Anyone plays Flames of War here? Advice needed :)

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

CainTheHunter

Anyone plays Flames of War here? Advice needed :)

#1 Post by CainTheHunter »

Hi! I am struggling a bit with the actual representation of models - the question is, if I take panzergrenadier platoon - which is like 7 stands coming from the box (HQ and 6 teams), how many halftracks do I need? When looking at the book, I see that the ratio is halftrack per stand (team?), but then again my book shows that for a platoon I need only a HQ + two teams. Since the entire game concept is different from anything WFB/W40K related, I am a bit confused.
KnightSanguine

Re: Anyone plays Flames of War here? Advice needed :)

#2 Post by KnightSanguine »

I can help, but can you be a more specific as to which period book you are pulling your list from?
CainTheHunter

#3 Post by CainTheHunter »

Thanx! I will get back when at home with the books :) It's the Late War to be precise. I initially wanted to play a pure Tank company, but then was told that it does not work without infantry support. I was leaning towards adding a pioneer platoon, but then figured out that I could try the other way round - taking Panzergrenadiers and giving them tank support.
I already have 5 Pz III and 5 Pz IV tanks.
KnightSanguine

#4 Post by KnightSanguine »

So, you will be fielding a Panzergrenadier Company. I suspect you actually want a Gepanzerte Panzergrenadier Kompanie since you will be using half tracks (sounds counter intuitive, but most Panzergrenadiers were actually reduced to wheeled trucks by late war.) Are you using the Festung Europa book?
CainTheHunter

#5 Post by CainTheHunter »

Yes, I know that at the end there weren't much halftracks left :P But I decided to field Grossdeutschland, which had adequate supplies, so that could justify the presence of lots of halftracks. Actually, I was looking at Fortress Europe first - what is the main difference between them, since they both cover the same period? I know I am total noob concerning FoW.
So looking at Festung Europe, Gepanzerte Panzergrenadier Kompanie needs 1 Company HQ and 2-3 Platoons. The HQ says it is the same as with ordinary PG platoons, which looks like I need the small stand with officer and MG + 2iC and halftrack - either the initial 251/1 or upgrade to 251/10.
Then next part is the one, which starts confusing me. I am not getting, whether I am done with HQ or I need four more medium stands - each with a MG team + 2 Halftracks?