PS3 Games.

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Yvran the Prince

PS3 Games.

#1 Post by Yvran the Prince »

I recently received a PS3 for my birthday, and I'm not sure what games to get. for quite a while. I was wondering if the wonderful people of Ulthuan could recommend some good ones? I have Skyrim already, but that's it. Go light on the shooters and sport games, and heavy on the fantasy/sci-fi RPGs. A short explaination why would be nice too.
"If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget the less important bits of it. Like your pants."

"Dojo! What is Rule One?"
"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

Re: PS3 Games.

#2 Post by Luna Guardian »

An absolute must is 3D Dot Game Heroes. It borrows heavily from the old Zelda games with unique gameplay elements and humor that makes it an amazing game.

Another excellent choice is Darksiders, which in turn borrows from the newer Zelda games. Its a lot darker, but has an excelleny story and Mark Hamill!

The Metal Gear HD collection, MGS 4 and Metal Gear Solid (from the PSN store) are my favorite games of all time with the most immersive and entertaining storylines in any game ever. Definitely have some scifi elements there too ;).

Those oughta get you started, if you need more advice, just ask. You can also add me on PSN, my ID is in my sig :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
The Silly Dragon

#3 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Dark Siders is notoriously hard though so only go with it if your up a challenge.

For fantasy RPG style why not choose stuff like Dragon Age: Origins (not the second one). Thats a personal favourite of mine.

Fallout games are great and have a strong RPG element to them.

Stay away from the COD and Battlefield its just full of 10 years olds swearing at each other.

But my biggest suggestion would be to sell the PS3 and get yourself a PC! :mrgreen: (Let the Flame Wars commence! :lol: )
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Yvran the Prince

#4 Post by Yvran the Prince »

Thanks guys! Dragon Age, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Darksiders all look amazing, and I am definitely getting at least one of them next week when I will be in the city (I live in a fairly small town and can't get games often). I'm trying to decide between MGS and Fallout at the moment.
"If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget the less important bits of it. Like your pants."

"Dojo! What is Rule One?"
"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#5 Post by Luna Guardian »

You could buy the stuff from Amazon and have it delivered :wink:
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

The Mass Effect series is probably the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series. It's epic. Fallout is also pretty deece.
The Silly Dragon

#7 Post by The Silly Dragon »

John Rainbow wrote:The Mass Effect series is probably the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series. It's epic. Fallout is also pretty deece.
Mass Effect i would normally say is the best game franchise ever but not since ME3. Play the first two by all means they are great but avoid the last like the plague!

If you want RPGness then Fallout is a much better game then MGS. Now i liked MGS but since Snake eater its all gone downhill for it and the plots are just stupid. But its more FPS then RPG with alittle stealth thrown in (which gets stupid with all the futuristic gadgets you get in more recent ones). Give it a try though as it may well be to your taste.
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#8 Post by Luna Guardian »

The Silly Dragon wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:The Mass Effect series is probably the best RPG I've played since the Baldur's Gate series. It's epic. Fallout is also pretty deece.
Mass Effect i would normally say is the best game franchise ever but not since ME3. Play the first two by all means they are great but avoid the last like the plague!
I disagree, I loved the third one...until the ending...and when the extended cut was released, I loved even that. Play the third one as well :)

The Silly Dragon

#9 Post by The Silly Dragon »

No the whole 3rd game is poor and felt like it was made by different writers and a different company, it is far weaker then the other 2 and a below average game. The ending is just the final insult in the 3rd game and many people belive the game to be good as the ending is so bad forgetting all the BS that goes on in the 3rd one. Really a mentally retarded worm could write better then what they did. From the very start where you leave earth to the end it sucks (with one exception of saving the Krogan on Tuchanka).

The extended cut is just a method of distracting people from the main issues. Its a peace keeper and not a problem solver as its still extending a crap ending. Red, Green or Blue is still the options and the hidden forth is really bad as you don'ty even see any ship to ship fights to really show you that you can't win conventionally. Which you CAN! The whol concept of the 3rd game is broken as they say you cannot win conventionally...how did we kill Sovreign and the Human-Reaper and even the Reaper on Earth gets killed by a 1 shot Cain weapon (the mini nuke one). If a handheld weapon can kill a small Reaper class ship then what about the huge cannons of capital ships and thanix and the such huh?

It was going well until you reach Mars where the Crucible starts to get rammed down your throat! Even the start at Earth has its flaws!

Anyways thats enough ranting about Mass Effect and retardware. Didn't want to hijack the thread so if you want to continue then make a new thread.
Facade19

#10 Post by Facade19 »

I think the first purchase you should undertake are the three games in the Uncharted Series.
In house game specifically designed to show the capability of the PS3.
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#11 Post by Luna Guardian »

SPOILERS

The Silly Dragon wrote:No the whole 3rd game is poor and felt like it was made by different writers and a different company, it is far weaker then the other 2 and a below average game. The ending is just the final insult in the 3rd game and many people belive the game to be good as the ending is so bad forgetting all the BS that goes on in the 3rd one. Really a mentally retarded worm could write better then what they did. From the very start where you leave earth to the end it sucks (with one exception of saving the Krogan on Tuchanka).

The extended cut is just a method of distracting people from the main issues. Its a peace keeper and not a problem solver as its still extending a crap ending. Red, Green or Blue is still the options and the hidden forth is really bad as you don'ty even see any ship to ship fights to really show you that you can't win conventionally. Which you CAN! The whol concept of the 3rd game is broken as they say you cannot win conventionally...how did we kill Sovreign and the Human-Reaper and even the Reaper on Earth gets killed by a 1 shot Cain weapon (the mini nuke one). If a handheld weapon can kill a small Reaper class ship then what about the huge cannons of capital ships and thanix and the such huh?

It was going well until you reach Mars where the Crucible starts to get rammed down your throat! Even the start at Earth has its flaws!

Anyways thats enough ranting about Mass Effect and retardware. Didn't want to hijack the thread so if you want to continue then make a new thread.
I disagree with almost every point there. There are some plotholes, but after the extended ending most of those (and the only ones I had issues with) were gone. I was with the series from the beginning as well, so I have the same strong feelings as you do.

And you can't win conventionally. It took the entire Citadel defence fleet and the Alliance fleet to take out Sovereign in the first game. In the final battle, there are a lot more Reapers than just one. I'm ok with this though, even though I would have preferred a conventional victory.

Now, we will not agree on this, so let's just agree to disagree.

The Silly Dragon

#12 Post by The Silly Dragon »

It took the 5th fleet not ALL the alliance. Sovereign had a geth fleet which did most of the damage as he flew past to get to the master controls of the Citadel. Sovereign didn't start attacking until the 5th fleet started firing on him HE CLOSED THE CITADEL ARMS to protect himself why if his basically invicible?

Also look at the codex for the stats on the Thanix Cannons which more or less each destroyer has and you'll see that you CAN win conventionally. Retardware just wanted an easy way out and told us again and again that you can't when both 2 games before said you can. Because they wanted the Crucible crap for some unknown reason.

Also theres alot of Reapers sure but the Quarians alone have 50,000 ships and in the 3rd game they are all armed with all sorts of Cannons. Them alone could put up a fight and then factor in the Asari, Turians, Salarians, Humans, Geth and you got yourself a pretty decent fleet...to protect a Crucible? NO to go forward and massacre the Reapers. I've always thought that there was a lesson in the games to cooperate and not be racist and to have diversity but the Crucible throws that lesson out the window.

They missed a great chance with the EMS score which does absolutly nothing! (if you do get the 3rd game then don't bother getting high EMS). Why didn't i see the Volus bombing fleet? Or any Elcor living tanks on Earth?

Also in ME2 it states the Normandy SR2 is too big to go into the atmosphere of a planet (hence the introduction of the Kodiak Shuttle) but the extended cut sees it fly over London...what? Things like this is how ME3 ignores its own lore and codex entries. The reason why the game sucks. From a standalone game it is good but factor in that it is building upon an already great franchise and does all the cheap repeats of the last 2 games (Geth conflict AGAIN?!?) and it really is a poor game.

I was going to frame all 3 games after playing them all but i am only going to frame 2 and ME3 is in the bin, where it belongs.
Paraicj

#13 Post by Paraicj »

^There's already a thread for all that Mass Effect stuff, go argue there.

I agree with Facade. I just finished Uncharted 3 and it really is a very good game. It reminds me of all the good bits of the original Tomb Raider series, but with seriously impressive graphics, cut-scenes that work and voice-acting that doesn;t want me to block my ears up with wax. Definitely worth a look. It is quite linear though, so not as open-world as Skyrim/Dragon Age etc.

I'm going to have a look at darksiders myself now, hadn't come up on my radar! Maybe 3D Dot game heroes too...
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]
Tetengo

#14 Post by Tetengo »

Heavy Rain.

You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life. Trust me.
[i][color=#0080BF]"O Isha, here I stand, on the last shore, a sword in my hand, Ulthuan shall never fall!"[/color][/i]
possumman

#15 Post by possumman »

Agreed. Heavy Rain is excellent, unique, and one of the best games I have ever played.
Caution : Be VERY careful when googling it - spoilers are easy to come across.

I also highly recommend Dark Souls, great game.
Shout outs go to Assassins Creed and Uncharted.
War's not about who's right, it's about who's left.
Paraicj

#16 Post by Paraicj »

I just got Gran Turismo 5.

I love cars. This game is terrifyingly good at simulating driving. I could easily get lost in it for days adjusting gear ratios and spring strength. Every car is gorgeous and seems to drive pretty faithfully. If you like car games, none compare.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg11hc95.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/mora3q5k.gif[/img]
[i]Dread Lord Zakhital Goremane the Incompetent, 181 kills 5/22/11
[color=red][b]Vaul's Vengeful Villain[/b][/color]
[url=http://img3.abload.de/img/paraicamonueiq.jpg]Paraicamon, I choose you![/url][/i]