Other (non GW) Games and advice about a player in our group

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andrew_uk

Other (non GW) Games and advice about a player in our group

#1 Post by Andrew_uk »

Hi everyone,

For me warhammer is a secondary hobby and one which I'm most interested in for the painting, I find the actual mechanics of warhammer Fantasy poor when compared to many European boardgames. Anyway I've played European board games for about 2 and a half years (started playing while at uni) and have played at a local club at home now for 4 months but am still the newest player. The club has 5 regular players including me and 3/4 who turn up on an ad hoc basis.

This post is more just because there is a bit of advice required about how to deal with one particular member of the club, I'm posting here specifically instead of other forums specifically because none of them use this place and I'm sure many of you will have had to deal with similar people in a gaming environment.

Anyway of the regular players 2 of the other players are very good and win their share of the games but are perfectly respectful regardless of whether they win or lose and are light-hearted in their attitude and enjoyable and challenging to play against.

I win my share too but as I say I am the newest player there, I try to be light-hearted about things but it does sometimes niggle at me when I play well and I get 'beginners luck' thrown at me - I've played well over 100 different games over the last 2 and a half years!

One of the other players, lets call him Adam (not his actual name), is a total dickhead towards people when he thinks he lost through bad luck or through other players making silly moves. I get a lot of it directed towards me as I've played in other gaming circles and have been exposed to other groups thoughts on strategy; I test alternative strategies against their collected group think and he often gets some surprises, which he sees as sheer luck.

Now the fifth of the players who come on a regular basis is Brian (notice how we now have A and B). Brian is not very good at games but thoroughly enjoys playing them and enjoys the social aspect, he's the oldest in the group and a really nice guy. Adam treats Brian even worse than me as he often thinks Brian makes silly moves that may hand the game to the rest of us, Adam also feels Brian only ever attacks him when we play games with player interaction and he isn't quiet about saying so.

The other players in the group seem willing to tolerate Adam since he is a good player and a nice challenge to play against. But it must get Brian down. This evening Adam had a total fit when he lost in two games; one he lost when Brian attacked him 3 turns from the end and the other he lost to me when I made a judgement call and it payed off even better than I could have hoped... It annoys me rather alot the way he racts when he loses. I think I get a lot of it directed at me because I'm still 'the noob' but I can brush it off and defend my strategy.

When he has a go at Brian though nobody stands up for him and I just feel so sorry for him. I sometimes try and stick up for him but theres only so much I can do as 'the noob'. How can I be diplomatic to everyone here? I need to be especially diplomatic towards Adam as he's one of the groups longest running members and I don't want to be told to stop coming but he needs to be brought down a peg or two.

I really am dreading going along next week as Adam has said that he doesn't care about winning for the next couple of weeks, he'd rather just ruin Brians game to teach him a lesson. This will achieve nothing as the only way to 'educate players' and help them improve is to explain the rationale for your strategies and lead by example. Whats worse is this is gonna ruin the games for the rest of us... I won't want to play if someones specifically trying to ruin the games.

Help?
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Giladis
The Merlord

Re: Other (non GW) Games and advice about a player in our group

#2 Post by Giladis »

If you can't reach to the problematic guy make sure to inform the "victim" what he will be up against. Maybe team up to do a double on the "villian". Or you could give the A guy between the ears and tell him to get to his senses you aren't kids any more.
Phloop

#3 Post by Phloop »

Get out of the "I'm the noob" mentality. If you've been there longer than a year then you're part of the group and your voice means something. I'd tell him straight out that he's being very childish about a game. It's a hobby, not a career, the moment it becomes stressful is when it fails in its objective.
[size=50]Track record since May 2011:[/size]
Ξ W 16 Ξ L 34 Ξ D 5 Ξ
[quote="Ptolemy"]Becalming [Cognition] is a bastard. Its a bastard child of OJ Simpson and Cruella DeVille. [...] As if having a giant Toad that got instructions on magic from ET wasn't enough, they give it the powers of Zen Buddhist Kung-Fu flick monks on top of it.[/quote]
Allerion
Librarian

#4 Post by Allerion »

sounds like a 12 year old kid.

spank him.
Excited for TOW
Andrew_uk

#5 Post by Andrew_uk »

Allerion wrote:sounds like a 12 year old kid.

spank him.
This made me laugh, he's in his late thirties. B is in his 60s I believe... with the other players being in their forties/fifties I'm by far the youngest player. It's this combined with the fact that I'm the newest into their gaming group that makes me think I have no place telling more established players when they need to grow up and it's why I think I get 'noob luck' thrown at me by Adam when I do win especially when I do by a strategy he hasn't considered.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Lord Anathir

#6 Post by Lord Anathir »

!!! 30? 60? these people should know how to act by now. in the gaming groups i've been a part of over time people just learn to accept other's faults. Maybe just tell him in private hes being a dick?
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Andrew_uk

#7 Post by Andrew_uk »

Met up today for a whole day of gaming! We had enough for us to split into two separate groups so I managed to just stay out of it. The others ended up playing a game themed on war and just got it out of their system really while I had a chance to play a game I'd been keen to try for weeks, Wars of the Roses:Lancaster vs York. It was an amazing game and if anybody here is interested in boardgames too I strongly suggest you try it! Anyways later in the day the older guy I mentioned actually won a game which was nice for him

Idaho

#8 Post by Idaho »

I say this not trying to be insulting or anything, but your friends need to get a back bone. If any of my mates started talking down to any of the others, everyone stands up for themselves and no-one stands for someone ruining the atmosphere. Sounds to me like the guy is a minor bully and when everyone just lowers their gaze when he starts.

Sorry if this offends you or anyone else, but that's the impression I got.

I do understand the feeling of being new and not wanting to make waves, I do it myself too. After a year you should be comfortable and it's worrying if you don't feel comfortable. It sounds like it is down to this guy.