Guild Wars 2

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Guild Wars 2

#1 Post by Luna Guardian »

So, I decided to give MMORPGs a try this time, since I don't have to pay a monthly subscription fee. As soon as I can find a copy somewhere, I'm getting Guild Wars 2, which seems pretty cool to me. Anyone else around here planning on getting it or already pleaying it? What're your thoughts?

I'm really tired, hence the lackluster post :P
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
jayzerus

Re: Guild Wars 2

#2 Post by jayzerus »

I don't play MMORPG games because I don't want to lose focus on real life. I had a bad experience in college with Ultima Online (I'm dating myself a bit here) and now that life is serious - i.e. I have a good job and a family to take care of, I don't play to make sure I don't have a repeat.

That said, however, I have some friends that have all but abandoned their painting goals because of this game. That must mean good things. And I must admit - it does look like a beautiful game.
Mentheus of Caledor

#3 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

I'm looking at buying it, however I run a mac, and obviously there is an issue there :)
I know people have had decent success with wine etc, but I'd hate to fork out for the game and not be able to play it. :?
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Mentheus of Caledor

#4 Post by Mentheus of Caledor »

Just an update, the beta for mac has been released. So Yes, I'm getting this game :)
"They thought we had all but died out, but as we take to the skies our foes will tremble with fear, for they will know the True Dragon Princes have returned."
Dargon

#5 Post by Dargon »

I've been playing for the last month, and Guild Wars 2 is basically everything Warhammer Online should have been. It looks beautiful, plays well, feels like an open world and has content that should remain viable for a long time to come - endgame begins at level 1. That the game has no subscription fee is just icing on the cake.

GW2 is a really magnificent game that has the sense to take many mechanics that have been staples of MMO's since the dawn of time and turn them on their head, and the game really benefits from it. Instead of the holy trinity of classes (tank, healer and DPS/damage dealer), every class can do a little of everything, take full responsibility for their own actions, and resurrect fallen comrades. Instead of running to quest givers, the quest givers will often run up to you begging for your help. Levelling is still there, but is virtually redundant as your character is perpetually scaled to match whatever area you happen to be in, so even opening content should remain relevant and challenging.

Only downside I've found so far is in their mass-pvp combat maps. They've done a great job of taking the best elements from Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot, but their maps are limited to 166 players per server, so cues for entering these maps can be long and coordinating large groups of friends tricky. Even with these limitations, the game still struggles to render large numbers of players (even on minimum settings), so one moment you and your 19 friends are confidently charging in to wipe out 10 enemy players... and then you find your force wiped out and the other 30 enemy players begin rendering around you.

All up, I'm really enjoying the game, and with easy levelling and no subscription, I like the feeling of complete freedom to come and go from the game on my own terms.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
The Silly Dragon

#6 Post by The Silly Dragon »

When it was first announced i was like *sarcasm* "yeah! another MMO! lots of money to waste for people! yay!" then it came out in the shops and i was like *sarcasm* "wow!" pun intended.

Then i kinda ignored it like i do all MMOs until i was bored one day and looked up my favourite Game reviewer 'Angry Joe Show' on youtube. Then to find he had done a review on it... :? . But bored as i was i watched it and when he started shouting "NO FREAKING SUBSCRIPTION FEE!" i was alot more interested.

I still haven't picked it up but its a stealfor what you get from it. I honestly can't see how WOW or any other MMO that charges a monthly fee can survive. I mean the other day i see this stupid DLC for WOW on TV. Some shit about a Kung Fu Panda! Really? Thats the best they have to offer when Guild Wars 2 is out?

My computer can run it. My internet is fairly good and i can afford the £40 for it. So why haven't i got it yet? Simple i have been burnt from MMOs before with all the unfriendly people you meet on them. The amount of time you waste and the stigma that MMo players have "nerd!".

I should get it and i think i will eventually, perhaps if i had some people i can trust and know of outside of GW2 i would get it sooner. :wink:
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#7 Post by Luna Guardian »

Well, I have had very pleasant interactions with players in GW2. A few of them are trolls of course, but this is the internet, there're trolls everywhere. But 98% of the players have been very nice, it's amazing what happens when there's no real competition between players and people are actually working together
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Dargon

#8 Post by Dargon »

Luna Guardian wrote:it's amazing what happens when there's no real competition between players and people are actually working together
I think this is perhaps the biggest strength of GW2. The developers seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to make the game completely co-operative. It's extremely hard to grief people in the game.
* You can't steal harvestable nodes out from under people - if a node is there, everyone can harvest it.
* It's extremely difficult to steal kills - if you can tag it, you get equal chance of credit and loot, and the loot you get doesn't reduce the chance of anyone else getting their loot.
* The removal of the "Holy Trinity" of classes means that any group of random players can participate - no waiting around specifically for a tank or healer, everyone is invited.
* The removal of the "Holy Trinity" of classes also means you're not relying on the tank for holding a monsters attention, or the healer for keeping your health up or resurrecting you - this may sound less co-operative, but when everyone can help out in every situation, they tend to (especially when their survival depends on it, and they aren't losing out on credit or loot by stopping to resurrect you).

Trolls will be trolls, and many of them have over a decade of trolling, griefing and general bad attitude ingrained into their behaviour from their experiences in other MMO's, but they are already quickly disappearing in GW2 with all the mechanics geared towards helping one another out, and removing most of the motivation for griefing in the first place.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Ghost

#9 Post by Ghost »

I played the orignial guild wars since it first came out and really loved it... I was a little uneased when they decided to change around the entire mechanics of what made guild wars itself but it seems to be have been a successful transition, and even people from my old guild have told me it is fantastic.
Really is a shame though, with gw2 out gw1 is almost empty, next to impossible to do a Fowsc, uwsc, doasc, or any hom... Oh well its the change in the times.
Currently i'm on the same boat as the gentleman above. Real life is currently underway and i can't risk buying this game and having it swallow up loads of my time, but it is definitely on my list of games to get, and hopefully when i get it in a few months from now they will be well on their way to tweaking and bugs and faults in the system.
The Silly Dragon

#10 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Well a 'virtual friend' on another forum has offered me a free trial for GW2. I gave him my E-mail and shortly after have an e-mail from ArenaNet giving me a code to pout in for a free trial (sweet!").

Its between the 15th and the 18th of this month (November), so essentially this weekend. Now i've been away from MMOs for some time. If i enjoy it i'll upgrade and buy the actual game.

My 'virtual friend' plays on Darkhaven server so thats probably where i will start if i can.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]