Thank you australia

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Thank you australia

#1 Post by Prince of Spires »

On my way to work this morning I read in the newspaper that australia is planning to create the biggest network of maritime parks in the world. Turning about 1/3e of their total national waters into some form of protected area. => http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Aust ... story.html

As an avid diver and as someone who has seen the great barrier reef up close I want to say to all Aussies: thank you! It's much needed and I'm sure future generations and many divers will appreciate the plans. :) Now I just hope more nations will follow...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
The Silly Dragon

Re: Thank you australia

#2 Post by The Silly Dragon »

I always think that the Aussies have the right way of thinking in this world! I want to live there and be a part of these people with actual common sense for a change!

They see whats needed for the future while other countries get bloated with greed.

Well Done Australia!

PS: i wish to see the great barrier reef for myself one day...will have to learn to swim first though... :oops:
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Facade19

#3 Post by Facade19 »

Thank you Australia for trying to preserve a bit of heaven for our future generations. You guys rock!!!
Talifan

#4 Post by Talifan »

us Aussies are sweet people arent we! lol that aside, The GBR is one of the most beautiful places on the earth and the diving is mint.

Glad to call myself an Aussie!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Aethyr

#5 Post by Aethyr »

Lol at "common sense" here in Australia. This country is turning into the biggest nanny state, good decisions such as this one barely get appreciated because of all the other bullshit that comes our way, still it is good news.
[i]The Dwarf begged the Dice Gods for Insane Courage on his re-rollable Break Test, failed to achieve it, and the Dice Gods mocked him horribly by giving him Double 1s for his flee distance immediately after. My White Lions promptly ran the Warriors down.[/i]
[b]Lord Tethlis' account of slaying fowl Dawi.[/b]
Arratak

#6 Post by Arratak »

Aussie pride ftw!! And yes we have common sense... Well some anyway... I cant speak for all though
[quote="Ptolemy"]
"My eagles are going to die. If you choose how they die, you'll win the game. If you let me choose, I'll win the game." [/quote]

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg[/img][/url]
The Silly Dragon

#7 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Arratak wrote:And yes we have common sense... Well some anyway... I cant speak for all though
You have more than England does! The amount of stupid decisions made really does make me wonder if we got chimpanzees in our government! :lol:
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Facade19

#8 Post by Facade19 »

I think we Yanks got all of you beat when it comes to stupid decisions. No contest.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#9 Post by Prince of Spires »

The great barrier reef is definatly worth the visit. You realy should learn how to swim TSD. It becomes a more memorable trip if you come back from it ;)

I'm not going to comment on the Aussies having sense or not. They're upside down for too much of the time in my opinion. ;) But this is definatly something they have done right. And I do hope many more countries will follow their example. Of course, tourism is part of the key here I believe. If someone can make more money by supporting divers then by fishing, then you will see more protection measures being put in place.

This is also one of the reasons why this is such a strange and noteworthy plan. There is little to no direct economic reason to institute this marine park. And they still do it.

perhaps as a thank you, I should travel back to down under and do some diving to support the local economy there... ;) Now just to convince the missus.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Carathril

#10 Post by Carathril »

The Silly Dragon wrote:I always think that the Aussies have the right way of thinking in this world! I want to live there and be a part of these people with actual common sense for a change!

They see whats needed for the future while other countries get bloated with greed.

Well Done Australia!

PS: i wish to see the great barrier reef for myself one day...will have to learn to swim first though... :oops:
I'm from australia, and belive me, there are some !@#%*@$%^&@& that are trying to impose the reform, its going to be a long fight with them, but one day they'll see the light.
Facade19 wrote:I think we Yanks got all of you beat when it comes to stupid decisions. No contest.
Nah, us Aussie are turning someing like 40% of our agricultural land into mining sites.
[color=#000000]~Shadowy Member of the Mage Kight Guild~[/color]
pk-ng

#11 Post by pk-ng »

Carathril wrote:
Facade19 wrote:I think we Yanks got all of you beat when it comes to stupid decisions. No contest.
Nah, us Aussie are turning someing like 40% of our agricultural land into mining sites.
Where you think we get our money from lol.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Carathril

#12 Post by Carathril »

pk-ng wrote:
Carathril wrote:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
The Silly Dragon

#13 Post by The Silly Dragon »

It seems alot of countries are turning their agriculture into something else. If the world is already starving (think Africa etc) then why can't we make food our priority and not iron or diamonds or whatever useless rock?

In England alot of farmland for stuff like Cattle or Crops are being turned into biofuel growing sites. WHAT? So i cannot eat but i can drive my car? Where is the logic? Where is the priority? MONEY! I wish we could just clean away all the governments of the world and put people in charge who know what they are doing and know what is needed first or how to prioritise!

I would learn how to swim but i kinda have a fear of water :oops: . I get anxious and even scared even if i just go into the water to wade. I went swimming with my Nephew (being 5 at the time) and when he asked me if i could put my head under water i said i could but then embarased myself by not being able to. He laughed but for theres something about putting my head under water and not being able to breath that scares me. I can remember when i was young (not sure how old maybe 8?) i went swimming and went down a slide and went straight under water (first time completely submerged) and it felt like i was under for 10 minutes (obviously not) and i think that has scarred me because i cannot remember swimming after that. I'm fine with not being able to swim as i will just stay away from deep pools of water :mrgreen: . Though it is sometimes embarasing.
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#14 Post by Eldacar »

pk-ng wrote:
Carathril wrote:
China, which is going to be a problem if their economy keeps slowing.
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Carathril

#15 Post by Carathril »

Eldacar wrote:
pk-ng wrote:
Carathril wrote:Nah, us Aussie are turning someing like 40% of our agricultural land into mining sites.
China, which is going to be a problem if their economy keeps slowing.
:D :D :D :D
Allerion
Librarian

#16 Post by Allerion »

Carathril wrote: I'm from australia, and belive me, there are some !@#%*@$%^&@& that are trying to impose the reform, its going to be a long fight with them, but one day they'll see the light.
Weirder things have happened. in the US, the House of Representatives blocked a bill that would provide health care funding for the first responders on 9/11.
Excited for TOW
Carathril

#17 Post by Carathril »

Allerion wrote:Weirder things have happened. in the US, the House of Representatives blocked a bill that would provide health care funding for the first responders on 9/11.
:? WTF what have they been smoking to do that???
The Silly Dragon

#18 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Carathril wrote: :? WTF what have they been smoking to do that???
The rolled up Dollar bills that they saved by not providing the healthcare?
Musashi

#19 Post by Musashi »

That's about the actual value of the USDollar, not the ascribed one.
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1317/1015107388_6c67a9c5d3_o.jpg[/img]
[color=red]Surprise is an event that takes place in the mind of the enemy commander[/color]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdU1F54FEOU]Crowbot_Jenny[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1AfDgZttw]Sunrise[/url]
[url=http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhrhr5JLBY1qc2rnro1_500.jpg]avatar[/url]
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jrt6b/The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5/]The_Castle_Series_4_Episode_5[/url]

[i]But this did not surprise them, for as it is written in the Great Elven Book of Knowing:[/i] Isn't life just one bloody thing after another.