The Olympic Games 2012

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Keith

Re: The Olympic Games 2012

#31 Post by Keith »

I understand the dislike of commercilization, but honestly, you could probably use a serious coach. Seeing as how you've already run an olympic qualifying time(and no one from your country is at the olympics in your event). I would wager you can already "compete" with the best in your country.

Your comments in other regards don't make any sense. You don't want to compete until you are sure you can win, yet you said it isn't about beating the other guy, only bettering yourself. I am sure you know that facing high levels of competition can only help you in this regard. Whether you race or not, if someone is faster than you, you are still not the best. Though, you have the potential to be a world class talent. I hope you take it more seriously.

I agree about the swimming though. Seems incredibly unlikely.
Defender of Ulthuan
Giladis
The Merlord

#32 Post by Giladis »

Keith wrote:I understand the dislike of commercilization, but honestly, you could probably use a serious coach. Seeing as how you've already run an olympic qualifying time(and no one from your country is at the olympics in your event). I would wager you can already "compete" with the best in your country.
I am confused now. My times were slower than the Olympic B norm.
Keith wrote:Your comments in other regards don't make any sense. You don't want to compete until you are sure you can win, yet you said it isn't about beating the other guy, only bettering yourself. I am sure you know that facing high levels of competition can only help you in this regard. Whether you race or not, if someone is faster than you, you are still not the best. Though, you have the potential to be a world class talent. I hope you take it more seriously.
The thing is I as an individual seek only to better myself but as a member of my family/clan I have to think of the family honour in all things I do. My kin are a proud bunch if a little conservative (I guess people in US or UK would call them backward) and maintaining our colective honour in all we do is as important as our personal wishes. We are an old bloodline that have lost our titles and most of our lands when communists came to power and though we are no longer entitled to many things just by birthright we are still raised to seek excellence in all we do to show all why once many of our people looked up to us for protection and guidance and to show we have the qualities to take that burden and honour in the future if circumstances come to that.

By the way, thank you on your kind wishes.

Cheers
Keith

#33 Post by Keith »

Giladis, look at the times from today! you would have won heat 2 and your time would 100% have moved into the semi-final of the olympic 1500. Your time would not likely be good enough to medal, but you could potentially make the finals. Also, assuming you've never raced against competition like that how do you know what you can really do?

As a matter of family honor, I guess I just don't understand how not competing honors your family more than competing. ESP considering the level you can reach with 4 months of training.

Just clarifying, you said you've run a 1500m in 3:38.11.

Results from todays qualifying round in London.

Not to get into a separate discussion, but what should anyone have by "birthright"?
Defender of Ulthuan
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#34 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

very unfemale body outline
yeh, that's what 15 year olds look like. It'll be interesting to see what happens as she grows up, could end up slowing her down.
Giladis
The Merlord

#35 Post by Giladis »

Keith wrote:Just clarifying, you said you've run a 1500m in 3:38.11.

Results from todays qualifying round in London.
Now I see the source of misunderstanding. In order to compete at the OG one has to run at least the B norm which is 3:38.00 (A norm is 3:35.50) so though my time was very close to that and I could have won Heat 2 with it, it was still not enough to get me to the OG.
Keith wrote:Not to get into a separate discussion, but what should anyone have by "birthright"?
My personal opinion is nothing but many of my folks still look back to the days when we had lands, positions of influence and serfs and were entitled to do things or go places ordinary folks weren't allowed or didn't have the money for. I mean my father still dreams of retiering to the countryside atendent by servants though he never personaly had them. For far to long my ancestors did not have to worry about food, empoyment and stuff like that since that was either provided or ensured simply by the fact who they were and could focus on preparing their bodies and minds for war as well as other subjects of their interest like economics, medicine etc. Though those times have passed old traditions and attitudes die hard.

yeh, that's what 15 year olds look like.
I was more thinking about the girl having an downturned tirangle of a torso.
Giladis
The Merlord

#36 Post by Giladis »

USA has the Basketball dream team but Croatia has the same in Handball and Waterpolo. What a game it was today, first we crushed Serbia (European vice champions from January) with 8 goal difference and than today Danmark (European champions from January) with 11 goal difference. \:D/
Allerion
Librarian

#37 Post by Allerion »

USA MEDALS IN FENCING WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT
Excited for TOW
Voodoomaster
High Cartographer

#38 Post by Voodoomaster »

I am so happy with the performance of Team GB so far in this Olympics Sitting pretty in 3rd on the Medals table, and a set of amazing performances at Eton Dorney, the Veledrom and the stadium last night.

I was at Eton yesterday for the Rowing amazing atmosphere and two great performances the UK won the Coxless 4's for the 3rd successive Olympic.

I am so proud of how the olympics have gone fantastic
[img]http://www.ulthuan.net/archive/images/Lore4.jpg[/img]
[size=117][color=blue]"There are many wonders to the world, one being the world itself" Loremaster Hlaeitryn, High Cartographer to the Phoenix King.[/color]

[color=red]"The Slaaneshi have their Anointed, Khaine has me" Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine [/color][/size]
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#39 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

I'm really impressed with the GB track cycling program. They've come a long way in the last 4 years.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#40 Post by Prince of Spires »

Comming from a small country, I'm still proud of the netherlands slowly climbing the medal table. If you add in the certain gold medal in wind-surfing (the guy already can't be passed anymore, but the last race is only today), we're 10th. Which is pretty impressive for a country with only 16 million people...

@Giladis, without derailing the thread too much: those are some pretty impressive times. Congrats on them. One thing I would like to advise you is to look into doping regulations. Not that I am implying you are using doping or anything like that (I highly doupt it). But with many sports, you need to be known to doping agencies at least half a year before you are allowed to compete in any high level sports competitions. So if you do want to compete you will probably at least have to register with them prior to participating. It would be a shame after all if you miss out on a big event because of some burocratic formality.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Keith

#41 Post by Keith »

@ giladis My point only is that you should be competing in world class events and training for them for more than 4 months! Even without taking anything from endorsements there is still prize money and you could most likely be a professional runner.

Bolt does it again. At the end of that 100m he looked like he was just hitting his top speed, the 200m is going to be insane.

Favorite event so far was the men's 10000m, both Farah and Rupp ran an excellent race.
Defender of Ulthuan
Paraicj

#42 Post by Paraicj »

Katie Taylor, Ireland's biggest hope for gold, has just pummeled some poor English girl in the female lightweight boxing quarter-finals. Bronze guaranteed, but looks very good to go better!
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Giladis
The Merlord

#43 Post by Giladis »

I am feeling really sorry for USA fans, there is a massacre happening in the waterpolo pool. Considering that USA trained alongside Croatia in the run up to the olympic tournament I was expecting more.
Teledor

#44 Post by Teledor »

Yes. I was disappointed with the lop sided result for USA against Croatia. They performed so well in the first 3 games. I think they just got out of sorts in the last few games, especially against Hungary, that put them into the knockout round with poor momentum/form.

That said, the Eastern European teams are often very strong. Three out of the four semi finalists are from the former Yugoslav Republic. A bit disappointing result, but I'm not shocked.
Mr Pig

#45 Post by Mr Pig »

At first I really wasn't thinking I was going to get in to the olympics, but as soon as I watched the opening ceremony I was hooked! I'll be really sad when it's all over, I think we've been a great host nation!
Giladis
The Merlord

#46 Post by Giladis »

What a ulcer giving game in the men's handball semifinal between France and Croatia. France won and they were a better team but I am just lost to words on the performance of Croatia. I just can't imagine what was going on in their heads to have such a mindblock. Oh well at least the Waterpolo team will be playing in the final.

The next handball world cup will be really interesting since the two best teams of the last decade - France and Croatia - are having more than 50% of their first line up retire.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#47 Post by Prince of Spires »

We (being the Netherlands) won the best spectator sport of the games. Womens hockey. Cute, blond girls in short skirts running and hugging each other. What's not to like...

Unfortunatly, we lost the mens final against the germans...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#48 Post by Giladis »

rdghuizing wrote: Cute, blond girls in short skirts running and hugging each other. What's not to like...
=P~

Though I have to say Argentinians aren't bad looking either.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#49 Post by Prince of Spires »

Giladis wrote:
rdghuizing wrote: Cute, blond girls in short skirts running and hugging each other. What's not to like...
=P~

Though I have to say Argentinians aren't bad looking either.
Very true. I wasn't just talking about the dutch players. I expect that it's part of the selection process. You have to be tall, pretty, blond and have long hair (and be able to play hockey...). So you end up with 20 pretty girls running after each other. If you would add in mud or jelly you end up with an 18+ rated show. ;)

In the end, I feel the netherlands did quite well this olympics. Getting 20 medals as a small country is impressive enough for me.

Rod

Check out my plog

Teledor

#50 Post by Teledor »

Giladis... Croatia won water polo! Are people celebrating/going crazy? I know it's a niche sport here, but isn't it a big deal in eastern Europe?
Paraicj

#51 Post by Paraicj »

Ireland got 5 medals, our best ever result! (Equal to 1956)

We have only one high performance sports programme, and that's in boxing. It clearly shows with 4 medals in that sport. A bronze in equestrian rounds out the take.

The loudest cheer recorded at the 2012 olympics so far was for Katie Taylor, Irish female boxer. 113dB! :D
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Giladis
The Merlord

#52 Post by Giladis »

Teledor wrote:Giladis... Croatia won water polo! Are people celebrating/going crazy? I know it's a niche sport here, but isn't it a big deal in eastern Europe?
Yes it is a celebration. We also managed to easily win bronze in handball, France won the gold but it seamed they did not put a 100% effort to win.
Teledor

#53 Post by Teledor »

I'm always sad to the see the Summer Games end. Hats off to London.
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#54 Post by Eldacar »

rdghuizing wrote:We (being the Netherlands) won the best spectator sport of the games. Womens hockey. Cute, blond girls in short skirts running and hugging each other. What's not to like...
You did see the Australian synchronised swimming team, right?

Nice Games. Would have liked more medals for Australia, but you can't win everything.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.