface, controls, tactics etc. So i started again and am currently interrogating a Sectoid while researching Plasma weapons (i can use Plasma Pistols but don't have enough alloys to make any). Laser weapons all round and i finally got the grapple hook on my snipers.

Favourite class is Assault. I just love using 'run-and-gun' to take out that annoying Muton up close and personal! Only problem is sometimes he dashes out and then other Aliens are revealed and outflank him!

Met my first Cyberdisk and blew it up with a Rocket.

Also met my first Berserker and it took my whole squad of 6 to take it down before it could kill someone (i've seen one in action on youtube). This is one thing i don't like about the game, only up to 6 squad members? I had like 15 with a hovertank in the original (and even it weren't enough at times).

The other thing i don't like is the panic and abduction missions. Sure its cool how you have to make hard decisions but sometimes it doesn't give you a chance to help a country out. For instance Russia pulled funding but i had no missions even near Rusiia offered to me so i was doomed to lose them anyway. That and half my missions have been in England (not just because its my home but partly, just they were often the ones with most panic of the 3 or they had the best rewards like 4 Scientists when i needed more Scientists). Now they are dangerously close to pulling funding too! What?

Overall a great game and i recommend it to everyone. I just wonder what the last mission is...
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I'll definitely give it a try in the future, although it might require upgrading my computer :)

Thanks for sharing your impressions, they were very helpful.

Cheers!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy